Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Sail The River of Time - 21 (Rat Diplomacy)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
trotupdate01.jpg

* Update 1 - Night Camp
* Update 2 - Exploring Nadoret
* Update 3 - Bickerbolds and Big Frogs
* Update 4 - Mage in training
* Update 5 - But Thou Must
* Update 6 - Choice
* Update 7 - Not The Bees!!
* Update 8 - Gathering the Crew
* Update 9 - Foreboding prophecies
* Update 10 - Sneaking in
* Update 11 - Kicking the door in
* Update 12 - Tentacles in the deep
* Update 13 - Ardo Attacked and Missing Folk
* Update 14 - Return to Nadoret to find a Vortex
* Update 15 - You is a warwilf?
* Update 16 - Trolls at the bridge
* Update 17 - Water nymphs are all houris
* Update 18 - The Ox Herder
* Update 19 - Entering the Thieves' Guild
* Update 20 - Thieves' Work
* Update 21 - Rat Diplomacy

It's time for a bit more cRPG in our Let's Plays, and what better RPG than one I recently enjoyed, reviewed, and am finishing up the GameBanshee subsite for: Drakensang: The River of Time.

I'm an old fan of the The Dark Eye PnP system. It was released as Oog Des Meesters in its 2nd edition in the 90s and I didn't half play it to death then. I also greatly enjoyed the old Northland Trilogy, the Realms of Arkania games as the franchise was then called in the US.

Drakensang: The Dark Eye was naturally a bit of a disappointment held up to the standards from PnP and Realms of Arkania, but still a solid RPG in its own right. Trying too hard to imitate big brother BioWare, it lost itself in trash mobs and shitty epic storytelling. I did like what I saw of the 4th edition, and having bought an English language rulebook, I like a lot of the things they did with the rules. It's a great system.

The River of Time took everything that I complained about in my Drakensang: TDE review and removed or improved it. Better travelling system, better encounter design, better quest design, better story, more engaging companions, and so on and so forth. It's not a great RPG by most measures, and certainly not by the Codex' standards, and it really slips and slides at some points, but it's pretty damn good.

One thing it lacks in overall is choices. It's not as bad as some, but it has only a handful of clearly demarcated choices (which do have consequences), for the most part it BioWare-style provides you with false dialog options and the like. Still, forgive it that...

The intro is, typically, not on Youtube, and I lack the means to put it there. Here are the first 12 minutes of the game, though I suggest you turn it off after the intro because the video is from someone who can't figure out the controls. Need I say more?

trotupdate02.jpg

You're plonked into the adventure, and other than this being a prequel to Drakensang: TDE, with two companions from that game (Gladys and Forgrimm) acting as narrators (well, Forgrimm, really), you don't really know much. Not anything, really. That works for me.

Forgrimm's voice actor is one of the better ones to be honest, some of the others (Cano, Beggar Greyhair) are really bad. But it still gets to me when an actor is not properly explained the subject matter. The way he enunciates "1009 after Bosparan's Fall" makes it sound as if this happens just after Bosparan's Fall, but aBF is just TDE's way of counting years (their AD, in other words).

trotupdate03.jpg

This bad mommojamma will serve as our PC for this adventure. I've finished the game as a Geode (Dwarven druid) and as a Charlatan (rogue/mage multiclass type), so I'm constantly using magic users. Still, can't get much purer in magic users than the Tulamide options the game gives you. The Elemental Mage is cool, but I opted for the Metamage, probably the most dedicated magic class.

He's a Tulamide, a race of humans from the southern parts of the main continent. Darker-skinned, Arab-like, basically. The Mhandistani (Elemental Mage is one) culture are polygamous and fairly carefree. The Novadi worship Rastullah, the One God, where pretty much everyone else worships the Twelve Gods (with Praios as the head maestro). Even dwarves do, though they refer to Ingerrim as Angrosh, the father of all dwarves. Elves don't worship anything because they're snooty douchebags. The Novadi are fairly unique in their faith in this world's version of Allah, believing the Twelve Gods do exist but are mere disciples.

All Tulamides believe women are inferior and property of their men (young Novadi women have a bit of freedom though), which is also a unique attitude in this world because - as the rule book explains - women are not physically inferior to men. Some whim of nature, who knows, but that's how it is. There are still male and female-dominated societies though, and the Tulamides are male-dominated.

The Novadi, furthermore, host more suspect schools of magic, practicing the dark art of Necromancy and the like. Our hero, Sayyid ibn (son of) Nasreddin, studied at such a school, the School of Magic at Mherwed. His teacher (and father?), Nasreddin ben Nazir sal Cherek ben Hamar al-Alam, decided the pupil had learned all he could at this school, and sent him to the mage Master Brookbeard in Nadoret, to put the final shine and polish on the student's training.

And that's where we are, en route and right close to Nadoret. But first, character creation! Naturally I dive into "expert mode" after providing Sayyid with the proper scowly face to suit his angry, infidel-smiting demeanour.

trotupdate04.jpg

This is your basic setup. You can not learn skills your character does not know from character creation, but everything else can be edited to suit your balancing needs. I took a point from agility to put into intuition since a true mage has no need for agility, and similarly I removed the advantages Intuitive (+1 intuition) and High Resistance to Magic (+3 Magic Resistance). I instead opted for the penalty of "Artisan Talent Penalty" (-2 to all Artisan skills except lock pick) as a true mage blabla you know the drill. This freed up enough leveling points to take the massively useful Rapid AE-Regeneration bonus.

trotupdate05.jpg

The spells known to this young student. Fastness of Body is a shield spell, the Attributios are temporary buffs, Corpofrigo Cold Shock is a handy penalty-inducing spell for longer fights, Ignafixus is a typical attack spell, handy against some opponents but not too much against others. Light in the Darkness is your basic Light spell. Skeletarius summons a skeleton. Master of Animals converts an animal to your side temporarily. I redistributed some leftover points over the spells, Staves fighting skill and human nature/fast talk.

trotupdate06.jpg

Oh yeah. Ready to take on this world of infidels. You shall all burn.

First gameplay update tomorrow. Also an odd question: I'm currently running the game with hi-res textures and most other graphical options to max, and the screens of the next few updates will all be at high settings. The game looks better but it's also a bit of a pain to run, not because it runs slowly but because loading screens take a very long time to load. Do you guys mind if I turn down some stuff?

bandaid

Educated
Re: Let's Sail The River of Time

Brother None said:
Do you guys mind if I turn down some stuff?

No, not at all. Proceed good sir, I am most curious of your mishaps.

:thumbsup:

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Re: Let's Sail The River of Time

Nice idea. I've already finished the game as a metamage and was considering trying it again with another class. TRoT is truly a charming experience. Original and effective character system, decent quest design, varied encounters, pretty (though unsurprising) environments... Sadly it suffers from the now traditional RTwP. i know I should have gotten over it now, but Baldur's Gate really hurt cRPG with this knd of bastard control scheme.

Also: we are no graphix whores!

Cassidy

Arcane
Would've done this if I had the patience for doing LPs of games where dialogues play an integral part and thus would lead me to inevitably type them instead of filling the thread with superfluous screenshots showing the same dialogues.

Being the best CRPG of 2010 by and far, and considering I never tried it with a spellcaster besides a quick check on Nadoret to see the differences in the initiation quests for different kinds of archetypes, carry on.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not sure if I want to get Drakensang sequel, then I remembered, there's no way of getting it now since they closed down. Depressing. BACK TO WORK (#%^(@&YG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is a p. fun game. I only played a Streuner (dunno what that archetype is called in the English version), so will be following this LP.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I've finished the game as a metamage. It is the best mage, imo. Starting with Skeletarius is a very big advantage... it's the best summon by far. Other mages need to wait a long time til they can buy the spell.

Points in Human nature aren't necessary, though - you can buy spell "See true and pure" for that early.

What's great about River of Time is the lesser emphasis on combat and that pretty much every archetype/race gets its own unique content.

RK47 said:
I'm not sure if I want to get Drakensang sequel, then I remembered, there's no way of getting it now since they closed down. Depressing. BACK TO WORK (#%^(@&YG
It was stealth-released on Steam a few days ago.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cassidy said:
Would've done this if I had the patience for doing LPs of games where dialogues play an integral part and thus would lead me to inevitably type them instead of filling the thread with superfluous screenshots showing the same dialogues.

Me neither. I just took the texts from the relevant db4 file. They're unsorted, but a quick ctrl+F gets the job done a lot quicker than typing. Still a lot to go through though.

Ogg said:
Sadly it suffers from the now traditional RTwP. i know I should have gotten over it now, but Baldur's Gate really hurt cRPG with this knd of bastard control scheme.

It doesn't help that it's not particularly well-designed RTwP.

Crooked Bee said:
This is a p. fun game. I only played a Streuner (dunno what that archetype is called in the English version), so will be following this LP.

They call it rogue in the game. Not a very accurate translation, I know.

I did all the background quests for the walkthrough, the rogue/thief classes probably got the best ones.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sayyid.jpg
Here we are then. Cast amongst the infidels like pearls before swine. Let us make the best of it. At least we have almost reached Nadoret.

trotupdate1_1.jpg

albass.jpg
You promised to make yourself useful during our journey. I forgot all about that, or I would have given you something to do much sooner.

sayyid.jpg
Your mind must be playing tricks with you. This is the first thing I've heard of a deal.

albass.jpg
Hoho, I may be old, but I'm not stupid. I can offer you passage to Nadoret and in return you'll help out on deck as needs be.

albass.jpg
Well? Can you get on board with that, or is this the end of your little excursion?

trotupdate1_2.jpg

Option #2 taken, obviously.

albass.jpg
Hoho, such pride in one so young! Well, think it over. It's not much to ask."

sayyid.jpg
Hoho yourself. Hmmm. Pride. I am guessing this is a final lesson in humility from my old master. Blast his eyes!

albass.jpg
Lend old Piet a hand to set up camp for the night. We'll set off at first light tomorrow - our paying passengers are in a hurry.

sayyid.jpg
Captain, there's something I wanted to ask you.

sayyid.jpg
What can you tell me about Nadoret?

albass.jpg
Well, what can I say? It's a small and rather pretty trading town on the Great River, ruled by the honorable Baron Dajin of Nadoret.

Enough of that, we search out old Piet.

trotupdate1_3.jpg

He sounds delightful.

piet.jpg
Who? What? Oh! It's someone from the boat. What was your name again?

sayyid.jpg
... Sayyid ibn Nasreddin! How could you forget?

trotupdate1_4.jpg

Because you're dumb? I shall sear my name onto your bones!

sayyid.jpg
I don't really have much of a choice.

The game is gaining self awareness, it seems.

piet.jpg
Do I have a choice? You will be rid of him tomorrow, whereas I will probably be slaving away under his command until the day the river takes my soul. I should get you to do my work as well ...

What a delightful fellow.

piet.jpg
Or not. Who knows what a mess you'd make of it ... I seem to remember that someone chose to waste their money on betting instead of buying tinder fungus in Ferdok!

janah.jpg
No, that's not true! Somebody stole the money and I was so shocked by the theft that I forgot to buy the tinder fungus. Really!

Hah! A likely story.

Tinder fungus is one of the many harvestable herbs or moulds in this game, with sufficient plant lore. Tinder fungus is a fungus that grows mostly in caves and is vital to adventurers for use in tinder boxes, to start fires. In this game, it serves to create incendiary ammo for bows or crossbows.

sayyid.jpg
I don't have any tinder fungus either. How can I help?

piet.jpg
Well, someone will have to find some dry tinder fungus somewhere on this island and you are going with them, just in case ...

sayyid.jpg
I am not hearing this. You are going to send out a mage from the school of magic of Mherwed to fetch some tinder fungus? Infidel, I could incinerate you where you stand. I'm sure we can start a fire from your smouldering carcass.

janah.jpg
I'm not scared! I would go on my own if it wasn't so dull ...

We're docked to a tiny island that isn't large enough to house any wildlife that could be much of a threat. She's right not to be scared.

piet.jpg
(in a whisper) Make sure she comes back in one piece - or you'll have me to deal with! Janah is in enough trouble as it is.

sayyid.jpg
Why don't you go with her?

piet.jpg
My knees baulk at the very idea, that's why! Now go on, get a move on youngsters!

sayyid.jpg
Of course. Come on, Janah! Let's go!

janah.jpg
And then you can tell me what he whispered to you ... Come on!

piet.jpg
Don't you dare! And Janah - no dawdling and jabbering about, there's work to be done!

janah.jpg
Come on, tell me! What did he whisper to you?

sayyid.jpg
A bit more respect - please! It's bad enough that we have to hunt around here like this because of you.

janah.jpg
You're almost as bad as Piet. This'll be fun.

janah.jpg
I think there might be some tinder fungus inside the ruined tower. Let's take a look there.

trotupdate1_5.jpg

We head towards the old tower.

trotupdate1_6.jpg

We seem to be in luck as there is some tinder fungus growing outside, but...

janah.jpg
It's as wet as a bowl of Kosh Cabbage Broth! We won't find a shred of dry tinder fungus out here if Efferd has blessed the entire island with his wonders.

Efferd is one of the Twelve Gods, lord of the ocean.

sayyid.jpg
I didn't think we'd need this long. But you don't seem to be much good at anything.

trotupdate1_7.jpg

janah.jpg
I know! While we're here, let's take a look inside the ruined tower. I bet it's still nice and dry inside.

sayyid.jpg
Hm, that old ruin looks as though it might collapse at any moment. I'm not so sure about this ...

janah.jpg
Are you afraid? How embarrassing! We won't find any tinder fungus anywhere else. Come on!

trotupdate1_8.jpg

The ruined tower leads to a small cave, adjoining the sea.

janah.jpg
I'm not so sure that we should go in there. There seems to be a cave in there ... and in Piet's tales only one person ever gets out of a cave alive.

And she was just now mocking me for bravery.

sayyid.jpg
Hm, you're right. You should go in alone.

janah.jpg
What? You must be mad! Either we go in there together, or I'll tell everyone back at the camp that you are a coward. Come on, you can lead the way! I'm right behind you.

And so we get our first, temporary party member.

trotupdate1_9.jpg

Summoning a skeleton mage for back-up purposes, I don't know how much use this Jana is.

trotupdate1_10.jpg

But our only opposition seems to be a bunch of bats, who drop easily. Combat is a basic RTwP affair, you can queue up actions for party members you directly control (only me, right now), while non-controlled party members work by their own AI routine. The skeleton mage casts his own spells. The only AI settings are agressive (attack with weapons or spells) or passive (let the player decide). It's a bit simplistic, but it works.

janah.jpg
Thank the Twelfgods you were here ... Otherwise ... er ... nobody would believe me when I tell them what happened.

Fine. Let's look around.

trotupdate1_11.jpg

What's this then?

trotupdate1_12.jpg

The who?

sayyid.jpg
Who is this Riverfather that you speak of?

janah.jpg
According to Piet, the Riverfather has watched over the Great River since time immemorial. Legend has it that he appears in the guise of a river creature, an old man ... or even in the form of a walking willow! And he is friends with the sprites, too!

sayyid.jpg
Oh, come on! That's just superstitious nonsense!

janah.jpg
But how exactly do you know that?

trotupdate1_13.jpg

A talent check! I'm not very good at fast talking, though...

janah.jpg
[Failure] What a load of rubbish! That's a sacrificial shrine... really!

Oh well. I can still continue on, but it's worth noting that dialog-talent checks always net you experience if you succeed at them, and often smaller side rewards, even if they do not influence the course of the conversations significantly, like here.

sayyid.jpg
Bah, the Riverfather is just an old fairytale! I'm going to open it.

janah.jpg
Oh, no! If I could, I would leave you here right now!

Haha yes! All the riches of the River Father are mine!

trotupdate1_14.jpg

Oh. Well, still better than nothing.

janah.jpg
H ... hey ... There's s-s ... something rising out of the water!

Oh no, the Wrath of the Riverfather!!!

trotupdate1_15.jpg

Ahahaha.

trotupdate1_16.jpg

Not exactly a big threat.

janah.jpg
There you have it! Your greed has brought the wrath of the Riverfather down on us! And I bet that was just a taste of what's to come. It's all your fault!

I bet it is!
Spoiler: no it isn't. As far as I know this has no long-term consequences.

sayyid.jpg
Bah, what a load of trollop! Calm down, won't you?

A load of...trollop? I know you're a foreigner and all, Sayyid, but that ain't right.

janah.jpg
Whether or not I calm down is beside the point. Just so long as the Riverfather calms down! If Piet knew what was going on here ... he would never calm down again!

janah.jpg
Alright, now let's find some of that blasted tinder fungus already!

Almost forgot.

trotupdate1_17.jpg

There is some growing in the rotting planks of that boat.

janah.jpg
At last! A piece of dry tinder fungus! Let's take this back to Piet right now. I'm looking forward to a nice warm fire.

sayyid.jpg
I want to return to the camp, too. Let's go.

trotupdate1_18.jpg

sayyid.jpg
That's what I've been wanting to ask you the whole time!

sayyid.jpg
Actually, it's you I'd like to know more about.

janah.jpg
Me? Um ... why? I'm sure that you will have adventures and be rich and powerful one day - but as for me ... well, there's nothing interesting to say about me."

trotupdate1_19.jpg

Second option, naturally.

janah.jpg
You're hardly modest, are you? But it would be interesting to find out what becomes of you one day ...

sayyid.jpg
Do you know anything about the other three passengers?

janah.jpg
Well, if you know anything about them, you just have to tell me! I've already tried to get some information out of that good-looking, dark-haired fellow.

janah.jpg
But the Dwarf and the blond-haired fellow with the broad shoulders drove me away as soon as they saw what was going on. With all their whispering and carrying on, they're like a gaggle of old maids, hhm?

sayyid.jpg
They certainly seem to be up to something.

janah.jpg
That's for sure! They argue all the time, but they are very careful to make sure that nobody overhears what they?re saying. Maybe they are planning a robbery, or perhaps they are imperial agents!

Enough gossipping like old wives, time to head back.

trotupdate1_20.jpg

albass.jpg
It's a relief to see that you have returned unharmed. We were a bit worried. Especially Piet!

piet.jpg
What do you mean were worried? I still am worried! Shaky-legs Karl told me all about what happened.

sayyid.jpg
Well never mind all that. We're back and we even have some tinder fungus.

albass.jpg
Good news at last! Piet, stop babbling and take care of the fire. Alright?

piet.jpg
Hurumpf! You take care of the fire, Janah.

janah.jpg
But ...

albass.jpg
Sayyid ibn Nasreddin, and you go ...

sayyid.jpg
... go to sleep. All that fossicking about was very tiring.

albass.jpg
When I was your age I had more respect for those older and wiser than myself. It was a hard day for all of us and we all need some sleep.

sayyid.jpg
Why should I respect some heathen?

albass.jpg
Tell your three traveling companions over there that the camp is set for the night. But do not otherwise disturb them. Understood?

sayyid.jpg
There's something else I have to tell you. We found something in the cave below the ruined tower - Janah thinks it might be a shrine consecrated to the Riverfather.

albass.jpg
Don't let Piet hear about that. What about it?

sayyid.jpg
I searched the shrine for treasure.

albass.jpg
Aha ... and is there anything you'd like to tell me?

sayyid.jpg
A giant frog crawled out of the river and attacked us.

albass.jpg
And Janah thought that was a sign of the Riverfather's wrath? Don't worry too much about it or you'll end up falling in the river. And that would only confirm Piet's fears!

Let's go troll Piet.

piet.jpg
What do you want?

sayyid.jpg
I plundered a shrine consecrated to the Riverfather.

piet.jpg
Whaaat? Are you mad? You will have to atone for this wicked deed if you ever want to get anywhere in this life. Or I promise you, you'll not forget my words ... or the Riverfather ... for a long time to come!

trotupdate1_21.jpg

On to the three traveling merchants. It's possible to catch some of what they're saying before they switch topics as we approach, it doesn't sound very merchanty.

ardo.jpg
I'm sorry, but we're in the middle of an important discussion.

sayyid.jpg
You're also traveling to Nadoret, aren't you?

forgrimm.jpg
That's none of your business! But ... um ... we don't have anything to hide, so I guess we can tell you. We are ...

ardo.jpg
We are ... we're merely traveling merchants ... and we have important matters to discuss.

forgrimm.jpg
That's right, we have a private matter to discuss, so push off!

cano.jpg
Oh my, you are such an elegant and subtle character, Gammlund ... I am impressed.

forgrimm.jpg
What's that supposed to mean? Are you making fun of me, Cano? ... Er ... Foxhill, I mean Foxhill!

These guys? Totally not dodgy at all.

ardo.jpg
It would be better if you left us alone now ... I'm sure that one of the ... boatmen ... would be glad to chat with you.

trotupdate1_22.jpg

cano.jpg
Oh, thank you for this reassuring piece of information. I'm sure we've earned a nap.

forgrimm.jpg
I have to agree with him there. I'll sleep like a log after all that cursed rocking and rolling about on the ship.

ardo.jpg
Nobody is going to bed yet! Or have either of you slackards come up with a good idea yet?

forgrimm.jpg
... er ...

cano.jpg
... hmmm ...

ardo.jpg
Please explain to the captain that we have matters to discuss and that it will take as long as it takes ... we wish to remain undisturbed. Understood?

sayyid.jpg
Why are you being so unfriendly? I just wanted to get to know you!

trotupdate1_23.jpg

Oh shit!!!

cano.jpg
Don't take it to heart. My friend's ax is much sharper than his mind ... and his moods are far worse than his breath!

forgrimm.jpg
Cano, just say the word and I'll introduce you to my ax as well!

cano.jpg
Ah, thank you for your kind offer but I have already had the pleasure ... And by the way, my name is Dabro, not Cano. Dabro Foxhill, remember?

ardo.jpg
Stop it, both of you! Now let's get on with our discussion, if we may! Forgive me, kind Sir, but we wish to be alone.

Right. With that, we can return to the captain.

sayyid.jpg
They wanted to discuss something before turning in for the night.

albass.jpg
Well, that's their business, isn't it? Thank you for helping to set the camp for the night.

albass.jpg
Piet has laid out your bedroll - it's the one with the yellow blanket over by the fire. Sleep well, comrade!

trotupdate1_24.jpg

To rest.

WHEN SUDDENLY!

trotupdate1_25.jpg

Oh crap!

trotupdate1_26.jpg

Pirates!

trotupdate1_27.jpg

Oh no!

I summon a skeleton to aid me as two of the pirates attack.

trotupdate1_28.jpg

Before I take care of them, I help Janah.

janah.jpg
Thank you. I could already hear the beating of Golgari's wings.

trotupdate1_29.jpg

One pirate already fell to the skeleton, and we gang up on the last one. He dies quick.

trotupdate1_30.jpg

albass.jpg
Help! Help me!

trotupdate1_31.jpg

What?

trotupdate1_32.jpg

Oh sh-

trotupdate1_33.jpg

The last thing Sayyid sees is the merchants run past him to engage more pirates, before he blacks out.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's a wonder the Riverfather didn't send one of his giant (mud)crabs to deal with Sayyid. :smug:

Cenobyte

Prophet
Hach, Drasa 2 :D
I didn't really liked the first Drakensang game and had really low expectations for the second game, but it really surprised me in a positive way. I'll follow your lp!

Erebus

Arcane
The Dark Eye was the first RPG I discovered. Neither the system nor the setting makes it anything more than sub-D&D (at best). That being said, the mechanics used in the game seem more developed.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'd disagree. The setting is more whimsical (pre Borbarad's Return) and thus less standard than Forgotten Realms. It doesn't have the many interesting sidesettings though.

The rules are easily much, much better. I really dislike AD&D's ruleset though so take that as it is.

abnaxus said:
It's a wonder the Riverfather didn't send one of his giant (mud)crabs to deal with Sayyid.

Would've pwned my ass. I can't penetrate RS for shit yet.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Those sand niggers don't respect our most sincere religious traditions. Blame multikult!

That being said, hats off for transcribing all those dialogue lines. Even with the help of dialogue scripts, it must be a very boring work. The community thanks you for your efforts.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It is a bit of work mostly because the dialog file isn't sorted by any game-chronological order so you have to ctrl-F each line, and then take out some weird stuff (tends to replace ' with ? for instance), but it's pretty easy with the script in hand.

I don't think it'll remain interesting to read though. This game is pretty wordy and it gets a bit repetitive or lore-specific at points. I plan to be more detailed in the starting chapters but after a while certain areas (like the hunting grounds) should be just skirted past briefly and some of the more talkative characters (those bloody elves) mostly ignored.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Second update of the day. Don't expect this to be a regular two-a-day LP but might as well get on a roll early.

trotupdate2_1.jpg

Oh. Well, good to hear my companions handled the remaining pirates after I was cutscened unconscious, and were good enough to take me to Nadoret.

trotupdate2_2.jpg

Waking up, woozy, dazed...on a pier?

cano.jpg
Whoever survives a blow like this must rank high in Phex's favor.

Phex, bah! Phex is the God of thieves and travelers. Or, rather, a disciple of the one God Rastullah (obviously) in charge of thieves and travelers.

forgrimm.jpg
Maybe someone like that is just a tough nut to crack ... You with your Phex all the time, bah!

Bah!

trotupdate2_3.jpg

You two at loggerheads, translator. At least, I think he means to say they're quarrelsome, not that they're dumbasses. But who knows?

cano.jpg
Oh yeah? And how about that time, when you and Forgrimm ...

cano.jpg
... oh... seems like someone is coming around.

Thanks for finally noticing me, dunderheads.

ardo.jpg
Good to see you alive and in one piece. It seems you are really tough. These two quarrelsome fellows are Cano and Forgrimm.

forgrimm.jpg
Baroshem.

cano.jpg
It is an honor.

Cano is significantly nicer to the PC if it's a female. Also, behind him is a fismonger, who sells, well, fish, that can be used as low-grade weapons. She also carries one of the more powerful early magical items, which I'll be sure to get off her as soon as opportunity permits.

ardo.jpg
And I am... uhhh... oh, well just call me Ardo.

sayyid.jpg
[Intelligence] I think there's more to him than just plain Ardo.

sayyid.jpg
My name is Sayyid ibn Nasreddin. Forgive me, but ... I'm a bit confused. Where are we? What happened to our ship? Where are the guys who attacked us?!

ardo.jpg
I see, yes. You were... emm... unconscious. Just take your time to ask any questions and you'll get an answer.

At least he's well mannered. For a heathen and all. Also he saved my life, I guess.

sayyid.jpg
Where am I? And why was I lying here on the pier?

[Perception] indeed

ardo.jpg
You are in Nadoret. Captain Albass was in a hurry to set sail. He told us that you also wanted to go to Nadoret. So we said we would care for you until you recovered.

cano.jpg
Of course, we would have put you up at an inn. But you beat us to the punch and here you are, on the pier and conscious. You recovered very quickly indeed.

Tough nut, that's me (Constitution: 11!)

sayyid.jpg
That explains everything. I really am feeling somewhat better now. Thank you!

sayyid.jpg
Why were you so stand-offish at the field camp earlier?

ardo.jpg
Oh, don't take that so seriously. We just didn't want to be disturbed. And we didn't know who was skulking around our camp. Pardon our... gruff manner...

sayyid.jpg
Ach, let's forget the whole thing. After all, you did save my life.

sayyid.jpg
What happened after I was injured?

forgrimm.jpg
It was like this: when I saw what the gutless thugs had done to you, I jumped in the middle of a bunch of the cowards - I must have given about a dozen of them a good whupping ...

sayyid.jpg
A whole dozen? I really am deeply indebted to you, Forgrimm. It's only thanks to you that I'm still alive.

I think the concussion is getting to Sayyid. What's with the whole naive act?

forgrimm.jpg
Well, it's not even worth mentioning. I ...

cano.jpg
That's the truth... Forgrimm forgot to mention that his dozen opponents were so demoralized by my fencing skills that they just gave up fighting - at least those who hadn't been already knocked out by the reek of alcohol on his breath.

forgrimm.jpg
Bah! 'Fencing skills' - don't make me laugh! They couldn't stop laughing when they saw you waving that thing in the air like an idiot - and you can't fight when you're laughing! If I were you, I'd...

ardo.jpg
That's enough, you two! If you had been able to forget your vanity for a while, these cowards would never have got away from us... and now we're back where we started!

sayyid.jpg
Excuse me, but what do you mean by 'back where we started'? Did you want to be attacked?

cano.jpg
Ha ha ha, did you hear that? Who likes to be attacked, eh? No, no... it's the merchandise that we lost when we were attacked. Without it, we're back to where we started!

sayyid.jpg
Whatever. At any rate I'm grateful to you for rescuing me. To all of you.

Whatever? Also I never really noticed that "merchandise lost" line. Is Cano just pulling the wool before our eyes or what, because I don't think that ever comes back in the story.

ardo.jpg
Fine. If you want to know anything else, just ask.

sayyid.jpg
Now that I come to think about it, I have no time to be standing around chatting. See you soon.

ardo.jpg
You are right. Enough talking. It's good to see you on your feet again - we too have to move on.

sayyid.jpg
Wait! Is there anything I can do for you during my apprenticeship here? After all, I owe you my life.

ardo.jpg
Hmm ... I believe you could. Keep your eyes and your ears open. Perhaps you'll hear a snippet or two of information about the river pirates. Come tell me in the 'Leaping Stag' if you hear anything.

ardo.jpg
Before I forget: Forgrimm, Cano, you both already know what to do. Let's go, we have no time to lose!

And thus begins our first side-quest: Gather Information on the Pirates. The remark "during my apprenticeship" might be a bit of a hint, because this quest closes soon after, so it's best to tackle it before you do much else.

Anyway, Nadoret:

trotupdate2_4.jpg

Pretty as a high-class houri. It's a small but affluent harbor town, close to Ferdok (the main town of the Dark Eye). It was constructed over a channel, which left it with a large-ish undercroft that we'll explore later on (no, it's not a dungeon crawl).

trotupdate2_5.jpg

The harbormaster appears displeased with that odd-looking dwarf. As soon as I approach, the dwarf speaks to me.

trotupdate2_6.jpg

sayyid.jpg
Stop in the name of your heathen idols, is it? Very well, speak your piece.

sayyid.jpg
If you so wish. May I ask what you want?

emmeran.jpg
The Riverfather and his Voice observe all things that take place on the river. Use caution in your deeds and plans! We will be observing you!

sayyid.jpg
Guess he's some kind of pagan prophet of this River Father, and that he's speaking of my little "sacriledge" earlier. Hah! If a troll toad and a crazy dwarf is the furthest the Riverfather's reach goes, he is not even worthy to gaze upon the soles of Rastullah's feet as the mighty one crushes him! Praise be to Rastullah! Still, time to apply some of what the heatens call "diplomacy", even if I can not finish this adventure without any combat.

sayyid.jpg
I, er ... am not quite sure what you're trying to tell me, but thank you for your advice anyway.

orbert.jpg
By the thunderboxes! Emmeran! Stop pestering travelers with your blathering!

It is fairly impossible not to immediately despise Harbortmaster Orbert, not just because he bullies this distinguished old dwarf, but also because he talks in a snivelling, whiny voice. Good casting.

emmeran.jpg
Day in and day out, you let your burdens be carried on his back! Therefore you should pay homage to him and honor him. His...

orbert.jpg
I've had enough of you! Get out of here now and leave the people in peace!

sayyid.jpg
Begging your pardon, but your nagging doesn't exactly make his babbling any more bearable.

Two insults for the price of one.

orbert.jpg
And you! Keep your nose out of my business, if you please! That fellow isn't welcome here! He ...

emmeran.jpg
There is more to lose here than mortals could ever know. So beware of the dark tentacles! Otherwise death and destruction will befall you!

Dark tentacles? Am I glad I didn't pick a female PC.

trotupdate2_7.jpg

I'm the chosen one? Anyway, he unlocks a location on my map and insists I visit him there.

orbert.jpg
Enough, you stinking piece of flotsam! Leave this place right now - and take your raft with you! You have blocked my jetty long enough today!

emmeran.jpg
You may be the master of the harbor here - but you aren't Lord of the River. Nevertheless, I'll do what you ask. However... only until the next time, Farewell... Orbert.

With that out of the way, let's remind ourselves why we came here to begin with. Here's the letter of recommendation:

trotupdate2_8.jpg

Harbormaster Orbert can probably help me find this mage who is not mentioned by name in this letter.

trotupdate2_9.jpg

Beilunk riders are one of the biggest courier companies. This one is really only there to provide you with items you got by preordering the game. I do have said codes from the game's files but obviously won't be using them. Notice the inconscpicuous man talking to him.

Anyway. Orbert!

orbert.jpg
Where are you headed for, if I may ask?

sayyid.jpg
I'm in Nadoret to complete my training. My name is Sayyid ibn Nasreddin.

orbert.jpg
How nice for you. Then you can disappear from my harbor - now.

sayyid.jpg
One of these days I might learn how to disappear before your eyes. But until then, perhaps you can tell me where I can find Master Brookbeard.

Good comeback.

orbert.jpg
Strong words from someone so far away from their homeland, Novadi. However, you are in luck - I know your Master.

The game doesn't skimp on people reacting to and mentioning your culture and class, which is unusual in a fully voiced game.

sayyid.jpg
My homeland is wherever I can learn. Tell me where I can find my master.

orbert.jpg
Yes... alright. Ask the guard at the town's North Gate. He's not only horribly happy by nature - he can also tell you exactly how you can get to the old tower.

orbert.jpg
And give Master Magician a message from me: if any more people here complain about his bizarre hocus pocus, I'll send a couple of bailiffs over to attend to him.

sayyid.jpg
Of course. I'll let him know.

sayyid.jpg
I'll let him know about a snivelling little coward who roams around the docks and is to be taught a lesson in respect towards practicioners of magic.

orbert.jpg
Was that it then? I have more important things to do.

sayyid.jpg
Who was that peculiar dwarf?

orbert.jpg
Him? That was old Emmeran! He's a crank who believes that the Riverfather sent him to us personally. Just ignore him.

Hmmm ... I can agree with that.

sayyid.jpg
Could you tell me anything about the recent pirate attacks, or do you know anyone who could give me a report on them?

orbert.jpg
Pirates, bah! The whispering about those horror stories is starting to wear on my nerves. Only ignorant peasants believe nonsense like that.

orbert.jpg
Of course there are pirates, there have always been pirates. The minute more than one boat is attacked, you hear that pirates are in control of the entire Great River.

sayyid.jpg
Begging your pardon, but I was attacked by pirates myself on the way here. We anchored several miles before Nadoret and were surprised in the night.

orbert.jpg
That proves nothing! That just means that you didn't select your mooring place very well. Things like that just happen sometimes...

sayyid.jpg
I'm sure Captain Albass was not careless in selecting our mooring place. Anyway, you must know something, whether you believe the stories or not.

orbert.jpg
Enough! I've already wasted too much time with all these fairytales about pirates. Ask the merchants here at the harbor. They're more talkative than a crowd of fishwives! But in the name of the Twelve, leave me in peace!

trotupdate2_10.jpg

The harbor area hosts two fairly worthless stalls, one selling low-grade equipment, the older low-grade healing items. Still, it's worthwhile to talk to Huckster Olbin.

trotupdate2_11.jpg

Maybe it's just me but he seems modelled to be a stereotypical Jew merchant. Not what you'd expect in a German game.

sayyid.jpg
I'd like to know more about the pirates who've been making the Great River unsafe recently.

olbin.jpg
Oho, that really is something, isn't it? Everyone's talking about these pirate robberies. And some of the stories going around are really fantastical, I tell you...

olbin.jpg
Just by chance, I overheard two of the river folk saying that the attacks were going on because the pirates had a competition going. They're all looking for a treasure trove that's supposed to have been lost in the river.

What nonsense is this?

sayyid.jpg
That really does sound exciting. Perhaps you know someone else who might know something about them?

Perhaps someone who knows something that isn't obviously nonsense?

olbin.jpg
About the pirates? You could ask old Greyhair. That crafty old fox has ears everywhere. You'll probably find him near the market, trying to beg, steal or borrow a farthing or two.

olbin.jpg
Oh! I almost forgot about Bailiff Rabig. If anyone knows about that he does. During the day you'll find him at the town's South Gate. Perhaps he can help you.

sayyid.jpg
Updated my journal.

sayyid.jpg
Well, I'm new in town. Perhaps you could tell me something about Nadoret.

olbin.jpg
Of course! What do you want to know?

sayyid.jpg
What's interesting here in town? Where can you experience something exciting?

olbin.jpg
Try the undercroft ... I've heard that there are lots of Phexian delights there.

sayyid.jpg
I saw this statue at the harbor... Does the Baron live here in the town too?

olbin.jpg
Here in town? No. His castle is outside of town, on the other side of the forest. They say that the walls are made of pure gold! And that the finest Bosparanian wine flows in the fountains...

Uhm...

sayyid.jpg
What's the word on the street?

Man, unspecific questions much?

olbin.jpg
There is supposed to be a Thieves' Guild here. That's right. The leader is supposed to be a young woman, but she's not from this region. She's a powerful spellcaster, they say. Who knows, maybe it's even Nahema in person?

I think he's referring to Nahema ai Tamerlein, an eternally young witch/sorceress and one of Aventuria's more powerful spellcasters. Don't think she'd stick around a dump like this to run a Thieves' Guild though. Nahema was kind of infamous in our circles for popping up as a deus ex machine when a lazy GM got his back to the wall. Not a highly thought of character, by most.

Back on track.

sayyid.jpg
Do you perhaps have a small task for me?

It's an RPG, I can instinctively sense when people have tasks for me.

olbin.jpg
Oh yes, I am glad you asked... The innkeeper of the Mellow Ox has ordered some merchandise. Please take it to him in the tavern. He will surely reward you for doing this. You will find the tavern to the north of Nadoret.

trotupdate2_12.jpg

Look who we run into next, prancing about town, the very self same Baron Dajin of Nadoret. He basically does a little tour where he brags and scoffs at things throughout town, though I'm not sure who he is actually talking to. Let's try and speak to him.

baronsservant.jpg
Hey, you, take a hike! Baron Dajin doesn?t want to be pestered by riffraff during his visit to the town!

sayyid.jpg
Uncouth cur! Your blood will boil under a thousand suns!

trotupdate2_13.jpg

Oh, good.

sayyid.jpg
Do you know that pirates are marauding the lands hereabouts? My ship was attacked!

dajin.jpg
Pirates? Around here? How dreadful! You know, you should really hand in a petition to my servants in the castle, then I'll deal with it right away.

dajin.jpg
After the preparations for my next party are complete, of course! Now then, away with you, we would like to continue our stroll.

There is obviously no point in talking to this man.

trotupdate2_14.jpg

Heading north, we bump into this panicked man running away from his enraged wife.

sayyid.jpg
Shameful behavior. Do these barbarians have no idea how a society should be properly ordered?

trotupdate2_15.jpg

The small market houses a two merchants, specialized in high-quality and expensive armor and weapons. Like many merchants in Nadoret, their stock improves as you advance the plot. They're of no use to us right now.

trotupdate2_16.jpg

Barracks. If you're a warrior class your training begins here. Still worthwhile to talk to some NPCs, like the captain of the guard.

sayyid.jpg
What can you tell me about the harbormaster?

nimralph.jpg
Oh, the harbormaster. I hope the gods...grrr... That man is corrupt and a real... But I shouldn't get so upset about it.

sayyid.jpg
Let it all out, Nimralph.

nimralph.jpg
'Old Orbert', they call him. There's no villainy over the last few years that the walls of his quays haven?t borne witness to ... but he has a special relationship with Baron Dajin. For whatever reason...

nimralph.jpg
... Corruption and protection! These are the evils by which a town can perish! And Orbert stands for both. Forgive me... I just can't stay calm when I think of that thug!

Interesting stuff. Nimralph is good people. Make note not to trust Orbert, in case anyone was planning to. (You discover quite a bit more on Orbert in the thief/rogue or warrior class opening missions, I don't think mages learn much about him)

Moving on, quartermaster Bornhelm is also worth a chat.

bornhelm.jpg
Can I help you? I am Quartermaster Bornhelm.

sayyid.jpg
Is there anything for me to do?

bornhelm.jpg
We have some wanted posters for a gang made up of the worst Kosh criminals... and they're supposed to be roaming around in this area. The infamous Bickerbold gang... three slippery brothers and their mother.

bornhelm.jpg
Watch yourself with that riffraff... they're all the worst kind of thieves, cutthroats and murderers. Take a good look at these wanted posters. You'll find all the details there.

bornhelm.jpg
Here is the wanted poster for the youngest brother, Odo Bickerbold - a loathsome fellow. Bring me proof that you've caught him and the allotted reward money is yours!

Money, eh? I'll do it! This is one of the game's handful of unmarked quests. They get you less experience than quests that go into your questlog, but are generally still worthwhile. Most marked quests (though not all) use quest markers. A few let you just figure it out yourself, and unmarked quests always do. In this case, you're supposed to follow the lead given by the reward poster. We'll get to this in the next update, first more tourism.

Checking in with the north gate guardsman that Orbert sent me to.

townguardsman.jpg
Long live the Baron! What do you wish?

sayyid.jpg
Harbormaster Orbert sends me. He said that you could tell me the way to the old watchtower.

townguardsman.jpg
Sure, but ... what do you want there?! Don't you know that the tower is inhabited by an eccentric magician?

What are you, blind?

sayyid.jpg
I am aware of that. I am being sent there to complete my training.

townguardsman.jpg
I might have guessed that, actually. The way you?re clothed. Very well, I?ll tell you how to get there.

No shit, Sherlock. Guess they don't hire guardsmen for their brains.

townguardsman.jpg
From here you follow the path going east, until you've passed Boron's Field. From there you follow the curved path going north, up the hill and past Boron's shrine.

trotupdate2_17.jpg

Got all that? Well, it doesn't matter, there's a quest marker.

sayyid.jpg
Then I shall be on my way. Thank you for your help.

townguardsman.jpg
My pleasure. And good luck with your apprenticeship with that odd fellow. You'll need it.

No rush. We head to the market.

trotupdate2_18.jpg

Three stalls in the market, housing a tailor, a jeweler and an alchemist. There's also a black market salesman tucked behind the church, and a healer and bowyer nearby. The church is a Temple of Praios, the heathen god.

trotupdate2_19.jpg

It's bigger on the inside!

Hopefully we can share with the Praios Deont (priest) how we feel about his little heathen cult.

irian.jpg
How can a servant of Praios help you?

trotupdate2_20.jpg

Hmmpfh.

irian.jpg
Praios the Sovereign God, Ruler over the Gods. His all-seeing eye is the sun that moves over the firmament, burning the evil-doers, for truth and order are his highest goods.

sayyid.jpg
Sovereign God? Ruler?! I should cut out your tongue and feed it to the dogs for this heresy!!

Of course, I can not. Let's talk to his pupil, perhaps we can convert him at his young age to the true faith.

alric.jpg
Y..yes? Can I do anything for you?

sayyid.jpg
Who are you?

alric.jpg
I am Alric of the Source... a novice in the Order of our Lord Praios!

sayyid.jpg
Do you perhaps have a small task for me to do?

alric.jpg
Well, now that you mention it, I left my prayer book somewhere in the temple. Could you find it for me?

Ugh. Well I did ask for it.

sayyid.jpg
I'll see what I can find...

trotupdate2_21.jpg

Oh for...it's all of 10 yards removed from him.

alric.jpg
Y..yes? Can I do anything for you?

sayyid.jpg
I've found your prayer book!

alric.jpg
I thank you! Now I can prepare my sermon. May Praios reward you.

sayyid.jpg
Yegh. My skin crawls to stay in this den of iniquity. I must away!

trotupdate2_22.jpg

Oh, it's our old, unassuming friend talking to the beggar. He politely but firmly declines any attempt to talk with him. As suspicious as I am of him, we have to let him be for now. Let's talk to the beggar instead, one of our leads to discover more on the pirates.

trotupdate2_23.jpg

sayyid.jpg
Burn it with holy fire! Uh, I mean...

sayyid.jpg
Perhaps. Do you know anything about the pirates that have been preying on the shipping on the Great River?

greyhair.jpg
Heh heh, very well. There's already some talk going around about why no one has managed to get these fellows. People are saying that the pirates can make their ships invisible by magic!

Just more gobbledegook.

sayyid.jpg
Hm, an interesting story. That would explain how they manage to escape so quickly!

greyhair.jpg
Please, will you give me some alms? One hand washes the other.

sayyid.jpg
I'm not washing you for all the gold in Hasrabal ben Yakuban's palace.

sayyid.jpg
Oh, forgive me. I don't have any money on me unfortunately.

One of the stalls belongs the alchemist Auralia. She is one of your possible followers in Drakensang: The Dark Eye, but quite a bit younger here.

trotupdate2_24.jpg

She's a merchant, but also one of this game's trainers. With enough leveling points and money one can learn any skill, barring race or class restrictions (for spells specifically).

She also has a little sidequest for us.

auralia.jpg
Do you see those scandalmongers over there by the temple? They've been getting on my nerves for days now. Could you please bring them this 'special beer?, to teach them a lesson?

Should be amusing.

brin.jpg
Well, what do you want?

sayyid.jpg
I wanted to invite you to enjoy a tankard of beer with me ...

brin.jpg
I can't say no to that.

cordo.jpg
Hey, give me some, too!

sayyid.jpg
Of course! There's enough for both of you! Here, be my guest.

trotupdate2_25.jpg

trotupdate2_26.jpg

trotupdate2_27.jpg

Hah! Wonderful.

sayyid.jpg
I gave those scandalmongers some of your beer!

trotupdate2_28.jpg

trotupdate2_29.jpg

There's some high levels items being sold around town right from the get-go. Items aren't locked off by level (though some items have stat requirements), but there's no way you can gather the money to purchase these kind of items. I have all of two ducats to rub together and this robe costs 500D. It's one of the most expensive items in the game, casting a permanent Fandango of Fireflies on you. For magicians (and possibly rogues) that regularly go into close combat, it's well worth the price.

There's two Corbett children, one selling newspapers and the other one standing near a well.

gorwin.jpg
Step right up, Sir, and fulfill a wish for only one farthing!

sayyid.jpg
One wish for a farthing?

Ten farthings make up one thaler, ten thalers make up a ducat. A farthing will buy you a stale loaf of bread, that's about how valuable it is.

gorwin.jpg
Yes, just throw a farthing in the well and make a wish. Your wish will be granted!

sayyid.jpg
What a superstitious lot these people are. Might as well play along for now.

sayyid.jpg
[Throw farthing in the well] Make a wish for a farthing ... well it's worth trying!

gorwin.jpg
Your wish will soon come true, I'm sure of it! Good day to you!

I wished for 73 almondeyed houris, but none are forthcoming.

trotupdate2_30.jpg

The smith works near the south gate, but he is of no interest to us. However, Huckster Olbin did tell us of a a guardsman here who might tell us more of the pirates. The guardsman is stationed at the gate. Notice how there's no quest marker, as this is one of those non-guided quests.

rabig.jpg
Greetings! Can I help you?

sayyid.jpg
Perhaps. As a member of the Town Guard I'm sure you are aware of what has been going on around here. Have you heard anything about the recent pirate raids?

rabig.jpg
Yes, as a bailiff I hear quite a lot about what's going on. However, I don't have much to say about the pirate attacks. It's rumored that their ringleader has lizard blood in his veins.

sayyid.jpg
Incredible the superstitions these people sink to. I should cleanse their stupidity from Ethra.

sayyid.jpg
Hhm, interesting. Thank you for your help.

rabig.jpg
You don't really want to pick a fight with them, do you? If there are really any lizard monsters behind it, I would be very cautious if I were you.

I'd scoff some more, but perhaps, like so many wild rumors, there's a grain of truth in here somewhere?

sayyid.jpg
I'll be careful. Thank you again.

That exhausts the leads I got for the pirates for now. Let's head back to meet Ardo in the Leaping Stag.

trotupdate2_31.jpg

Typical den of sin, really.

Wandering around, I stumble into the kitchen.

linnert.jpg
Hey, what are you doing just walking into my kitchen like that?

linnert.jpg
I hope that it's something important!

sayyid.jpg
Well, I guess it's not that important. I had better go.

linnert.jpg
Wait, wait! Not so fast. Maybe I was a little snappy. You look as if you get around a lot.

sayyid.jpg
That's true. Why do you ask?

linnert.jpg
Well, I like to try out new ideas for recipes. To do that I look for a wide variety of ingredients that can?t simply be bought from a merchant.

sayyid.jpg
What sort of ingredients?

linnert.jpg
Well, we shouldn't discuss it too loudly. I need rat tails, I've run out of those. And, yes, lice eyes and frog legs are supposed to be delicious.

We are witnessing the birth of Linnert's own fast food chain. Remind me never to eat here.

sayyid.jpg
Er, well, that sounds rather exotic.

Oh man up, you're a Novadi.

linnert.jpg
But it tastes delicious! Believe me, some things taste better than they look!!

sayyid.jpg
That may be. At least I have to respect your daring and experimental approach.

linnert.jpg
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! If you happen to come across rat tails, frog legs or lice eyes during your travels, then bring them to me. I pay well. Oh, by the way, I also accept old rolls.

sayyid.jpg
I'll bear that in mind.

The bartender might be worth quizzing about the pirates.

sayyid.jpg
I'm sure you hear many a rumor. What are people saying about the river pirates?

gorbas.jpg
You know, if I had a piece of gold for every rumor that I hear, I'd be a rich man. I haven't paid attention to rumors around here for a long time - and I'd advise you to do the same.

Hah, I hear that.

sayyid.jpg
Is this the only tavern in the city?

gorbas.jpg
Yes, we are the only tavern inside the town walls... but if you follow the towpath northwards, you'll soon reach the 'Mellow Ox'. It's mostly merchants and travelers who stop off there.

Time to confess to Ardo that all I've discovered is a bunch of codswallop and nonsense.

ardo.jpg
Ah, there you are. Did you find out anything useful?

sayyid.jpg
As a matter of fact I did, and from a huckster. He said he had happened to overhear two of the river folk talking about the pirates.

ardo.jpg
That's not much, but at least something I suppose... what did they say?

sayyid.jpg
Well, that all these attacks were taking place because the pirates had a competition going. Apparently they're all looking for a treasure that's supposed to have been lost in the river. What kind of a treasure it is remains a mystery.

trotupdate2_32.jpg

Seriously? Well, it's your money...

sayyid.jpg
Bailiff Rabig has taken me into his confidence regarding a rumor about the pirate leader.

ardo.jpg
And? Does it have anything to do with the pirate attacks?

sayyid.jpg
Not directly. But he did tell me that people are saying that the pirate leader is of lizard blood.

ardo.jpg
This should help us somewhat. Please take these farthings as a small token of my support. Did you find out anything else?

sayyid.jpg
I was able to find out something about the pirates from a local panhandler, Old Greyhair.

ardo.jpg
Aha! And what did he tell you?

sayyid.jpg
If I've understood him correctly, people are saying that the pirates can use magical means to make their ships invisible. That's why it's so difficult to arrest them.

ardo.jpg
Thank you for asking around. But now you must turn your attentions to successfully concluding your apprenticeship, otherwise I'll feel guilty.

ardo.jpg
Please take this as a small token of my support. I'll pass on the news to Forgrimm and Cano.

Fairly useless information, but hey, a thaler and some AP for each tidbit I gave him. I'll take it.
Next update, we explore the undercroft, hunt some outlaws, and experiment with mind-altering drugs, as we continue to procrastinate before we head to Master Brookbeard.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

trotupdate2_27.jpg

Heh, I remember that. A funny moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom