Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are these fanfictions from the backers ?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I realized very early that characters with a different colored name were these "reach for his soul" NPCs, so I started ignoring them right after Gilded Vale. I didn't realize they were some backer fan-fiction shit, though.

If they are as laughable as OP, however, I guess I could find some entertainment out of this crap :lol:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
This makes me somewhat cautious for my Torment backer content entry.

I will make doubly sure it will meet, nay exceed, Codex standards.

You will know it when you read it.

2mg2m9s.jpg

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I don't know about the backers but I'd prefer if I was made into a normal NPC questgiver or a named bandit, not some special snowflake with stretched out stories. I mean telling people "remember that bandit that killed you on hard back there? It was me!" is much more satisfying than "Remember that textdump about misunderstood yellow vampire? I wrote this shit".

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The backer content is easily the worst part of PoE.

Luckily it's easy enough to ignore.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So anyway -

I don't think they were written by the backers. Probably outlined and then written by the real writers, or at least heavily heavily edited. The writing style is way too consistent for them to be straight off the word processors of the general public. Actually, they all sound like they were done by the same guy after you read a few.

Mazisky

Magister
The backer NPS texts can be easily modified cause they are located in the game folder.

Problem is that memorial text files can't be find anywhere? Where are located?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I think some of these stories are enjoyable. It's just way too much of it.

Pretty much. This is definitely the most hilarious drawback to a Kickstarted game I've yet seen though! :lol:

And to think I read like the first 10-15 before it dawned on me....

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's funny because I have seen like 3 actual god touched npc's that -weren't- backer beta narrative dumps.

However almost all the back beta's are like these robed / armored death / fire / spirit god touched npc's smoking pipes and acting all edgy and cool. I can just picture the lame retards that all tried to be unique designing their NPC's only to have a mod remove them by the end of next month.. :lol:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
People really paid 1000 kwabucks to write a fanfic that no one will ever read? Fucking idiots.

Well, they just joined the legions of thousands self-published fantasy (and non-fantasy) book authors.

I checked them all out until I realized/found out what they were, and skipped them from then on.

Last edited:

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Some of them feel really fanfictional, some of them adds a nice break from the ambiant gloom. I check those occasionnally.
As zombra said, it's likely they were heavily rewritten by someone at Obsidian.

Wulfstand

Prophet
There should be an option for disabling all backer made content. For this and all other Kickstarters.

The towns would be significantly more empty.

Unless you mean to just turn them into regular npcs.

I can't really say I've enjoyed most of that fluff, but then again it's ridiculously easy to just ignore the whole lot thanks to the golden tag attached to their names. I just wish there'd be more npcs with, you know, actually meaningful content/things to say.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Backer NPCs do not bother me, their stories are at least consistent with the in-game lore (I still ignore them since I have realised what they are, though).

Also they are killable.

But those fucking backer memorials full of out-of-place text and internet memes - I hate them. There should be an option to disable those.

Lesbian wizards staring down the patriarchy defiantly (2x), ignoring their "responsibilities" -- very fucking subtle, thank you very much. And I thought those NPCs might become significant, so I checked them all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thank god this game is selling well, which means OEI won't have to go back to Kickstarter and beg for shekels for the sequel.
They would be stupid to not use Kickstarter. Not for the whole game, but like Larian, they could use the funds to improve the game.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Thank god this game is selling well, which means OEI won't have to go back to Kickstarter and beg for shekels for the sequel.
They would be stupid to not use Kickstarter. Not for the whole game, but like Larian, they could use the funds to improve the game.

Is the money is necessarily there anymore? Maybe OEI would be an exception because they proved they were capable of delivering the goods, but I wonder if crowdfunding is quite the no-brainer that it might have been over a year ago?

Personally, I'd prefer it if they weren't beholden to include the kind of half-baked, fan made crap we got in this game; some of it is OK, but 90% of the backer content I've read is puerile, insipid trash.

Morkar Left

I don't actually mind the stories. They are optional. What annoys me is that the npcs are completely useless. You can't even talk to them and they just stand around without doing anything. They remind me more of a lot of advertising pillars. At least that's consistent with the name of the game.

Bah

Arcane
So much butthurt in this thread. What does it matter? A decent to good game got publically funded, and this was partly how it was accomplished. You guys need to relax and take a chill pill (or joint).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom