Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

purpleblob

Savant
How many companions are there in the game? I recall in the first trailer they said more than 10, but there is only 8 showing up in the trailer and 10 on the official group funding page.

Not sure if anyone already answered your question - there are 11 companions.

Linzi, Valerie, Jaethal, Harrim, Amiri, Regongar, Octavia, Tristian, Jubilost, Ekundayo, and Nok-Nok.

jf8350143

Liturgist
How many companions are there in the game? I recall in the first trailer they said more than 10, but there is only 8 showing up in the trailer and 10 on the official group funding page.

Not sure if anyone already answered your question - there are 11 companions.

Linzi, Valerie, Jaethal, Harrim, Amiri, Regongar, Octavia, Tristian, Jubilost, Ekundayo, and Nok-Nok.

I already know that, thanks for the help anyway.

For some reason they didn't list the vampire lady on their kick-starter page.

Thonius

Arcane
If you rush into the room with Gulnan, for example, you are likely to die horribly. But if you bait the mobs out one by one, it becomes relatively easy.
The 4 bounty hunters were supposed to be a hard fight, yet if you scouted properly, they dropped easily to 3 fireballs to the face while you were safely out of sight.
Such tactical genius. Attack mob out of their engagement range or luring them one by one because they have shitty AI. You must be Rommel of CRPG's, Napoleon of BG, Alexander the Great! Such a tactician!
Plus let's be honest you probably just used haste on one char to run around map, then memorized enemy location(save/load) and attacked them one by one.

Cael

Arcane
If you rush into the room with Gulnan, for example, you are likely to die horribly. But if you bait the mobs out one by one, it becomes relatively easy.
The 4 bounty hunters were supposed to be a hard fight, yet if you scouted properly, they dropped easily to 3 fireballs to the face while you were safely out of sight.
Such tactical genius. Attack mob out of their engagement range or luring them one by one because they have shitty AI. You must be Rommel of CRPG's, Napoleon of BG, Alexander the Great! Such a tactician!
Plus let's be honest you probably just used haste on one char to run around map, then memorized enemy location(save/load) and attacked them one by one.
They are things that even 2 year olds are capable of doing: flanking and sneak attacking. That you think they are exploits only serve to underline your complete lack of intelligence.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey if you like kiting mobs in a group out 1 by 1 more power to you but I think the point was to say that if you're unable to beat encounters as designed and have to resort to those tactics maybe giving others advice on how to do it is missing the point

Thonius

Arcane
They are things that even 2 year olds are capable of doing: flanking and sneak attacking. That you think they are exploits only serve to underline your complete lack of intelligence.
Yeah sneak attack with 3 fireballs. Yeah sure pally. Also keep up the charade that you can flank every encounter in bg2.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah sneak attack with 3 fireballs. Yeah sure pally. Also keep up the charade that you can flank every encounter in bg2.
Lol! Is that the best you can do? You went from trying to defend against the claim that BG combat is easy to saying that kids can't cast fireballs and therefore the notion of scouting and counter-ambush is somehow an exploit?

One can only hope that you never command any men in any way, shape or form:

Scout: Sir! We spotted an ambush ahead.
Thonius: Attack!
Scout: But, sir, we'd be massacred!
Thonius: Attack!
Scout: There is a way to ambush them!
Thonius: Stop suggesting exploits!

Now we all know how the Charge of the Light Brigade really happened.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You didn't prove anything with your non existing thread and non existing video proof.. wtf.. Post the fucking links already or STFU. You troll.

Is the thread just a figment of my crazed imagination? Or are you a crazy troll fanatic? Did you post in the thread? What is clear is my point was proven BEYOND DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you such a troll fanatic? What is causing this anger? You should put your faith in science, facts, and the truth instead of trolling, being crazy, and obviously wrong.
Wait you are talking about this topic?! :what::what::what:
OMFG, how do you manage to get out of bed in the morning you crazy batshit retard.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you got 3 wizards and fireballs to waste, sure fireball away. Wizards in DnD have same limitations like in PnP but their fireballs don't have 100+ meter range. So scouting and placing tactical ones is legit. Enemies run at you after first hit anyways. Using save/load to know enemy locations is not legit.
But using save/load to redo fights you lost and using this fireball tactic is legit.

Bocian

Arcane
A dev of Kingmaker gave a scathing review of grimoire
It wasn't a dev, but a half-retarded community manager. Besides, community managers usually aren't the sharpest knives in the company's drawer anyway.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
That was the guy posting reviews on Steam, right? Or i mixed it with Realms Beyond... Anyway, that looks like another witchhunt.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Wait you are talking about this topic?! :what::what::what:
OMFG, how do you manage to get out of bed in the morning you crazy batshit retard.

Still trolling like a maniacal fanatic troll incapable of accepting the truth? Yes.
Still too dumb not to see how claiming a game that literally has retard combat that was proven beyond doubt to have retard combat has super challenging combat makes you super extra retarded?

You should wax poetically about how advanced and challenging the combat of Clicker Heroes and Toon Town is.

Why do you refuse to accept I proved this point beyond any doubt. Most people prove it beyond reasonable doubt by just playing the game. I proved it publicly beyond doubt, and this has broken your puny retard mind.

Is one of your mother's duties always making sure you wear your helmet?

Roqua

Prospernaut
It wasn't a dev, but a half-retarded community manager. Besides, community managers usually aren't the sharpest knives in the company's drawer anyway.

Community managers are spokesmen for the game, right?

To me, if a developer (or spokesmen for a developer) of a game states a game is hostile to its players by having a normal and appropriate level of challenge, and goes out of their way to purposefully try to hurt the sales of a game for having a challenge - it means their game probably doesn't have one? Is that crazy reasoning? Games made with no challenge are made for a challenged audience. People that don't want their games to be game-like. The storyclown crowd, people who have a hard time with combat so easy even actual retarded people slightly smarter than ArchAngel have no issue with it and can figure out how to click on an enemy and watch their party destroy them all while they drool in boredom watching.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Community managers hardly make any executive decisions on the game gesign. I agree it's bad to try hurting Grimoire, but you know individuals have different opinions inside the same team even.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://techraptor.net/content/i-learned-a-lot-more-about-pathfinder-kingmaker-at-pax-west

I Learned a Lot More About Pathfinder: Kingmaker at PAX West

Pathfinder-Kingmaker-Party-Of-Four-902x507.jpg

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is just a few short weeks from release on the 25th, and I had the opportunity to get a comprehensive look at the game at PAX West. For those unaware, Pathfinder: Kingmaker is the first isometric RPG to bring the Pathfinder pen and paper RPG into a video game. It’s inspired by Baldur’s Gate and Fallout 1 and 2, and features a story based on the Kingmaker adventure path from Pathfinder.

Exploration
Exploration was something stressed to me when I was being shown some Pathfinder: Kingmaker. There’s a wide map with more than 200 areas to explore, and the developers want players to roam and check every nook and cranny they can find. There’s plenty to discover in sidequests, events, and more.

Companions
The game will have 11 companions that function in the ways you’d expect in an isometric RPG. They will react to your choices, comment on the current goings on, and more importantly continually weigh your character and party to see if they want to stick with you or not. Based on your choices, some characters may leave or go as far as betraying or attacking you.

The party is the focus of the game, and each companion will be totally unique from the other. You’ll get to use them for more than just dialogue options and combat, too. The first place you’ll see that is in the rest system. Instead of just a static screen where time passes, the party is healed, etc., resting in Pathfinder: Kingmaker is physically setting up camp. You’ll have the opportunity to give companions tasks like guarding the camp, camouflaging the camp, hunting, and more. These tasks change based on where you’re at too, as you’re more likely to run into enemies in a place like a dungeon, both when a companion is out hunting and on guard duty.

Governing a Kingdom

The other way to use companions comes in governing your kingdom. As this is “Kingmaker,” having and running a kingdom is a big part of the game. The best way to understand what all that entails comes from the game’s Steam description:

Your kingdom is a reflection of your character and your choices throughout the game. It is a living thing shaped by your alignment, your allies, and your ability to lead your people. Not only can your kingdom expand, opening up new territories and allowing you to build new towns and communities, but your capital city will physically change based on your decisions, your policies, and even whom you choose to ally with. As your kingdom grows, a number of factions and neighboring countries will come to you to seek favor—and to test your strength.

Your companions play a key role in governing, serving as advisors and the actual people you task with carrying out your wishes. They will become intimately involved in the politics of your kingdom’s affairs, so understanding and using them to the best of your abilities will be an important part of Kingmaker‘s gameplay. Choosing who to send out with certain Kingdom events will be just as important as who to use in combat.

Convenience Mechanics
There are quite a few mechanics made for convenience, too. My personal favorite is that before you leave an area, you’ll get the opportunity to see all the loot left behind or missed from enemies you killed. From there you’ll get to keep what you want, which will help ensure you don’t miss something great. There’s also a story mode difficulty, which makes combat significantly easier and allows you to focus more on story and narrative decisions.

Character Creation
Finally, I saw a bit of the robust character creation system. When it comes to adapting a pen and paper RPG, there is likely no more important system in the entire game. The developer promises that you’ll have plenty of customization options, from the look of the character, to attributes, skills, and more. Basically, expect the process of creating a character in the pen and paper Pathfinder made in video game form. Another cool feature is the ability to upload your own portrait of a character. Owlcat said they recognized a lot of pen and paper players like to get portraits of their characters done and they wanted to give people the opportunity to make it part of the game.

That about sums up what was went over and what I saw. The last thing always worth reminding everyone is that the story is being helmed by Chris Avellone, who is credited with writing and designing some of the best games of all time, particularly isometric RPGs like Planescape: Torment and Baldur’s Gate.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker releases September 25th on PC, Mac, and Linux.

https://www.rpgsite.net/preview/7712-pathfinder-kingmaker-hands-on-impressions

Pathfinder: Kingmaker hands-on impressions

Tabletop RPGs have always been imposing to me, at least from a distance. I’ve dabbled in Dungeons & Dragons before, but it’s hard not to be overwhelmed by the freedom of tabletop and retreat to the ironically comfy restrains of a videogame. Pathfinder: Kingmaker is interesting in that it’s trying to be as close to its tabletop namesake while still being somewhat more accessible to those of us more accustomed to videogames.

I’ve only admired the likes of Baulder’s Gate from afar, but it’s easy to see the influence Pathfinder: Kingmaker has taken from those old Bioware titles. The demo began several hours into the game with a full party being greeted by two warring goblin factions. I could assist either side, remain neutral, or take advantage of the situation and kill off both, so I chose the last option. There is an immense breadth of dialogue options and actions at your disposal. Typically, I chose the ‘good’ routes in RPGs, but just the fact that Pathfinder: Kingmaker gave me the option to be this villainous was enough to go through with the act.

Quickly into the demo that old feeling of being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of options and content hit me. There’s the world in Pathfinder: Kingmaker really is yours to tailor, and normally a game like this requires frequent visits to an online wiki. What’s great about this game though is it basically has its own in-game wiki. If you are stuck at all or need to research a mechanics or gameplay systems, there’s a menu in-game that lets you search up whatever you want. It may not sound like a big deal, but again for newcomers, it’s easy to feel lost in this kind of RPG. Having all information at your fingertips without having to open a web browser is a huge plus.

There’s some degree of micromanagement when it comes to combat in Pathfinder: Kingmaker even though it’s real-time. It’s best to pause and issue orders rather than rely entirely on the AI to fend for themselves. Depending on your character and their companion’s roles, it might take a little getting used to where everyone should be on the battlefield. For instance, one of my companions was able to detect and disarm traps, so I tried to have her lead the party and clear the path as I explored.

Something that makes Pathfinder: Kingmaker stand out is the city building aspect of the game. You will be able to take land and establish new settlements to expand the kingdom. Doing so will affect your reputation with NPCs and influence dialogue choices. Even just exactly where your buildings are placed may sway how some characters interact with you.

Character customization is very in-depth in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. If you’re the sort of person that likes to modify every aspect of your character’s personality, backstory, and looks then you won’t be disappointed with this game. There is character pre-sets for those looking to just jump in, but the customization goes to the point where you can even upload pictures from your desktop to represent your in-game avatar.

Admittedly there was a lot of information to take in during my short demo with Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but all the same, I walked away impressed. It’s a game made for die-hard tabletop enthusiasts and CRPG faithful but there’s enough care put into it that newcomers won’t be totally scared off. For me at least, there was enough to entice me and want to learn the various systems once the game comes out proper on September 25th.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/0...he-top-with-pathfinder-kingmaker-at-pax-west/

Working Our Way to the Top with Pathfinder: Kingmaker at PAX West

One of the games we were truly curious about going into PAX West was Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and how well the game could hold up to the series. We got a chance to sit down with a developer and experiment a little with the game and be shown the ropes of how it all worked. If you’re looking for a totally intricate system of designing your character, this is the game for you, as you’re given such a multitude of options that it makes us wonder how long you could spend going down that rabbit hole. Race, class, skills, domain, abilities, etc. Everything under the sun can be tweaked to perfection if you so desire.

credit//Deep Silver

The gameplay we got to watch though… takes a lot more time than you think. This is a series where you’ll be doing a lot of role-playing, which isn’t a bad thing, but it does feel like it takes about as long as your standard game of Pathfinder. We didn’t get too much into the combat, as we basically grazed by it in the session, but it looks alright for what it was worth. Pathfinder: Kingmaker looks impressive, but we need more hands-on time to make a final decision about it. Thankfully, we’ll get a shot later this month when it comes out on September 25th.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All of this game's previews are shallow and popamole af, even the one at PC Gamer. The big sites doesn't seem to be paying attention to it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've noticed that. This will most likely need to sell on word of mouth or it will likely do Deadfire numbers.

Tao

Savant
80€ with season pass, i doub it.

I dont think it's going to sell near as close as PoE2 and, as far as i know, Deadfire didnt sell too well.

I'm still thinking if i should buy it or wait until the definitive edition, like with PoE2

Edit: On the topic of buying it: Preorder exclusives, tiers and that crap are a big turn off for me to buy anything on release

Roqua

Prospernaut
All of this game's previews are shallow and popamole af, even the one at PC Gamer.

Could it be because the game could possibly be popamole as fuck? Do you believe the game was developed around a normal level of difficulty or a storymode level for challenged people like ArchAngel?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt you can expect some kind of challenge from this game. It looks as much infected with popamole as you can get while also being Pathfinder. I think it's obvious they are expecting the narrative to drive the sales, at least at first. We'll see after one year of patching, which is when you should be playing any kind of new game.

Mortmal

Arcane
All of this game's previews are shallow and popamole af, even the one at PC Gamer. The big sites doesn't seem to be paying attention to it.
Could be they are not a marketing monster like Bethesda or even obsidian , maybe not enough money for advertising so "professional" reviewers doesn't care. When you asked them for a bribe to get on codex frontpage did they comply without trouble , or were they reluctant ?
Damn, i hope this game is a little bit better than "pretty alright" cause we wont have anything else before a long long time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
In truth it's a problem that that many games that are perceived as low-rent clones suffer from. The gaming journalists think they're boring and unimportant. That means not only less pre-release coverage, but also a risk of getting edgier reviews post-release. Not even a marketing budget can always save you from that that - see Fallout: New Vegas.

Damn, i hope this game is a little bit better than "pretty alright" cause we wont have anything else before a long long time.

Hah, you picked the wrong month to say that: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...cline-2018-edition.119850/page-6#post-5779042

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
In truth it's a problem that games that are perceived as low-rent clones tend to suffer from. The gaming journalists think they're boring and unimportant. That means not only less pre-release coverage, but also a risk of getting edgier reviews post-release. Not even a marketing budget can always save you from that that - see Fallout: New Vegas.

Hah, you picked the wrong month to say that: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...cline-2018-edition.119850/page-6#post-5779042

If coverage is an issue no matter what and they are going to be perceived a certain way by game "journalists" wouldn't a good idea be to shore up the rpg-loving communities and make a game with good combat and a decent challenge instead of chasing the popamole storyclown audience only? Most of them won't even look at a game without AAA graphics anyways. It seems like a bad strategy having click and watch combat with no interaction and challenge considering what you are saying about the media and the hand "low-rent clones" are dealt.

Mortmal

Arcane
We get a few more rpgs indeed, although underworld ascendant is most likely terrible. But as for infinity engine like, it looks grim. PoE2 not selling a lot, if this one fail who will still make them ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom