Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I see that you have to put up a fight on steam forums (yeah..) Raze. I can appreciate larian burning the midnight oil to get the windows version ready. That said it is a bit strange that the console version is apparently golden, while the pc version needs frantic last minute fixes. It may be an indication as to where priorities were placed and a sign as to what to expect in the future.

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
I know ConsoleSven loves his consoles

Right. Every other Divinity game was worked on up until release, with delays and features cut back, and then had post release patches. This time, though, Larian totally would have been done early if it wasn't for the console version?

That said it is a bit strange that the console version is apparently golden, while the pc version needs frantic last minute fixes.

I don't know what the last minute update was for, but even a minor issue would be worth fixing before release if it could be something that might hurt initial reviews, or just the initial experience in general.

Has anybody recieved their D:OS EE key from the kickstarter campaign of D:OS 2?

The reward management site should go live today before the game is released, and a Kickstarter update made with details on getting an EE Steam or GOG key.

Last edited:

butchy

Prospernaut
Are you saying the xbox and ps4 versions aren't ready? The xbox and ps4 players playing it right now are playing a game that isn't ready?

Aenra

butchy you are fast losing your few remaining supporters. Quit the edgy talk and comprehend the situation as is:

- Game sold well enough to exceed their expectations
- Said sales could still not amount to a capital adequate for them to finally create the "Big" RPG they dream of
- Having a previous publisher literally asking them for it, they thus went ahead and made console versions. More capital, free for us (PC players), more service; As concurrently with the re-porting an enhancing was made
- Zero disrespect towards original target audience (us again, the PC players), as can be seen from the new UIs, gameplay, mechanics, simultaneous releasing, etc (if Microsoft reneged and pre-released on its own, hardly Larian's blame)

Chill or get the fuck out. Seriously. There's criticising, and then there's bitching. Wrong site to do the latter.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Right. Every other Divinity game was worked on up until release, with delays and features cut back, and then had post release patches. This time, though, Larian totally would have been done early if it wasn't for the console version?

I don't know what the last minute update was for, but even a minor issue would be worth fixing before release if it could be something that might hurt initial reviews, or just the initial experience in general.

The reward management site should go live today before the game is released, and a Kickstarter update made with details on getting an EE Steam or GOG key.

Thanks for the clarifycations, Raze !

Do you know, if Larian touched up the hitboxes for the combat UI?

I distinctly remember getting very frustrated with clicking on enemies, and moving instead of attacking, because the hitboxes were too small or large, and the cursor couldn't accurately navigate through the terrain sometimes.

Can't count the number of times I've let out profane slurs, when I accidently missclicked something ;)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More console reviews are coming in.

8.5/10 http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/divinity-original-sin-enhanced-edition-review/

POSITIVES
So much freedom.
Full story co-op.
Deep, tactical and smart.

NEGATIVES
Maybe too much freedom.
Needs better quest tracking.
Can be extremely fiddly at first.

9/10 http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/divinity_original_sin_-_enhanced_edition

Conclusion

A splendid RPG that tests your skills and your brain, Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition is a challenging, sprawling, and enchanting title from the very start. Our only quibble is a complex UI that can sometimes get a little too busy, but it doesn't take away from the game's many strengths. Not only does it have an impressive combat system and interesting quests, it features a reactive world that you can truly leave your mark on. Add in a winning sense of humour, well thought-out gameplay systems, and a charming aesthetic, and you're left with an RPG that would be a sin to miss.

8/10 http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/10/27/divinity-original-sin-enhanced-edition-review/

What’s Good:
  • A huge and enthralling adventure.
  • Interesting and enjoyable combat system.
  • Fantastic musical score.
  • Attractive graphics.
What’s Bad:
  • Pace can feel slow.
  • Frame rate skips and pop-in.
  • Controls take some getting used to.
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition is an in-depth and thoughtful RPG that offers console gamers an experience normally reserved for PC gamers. It’s pace and mechanics may take some getting used to and there are a few mild technical issues, but for those willing to put the time and effort in there are countless hours of questing and combat here that should enthral any RPG fan.

9/10 http://www.psu.com/review/28475/Divinity--Original-Sin--Enchanced-Edition-PS4-Review

(Wow, they're using early Kickstarter screenshots!)

Intimidating, tough and thoroughly overwhelming, Divinity: Original Sin is no easy sell for those into a more modern RPG. Yet looking past that, you will find one of 2015’s deepest and most rewarding titles, full of wit, charm and deadly challenge, all within a world that is a joy to exist in.

Pros
  • Eccentric humour
  • Interesting, tough combat
  • Incredibly deep and flexible gameplay options
Cons
  • Too many menus for a controller to handle
  • Incredibly high difficulty curve
  • A lot of reading is required

Raze

Larian Studios
Developer
Are you saying the xbox and ps4 versions aren't ready?

So, your starting assumptions are:
- there can not be any PC or Windows specific problems (the keyboard and mouse UI, etc)
- if anything is worth fixing or changing with the Windows version, the console version must be horribly broken
- it is not common practice to work on games after they go gold, for a day 1 or post release patch
- it is not common practice to continue working on games if different platforms are finished at different times

Is that about right?
Are you equally critical of all games that have ever gotten patches? That makes them even less ready than games that are worked on right up until release.

Do you know, if Larian touched up the hitboxes for the combat UI?

I know that was looked at, but I'm not sure what was done.

(Wow, they're using early Kickstarter screenshots!)

Yes, there are occasionally reviewers that don't bother looking farther than the earliest press kit they have available, even if it has been updated multiple times.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Never understood why you guys bother with posting console or console-ported RPG reviews on a very strict PC-oriented RPG site. (That absolutely hate consoles and console-ported games)

Especially considering the fact, that most times, the console version and the PC version are QUITE different, in terms of UI, technical limitations etc and sometimes more.

Reading some of these console journos "cons" are things that most likely is not there in the PC version. Thus, can be disregarded for the PC audience.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think the console-hate is warranted in this particular case. Yes, the EE was mostly done for consoles, but we still get a better version *for free* and that doesn't necessarily mean that D:OS2 is going to suffer from consolitis.

The "cons" of these consoles reviews are mostly pros lolol.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As far as console receptions go, it looks like D:OS has thoroughly trounced Wasteland 2.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As far as console receptions go, it looks like D:OS has thoroughly trounced Wasteland 2.
Which is completely understandable since D:OS is much more user friendly from day 1. I don't think console users have created a whole party of characters ever in their lives :P

Elthosian

Arcane
Seems like it's out, at least for us at south america:

rO3MQiI.png

Unless that's just pre-download.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't argue with that. For me D:OS was the best RPG in the last 5 years or something, even if I like the setting of WL2 more

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They don't update the vanilla version, they give you a new game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom