Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Aight, glad to read your valuable contribution, and no, not going to argue with you,

Brother None have you guys looked into the 2 action points system of X-Com EU? only part of the combat i didtn ththink it was bad, lacking, or retarded. really makes turns go by smoothly while keeping tactical depth.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Lhynn

Arcane
What? it was serviceable. Only real difference ive found between the current one and the one at xcom is the fact that you always have left-over APs.
But go ahead and elighten me, how is it not good for tactical depth if in every round on wasteland you end up either moving and attacking, moving your full AP (or a bit less), or acting twice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New update is supposed to include the game soundtrack. :thumbsup:

An unmastered preview of the OST that only includes the Arizona tracks.

Yes, well, I say "supposed" because I didn't get it! :rpgcodex: I wonder what that update DID add?

There it is!

IroLZ0tl.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
A more in depth targeting system, with body parts and % chance of crippling effects for each body part, everything from concussions, to blindness to having legs blown off, and a robust attack of opportunity rule set for melee and movement, are essential for any ranged focused turned based combat system. As it stands its too simplistic, so its foreseeable that this is just the basis inxile plans to work on to develop it.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Different people put references in and we just didn't notice it/pay it enough mind when doing passes/playthroughs. It is actually kind of a good thing people kicked up some noise over this because after a quick reassessment we agreed to pull pretty much all modern-day references (not that there were too many in the game, but some) and limit references pretty much to just 80s ones, something I can definitely get behind.

This is truly a broful, broful move. Cheers to you and yours!

And oh yeah...about that first lil' update: Wow!

Lhynn

Arcane
A more in depth targeting system, with body parts and % chance of crippling effects for each body part, everything from concussions, to blindness to having legs blown off, and a robust attack of opportunity rule set for melee and movement, are essential for any ranged focused turned based combat system. As it stands its too simplistic, so its foreseeable that this is just the basis inxile plans to work on to develop it.
Maybe with hp for each part of the body instead of outright injuries like on popamole fallout? Attacks of opportunity are stupid, especially when the abstraction of rounds is of so little time. But playing around with ambush options (like setting what are you trying to do, who you are attempting to shoot in your ambush, how far should your objective be, etc), would be cool.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HEY sea http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/20/wasteland-2-aims-to-blend-fallouts-past-and-present :troll:

Rowan Kaiser said:
Wasteland 2 immediately opens with both: you're asked to put together a party of four characters, but those characters all have the complexity of a Fallout main character. This is, honestly, overwhelming. Fallout or Deus Ex games are manageable because you know that however your one characters specializes, he or she will have options to smooth-talk, shoot, or sneak past obstacles. Games like Dragon Age, built around multiple party members, have supplements to whatever weaknesses—if you don't create a rogue, you can make sure to have Leliana in your party to do whatever rogue things need to be done. Wasteland 2 just puts all of that in front of you at once—by attempting to combine the party creation of old games with the customizations of newer RPGs, it becomes exponentially more complex almost inadvertently.
:popamole:

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So the evil HP restore over time system is out and ultra realistic "hey I feel so much better" 20 HP instant system is all the taster's choice for monocle wearing codex hipsters...
So how about a system where you heal up by caming on the oasis (to give them an actual purpose) where your outdoorsman skill determines how many days you can stay without beign attacked my bandits or whatever a la Darklands? I still think that taking out the regeneration option for everybody since roughy half don't like it is kind of extreme but as some posters have mentioned there must have been balancing considerations for healing without resorting to kit, bandages and bloodpacks no?

hiver

brofist for the firts part of the post but only "well,... lets hope so", for the other.

i wouldnt hold my breath really, but it would be nice to be positively surprised.

IGN: finally, there are all the genre titans since—the Dragon Ages and Skyrims and new Fallouts—that have taken the ideas of their predecessors and made them less awkward to play and more cinematic.
may you all drown in your own excrement!

Wasteland 2 is an attempt to bridge most of the different historical forms of video game RPGs into a single experience,
:what:

IGN: Combat is tactical and fast-paced.
MLMarkland - feel free to relate this insult to the rest of the team.
This is worse then the entire codex managed.

Last edited by a moderator:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Another one:

I would really love to see Outdoorsman overhauled for the world map, specifically in how it handles map encounters.

1) The party's maximum Outdoorsman skill should be checked against the level of the encounter, with a higher Outdoorsman skill relative to the encounter level providing more information (this is basically what's done in Storm of Zehir).

For example, is the encounter hostile or non-hostile? How many characters/enemies are there? What are they (humans/robots/animals/etc.)?

2) Outdoorsman could also allow the player to actually see encounter spots on the world map within a certain range, allowing the player to avoid them by maneuvering around the map (which ties in nicely with water management and radiation).

For the late-game, I think this could really become a very valuable skill, assuming map travel becomes difficult. Trading off water, radiation, and encounters on the world map could be quite interesting if the balance is done right.

This makes Outdoorsman more useful and rewarding because it lets players make more intelligent decisions about what encounters to get in, and thus empowers the player.

So I noticed bleeding wound doesn't seem to take hp out of combat any more, which is okay, I'd prefer it still did but at a larger interval, but then again, I didn't wait around too long. Either way it's an improvement over the abomination that was the instant bleedout from the first build. Another thing about bleeding is that it's info is missing.(At least for me.)

It says: Bleeding wound: Status effect goes here.

Rake

Arcane
Rowan Kaiser said:
But it's also very three-dimensional, and any time an object or character might be hidden behind something, which is most of the time, you need to spin the camera. This turns into an awkward process of spinning the camera at every junction, just to see the next spot to move or search, severely hampering the game's rhythm.
Remind me why rotating camera is in if the Codex don't likes it and drooling IGN retards ALSO don't like it?

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Rowan Kaiser said:
But it's also very three-dimensional, and any time an object or character might be hidden behind something, which is most of the time, you need to spin the camera. This turns into an awkward process of spinning the camera at every junction, just to see the next spot to move or search, severely hampering the game's rhythm.
Remind me why rotating camera is in if the Codex don't likes it and drooling IGN retards ALSO don't like it?
Who says the Codex doesn't like it. There are Codexers that like it, me among them. The way it's implemented now is shit, and I talked about it earlier, but I am all for fully adjustable cameras in principle.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
They just need to fix their shitty fucking camera. Just look at D:OS for inspiration.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I would've thought the budget is almost used up. Will there be real iterations over content at this point? Brother None said so, yes, but budget limitations must arise pretty soon, i assume?

So the areas and quests might be set in stone pretty much. A statement on exactly which point in planed development cycle are we now would be interesting. Beta can mean anything. I could start a beta at the very end and hope for the best, for example.

So how much dev time is there left?
Man, steam jew gold alone can keep them going for awhile.
I would've thought the budget is almost used up. Will there be real iterations over content at this point? Brother None said so, yes, but budget limitations must arise pretty soon, i assume?

So the areas and quests might be set in stone pretty much. A statement on exactly which point in planed development cycle are we now would be interesting. Beta can mean anything. I could start a beta at the very end and hope for the best, for example.

So how much dev time is there left?
You do realize inXile have other sources of revenue right? They aren't exactly Interplay-huge but they do have other successful titles keeping them afloat through their publishing arm (mostly mobile stuff).

You guys do understand what budget is? It is a very important decision to increase it for any professional project. Sure, they got some money - and it is their most important project. But important enough to burn all the profits just to deliver best possible product, instead, say "decent"?

EDIT: also take Torment schedule in account. Hold the team back to super polish Wasteland? Split teams, etc...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom