Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's great how my presence isn't even necessary for Sawyer-chat to derail threads anymore.

pippin

It's great how my presence isn't even necessary for Sawyer-chat to derail threads anymore.

Your masterplan was successful then.

111302-Snow-White-evil-queen-laughing-cFPy_zpsp4l8otzx.gif

Fairfax

Arcane
See, this is why MCA left Obsidian. Even in his own appreciation thread, people talk way too much about Sawyer.
:lol::lol::lol:
At least if MCA makes his pet project and it's better than PoE (assuming it'll be similar), people will shit on Sawyer in his threads forever.

pippin

MCA: small guns and melee. Tasteful and manly choices.
Sawyer: big guns. Absolutely :popamole:

Lhynn

Arcane
Its not about sawyer, its about poe, and how its such a massive failure, tho i guess that does apply to him as well. And it was made by obsidian, which is where MCA worked 10 years, its kind of unavoidable to see the same names come up over and over again.
Roguey sawyer keeps being brought up as an example of incompetence in this thread.

Anyway, i did find interesting how Chris talked about what he thinks success is, tells me that obsidian is only focused on making money now, while he wants to work on less profitable, more interesting projects and jumped ship because this isnt going to happen at obs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, if you actually listen to the things Avellone has said about game design, he doesn't really sound that un-Sawyery. Supremacy of the system designer, lack of balance is the great destroyer, you name it. With his constant talk about emergent gameplay and his desire to move away from traditional dialogue menus, he doesn't sound like he has any plans on leading a KOTOR2-esque storyfag renaissance.

I'm pretty sure he just wants to be in a position where he can create a game that isn't tied down by the kind of constraints that Obsidian faces ("no, we don't have time to add more reactivity here, the game needs to be bigger and more polished").

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey sawyer keeps being brought up as an example of incompetence in this thread.

No I didn't. Chris was the Lead Designer on F3 and I was the Lead Technical Designer. After The Black Hound was canceled, I didn't want to be a full lead. I only became the Lead Designer on F3 after Chris left.

I would have to be the smoothest operator in the world to dupe multiple teams/companies into making me a lead designer in spite of apparent incompetence.

And it's been pretty obvious that you've hated me for about two+ years.

Drax

Arcane
Notch is bored and billionaire.

Isn't Notch a sub100 IQ dull fatass who stole a children's 3D lego game with zombies and sold to Facebook for billions of dollars? I doubt he understands what a cRPG is.

Oh, I wouldn't want him anywhere near development, but it'd be pretty easy to convince him that giving 20, 30 mill. (that means nothing against 2 bill.) to create an INNOVATIVE, VANGUARD, REVOLUTIONARY CULTURAL AND LITERARY PRODUCT would totally make every woman wet and get him laid.
Then we ship Melcar with 25 of his finest whores to wherever the douchebag is and let MCA and Tim do their stuff.

Lhynn

Arcane

No I didn't. Chris was the Lead Designer on F3 and I was the Lead Technical Designer. After The Black Hound was canceled, I didn't want to be a full lead. I only became the Lead Designer on F3 after Chris left.

I would have to be the smoothest operator in the world to dupe multiple teams/companies into making me a lead designer in spite of apparent incompetence.

And it's been pretty obvious that you've hated me for about two+ years.
Im talking about PoE and the direction he gave the game. It was a monumental failure and the reason he keeps being brought up here, beause MCA is related to poe, being responsible of the only good part in the game, and poe being led by sawyer.
Like it or not, sawyer has become the poster child of "how not to do an rpg" on the codex, so anything remotely related to cRPGs has people bringing him up, add to that the fact that him and MCA have been working together for a decade and it would be indeed bizarre if he wasnt namedropped every now and then.
As for implying i hate him? i dont hate people, i hate games, and i hated most of his contributions, even before knowing he had anything to do with them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It wasn't a failure financially, but as a game it was and that is what interests us. The problem here being that PoE2 is going to be the same piece of shit (because of the financial success) and this time they are going to make it without MCA's involvement. :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom