Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
I also haven't played the DLC. What are these Chosen exactly?
3 henchmen of the ethereals who act as continent bosses who you collect "intel" resources on on the strategy level to uncover and kill, until then on the tactical level they'll they keep randomly popping in during missions in their territory, good fun
one's a bladed assasin type with ninjutsu, one's a dickass thief type with a sniper rifle, third's a wizard
rooting them out rewards you with their swag and puts an end to them constantly sending you hateful videomail
do these new enemies and the way they're portrayed / rolled out feel like a children cartoon or anime-ish to you?
They are hilariously bad and cringe.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've finished Xcom 2 vanilla on Legendary/Ironman and I've finished Xcom 2 WotC on same difficulty. Expansion is noticeably easier game. It is much easier at start due to new busted characters. Start with Templar and you never need to redo first mission ever again. And Chosen were super cringe and irritating and as soon as you kill them you get their weapons that makes already super easy end game even easier and pointless. You might as well click I win button as soon as you kill last Chosen.
Also Zombies didn't bring anything good except too long bad missions.

agris

Arcane
Patron
If you want a more "grounded" game, go for XCOM 1 + Long War mod + Long War Rebalance modmod *.
If you want more craziness and mindless fun, then XCOM 2 + WotC + handpicked selection of mods.
Thanks, this wasn’t evident to me. I thought base X2 was plenty grounded.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Grunker can you expand on what makes some of the WotC content "the best"?

The new soldiers types are very fun and feel like they complete the game. The additional mission variety is sorely needed, as is the additional enemy variety, especially with ADVENT.
I absolutely love templars. They have the potential to be the most broken class type in the game.
If you luck out and get one that has access to ranger abilities through the training school or whatever it is called, you can create a soldier that is basically immune to most attacks and can just solo entire encounters.

Reapers are pretty filthy too. They actually make stealth gameplay viable and you can troll the enemy with their traps and environment destruction.
sounds highly tactical!
I know you're being sarcastic, but as tactical games go Firaxcom isn't it. Yes, there are supposed to be tactics in the form of flanking, but due to how maps are designed and how the pod mechanic works, it's more efficient to just destroy cover with grenades and use your soldiers' gear and abilities to win fights. Which, funnily enough, is sort of strategic in itself as you have to work out various synergies, loadouts and combos. I guess its more like a card based game without the cards, in that respect?

If you're looking for a deep squad based tactical game this isn't it. If it weren't for the perma death it would be a pretty casual foray into tactics games.

agris

Arcane
Patron

The new soldiers types are very fun and feel like they complete the game. The additional mission variety is sorely needed, as is the additional enemy variety, especially with ADVENT.
I absolutely love templars. They have the potential to be the most broken class type in the game.
If you luck out and get one that has access to ranger abilities through the training school or whatever it is called, you can create a soldier that is basically immune to most attacks and can just solo entire encounters.

Reapers are pretty filthy too. They actually make stealth gameplay viable and you can troll the enemy with their traps and environment destruction.
sounds highly tactical!
I know you're being sarcastic, but as tactical games go Firaxcom isn't it. Yes, there are supposed to be tactics in the form of flanking, but due to how maps are designed and how the pod mechanic works, it's more efficient to just destroy cover with grenades and use your soldiers' gear and abilities to win fights. Which, funnily enough, is sort of strategic in itself as you have to work out various synergies and combos. I guess its more like a card based game without the cards, in that respect?

If you're looking for a deep squad based tactical game this isn't it. If it weren't for the perma death it would be a pretty casual foray into tactics games.
my brother in Christ I’m just trying to play a 2 action nuXcom game without having my brain raped by anime and eyes gored on whatever the hell abominations they unleashed in those DLC gear packs

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
it's more efficient to just destroy cover with grenades and use your soldiers' gear and abilities to win fights. Which, funnily enough, is sort of strategic in itself as you have to work out various synergies and combos. I guess its more like a card based game without the cards, in that respect?

I find this statement interesting in that it could imply a clear connection and progression between XC2 and Midnight Suns. Did you play MS?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
it's more efficient to just destroy cover with grenades and use your soldiers' gear and abilities to win fights. Which, funnily enough, is sort of strategic in itself as you have to work out various synergies and combos. I guess its more like a card based game without the cards, in that respect?

I find this statement interesting in that it could imply a clear connection and progression between XC2 and Midnight Suns. Did you play MS?
No, it looked too cringe to me.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

sounds highly tactical!
I know you're being sarcastic, but as tactical games go Firaxcom isn't it. Yes, there are supposed to be tactics in the form of flanking, but due to how maps are designed and how the pod mechanic works, it's more efficient to just destroy cover with grenades and use your soldiers' gear and abilities to win fights. Which, funnily enough, is sort of strategic in itself as you have to work out various synergies and combos. I guess its more like a card based game without the cards, in that respect?

my brother in Christ I’m just trying to play a 2 action nuXcom game without having my brain raped by anime and eyes gored on whatever the hell abominations they unleashed in those DLC gear packs
Anime nonsense is in the base game too though. WoTC did not
introduce super saiyans who can use kamehamehas. No, I'm not joking. The late game is silly

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

No, it looked too cringe to me.
Well, it's definitely that. The card battles are fun though. It's sort of like a gourmet meal that someone took a giant shit on before it was served to you.

mastroego

Arcane
If you want a more "grounded" game, go for XCOM 1 + Long War mod + Long War Rebalance modmod *.
If you want more craziness and mindless fun, then XCOM 2 + WotC + handpicked selection of mods.
Thanks, this wasn’t evident to me. I thought base X2 was plenty grounded.

XC1 + LW + LWR is where it's at, imho.
LW Rebalance's devs have been delving deeper and deeper into the codebase of the game, it's unbelievable how much the game has evolved even from LW, which was already a "modding event" in itself.
(I mean the byproduct of it was a new game studio).

XCOM2 can be fun too, but it's bound to be a less "structured" experience.
There's a reason why a similar "complete" mod setup isn't available for it.
This is why I wouldn't understand the removal of WotC, engine fixes aside. What I mean is, if you're there, you might as well embrace it. I and I do mean to play XCOM2 again, sometime.
But LWR is the (modern) XCOM game.

mastroego

Arcane
Didn't Longwar introduce silly things like bigger 'lids though?
I don't think the gargantuan versions are in LWR anymore.
But yes, there were issues with LW, even though it was a fantastic mod already for what it brought to the table.

But tust me, everything has been reworked, and for the better, in LWR. By now LW is but a distant memory.
Even Air Combat can be fun in LWR.

I'd say the only WotC downside is that it's you know, a tiny little ONEME.
I have no idea of what's supposed to mean, but generally speaking I would say that the only real downside of WOTC is how it's more than a bit on the "cheesy" side when it comes to narrative and overall tone/mood.
The over-the-top "chatty villains who send you hatemails" have a saturday morning cartoon vibe more than anything.

But given that frankly speaking the franchise was always garish as fuck and only petulant wankers cry about "muh narrative depth" in a tactical game, I feel completely justified in saying that one has to be a top tier retard to buy the full package and then avoid the DLC/expansion that on a mechanical level makes the entire game orders of magnitude better.

WOTC includes:

- A lot more visual assets, types of maps and types of missions
- Some significant improvements in your base-building, with few very impactful changes and additions.
- The zombies/lost, that add a very enjoyable variable to the way you can (and should) approach combat when they show up.
- Two new EXCELLENT classes, not just powerful (and boy, they are) but a good vehicle for entirely new playstiles... and a vaguely serviceable one (sorry Skirmisher, all things considered you suck).
- Some of the best equipment in the game.
- Interesting elements of randomization to the soldiers (they all come with an unique and randomly generated skill tree and some variations in the base stats, now. That makes each one to some degree unique).
- last but not least, the game changer that is the Fatigue mechanic, something that actively forces the player to rotate different teams rather than encouraging you to stick just with your best one. This also pairs tremendously well with the new "Covert missions" and other multiple ways to level up all the other generally-inactive soldiers.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll just parrot that you need to play with WotC, it really upgrades the game on all fronts. Especially on a techincal level.

Or you can play Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children instead :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'd say the only WotC downside is that it's you know, a tiny little ONEME.
I have no idea of what's supposed to mean, but generally speaking I would say that the only real downside of WOTC is how it's more than a bit on the "cheesy" side when it comes to narrative and overall tone/mood.
The over-the-top "chatty villains who send you hatemails" have a saturday morning cartoon vibe more than anything.

But given that frankly speaking the franchise was always garish as fuck and only petulant wankers cry about "muh narrative depth" in a tactical game, I feel completely justified in saying that one has to be a top tier retard to buy the full package and then avoid the DLC/expansion that on a mechanical level makes the entire game orders of magnitude better.

WOTC includes:

- A lot more visual assets, types of maps and types of missions
- Some significant improvements in your base-building, with few very impactful changes and additions.
- The zombies/lost, that add a very enjoyable variable to the way you can (and should) approach combat when they show up.
- Two new EXCELLENT classes, not just powerful (and boy, they are) but a good vehicle for entirely new playstiles... and a vaguely serviceable one (sorry Skirmisher, all things considered you suck).
- Some of the best equipment in the game.
- Interesting elements of randomization to the soldiers (they all come with an unique and randomly generated skill tree and some variations in the base stats, now. That makes each one to some degree unique).
- last but not least, the game changer that is the Fatigue mechanic, something that actively forces the player to rotate different teams rather than encouraging you to stick just with your best one. This also pairs tremendously well with the new "Covert missions" and other multiple ways to level up all the other generally-inactive soldiers.
I will accept Fatigue is good but at the time WotC came out I was playing LW2 for vanilla Xcom2 which was superior in every way except engine fixes.
If engine fixes were given to vanilla, LW2 would remain the way to play.
Maybe that was what Firaxis was afraid of..

Hellraiser

Arcane
sorry Skirmisher, all things considered you suck
rare-reeeeee.gif

TBH I always liked using skirmishers more than reapers, they better meshed with how I liked to play. Yes they overlap with rangers too much in terms of what they bring to a mission, but the "get over here" ability is a very useful tool.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I also haven't played the DLC. What are these Chosen exactly?
3 henchmen of the ethereals who act as continent bosses who you collect "intel" resources on on the strategy level to uncover and kill, until then on the tactical level they'll they keep randomly popping in during missions in their territory, good fun
one's a bladed assasin type with ninjutsu, one's a dickass thief type with a sniper rifle, third's a wizard
rooting them out rewards you with their swag and puts an end to them constantly sending you hateful videomail
do these new enemies and the way they're portrayed / rolled out feel like a children cartoon or anime-ish to you?

A lot of the problems you seem to think you'll have with WotC you will almost certainly have with the base XCOM2 game as well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And yes, as I previously said, Fatigue is just pure incline and the fact that agris' review complains about it at all is almost enough reason to dismiss it outright

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's no mod that lets me have melee weapons on Xcom1 though right? Other than the discount mechapilots.

mastroego

Arcane
I may just scrap X2 and give X1 LWR a shot.

If you do, avoid the higher difficulties at first.
Some knowledge of the mechanics is required in order not to be totally owned by the aliens on brutal and such.

There's a dedicated LWR discord channel too.
People will discuss tactics there, which can be useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom