Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best games 95-2003

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I've realized that I can't play modern games for longer than 20-30 minutes. Something is just not there. They're shit, all of them.

I've realized I must go back. I am now going to play all games that I missed in that period of time. Please write your favorite games from 95-2003, so that a worthy list may be compiled. All genres are welcome. Please, do it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Blood, Operative: No one lives forever, AvP 2, No one lives forever 2, TRON 2.0, Anachronox, Rune, Severance: Blade of Darkness.

MasPingon

Arcane
Outcast(Infogrames), Grim Fandango, Half Life, Deus Ex, Gothic 2, Omikron, Desperados:Wanted dead or alive, Robin Hood: The legend os Sherwood. Oh man.

EverlastingLove

Learned
SWAT 3, X-Com Apocalypse, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, Hexen, Nox, and Severance: Blade of Darkness again because it is so awesome

so many great games from that period

Falksi

Arcane
Chrono Trigger
Deus Ex
X-Com
X-Com apocalypse
Worms
Tie Fighter
FF7
Curse of Monkey Island
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid
Morrowind
GTA: Vice City

Farewell into the night

Is this PC specific?

Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Baldur's gate 1 & 2(with expansion), Commandos 1-2 (plus Beyond the Call of Duty), Silent Storm, Heroes of Might and Magic 1-4 (2 and 3 is the best), Warcraft II (Warcraft II Battle.net Edition), Warcraft 3+Frozen Throne, Chrono Trigger, Magic and Mayhem, Starcraft, Diablo 1 and 2(plus expansion), Half-Life, Quake 1-2-3, Gothic 1 & 2 (with expansion), Age of Empires 1 & 2, Max Payne, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1&2, Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption, Hidden and Dangerous, Age of Wonders, Populous: A New Beginning, Fallout 1&2, The Sims 1(with expansions), Pokemon Play it v2, Thief 1 and 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Unreal Tournament, Freedom Fighters, GTA 3+Vice City, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, Tron 2.0, Dungeon Siege, Arcanum, Anachronox, The Longest Journey, Worms World Party, MDK 1&2, Tomb Raider 1&2&3&4, Jedi Knight: Outcast + Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic, Harry Potter 1-2, C&C: Red Alert 2(plus expansion), Metal Gear Solid 1, Desperados 1, Robin Hood: Legenda Sherwoord, Nethergate, Avernum 1-3.

These are the ones that first came to my mind. There are more, but I don't remember now. I like them all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not still mentioned:

Max Payne 2
Jagged Alliance 2
Duke Nukem 3D
XCOM Terror From The Deep
Aliens vs Predator (1999)
Wizardry 8
Operation Flashpoint (today called Arma: Cold War Assault)
Divine Divinity
Command & Conquer Red Alert
Command & Conquer 1 and Tiberian Sun
All the Commandos games except Strike Force
Freelancer
The Dig
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
Kingpin: Life of Crime
The Last Express
Mafia 1
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Shadow Warrior
Civilization 3
Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3
Complete Star Wars Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series
System Shock
Unreal

:shredder:

Last edited:

Farewell into the night

Not still mentioned:

Max Payne 1 and 2
Jagged Alliance 2
Duke Nukem 3D
XCOM Terror From The Deep
Aliens vs Predator (1999)
Wizardry 8
Operation Flashpoint (today called Arma: Cold War Assault)
Divine Divinity
Command & Conquer Red Alert
Command & Conquer 1 and Tiberian Sun
All the Commandos games except Strike Force
Freelancer
The Dig
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
Kingpin: Life of Crime
The Last Express
Mafia 1
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Shadow Warrior
Civilization 3
Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3
Complete Star Wars Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series
System Shock
Unreal

:shredder:
Hey, hey, I wrote Max Payne.

RolePlayer

Augur
Blizzard was really at their peak during this time (Blizzard North)

Games like Diablo 2, Starcraft Broodwar, Warcraft 3 (custom maps were free endless entertainment) and even the first release of World of Warcraft were some of the best online gaming experiences ever. These games still have a following today.

WoW "vanilla" on private servers
Diablo 2 & Warcraft 3 on old battle.net
and Starcraft Broodwar (free)

These games were the perfect combination of polish, hardcore game mechanics, and no monetization/mtx/P2W business model.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've realized I must go back. I am now going to play all games that I missed in that period of time. Please write your favorite games from 95-2003, so that a worthy list may be compiled. All genres are welcome. Please, do it.
Why start in 1995? You're missing out on a vast number of classic computer games, including many notable CRPGs (Rogue and Rogue-likes, Wizardry series, Ultima series, Might & Magic series, Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back, Pool of Radiance and other Gold Box games, Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, and many more).

schru

Arcane
Many of these have probably already been mentioned, but I'll just list what I liked, without omitting the obvious entries:

1995: Star Wars: Dark Forces, The Ultimate Doom (hey, it qualifies, they added an episode), Hexen: Beyond Heretic, Doom (PlayStation), Master Levels for Doom II

1996: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, Duke Nukem 3D, Civilization II, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (new episodes), Final Doom, Quake, Crash Bandicoot, Final Doom (PlayStation), Tomb Raider, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Diablo

1997: Quake Mission Pack No. 1: Scourge of Argamon, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Quake Mission Pack No. 2: Dissolution of Eternity, Command & Conquer: Red Alert – Counterstrike, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Hexen II, Crash Bandicoot: Cortex Strikes Back, Command & Conquer: Red Alert – The Aftermath, Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown, Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game, Grand Theft Auto, Blood: Plasma Pak (a new episode), Quake II

1998: Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66, Sanitarium, Unreal, Quake II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, Redneck Rampage Rides Again: Arkansas, Cryptic Passage for Blood, Shadow Warrior: Twin Dragon, Quake II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, Fallout 2: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game, MediEvil, SiN, Half-Life, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Serial Experiments Lain, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Baldur's Gate

1999: Silent Hill, Half-Life: Uplink, SiN: Wages of Sin, Kingpin: Life of Crime, System Shock 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Thief Gold, Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Medal of Honor, Half-Life: Opposing Force, The Longest Journey, Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue, Unreal Tournament, Quake III: Arena, Planescape: Torment

2000: Soldier of Fortune, Thief II: The Metal Age, MediEvil 2, Deus Ex, Icewind Dale, Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Medal of Honor: Underground, The Operative: No One Lives Forever

2001: Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, Max Payne, Silent Hill 2, Grant Theft Auto III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein

2002: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Operation Flashpoint: Red Hammer, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven, BloodRayne, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

2003: Postal 2, Silent Hill 3, Call of Duty, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Saya no uta

I suppose I still have a great deal of interesting games from that period left to play myself.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
Silent Hill series is probably the biggest under-achiever in recognition and sales relative to its quality. Play it.

Venser

Erudite
1995 Virtua Fighter 2
1996 Duke Nukem 3D
1996 Quake
1997 Fallout
1997 Quake II
1998 Pokemon Blue / Red
1998 Fallout 2
1998 Half-Life
1998 Starcraft
1999 Quake III Arena
1999 Unreal Tournament
1999 System Shock 2
2000 Deus Ex
2002 Silent Hill 2
2003 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Some of them have been already mentioned but here are my personal favorites. I'm sure I forgot some major games tho.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2
Unreal Tournament 99 with bots, this is some sick AI for mere bots, especially on Godlike.
Absolute golden age.
Hmm, not really. 2003 is the first year where decline in games' quality can be seen with naked eye.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Still no mention of Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri from 1996. Looking Glass's most overlooked and underappreciated first-person game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's a tall order. There's a shitton of great games in that time period. Absolute golden age.

Yeah I was born in '80 so you're talking about my total nostalgia golden age, on top of me believing it's genuinely a golden age for PC gaming. Just look at any list of classics (including ours) and you'll see tons from those years.

Also not all games today are shit, you're just not looking hard enough. There's literally something for everyone out there right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom