Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Slow James

Savant
But... but... but... what David Gaider is writing is that players only -think- she died. She didn't really!

Or.. maybe she did die but now it's a doppelganger!

You see? they respect your choice and what you think happened didn't really happen. You only -think- it happened.

:happytrollboy:

Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining golden sunshine, son.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Interpreting Hollywood films as a realistic portrayal of American society could lead to some alarming conclusions. (Also, foreigners taking Hollywood literally to amusing effect is in of itself a Hollywood trope. The ride never ends.)
I lived long enough in the US to know the difference.

Anyway, thinking of the scene in DA:I again, I guess the cringeworthy aspect is that everyone's face immediately lights up when the singing starts. This gets emphasized with RK47's choice of music. That reaction is completely unrealistic. This kind of scene may lift you out of your depressive thoughts, but it doesn't completely erase and revert them.

it could've been good, but the terrible lyrics and unrealistic staging made it embarrassing. this is part of the problem with any kind of big-budget storytelling, that it always wants to hammer on the positive and give the audience/player this feeling of heroism. I find it so fucking awkward when crowds of digital people spend screentime shouting about what a hero I am. I can -feel- some corporate slug somewhere saying 'but we have to tell the sheep how great they are so they feel good.'

you may shear me, Bioware, but don't condescend to me. I don't need a herd of your voiceactors shouting about what a great guy I am. that does nothing but make me think you have no respect for me, which, well, apparent already. especially because it would've happened the same way even if I'd been deliberately making the worst decisions possible and letting everyone die and shit.

I still don't hate the game. switching from tank spec to giant fuckoff two-handed axe spend my whole time whirlwinding spec may be part of this non-hate. but I really, really wish it were a little more grounded. if you're gonna fucking sing at me in the snow, sing something haunting like Ain True Love and develop a great soundscape and show me varied reactions from the other characters (I liked that Solas didn't join in, but that's the best we got), not just universal fervor. and take out all of your fucking postprocessing and drop the instrumentation. make it feel like a real moment and maybe I'll have a real emotion. as is, any reaction I have to it I immediately lash out at as falling victim to a calculated marketing move.

if I think the people who wrote a scene won't feel anything when they watch it play out, didn't feel anything as they were writing it, then I'm going to rebel against anything I feel while playing it. sorry, "watching it," in this case.

also...better lipsynching would really, really help.

When Cullen broke into song I had a tear in my eye.. from laughing so hard.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Wrong. They shouldn't remove the choices - they should remove the imports. Choices are a huge driver of replayability and enjoyment. Without them, a game becomes insanely linear. Keep the choices, just get rid of the mechanic of carrying those choices over into future games. If you are going to ignore or handwave them in future games, just make each game start with a canon.
But... but... but... what David Gaider is writing is that players only -think- she died. She didn't really!

Or.. maybe she did die but now it's a doppelganger!

You see? they respect your choice and what you think happened didn't really happen. You only -think- it happened.

not to defend this, I mean, it could have just been a new fucking character, but dying in the same room as a magical Phoenix Down-type full heal does make for a relatively reasonable justification for coming back to life. I guess that's how it happened? I never used her and never defiled so idk the details

and I haven't played the dharkhsphawhn DLC for DA2 but the wiki said that it was pretty clear cossybossywhatever had possessed one of the Wardens after you killed im, which is a thing it's established powerful dharkhsphawhn-type things can sorta do, with the way archdemons need to inhabit-slay a Warden when they die

I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying it's not necessarily as inconsistent as all that

Cromwell

Arcane
I have only one question, In Da:o you had the ritual with morrigan, and in the witch hunt dlc she pisses off to fuck knows where, but its hinted that theres something important coming. Is this actually important to the story this time or is it ignored like it was in da 2?

Hepler's Vagina

Learned
I have only one question, In Da:o you had the ritual with morrigan, and in the witch hunt dlc she pisses off to fuck knows where, but its hinted that theres something important coming. Is this actually important to the story this time or is it ignored like it was in da 2?

Bit muddled and not fully explained http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EBcOUhgbA even Morrigan not sure what the story is

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I finally DLed the english language pack today because I didn't dare starting the game the past few days and now it has some kind of weird memory leak that makes my computer completely break down after ~10 - 15 minutes

Well I know a sign when I see one

Cromwell

Arcane

Bit muddled and not fully explained http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EBcOUhgbA even Morrigan not sure what the story is

So not really important meh as I played it a few years ago I had hoped something better will come out of the story.

Nael

Arcane

holy fuck WHY?!

:lol:

I was trying to avoid spoilers until the crack comes out, but I don't care anymore after this, I will watch the entire Chinquisition.

My thoughts exactly. I went ahead and read the spoilers and was like "It didn't spoil. It was already spoiled." But spoiled in a way like lutefisk where I eat it for the lulz and the "what-the-why face" whereupon I promptly delete it from my HD upon consumption never to return.

Prime Junta

Damn you Codex. The rage on this thread was so delicious I had to go and buy it.

So far the writing is hilarious, right through bad and out the other side into camp, which means the bisexual bovines are a perfect fit. I made a wrikly old wizard with lots of eyeshadow so he doesn't feel out of place.

(The UI isn't unplayable on kb+mouse by the way. It's just... moderately clunky.)

Zeriel

Arcane
Damn you Codex. The rage on this thread was so delicious I had to go and buy it.

So far the writing is hilarious, right through bad and out the other side into camp, which means the bisexual bovines are a perfect fit. I made a wrikly old wizard with lots of eyeshadow so he doesn't feel out of place.

(The UI isn't unplayable on kb+mouse by the way. It's just... moderately clunky.)

Yeah, I had similar experiences with DA2. There's some comedy to be found if you make your character into a meth addict lost in a permanent high staring blankly at all the "heroism" around him.

I'm the chosen one, you say?

N9wHMhC.jpg

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Ride the Bull?

More like play the bull, tbh I used to have quite a high opinion of the RPG nerds here, being myself one, however a lot of you seem to think it's uber hip to trash Bio, and in that I agree, but then you go on to talk about them for 400 pages.

If you want them to die then let them fucking die, but every word you give them, be it good, bad or indifferent is in their favour. As far as the general mass of bumblenuts are concerned there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Kill this thread with fire, or at least 399 pages of it.

standing athwart modern crpg's and making youtube clips with funny music editing is what the codex is about, go to the watch and cry there or something gosh

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Ride the Bull?

More like play the bull, tbh I used to have quite a high opinion of the RPG nerds here, being myself one, however a lot of you seem to think it's uber hip to trash Bio, and in that I agree, but then you go on to talk about them for 400 pages.

If you want them to die then let them fucking die, but every word you give them, be it good, bad or indifferent is in their favour. As far as the general mass of bumblenuts are concerned there's no such thing as bad publicity.

there are some people with specific observations to make who aren't just squirting from whichever orifice they find most handy

just not a lot of them

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ride the Bull?

'sup drog

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Ride the Bull?

there are some people with specific observations to make who aren't just squirting from whichever orifice they find most handy

just not a lot of them

Ah, must've missed them over all the grunts and groans of ecstatic arousal.

If you want them to die then let them fucking die, but every word you give them, be it good, bad or indifferent is in their favour.

No, the Codex lacks the power you assign it... Hell, it would actually be more logical to concede that Bioware is willfully trolling the Codex with their game design - all the while being heralded as a shining beacon of RPG goodness. Mainstream gaming loves this game -> bugs, shitty design, shitty implementation and all. There is no killing it, fire or otherwise.

-addendum-

I know it is probably asking too much, but a VD review of DAI would be great. For continuity sake and to juxtapose against his DAO review, IE the evolution of Bioware™.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom