Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What the hell is happening in this thread? Strategy board used to be relatively free of retardation, trolls and propagators of shit taste...

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
50_35304457.jpg

No idea who those guys on the left are (six walkers?), but the Castle line-up still looks swell. :cool:

APGunner

Augur
After a wave of 8 thousand comments on the official blog shitting on the newly revealed necro units, devs have finally admitted that they fucked up.

We do not make any promise here since we still have to study the impact this change could imply on our side before giving a straight answer in a way or another.It is important to keep in mind that even if we are able to do changes, the line-up (creatures listing & abilities) would remain the same and we would focus on 1 or 2 creatures visuals depending on our opportunities.
Doesn't seem too promising though.

Also there was a new Q&A post.
  • Town portal teleports only to nearest city.
  • Artifacts sets, Tears of Asha back.
  • Can recruit units from dwellings via caravan.
  • Combat will be "faster".
And a picture of a neutral unit - sea elf.

Neutrals_Sea_Elf.jpg

Looks good. You could argue that in a heroes game this concept art is out of place, but on its own it looks good.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really don't get the "Sphinx" in necro line up. There are like dozen kind of waiting in the line and they picked it, again...

Sea elf looks good, would band 7/10

m_s0

Arcane
Major changes are out of the question at this point if they want to hit the date they're aiming for. Goes to show you what this fan participation farce is actually worth.

Last edited:
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't get all this complaining, HoMM art style has never really been that good. 2 was probably the peak of the series and even that had some questionable designs.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
HoMM II is my personal number 1 on "best looking games ever" list. III isn't as good (the creatures are a bit meh), but the town screens, UI, portraits, spell icons and especially the strategic map are still beautiful. Even if someone doesn't hold them in such a high regard, I think we can all agree that they were very handsome games indeed.

So I don't think it's that shocking that the way they changed starting from IV (which still isn't nearly as bad as V+) makes people kinda butthurt.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
IMO IV's creature artstyle is awful, while the strategic map is still good looking.
Yeah, many creatures in IV looked just plain :retarded:

The map was OK-ish, but to this day I wonder why they dropped the perspective that was one of the most characteristic features of the great style that HoMM I-III had. When they went standard iso, Heroes became just another average strategy game presentation wise. Which was then followed by WoW-like 3D of V.

:decline:

Cadmus

Arcane
IMO IV's creature artstyle is awful, while the strategic map is still good looking.
Yeah, many creatures in IV looked just plain :retarded:

The map was OK-ish, but to this day I wonder why they dropped the perspective that was one of the most characteristic features of the great style that HoMM I-III had. When they went standard iso, Heroes became just another average strategy game presentation wise. Which was then followed by WoW-like 3D of V.

:decline:
I liked some of the models in HIV more than HIII, some were total shit (like the Elves). The overland map was really pretty imo, definitely on par with HIII.

Whiran

Magister
I'm surprised at how close to the art-style of WoW this iteration is looking. Did they hire some ex-Blizzard art types?

flushfire

Augur
A bit closer to the generic korean MMO style (Lineage 2, Aion, Granado Espada, Archlord, DK online etc) than WoW to be honest. Maybe they hired asian artists since I've heard they're... not too expensive.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Major changes are out of the question at this point if they want to hit the date they're aiming for. Goes to show you what this fan participation farce is actually worth.
Well... they are operating within limits here. They are bound to deadlines, obviously and do not have a very strong negotiation position with whoever gives them money to begin with.
But yes, in such situations, community input has limited effect.

At least they do communicate rather transparent.

m_s0

Arcane
It works as long as everyone is happy with everything, and this is exactly why it's completely pointless - good intentions or no good intentions. Plus, it's not transparency when the flow of information is controlled by the PR department. I highly doubt they post everything they'd want to.

That's basically what I see this as: a PR-stunt trying to get Ubisoft some cheap decent press.

Zeriel

Arcane
It works as long as everyone is happy with everything, and this is exactly why it's completely pointless - good intentions or no good intentions. Plus, it's not transparency when the flow of information is controlled by the PR department. I highly doubt they post everything they'd want to.

That's basically what I see this as: a PR-stunt trying to get Ubisoft some cheap decent press.

It's a fucking awful way to get good PR, the end result is just half the playerbase pissed off they didn't get the votes to go the way they wanted. Limbic probably just really wants to get fan input, whether or not that's a good idea.

Archibald

Arcane
I'm not a fan of overdesign in general, but one of my annoyances is how it makes shit units look better than they are supposed to. I mean look at that skeleton, its clearly someone raised a skeletons and dressed him up to look like some kinda boss unit from action game. But skeletons aren't strong, they die in thousands every game. For comparison we can google out some H2/H3/H4 skeletons that look they were raised directly in battlefield and manages to pick up some generic shit sword and some armor if they were lucky. While I didn't like H5 skeletons due to green shit coming out of their asses they still looked passable.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Apparently there was a lot of shit throwing in the comments on the H7 website when they revealed the Necro line-up.

I for one am not surprised - the rest of the line-up looks p. shit too.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wonder if the devs are aware that they are making another inevitable blunder. Perhaps this is Ubisofts way of getting rid of undesireables. Assign them to make a Heroes of Migh & Magic game and then axe them when it comes out shit (it always does).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm not a fan of overdesign in general, but one of my annoyances is how it makes shit units look better than they are supposed to. I mean look at that skeleton, its clearly someone raised a skeletons and dressed him up to look like some kinda boss unit from action game. But skeletons aren't strong, they die in thousands every game.

Yeah, and now imagine manufactoring all those tens of thousands of suits of elaborate armour just to outfit the skellingtons that will die en masse in every engagement.

Logic, wot dat

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm not a fan of overdesign in general, but one of my annoyances is how it makes shit units look better than they are supposed to. I mean look at that skeleton, its clearly someone raised a skeletons and dressed him up to look like some kinda boss unit from action game. But skeletons aren't strong, they die in thousands every game. For comparison we can google out some H2/H3/H4 skeletons that look they were raised directly in battlefield and manages to pick up some generic shit sword and some armor if they were lucky.

This, oh so much this. That's what turned me off in 6 and will turn me off in 7, it seems.

bloodlover

Arcane
I wonder if the devs are aware that they are making another inevitable blunder. Perhaps this is Ubisofts way of getting rid of undesireables. Assign them to make a Heroes of Migh & Magic game and then axe them when it comes out shit (it always does).

Unfortunately the gamers and fans a.k.a the people that buy the game get fucked the most in the end. Though this is not new since we are talking about UBI so...

Also, not related to the topic, does anyone know why they gave up on the old world and went with Ashan for the games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom