Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News JADE is Here

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: JADE

<p>Thomas Biskup, of <a href="http://www.adom.de/adom/roguelike.php3" target="_blank">Ancient Domains of Mystery</a> fame &amp; fortune, has released <a href="http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2011/07/announcing-jade-011.html" target="_blank"><strong>JADE 0.1.1</strong></a>, followed within hours by <a href="http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2011/07/jade-012-has-been-released.html" target="_blank"><strong>JADE 0.1.2</strong></a>. Head <a href="http://www.adom.de/jade/downloads/javawebstart/index.php" target="_blank">here</a> to get your roguelike on.<br /><br /><em>Thanks to Palikka &amp; DakaSha</em></p>

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
baronjohn said:
Lol, java. Suck my dick.
Java killed your parents?

I've played it a little bit and it feels empty and boring.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
And here I was thinking this JADE thing would never see the light of the day in any form whatsoever... gives hope for other vaporwareish projects!

DakaSha

Arcane
I'm not going to spew fanboy retardation here and there is no way to know whether this will actually be good but complaining/criticizing (not that a lot here are) an extremely early alpha (by an already accomplished dev) makes you look like you are trying to hard.

that said there isnt really much reason to play at this point beyond 'testing'. Lets hope it turns out to be as great as ADoM

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Zed said:
I've played it a little bit and it feels empty and boring.
Clockwork Knight said:
Sure is barebones around here. Seems to be workjing nicely, though.

http://www.adom.de/blog/2011/06/11/jade-start-tiny-instead-of-small/
Thomas Biskup said:
So I decided to reduce complexity even more to get ahead…Basically this means that I will try to get JADE out sooner by removing even more potential content. The first release of JADE will be JADE 0.1.0 (hopefully in the not too distant future). And the version number will have to be taken very seriously. JADE 0.1.0 by no definition of the word will be a complete game but rather a technology study - as I mentioned a couple of times in other places. Now it is going to be even more of a study in order to be able to release it sooner.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I can see from the version number it's an early release. No need to point it out. I said it's empty just because it's the only real complaint to give at this stage.

Lightknight

Liturgist
baronjohn said:
Lol, java. Suck my dick.
I'd rather play games in Java than the putrid shit people do with .NET, like Caves of Qud, which fuckin REQUIRES a gig of memory just because.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Davaris said:
So its the same game, but in Java?
yes and no, it should be a better game as he has the ADOM experience, but it should be a better/different game since he started from scratch... but we need to come back here in july 2014when playable version 0.9.4 is released ( that's the version that I started to play ADOM back in 1998 or something and it was pretty complete and stable ) to see if that happened

Dangersaurus

Novice
Big map, larger starting city. None of the peasants has anything to say. No swim code yet, so you can travel anywhere but high mountains to get a feel for the whole map. Swam ac ross the sea and found a dungeon, although I think I may have wrapped around the world and come back to the same continent.

Fighting works at a very basic level, but seems easy. Orcs. Goblins. Rats. Good thing he got the most important critters in first. Thank god no cats. Yet.

Looks good so far, but I think I'll wait until there's more to it. I'm looking forward to when/if this gets up to the level ADOM is at. It will be nice playing without knowing all the spoilers again!

Black_Willow

Arcane
Dangersaurus said:
Fighting works at a very basic level, but seems easy. Orcs. Goblins. Rats. Good thing he got the most important critters in first. Thank god no cats. Yet.
Wait until you meet king of rats.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
Hell yeah, Biskup is back!

Give it ten more years and it'll probably be almost as good as ADOM but much less relevant!

Also, we could run a retardo snail race sweepstake thing on which game gets released first - JADE or AoD :bounce:

spectre

Arcane
So what has he been doing with this for ten years exactly
From what he wrote, he spent the last couple of years years getting married, moving to a new house, getting a PhD. So, in a nutshell, he's just began working on it for reals.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there anything special about this roguelike?

Because, just by taking a quick look at it, the only difference I see to the other ~2.000 roguelikes out there is that it only offers 3 races (yeah, 0.12, I know).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom