Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore New Screenshots and Feature List

:Flash:

Arcane
I am just wondering what is the difference in going FPP (even full blobber) to fixed-perspective-iso-view TB?
I think this does not have much influence on cost. That seems to be a decision that was made for other reasons.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Wow, so this looks like it won't suck. Kind of feel bad that I didn't trust him enough to back Thorvalla.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wow, so this looks like it won't suck. Kind of feel bad that I didn't trust him enough to back Thorvalla.
His Thorvalla pitch wasn't great, but also showed that we (as in not only the Codex) no longer trust developers when they say "We have this great idea. Trust Us!", we need them to show something, and by the time Guido showed something in the Thorvalla Kickstarter, it was already doomed. That's why I think his current approach is better. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kickstarter for Deathfire soon.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I would have appreciated some remarks regarding the clash between the settings' graphics level and the avatar portraits graphic level. Or type if you will.

Looks to me like somebody decided to appeal to the broader masses, but fearing the holy wrath of the Codexian-minded, patched in some retro-looking portrait holders. In a way that is sadly quite evident, let alone rather, illuminating? Of a lack of imagination. A worrying trait for a game designer..

"THAT will convince them. I'm on their side"

That aside, he does seem to have made some progress, was expecting worse, or less per "update" as time went by. Maybe we misunderestimated.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
touche reply Infi :)

Pour moi, i give it a notch or two up merely for --finally-- connecting that horrid title to something i could, could, possibly relate to..

that was well done i think..seriously, you try making such a horrid name stick, lol, see how far you get ^^

Kz3r0

Arcane
We want to believe.
I am still skeptical tho, hopefully Guido will manage to earn my trust with the next updates.

A user named cat

Grimoire'd

Wx9h9NP.jpg

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Not bad, I am positively surprised, after that weird ks of his failed.

The skills remind of roa much, especially the negative ones, always wondered why no other game used something like that - was fun when my greedy dwarf got himself in trouble trying to grab every shiny thing, or the wizard panicking during bettles with undead.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man. The Thorvalla KS was really sketchy, and Henkel himself does not inspire trust in me, like at all. He comes across to me as spending way too much time up his own ass. And good god, the schlock factor of Deathfire is already through the roof. Just skimming the web page is like checking out the drawings in a 4th grader's notebook. Look at our first monster! It's a mean dinosaur with spikes for hands!! And some devil horns. Wait, here's a diary entry from the great elven wizard Tessellar! It has a picture of a giant rat with a big spike on its head. I mean, jesus christ. And you know there's no irony behind any of this.

That said, I hope that Deathfire actually gets made. Even ridiculous schlock can be fun to play with a good system, and he has some strong opinions about making gameplay fun and character building interesting. And despite the boilerplate fantasy dungeon look of the screenshots, I don't know, they look good. I could see myself enjoying a game that looked like that. I'm willing to wait and see if he comes through. I'd probably even back a new KS ... as long as he takes a little more care not to present himself as an arrogant dorkweed.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
fuckin' elfs and their bows...
If I ever see an elf holding an arrow to his face I will have a seizure

Gord

Arcane
fuckin' elfs and their bows...
it's elves not elfs, you philistine.
And you know there's no irony behind any of this.
don't know about you, but the title looks pretty ironical to me. not quite as much as "deathfyre" would, but then again that would lack any subtlety whatsoever.

Having read some of his Jason Dark: Ghost Hunter novels (they came as a reward for the Deathfire survey he conducted a while back), I'd say we can certainly expect a pulp-literature-like story, if he is writing it himself.
Not that it is necessarily a bad thing - I can enjoy that, too - it's just what I expect.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Guido Henkel said:
Hahaha, who the heck is "Vlambeer?" Never heard of the company and they certainly ain't publish my game… LOL Total disinformation out there.

https://twitter.com/GuidoHenkel/status/387231521339637760

:lol: Retweet to RPS!

To go back to that, it looks like mentioning Vlambeer out of the blue wasn't RPS's fault. Guido has just sent out an email (I asked him to add us on his PR list so we now receive the press emails) -- and it turns out Vlambeer was mentioned as publisher in the original press release. Why would that be? Why, because Guido or his employee just copy-pasted the "free press kit" they found on the web (which incidentally turned out to be Vlambeer's) to use as a template for their own press release, and somehow forgot to delete Vlambeer's name from it.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom