Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are these fanfictions from the backers ?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
w3b69ZP.jpg

What the fuck ? I promptly killed them afterward :smug:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
A few of them were an enjoyable read, but many of them are forgettable. It does add to the atmosphere as opposed to having faceless NPCs, and I would imagine that editing would be done on any fan fiction.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After reading the first three or so I just ignore them all. This shit is more boring than reading politics stuff on codex.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
These "Watcher vision" interludes remind me of the chicken robot on Aqua Teen Hunger Force who shows up repeatedly throughout the series and immediately launches into his speel: "THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO...", whereupon the mists of time swirl across the screen and there's yet another flashback.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I've just stopped trying to talk to people. Imagine what this guy looks like walking up to people, completely spacing out for a few seconds and then running away without saying anything.

randir14

Augur
I've just stopped trying to talk to people. Imagine what this guy looks like walking up to people, completely spacing out for a few seconds and then running away without saying anything.

If you hold the alt key and see gold nameplates, those are the backers so you know who to ignore.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I noticed some gold nameplates early on, but I didn't realize that was the significance.

almondblight

Arcane
There should be an option for disabling all backer made content. For this and all other Kickstarters.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Has anyone found the gravestone that says GAMEBANSHEE.COM and gives a call out to their readers?

Thanks for shoe horning the website URL into the game.. I wasn't trying to get immersed or anything.. If they gave money then shove them in the credits.. jeeze.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
I thought this was a stretch goal or something, like they got Patrick Rothfuss to write this shit? Guess I have a hard time telling the difference between cringey fan-fic and Pat Rothfuss. troll.jpg

Morkar Left

Has anyone found the gravestone that says GAMEBANSHEE.COM and gives a call out to their readers?

Thanks for shoe horning the website URL into the game.. I wasn't trying to get immersed or anything.. If they gave money then shove them in the credits.. jeeze.

That's pretty weak. Especially when you have BANSHEE in your name you could easily come up with something better instead of cheap advertising.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These characters kinda fucked up the beginning for me. I did not know about kickstarter / fan-stories, so I was confused. Why can I mind-meld with these people and why was all this pointless information being thrown at me?

Morkar Left

I hope some modders can fix the backer npcs and make them interesting (dialog, questgiver etc.). I wish there was pickpocketing in the game, than they were already a lot more useful.

Ninjerk

Arcane
These characters kinda fucked up the beginning for me. I did not know about kickstarter / fan-stories, so I was confused. Why can I mind-meld with these people and why was all this pointless information being thrown at me?
Same here. If at any point I was aware there were going to be backer-made content (outside of custom items) sprinkled throughout the game I had certainly forgotten by the time I got it.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I hope some modders can fix the backer npcs and make them interesting (dialog, questgiver etc.). I wish there was pickpocketing in the game, than they were already a lot more useful.

You can kill a bunch of them in the top floor of the Gilded Vale inn without pissing everyone off, for lots of good gear and cash to buy 5 adventurers right off the bat.

Ah so it's all bullshit. Thanks this will save me a lot of reading. +1 on optional backer content removal.

Morkar Left

You can kill a bunch of them in the top floor of the Gilded Vale inn without pissing everyone off, for lots of good gear and cash to buy 5 adventurers right off the bat.

I thought though. But I'm not killing people if there isn't an ingame reason. Are the fights challenging at least? Or just peasants slashing?

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I was going to ask the same question. Some of it is interesting. Seeing the souls of past or present lives. Then there is shoehorned shit like on the opening post. By the time I got to defiance bay I started stepping away from anyone that had a long ass wall of text waiting for me.

Which is a shame since many of them had interesting names. And for a time I thought they were hireable since there were so many of them standing around in the black hound.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Same here. The first time I met one I thought, "huh, that's weird. This must be an important character if I'm seeing his backstory, I bet it'll come up in a quest or something." Then I realized that characters like that are fucking everywhere and they're all boring.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Given how much these NPCs cost ($1,000? Jesus Christ! Really?!) at their respective backer levels I guess it was inevitable that the majority of people with more money than sense was probably going write some fanfic wankery, dreck.

Thank god this game is selling well, which means OEI won't have to go back to Kickstarter and beg for shekels for the sequel.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Given how much these NPCs cost ($1,000? Jesus Christ! Really?!) at their respective backer levels I guess it was inevitable that the majority of people with more money than sense was probably going write some fanfic wankery, dreck.

Thank god this game is selling well, which means OEI won't have to go back to Kickstarter and beg for shekels for the sequel.

I'm 90% sure they'll go to KS anyway, since it's easy money and can be justified by saying "you're backing to get more content!", just like Shadowrun: HK. Put in a few romance stretch goals and an extra companion or two, and they stand to make a cool mil for little effort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom