Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Turjan

Arcane
But I grew up in the United States, was supposedly shaped by its cultural mores. Why do scenes like that make me experience this overwhelming feeling of empathetic embarassment?
Who knows. Perhaps you are some unpatriotic traitor? Did you vote for Obama?

I mean, I can sympathize. Scenes like that look nearly always embarrassing to me. However, I've seen my share of them in TV shows and Hollywood films.

Zeriel

Arcane
But I grew up in the United States, was supposedly shaped by its cultural mores. Why do scenes like that make me experience this overwhelming feeling of empathetic embarassment?
Who knows. Perhaps you are some unpatriotic traitor? Did you vote for Obama?

I mean, I can sympathize. Scenes like that look nearly always embarrassing to me. However, I've seen my share of them in TV shows and Hollywood films.

Interpreting Hollywood films as a realistic portrayal of American society could lead to some alarming conclusions. (Also, foreigners taking Hollywood literally to amusing effect is in of itself a Hollywood trope. The ride never ends.)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Been playing with my PS3 controller, a much smoother experience overall than playing with mouse and keyboard, that being said...

The fuck am i playing here? Biowares second attempt at a single player MMO? because it sure feels like it, every fucking zone is the same shit, settle new camps, do some star puzzles, pick up some crafting crap, close some rifts, repeat in next zone.

The characters and story are forgettable, there are little to no proper quests, the combat is shit...

But Bioware did manage to achieve something that they can be proud of, the visual design and consistency of the zones is very well done. The Sword Coast (?) looks amazing, their artists deserve props for this at least, its pretty to look at.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Been playing with my PS3 controller, a much smoother experience overall than playing with mouse and keyboard, that being said...

The fuck am i playing here? Biowares second attempt at a single player MMO? because it sure feels like it, every fucking zone is the same shit, settle new camps, do some star puzzles, pick up some crafting crap, close some rifts, repeat in next zone.

The characters and story are forgettable, there are little to no proper quests, the combat is shit...

But Bioware did manage to achieve something that they can be proud of, the visual design and consistency of the zones is very well done. The Sword Coast (?) looks amazing, their artists deserve props for this at least, its pretty to look at.

Hence the Rune Factory analogy. The entire point of this game as far as I can tell is to farm resources and build your forces.

Turjan

Arcane
Interpreting Hollywood films as a realistic portrayal of American society could lead to some alarming conclusions. (Also, foreigners taking Hollywood literally to amusing effect is in of itself a Hollywood trope. The ride never ends.)
I lived long enough in the US to know the difference.

Anyway, thinking of the scene in DA:I again, I guess the cringeworthy aspect is that everyone's face immediately lights up when the singing starts. This gets emphasized with RK47's choice of music. That reaction is completely unrealistic. This kind of scene may lift you out of your depressive thoughts, but it doesn't completely erase and revert them.

Zeriel

Arcane

Well, they did mention that Dragon Age: Inquisition started development after DA:O, not DA II, and that it was first conceived as a multiplayer game, so perhaps that explains a lot.

I meant to mention this earlier, but there were a few melody refrains in the Hinterlands (very brief, about 10-15 seconds each) that reminded me very strongly of the outdoors music in Baldur's Gate. Made me wonder how much more palatable this awful game could have been if it was actually set in the Sword Coast and D&D, instead of being Bioware's mediocre pastiche thereof.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I meant to mention this earlier, but there were a few melody refrains in the Hinterlands (very brief, about 10-15 seconds each) that reminded me very strongly of the outdoors music in Baldur's Gate. Made me wonder how much more palatable this awful game could have been if it was actually set in the Sword Coast and D&D, instead of being Bioware's mediocre pastiche thereof.

There is, you can find several snippets of music from both BG and BG2 reworked into DA:I.

BG has an awesome OST btw...

Zeriel

Arcane
I would sacrifice actual human babies to get a decent D&D RPG (even action-y) with this level of production quality and scope made. Too bad Hasbro wants the license to sit dead and unused (or if used, used by tiny studios).

"Decent" is probably asking too much however, the result would probably be something like Neverwinter (the MMO), a hollow abomination of a game. I suppose the sensibilities of 2nd Edition D&D are long-dead and gone, modern D&D is virtually indistinguishable from shitty MMOs.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gee, I can't wait when they make KOTOR 3 with Frostbite Engine. :roll:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Yep, and that is the primary demographic for all BioWare games: The general public.

NOT people who actually like cRPGs.

Yet even a lot of people from probably the most hardcore RPG site (atleast it has that reputation) bought the game and sank a lot of hours in it as evidenced by this thread. EA doesn't care if you buy their product because you want to see first-hand how much it sucks (or whatever other made-up bullshit reason is thrown around here), they still get your $$$ (which is the only thing they care about).

Zeriel

Arcane
I dunno about HP bloat, most enemies in the game die really quickly if you focus fire. The ones who don't are clear bosses. If you are comparing it to Baldur's Gate where most enemies have the same HP as the player, sure, there's HP bloat, but I wouldn't call it egregious.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So, what is the next game that will bring Bioware to the throne of uberdevelopers of AAAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++ games with genius plot and writing? Mass Effect 4?

Ezrite

Learned
So, what is the next game that will bring Bioware to the throne of uberdevelopers of AAAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++ games with genius plot and writing? Mass Effect 4?

It should be Mass Effect 4, I guess 2016, earliest late 2015. BUt they probably need an extra year for 2017 to "make it less shit".

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
But as this is the DAI thread, I will say my major grip with this game, the fucking HP bloat.

I've only played DA:O and HP bloat was one of the things I hated most in the game. Is it actually worse in this one ??

The first weapon you wield has about 45 DPS... and it takes ages to kill a level one creature with just 45 DPS...

It's like they just added a zero so everything sounds BIG. There's no reason why your first weapon shouldn't be 4.5 DPS and the enemy has the standard 20 HP. But, no, you have 45 DPS and the enemy has 500 HP - AT LEVEL 1. I find it amusing how, as the games require less and less mathematical skill, the numbers get inflated to points where you have to be a mathematical genius to calculate what's going on just in your head.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yep, and that is the primary demographic for all BioWare games: The general public.

NOT people who actually like cRPGs.

Yet even a lot of people from probably the most hardcore RPG site (atleast it has that reputation) bought the game and sank a lot of hours in it as evidenced by this thread. EA doesn't care if you buy their product because you want to see first-hand how much it sucks (or whatever other made-up bullshit reason is thrown around here), they still get your $$$ (which is the only thing they care about).

Maybe. I'm waiting to see whether Inquisition works as a party-driven action-RPG/Simulator mash up. It sort of depends on whether there is any mid-end game payoff for doing all these MMO fetch quests. It won't be a great or good game, but it will pass 'okay'.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I dunno about HP bloat, most enemies in the game die really quickly if you focus fire. The ones who don't are clear bosses. If you are comparing it to Baldur's Gate where most enemies have the same HP as the player, sure, there's HP bloat, but I wouldn't call it egregious.

Theres most definitely HP bloat in the game, bears, those hipo things in the swamp lands, even nugs take more than a hit to kill, and thats wildlife....

When it comes to enemies, usually the ranged ones die rather quickly, but anything that engages in melee takes a a lot of hits to kill.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
According to this http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/introducing-steam-gauge-ars-reveals-steams-most-popular-games/ modding seems to be very crucial for games.Can't see one game in that top 20 that is not moddable.For Skyrim I think it just tipped it to that 20 mil units status.
This merely shows that majority of people don't play computer games. Majority of buyers are these who would play it under 12 hours. People who would use mods are these who would play it once, then play it with mod as well.

(Considering there is no OOO for Skyrim, and it's quite strange nothing like that appeared, it can't be even the original excuse "modders would fix it".)

7/10

Learned
All combat stats ultimately boil down to increasing your HP or your damage. Most such stats are nothing more than needless faggotry, pretending the game has any sort of depth. Diablo 3 has four defensive stats (HP, armor, elemental resistance and evasion). The only result of this considerable "depth" was forcing the player to use external calculators in order to decide if a given piece of gear will increase or decrease his survivability, because it was often impossible to tell. So Blizzard has smartened up and introduced a derivative stat that tracks all four at once - giving you your "real" HP value.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
For me the worst part about the Derp Roads is that it ruined the actually interesting part that came right afterwards, where you fight with that dwarf Legion on a bridge, then you go into those cool ruins and get the Broodmother section. By the time I got there I was so tired of shitty cave combat that I couldn't appreciate it, I just wanted it to be over already.
That was exactly my problem. I played DA:O at least seven times but I never finished it. I ALWAYS left the derp roads for last, even tried running them on "consoletard" difficulty to spead it up. No use. All I had to do was call the Landsmeet and be done with it but... all my motivation had vaporized. Burned out. Bye game.
And being one of those players that cannot continue from old saves months later, but have to start fresh... well. At least there was jewtube to give me closure.
The only other game I never finished because of loosing motivation is GTA4. DA:O doesn't deserve that company. :obviously:

Ulrox

Arbiter
I would sacrifice actual human babies to get a decent D&D RPG (even action-y) with this level of production quality and scope made. Too bad Hasbro wants the license to sit dead and unused (or if used, used by tiny studios).

Well, good news - hasbro just lost its license so wizards of the coast is doing things again to dungeons and dragons. I follow Trent Oster on twitter and he's really happy to be working with wizards instead of hashbro, since wizards are much more agreeable...

Quote from him :"
Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster 22. okt.
Just finished up meetings with the Wizards of the Coast. My mind is blown with how awesome the future looks"

On the whole randomly singing thing... Its disney and it appeals to 10-12 year olds. You can't take the story seriously after you've seen something like that.

Edit:" - another quote from trent on twitter;
Trent Oster @TrentOster · 23. okt.
From what we saw, the future of #DnD is going to be amazing. I'm crazy excited!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom