Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Monocause

Arcane
Wow. I'm enjoying this game that much.

Currently thinking of a reroll now that I have a feel for how the game's systems work. My current party was:

1) A crusader - he hardly sucks, learn to play. Develop sword, heavy armor, shield, put one point in warfare and taunt the shit out of your opponents to soak up the punishment. Starting with life magic helps, and later on you can develop it nicely. My advice is to ignore the crossbow and start with something useful instead, like endurance. Makes for a very competent tank/damage dealer in the beginning and adds some magic skills fairly shortly afterwards.
2) A bladedancer - once i got expert daggers this meant i got four attacks. Developing daggers/dual wield further means even more attacks; definitely more on the squishy side than the crusader but he's got a large health pool meaning he can taunt as well when there's more opponents.
3&4) Dwarven runepriest, human freemage - now this is something i need to reconsider. It seems you can't really focus on more than two spell schools if you want to be efficient; mage classes really need to pump mysticism asap in this game and magical focus as soon as you can. These two along with two spell schools are four skills you want to invest quickly, and not sure if there's room for more.

Some tips for newcomers:

1) As opposed to previous MM games, ranged weapons appear to become useless fairly quickly unless you actually invest in them. Most classes can do other stuff which will be more worth your while instead of shooting the bow. It may be worth it to put a point in ranged weapons just to get the additional equip slot for magical bows but don't expect ranged weapons to be as exploitable as they were in MM6-8 and you should consider picking a different starting skill that might be more useful in the very beginning.
2) In dungeons, if you're playing on warrior, you need to conserve resources. You can rest 6 times, this fully restores your health and mana. Try to conserve potions for boss fights. If you've got someone with earth magic be sure to buy regeneration; it's expensive (30 mana) but it heals your entire party so it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
2a) Gust of wind + entangle is a very useful combo if you want to keep someone at range; both of these spells are fairly cheap and deal some damage as well.
3) For boss fights, you need buff spells. The armor spell light mages start with is very useful. Cloak of shadows (dark magic starter spell) is fairly cheap and helps to increase survivability as well. Don't try to hoard potions, you'll just end up frustrated.

Question to those far ahead in the game: how many skill points can you expect to gather throughout the game? Is there a level cap?

Zeriel

Arcane
There's an achievement to hit level 40, so that's a lot of skillpoints. My blade dancers capped on Daggers (GM level) at level 16, so you can see that you can eventually get most of what you want.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I made the mistake of pumping swords for the Bladedancer, most attacks get blocked and damage is shit. Would switching over to daggers now at level 10 be practical?

Arkeus

Arcane
2) In dungeons, if you're playing on warrior, you need to conserve resources. You can rest 6 times, this fully restores your health and mana. Try to conserve potions for boss fights. If you've got someone with earth magic be sure to buy regeneration; it's expensive (30 mana) but it heals your entire party so it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
Different traders give a different amount of supplies- for example, the caravan outside of sorpigal gives 9, not 6.

Kensei almost one shorting my crusader. I think my gimped team is meeting its doom...
put up a fireshield and the kensai will kill itself.
there will be much worse enemies later on with similar abilities.

anyone done the air shard puzzle? this might be the most time-demanding puzzle I've ever done in a game ever.

Never seen that spell anywhere.

My problem is my bros take massive hits no matter what they're wearing. I constantly see stuff like 40+34+47+54 dmg combos on my guys. Obviously they don't stand up to that particularly well and I can't quite figure out how to counteract it yet. Armor and resists seem negligible. Maybe I just have too little HP? (Mostly around 150, lvl12ish - I dropped a Tier 1 endurance into everyone but I don't think that was a good idea now.) Celestial Armor gets cut through pretty quick when the enemies are dropping those above numbers. It's a very expensive one-time use spell now, so that's not good. Resurrect, heal, party heal are godsends, though.
This does seem like an awful lot. Are your armors up to date, and do you have secondary mitigating abilities (evade/block)? likewise, do you have access to stuff like the Earth Magic armor spell, etc?

Daggers are awesome against some enemies, but a regretful skill tree against the vast majority thus far. It has effectively gimped my assumed damage dealer.

Explain? My Blade-dancer is also making less damage than i'd like currently, but he isn't weak by any measure.

Zeriel

Arcane
40 + 34 + 47 + 54 actually isn't that much damage for Warrior difficulty, that's just to be expected unless you are wearing heavy armor.

Monocause

Arcane
I made the mistake of pumping swords for the Bladedancer, most attacks get blocked and damage is shit. Would switching over to daggers now at level 10 be practical?

This is definitely not caused by the weapon class; you've either not pumped the swords enough or you're wearing armor that gimps your attack value too much without having the skill to compensate. Or you haven't pumped the dualwield enough. Check out your attack values; if you didn't invest enough in dual wield it might be worth it to remove the offhand weapon until you develop the skill over the next 1-2 levels.

I imagine the balance between the two in terms of dual-wielding is that daggers get very powerful lategame with your 7ish(? think that's the math, +4 from GM daggers and +1 for offwield from DW) attacks and the swords offering a more moderate approach that starts out quite better but loses out later on while still being reliable.

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What is the codex consensus on might and magic 10 legacy?

How long is it?

What are its strengths and flaws?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
1) A crusader - he hardly sucks, learn to play. Develop sword, heavy armor, shield, put one point in warfare and taunt the shit out of your opponents to soak up the punishment. Starting with life magic helps, and later on you can develop it nicely. My advice is to ignore the crossbow and start with something useful instead, like endurance. Makes for a very competent tank/damage dealer in the beginning and adds some magic skills fairly shortly afterwards.
Gimme an update on how that works later on.

2) A bladedancer - once i got expert daggers this meant i got four attacks. Developing daggers/dual wield further means even more attacks; definitely more on the squishy side than the crusader but he's got a large health pool meaning he can taunt as well when there's more opponents.
From my experience, swords deal more damage than daggers. Probably depends on what items you find tho.

3&4) Dwarven runepriest, human freemage - now this is something i need to reconsider. It seems you can't really focus on more than two spell schools if you want to be efficient; mage classes really need to pump mysticism asap in this game and magical focus as soon as you can. These two along with two spell schools are four skills you want to invest quickly, and not sure if there's room for more.
My runepriest is only expert in light (i.e. one tier) and thanks to his insane Magic power (I think?) the celestial shield blocks ~100 damage. It's core in my rotation versus everything that looks nasty. Also you will probably want just 1 point in most elemental schools just for the resistance (even if it's just up to 10 points resistance or something, it helps a lot).

1) As opposed to previous MM games, ranged weapons appear to become useless fairly quickly unless you actually invest in them. Most classes can do other stuff which will be more worth your while instead of shooting the bow. It may be worth it to put a point in ranged weapons just to get the additional equip slot for magical bows but don't expect ranged weapons to be as exploitable as they were in MM6-8 and you should consider picking a different starting skill that might be more useful in the very beginning.
You need Water/Air magic for ranged to shine so you can keep enemies at a distance.
If I play this again after I finish with this group, I'll definitely pick a Ranger with Air magic.
But yeah I wouldn't recommend ranged-spec for anyone playing on Warrior, at least for the first time.

Different Inns sell different amount of Supplies. It increases. Outside the castle you'll be able to buy 9 from the wagon-boys, and later it will increase even more.
I can't recommend Earth magic enough. Especially with Druid who has Primal for identification and GM in Mysticism (+mana) as well.

2a) Gust of wind + entangle is a very useful combo if you want to keep someone at range; both of these spells are fairly cheap and deal some damage as well.
I think later level water spells have push-back too.

3) For boss fights, you need buff spells. The armor spell light mages start with is very useful. Cloak of shadows (dark magic starter spell) is fairly cheap and helps to increase survivability as well. Don't try to hoard potions, you'll just end up frustrated.

Question to those far ahead in the game: how many skill points can you expect to gather throughout the game? Is there a level cap?
I have a couple of skills on GM and 1-2 on expert for all my characters. However, you will need to do your class quest before "activiating" the GM skill and those are the one's I'm busy doing now. So far achieved two (blade dancer's and barbarian's).
I think you can expect to achieve the characters you want before you even entering act 4.
But who knows, maybe act 4 is some rushed 1-hour linear dungeon romp.

(sorry if shit's badly written, off to bed :D)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Really? Was it that limiting? You could literally walk or catch a boat to all the cities in the world
.... except for half of them (Celeste and The Pit), as already mentioned.

and your saying it's restrictive because you couldn't enter some of the end game dungeons?
Evermorn is early-mid content, Nighon is mid-game content. Shoals is another entire region that you cannot access and I didn't mention it because it's precisely endgame content. I didn't mention a single dungeon.

That seems like a slightly pedantic view.
It might seem so when you're completely wrong.

Now if you'll excuse me I have a game to play.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
GameOverScreen_zps42f94c11.jpg

Nice reference :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You know what? Fuck you. It doesn't work but somehow i managed to make a 1680x1050 screenshot. That's some fine trolling right there. And Infinitron either can't computer, or PCs work differently in Israel.

By the way, i have a MMX Deluxe key (with MM6) to give away. Uplay only, unfortunaltely. The above poster isn't eligible though, because he chose to be an ass while i wanted to help.

I was an ass because you got all bitchy about me asking for a tie-breaker vote. I then said thanks for the pic, because it proved you right. Don't be so fucking emo.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Bladedancer upgrade quest

What the goddam fuck. That mage guy hits for like 150-200 bolts of damage and he's got the moves of a kungfu master. I had to ditch most of my armor to get my attack value up, not that said armor was doing jackshit against his uber magicka. I eventually did kill him and cheered. Now, I don't know if I fucked up because I walked up to the tree and 'interacted' with it or if they were already there, but when I turned around there was a horde of attack golems surrounding me. That ended my party and my night of gaming. I could only muster a few more attempts against him before surrendering. I usually approached him with various buffs up, but a critical strike from him was a 1-shot kill straight through Celestial Armor. Not sure what he's weak to, if anything. I dropped multiple cyclones on him just for effect and prayed my dwarf and elf would manage to land blows/crits. Maybe I'll try to tomorrow, though I hate having to stare a boss in the face, then abruptly turn around and trek all the way back up a few ladders to exit and go grind shit out elsewhere. When you see guys like this, it only makes me think characters like the Freemage of premium value, because I keep running into shit only they can stop.

Zeriel

Arcane
The ghouls on that quest after he dies are pretty brutal, yeah. One of those "come back later" things for me, at least.

Incidentally...

RdpVr3g.jpg

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Just reached Act 3, this game is still as much fun as it was in the first couple hours. Best release of the year so far to me!
And just thinking about all the nice other RPGs to come this year... *opens kleenex box*

Anyways, so general loot appears to be randomized but relics are "hand placed" right? I assume so because earlier in this Thread there was talk from 3 different bros about finding the same relic. I was a little miffed that (Act 1/2 relic spoiler following)
I was a little miffed when I found my second relic, that it was also a pair of boots. The same kind of item as the first relic you encounter. Kind of a weird choice IMHO so that made me wonder if all relics were in fact hand placed.
Just for the sake of comparison, relics found by me:
Boots "Holy Sandals" in Act 1 as reward for solving the catacomb puzzle, seems to be the same for everybody.

But did you guys also get the "Titan Leggings" boots as reward in the Act 2 catacomb puzzle? or did you get something else?
The third relic I found in Act 2 was a shield aboard the wrecked ship north of Seahaven "Shield of the sun".

/e: paging Zeriel for this spoiler question because you seem to have finished Act 2 already as well

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
All the relics are static, yeah. Covered that in our preview, too.

It's one of the more "meta-gamey" aspects of MMXL, and probably intentionally so considering they're all puzzle crypts with no combat to lock them out.

There are relics you have to fight/reach further acts to get, though, so they're not all like that.

List of my found ones for completionist sake:

Holy Sandals from riddle crypt near Portmeyron.

Demon's Kiss crossbow from the Dangerous Cave with Shadow Dragon near Portmeyron.

Titan Leggings from riddle crypt near Yon'chall forest/Minho Marsh.

Ancestor Mask (omgsogood) from riddle crypt of exploding doom in the Desolate Wilds.

Starsilver Sword from the quest in Seahaven.

Blackfang Gloves from the Blackfang Hideout merchant in Karthal Slums.

Irnaran Axe from Martyaxwar in Dangerous Cave in Yon'chall Forest.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Regarding someone talking about Angry Joe Review... I don't know who this guy was, but the moment I switched it on, I knew he was an idiot. I made it through 1 minute total time of his video (skipping parts only to find out the next ones are as bland as the ones before). He's not funny, he's not even angry, he's just a random stupid. I don't get why he was mentioned at all. Please shoot yourself whoever it was mentioning him. I shoot myself too because I mentioned him.

That screen also has Sheltem's laugh straight from Clouds of Xeen's intro, I have to admit I chuckled a bit. It's a shame that art is straight from Duel of Champions though, so much art in this game is recycled from 2nd rate modern-day M&M projects...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I honestly don't see what all the fuzz over graphics is about. People on the 'dex seem annoyed by them as well. I think they're pretty good.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't mind the graphics that much but it has the same issue with asus xonar than some other games ie. buzzing noise after you close the game. Not a major issue, just annoying.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't mind the graphics at all, it's just the terrible optimization that gets me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom