Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite Kickstart Turn-based Oldschool CRPG

catfood

AGAIN
I wish they had more information prepared. They just say "It's an rpg! it will have rpg stuff in it!"

I might give money if I knew what I was giving it to
It's an oldschool RPG, what else do you need to know? Don't you like oldschool RPGs? Everyone likes old school RPGs! Why don't you like old school RPGs? Buy one get one free!OLD SCHOOL RPGS FOR EVERYONE!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'm with the sceptics. No work to show, no real information, not even a title. Just "give us 1.000.000$ and we will start thinking about making a game for you. It's gonna be awesum!"

Also, what's this shit about making two games? That's one of the dumbest ideas in a long time. It's like applying for a job and saying if the payment is good, you're even gonna do two :lol:

Another thing I noticed is that in the end these kickstarters will succeed anyway which happen to have the famouse developur. So I can stay on the sidelines peacefully and give my money to smaller projects.

bhlaab

Erudite
I'm with the sceptics. No work to show, no real information, not even a title. Just "give us 1.000.000$ and we will start thinking about making a game for you. It's gonna be awesum!"

Also, what's this shit about making two games? That's one of the dumbest ideas in a long time. It's like applying for a job and saying if the payment is good, you're even gonna do two :lol:

Another thing I noticed is that in the end these kickstarters will succeed anyway which happen to have the famouse developur. So I can stay on the sidelines peacefully and give my money to smaller projects.

I don't think they're trying to fuck anyone. I mean in what way would Tom Hall and Brenda Bradthwiat benefit from shattering the reputations they've been cultivating for the past handful of decades for one fast million?

But I also don't want to buy in because I don't know if it's something I actually want to play! I like some sorts of old school RPGs, I don't like other sorts. What kind of old school rpg is it? Is there a general idea behind it that makes it stand out? Are they going to make an off-brand Wizardry and that's it?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah, the codex isn't old-skool enough to appreciate the old-skoolery Tom and Brenda are bringing back into the genre. You have to wake up in the morning, say your old-skool prayer, eat your old-skool serials and go to your old-skool school to fully understand how old-skoolian this project is.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bah, the codex isn't old-skool enough to appreciate the old-skoolery Tom and Brenda are bringing back into the genre. You have to wake up in the morning, say your old-skool prayer, eat your old-skool serials and go to your old-skool school to fully understand how old-skoolian this project is.

"So, what type of game will this be, you ask? Well, it's too early for all the details. Will there be a party? Will there be combat? Will it be a text-based shooter? WHO KNOWS! What we do know is that it will be oldschool as a motherfucker! You see those other Kickstarter projects? The ones with some kind of idea of what they want to make? Yeah, well, we're old-schooler!"

kaizoku

Arcane
FIRST INGAME SCREENSHOT!!!!1111

shit is so old school

118124215260.png

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
shes a liar you can tell by her body language, check out the 2:00 mark when she starts talking about the games shes worked on, shes looking every which way left and right, classic sign of a liar. she may have technically been a part time employee at the parent company that was affiliated with the development group that made the game but she had nothing to do with it except fix a grammatical error for her boyfriend whose brother worked at the company and wrote a quest because he had a family emergency.

NEANDERTHAL VERSUS COLOSSAL HOMO SAPIENS ARMY (WITH SELF-REFERENTIAL LOGIC, ENDORSEMENTS, NETWORKED SELF-ADMIRATION SOCIETY & TESTIMONIALS) :
NEANDERTHAL WINS EXTREME FATALITY, SAPIENS LOSES
insane_muscles_30.jpg
BROS ALWAYS BET ON NEANDERTHAL FOR THE WIN

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

BROS I AM CLOSER THAN YOU THINK. I HAVE NAILED MORE BUGS IN THE LAST WEEK IN GRIMOIRE THAN PREVIOUS TWO YEARS.
insane_muscles_30.jpg
MELONHEAD DOMINATRIX BRENDA WILL BEND ON BROKEN KNEE WHEN NEANDERTHAL DESTROYS HER ENTIRE BATTALION OF ONE-HIT WONDERS AND POSEURS WITH A SINGLE BLOW CALLED GRIMOIRE. BURY HER BIGHEADED ASS IN SUITABLE MELONHEAD TOMB AND REMEMBER HER LIKE ISIS AS ONE WHO CHALLENGED MIGHTY ENKIDU - AND LOST. BRENDA'S BULL(SH*T) OF HEAVEN COULD NOT STOP THE ULTIMATE RODEO CLOWN FROM HIS FINAL VICTORY.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
If it doesn't work out between John and Brenda, I have found a new mail order bride site in Hungaria for Romero called "Pre-Natal Sex Slaves To Order." You pick them out from their ultrasound scans in vitro and have them delivered live in the U.S. upon receipt of payment.

Anultrasoundscanofafetusat12weeksofpregnancy1-3-5-1-4-3-1-0-0-0-0.jpg

John, these girls are HOT, man!!! bARELY LEGAL!!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If it doesn't work out between John and Brenda, I have found a new mail order bride site in Hungaria for Romero called "Pre-Natal Sex Slaves To Order." You pick them out from their ultrasound scans in vitro and have them delivered live in the U.S. upon receipt of payment.

Anultrasoundscanofafetusat12weeksofpregnancy1-3-5-1-4-3-1-0-0-0-0.jpg

John, these girls are HOT, man!!! bARELY LEGAL!!
It's Hungary, and not Hungaria. And leave us out from your dirty schemes. : x

J1M

Arcane
Video games are business. Therefore bank loans and mortgage backed loans do exists. Why can other business people lose everything, but game developers are exempt of it. 200 K from kickstarter and the rest from the bank loan. If your project is worthy it should be a viable alternative.

It is my understanding that the return on Video Games is much to unpredictable. You can have a great business plan, lots of experience, and a great team and your game still has a decent chance of not selling enough to make any money. A lot like movies. So as a result it is almost impossible to get a large loan from a bank for the purpose of making one.
That's why he suggested it be backed up with a home, in the form of a mortgage.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Brenda: "What it is like to launch a kickstarter: I say I am going to bed, then follow KS and twitter from bed."

mr-burns.gif

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Video games are business. Therefore bank loans and mortgage backed loans do exists. Why can other business people lose everything, but game developers are exempt of it. 200 K from kickstarter and the rest from the bank loan. If your project is worthy it should be a viable alternative.

It is my understanding that the return on Video Games is much to unpredictable. You can have a great business plan, lots of experience, and a great team and your game still has a decent chance of not selling enough to make any money. A lot like movies. So as a result it is almost impossible to get a large loan from a bank for the purpose of making one.

There are few developers who are in this just to make games, rather than make money while making games. Now banks would work as a buffer for all the shit. You are talking about a business plan in KS?

Pwetty Pweaze give uz jur muney while we iz figuring out what we do whili it making Old skole? AK?

Something like this would never go through a bank for a good reason. We can only have so many kickstarters like these with nothing a slightest idea what they are about.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I wish DW Bradley would finally forget that Dung Lords abomination and kickstart Wizards & Warriors 2.

Oh I second that so much. Who cares for Dungeon Lords... He should better make a W&W2. I found combat way faster in Wizards & Warriors. Unfortunately the overall quality was minor than Wizardry 8, so I never finished Wizards & Warriors. Watched a whole Let's Play in youtube instead. I would support a Bradley kickstarter anytime. Besides I am stills skeptic about the Unity game engine... I know the engine myself and it has some limitations which can make the graphical execution of a game suck (e.g. non existing terrain shaders makes environments look like Morrowind graphics at best). I really do wonder what we can expect. And then the fact, that terrain does not even exist for mobile devices in the Unity engine...

Obviously Brenda, Tom, Romero haven't researched correctly... they should just shut up their ignorance and remove all their stupidity from the kickstarter, which is
1) removing mobile support
2) remove the statement to create 2 games instead of one

This stupidity makes me crazy!:mad:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Banks are usually only willing to give loans when they have a really good chance of returning the investment. Games just don't fall into that category. That's why specialized financing sector's exist for them. Publishers.

Yes, that's why we have mortgage backed securities, credit default swaps and etc. Banks usually don't give a shit. They give out a loan and then they add it to the profit line as if you have already paid it out, it only goes into loses after the company goes bankrupt. The only problem with possible loan is that game companies own nothing but IP while banks feel safer if there are assets to sell after.

Where I live banks give gladly almost any amount if you secure it with your personal wealth. Why? Because if you believe in it so much to put your house on line it will most likely succeed.

Publishers are worse than loan sharks. They finance the game, but then they own the franchise and your ass. Banks would be a better alternative as they only own your ass until you have paid the loaned amount, but I have never heard about anyone dealing with the banks and judging by kickstarter I can see why. If you can't put your shit together nobody is going to even listen to you...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't even know who this Brenda is; nor did I ever like Id software. All these real or unreal - but always self promoting - legends are starting to get annoying. These days everyone and their mother claims to have created Baldurs Gate etc, this is getting ridiculous.

The problem is if people give you a lot of money for a video and a little bit of text you will get lazy. Why should you work harder and prepare design documents, a working prototype or a business plan? In some cases this may still work out because the enthusiasm is there, but I doubt it will end well for most kickstarters of this type. In 2-3 years it will be a fact and people will read these threads again, wondering how anyone could be so gullible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom