Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Might have been posted before. Daniel Vavra didn't like DAI much:
maC5nE9.png

This coming from the man who has yet to release his epic awesome AAAA+ RPG that will redefine the genre while appealing to the Skyrim crowd but not being like Skyrim because Skyrim sucks and publishers are evil while he would certainly blow 1000 dicks if a big publishers would just release his game...

Yeah, Daniel Vávra so edgy

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So, anyone willing to tastefully spoil the "plot"?
The mage who first went to the fade and infected the black city to start the first wave of darkspawn has been waiting ~1000 years for revenge.. You interrupt some ritual giving you some ability that can stop him because Bioware Writing.. Save some cows.. kill some mages / templars.. cameo appearances from all the fan fic favorites..

In the end you save the day and watch a green / blue / red sunset.

Kaspar Hauser

Educated
Richard Boisvert, Cinematic Designer at bioware 'bout the singing:
"Hey everyone, I was the Cinematic Designer at BioWare responsible for the presentation of this scene. I just wanted to say how much your comments and feelings towards this scene are not only humbling and awe-inspiring, but also incredibly relieving. For months after this scene was completed I was stressed and worried that the scene was going to fall flat, was too corny, or just was not going to hit the mark. Hearing all of you say the opposite is truly comforting, and I am grateful for that."

http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2n98zf/biowares_cinematic_designer_shares_his_heartfelt/

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The mage who first went to the fade and infected the black city to start the first wave of darkspawn has been waiting ~1000 years for revenge.. You interrupt some ritual giving you some ability that can stop him because Bioware Writing.. Save some cows.. kill some mages / templars.. cameo appearances from all the fan fic favorites..

Thank you. Are there any details to add? Why did the Big Bad end up the way he is now? What is/was his Master Plan?

Nael

Arcane
One thing though.. Does anyone else feel that overwhelming SJW influence on this game? Almost every woman is some kind of burly manly lesbian or weird fan fic shill..
Well, I just encountered this in the game:

euib.jpg

There are also codex lore entries going into great detail about the sexual preferences of the different people of Thedas.

That's some pretty gay shit, man.

Psquit

Arcane

Thank you. Are there any details to add? Why did the Big Bad end up the way he is now? What is/was his Master Plan?

He is butthurt cause

There are no gods. The plan is to become a god.

Drakron

Arcane
I didn't notice blatant SJW shilling until DA2 / ME 3... Mass Effect 3 was really bad for making my character into a flamboyant twat

It existed in KotOR but it was simply subdue (its just something you can figured out about one NPC, likely that flown under LucasArts radar since gay people in Star Wars wasnt going to happen during George watch), it was Jade Empire were it really started but back then it was just sexualized with options, Mass Effect had it too with so much Asari sex, them come EA and things changed, Dragon Age Origins also had a lot but the shift was certainly in DA2 that persisted, ME3 was certainly bad as in I can understand the gay bashing if gay people acted like that, its so over the top that makes "Sleeps with anyone really" of previous games look tame.

Zeriel

Arcane

The best part is you can kill him in DA2 and they handwave it with "WOW HE MUST BE JUST THAT POWERFUL".

It blows my mind people (by which I mean their rabid fans, of which there are a surprising number) still care about the C&C importing part of Bioware games when it has exactly zero effect on the game.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space

He is butthurt cause

I spoiled the ending to myself through jewtube since I never intended on playing the game and was curious about how they'd chose to end the third game in the series/setting, and you're kinda wrong.

There are gods. He didn't find them, but they do exist. At least, the Elven Pantheon is real because Solas is Fen'Harel the Dread Wolf, the power to manipulate the fade/rifts came from him originally, is elven magic, he used Corypheus to awaken the power of the orb. After the credits sequence you see Fen'Harel killing and absorbing Flemeth's life force with her consent because he needed it for god knows what reason. So basically, the third game in the series ends in a Cliffhanger. You have no idea how happy I feel to have avoided buying this utter piece of shit and not acted like RK and the other idiots. It ends with more questions than answers.

By the way, Solas is the real "villain" of the game. The thing with Corypheus only happened because Solas/The Dread Wolf willed it. Corypheus is a side dish, just like Loghain in DAO. They are ultimately irrelevant to the setting, only to the shitty plot of the game. They caused suffering etc blablabla, but they're more like marionettes than real actors with power over the world. Solas was there with you from the very beginning to get you to destroy Corypheus after using him to awaken the power. Corypheus rise AND demise were both set in literal stone.
It also answers the minor plot hole of the intro where people wondered why that NPC knew you could close rifts as soon as he talked to you.

edit : Flemeth is also.. Mythal, another Elven god. The plot thickens. DA3 reads like the second episode of a trilogy despite being the third game. Must milk the DLC and sequels good bra.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
The best part is you can kill him in DA2 and they handwave it with "WOW HE MUST BE JUST THAT POWERFUL".

The operative part of that sentence is "you think you can kill him"

deadnotbigsuprise.jpg

Ultimately it comes down to "we don't give a shit about your choices, we want to do this, and we're not going to let what happened in previous games change that". Their explanation makes no sense because it was their choice to put that in the previous games. That's not stomping your feet when you find the result inexplicable. It's calling them out on their own indecisiveness. If they didn't want people to kill a particular character, the choice shouldn't have been in the game.

I don't particularly care either way, I just wish they'd leave these non-choices out of the game. It serves to muddy the waters for the rare occasion when a choice does matter. Their games teach you to expect every choice to not matter one bit, and when one does you're left puzzled. It's about consistency.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Haha, it literally ends on the guy's glowing evil eyes with the game going "DUN DUN DUN!"

To so many people Bioware is the savior of rpg's. What a laugh!

Slow James

Savant
Ultimately it comes down to "we don't give a shit about your choices, we want to do this, and we're not going to let what happened in previous games change that". Their explanation makes no sense because it was their choice to put that in the previous games. That's not stomping your feet when you find the result inexplicable. It's calling them out on their own indecisiveness. If they didn't want people to kill a particular character, the choice shouldn't have been in the game.

I don't particularly care either way, I just wish they'd leave these non-choices out of the game. It serves to muddy the waters for the rare occasion when a choice does matter. Their games teach you to expect every choice to not matter one bit, and when one does you're left puzzled. It's about consistency.

Wrong. They shouldn't remove the choices - they should remove the imports. Choices are a huge driver of replayability and enjoyment. Without them, a game becomes insanely linear. Keep the choices, just get rid of the mechanic of carrying those choices over into future games. If you are going to ignore or handwave them in future games, just make each game start with a canon.

That's how Ultima did it, that's how Fallout does it... and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Zeriel

Arcane

Wrong. They shouldn't remove the choices - they should remove the imports. Choices are a huge driver of replayability and enjoyment. Without them, a game becomes insanely linear. Keep the choices, just get rid of the mechanic of carrying those choices over into future games. If you are going to ignore or handwave them in future games, just make each game start with a canon.

That's how Ultima did it, that's how Fallout does it... and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Fair enough. I was going to say their games would benefit immensely from giving up this whole "we must make franchises!" kick, but that's never going to happen.

I don't know, I really doubt we'll see them shift on this, even if it's not something they live up to the whole choices that carry over through games in some fashion are basically part of their corporate brand now, it's one of the few things that differentiate them.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Haha, it literally ends on the guy's glowing evil eyes with the game going "DUN DUN DUN!"

To so many people Bioware is the savior of rpg's. What a laugh!
DLCs, I guess.

EDIT: It's the same thing as the Marvel movies after credits scenes, really. EA just wants to build a successful franchise and everyone was "Ooooh, Thanos!" when Marvel did it, so it must work for them as well, right.

Last edited:

Whiran

Magister
But... but... but... what David Gaider is writing is that players only -think- she died. She didn't really!

Or.. maybe she did die but now it's a doppelganger!

You see? they respect your choice and what you think happened didn't really happen. You only -think- it happened.

:happytrollboy:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Interpreting Hollywood films as a realistic portrayal of American society could lead to some alarming conclusions. (Also, foreigners taking Hollywood literally to amusing effect is in of itself a Hollywood trope. The ride never ends.)
I lived long enough in the US to know the difference.

Anyway, thinking of the scene in DA:I again, I guess the cringeworthy aspect is that everyone's face immediately lights up when the singing starts. This gets emphasized with RK47's choice of music. That reaction is completely unrealistic. This kind of scene may lift you out of your depressive thoughts, but it doesn't completely erase and revert them.

it could've been good, but the terrible lyrics and unrealistic staging made it embarrassing. this is part of the problem with any kind of big-budget storytelling, that it always wants to hammer on the positive and give the audience/player this feeling of heroism. I find it so fucking awkward when crowds of digital people spend screentime shouting about what a hero I am. I can -feel- some corporate slug somewhere saying 'but we have to tell the sheep how great they are so they feel good.'

you may shear me, Bioware, but don't condescend to me. I don't need a herd of your voiceactors shouting about what a great guy I am. that does nothing but make me think you have no respect for me, which, well, apparent already. especially because it would've happened the same way even if I'd been deliberately making the worst decisions possible and letting everyone die and shit.

I still don't hate the game. switching from tank spec to giant fuckoff two-handed axe spend my whole time whirlwinding spec may be part of this non-hate. but I really, really wish it were a little more grounded. if you're gonna fucking sing at me in the snow, sing something haunting like Ain True Love and develop a great soundscape and show me varied reactions from the other characters (I liked that Solas didn't join in, but that's the best we got), not just universal fervor. and take out all of your fucking postprocessing and drop the instrumentation. make it feel like a real moment and maybe I'll have a real emotion. as is, any reaction I have to it I immediately lash out at as falling victim to a calculated marketing move.

if I think the people who wrote a scene won't feel anything when they watch it play out, didn't feel anything as they were writing it, then I'm going to rebel against anything I feel while playing it. sorry, "watching it," in this case.

also...better lipsynching would really, really help.

Slow James

Savant
Fair enough. I was going to say their games would benefit immensely from giving up this whole "we must make franchises!" kick, but that's never going to happen.

I don't know, I really doubt we'll see them shift on this, even if it's not something they live up to the whole choices that carry over through games in some fashion are basically part of their corporate brand now, it's one of the few things that differentiate them.

It will get to the point where people just stop caring because no game ever follows up on it. The fourth game will be the tipping point. A third game people can just assume the second game didn't do a good job. When the third game hits and shows they really don't have any sort of plan or intention of carrying something like this forward, the illusion is shattered. DA4 (which I assume will be made) will give only the most cursory of lip service to prior game decisions because the players' will is broken.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

He is butthurt cause

I spoiled the ending to myself through jewtube since I never intended on playing the game and was curious about how they'd chose to end the third game in the series/setting, and you're kinda wrong.

There are gods. He didn't find them, but they do exist. At least, the Elven Pantheon is real because Solas is Fen'Harel the Dread Wolf, the power to manipulate the fade/rifts came from him originally, is elven magic, he used Corypheus to awaken the power of the orb. After the credits sequence you see Fen'Harel killing and absorbing Flemeth's life force with her consent because he needed it for god knows what reason. So basically, the third game in the series ends in a Cliffhanger. You have no idea how happy I feel to have avoided buying this utter piece of shit and not acted like RK and the other idiots. It ends with more questions than answers.

By the way, Solas is the real "villain" of the game. The thing with Corypheus only happened because Solas/The Dread Wolf willed it. Corypheus is a side dish, just like Loghain in DAO. They are ultimately irrelevant to the setting, only to the shitty plot of the game. They caused suffering etc blablabla, but they're more like marionettes than real actors with power over the world. Solas was there with you from the very beginning to get you to destroy Corypheus after using him to awaken the power. Corypheus rise AND demise were both set in literal stone.
It also answers the minor plot hole of the intro where people wondered why that NPC knew you could close rifts as soon as he talked to you.

I thought you had me on ignore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom