Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
(2) The game is really unplayable after chapter 4 (although Shadenuat is probably in chapter 6 by now)
It is possible to get past chapter 4....still the game is a mess in it. You could miss and fuck up a lot of things.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Yeah I am kind of on the fence I would sort of like to play the game, but there is no doubt in my mind its so buggy its unplayable. On the other hands it will take them months to fix all these bugs. On the other other hand they seem to introduce as many new bugs as they fix with each update. They seem to have broken duelist precision strikes sometime in the last week and that would basically neuter your character if you went that way.

L'Montes

Educated
Check Discussions on Steam.

You have performed a Chaotic Evil action.

If you check the Global Gameplay Stats on Steam you can see that there is no achievement after chapter 4.

Which means we have 2 options:

(1) The achievements are broken after chapter 4

(2) The game is really unplayable after chapter 4 (although Shadenuat is probably in chapter 6 by now)

:negative:

Anecdotally, I've had a lot of issues with achievements popping in general. Like, they'll pop later after I quit the game instead of in the game while playing. I have no idea what's causing that.

Mortmal

Arcane
So I ask you: What's a few bugs in the face of such an awesome piece of gaming?

From what I read so far the game is so buggy that BT4 looks like the shining paragon for well-optimized and playtested games.
I won't play the game till at least a dozen patches are out despite me thinking that it looks and sounds awesome as an rpg.

No amount of patches can fix BT4.
The game is buggy mess,starting from chapter 4 it is unplayable! It is a lot buggier than BT4. I just "finished" the tristan quest,in the final battle the guardain of the bloom and some dude spawned and died to stone golems. I decided to try and save them,thinking that they are allies or something plot related,turned out that they are bug spawns that shouldn't be there and you can't interact with them. Also i can't level up casters because you don't have a spell list to chose from,thus not being able to finish the levelling. Soooo....yeah the game is mess at best,garbage if we have to be realistic. It will be great game once it is filled with DLCs and patches. Now it is not worth buying!

People that buy such unfinished games are the reason why we get such alphas!
He's right after chapter 4 state of the game is absolutely unacceptable. Also if you had trouble with the troll king , wait for amrag fight...I dont have the same spell list trouble but its fucked up as well as so many things, too long to list,its not my job to test this and write reports.

Shadenuat

Arcane
(1) The achievements are broken after chapter 4

I think I accidentally explored somewhere up to chapter 6-7 content
I am now busy with Pitax stuff though and their king.
the fucker stole my CHAIR
finished amazing area with forgotten fey castle (almost got raped but pulled through) and found another good one
97KzPGu.jpg
the funny thing is, the location entrance has a bug, but I managed to unbug it using Dimension Door.

and got raped.

RCRgV6P.jpg
66 ac.

but that is not the real problem, problem he is a defensive spellcaster with myriad of spells like confusion, acid fog and spell deflection, Harrim got his own disintegrate/destruction reflected onto him and got pufff together with part of his items

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Man, now I don't even want to level my wizard because of the weird spellbook bug.
I take it that it is not a bug only in my game then?! Oh well,i will start a nu game after all the DLC come out......unless i get the rash. Doubt that i will have the will to uninstal the game:negative:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well then, tomorrow is Insomnia: The ARK's day :)
It is another buggy mess,also too many fetch quests in another maps...it is annoying.

Fuck that shit,and we were thinking that Troika games were buggy. For all their bugs,the games were finishable and rarely there was a broken quest. The nu games are all beta trash. I dream of the day where i see a polished game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Man, now I don't even want to level my wizard because of the weird spellbook bug.
I take it that it is not a bug only in my game then?! Oh well,i will start a nu game after all the DLC come out......unless i get the rash. Doubt that i will have the will to uninstal the game:negative:

You should. There is a special present in Oleg's Tradepost for KS backers.

:troll:

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
What do I do after finishing the darven and hellknight quest? Just keep passing time in kingdom management?

Mortmal

Arcane
It is another buggy mess,also too many fetch quests in another maps...it is annoying.

Fuck that shit,and we were thinking that Troika games were buggy. For all their bugs,the games were finishable and rarely there was a broken quest. The nu games are all beta trash. I dream of the day where i see a polished game.
Troika games were polished and stable releases compare to the new stuff.. I am not even joking.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Fuck that shit,and we were thinking that Troika games were buggy. For all their bugs,the games were finishable and rarely there was a broken quest.
I wasn't able to finish Bloodlines and this with the lastest patch, had a bug where the NPCs would start flying at random, couldn't finish Fallout 1, game crashed to desktop before the Master fight, Fallout 2 had a bug where if you let your inventory get too full of stuff, you would corrupt your save and wouldn't be able able to finish the game. ToEE is still messy, after a ton of official and unofficial patches to this day. All those bugs with the latest patches.

You can't do some inclining without breaking some eggs, son. Do your duty and practice your zen breathing techniques.

Just wondering how often do you rest?

Like what is really stopping me from going out of the dungeon and resting each time then going back in?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Like what is really stopping me from going out of the dungeon and resting each time then going back in?
There's time limits on the main quests, after which you either lose or start losing stability fast. But it's not a hugely stringent time limit I think

Mortmal

Arcane

There's time limits on the main quests, after which you either lose or start losing stability fast. But it's not a hugely stringent time limit I think
There's hidden timer on some quests and almost got caught at chapter 4, had to skip one rest or the quest was failing.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The same thing that stopped you from resting endlessly to heal all your damage in Fallout. You’re on a timer. Really a series of timers. It’s the most elegant solution to the problem of rest spamming.

Troika games were polished and stable releases compare to the new stuff.. I am not even joking.

Nonsense. Bloodlines would crash every two minutes on release. Arcanum wouldn’t display for me until the first or second patch. These games were literally unplayable for many people when they came out—as in you couldn’t play them.

Kingmaker is unfinished and desperately needs polish, but I’m not hearing any complaints that it just doesn’t run or doesn’t display.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Nothing ... except the door.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

So after nearly 40 hours, here are some of my randomly put together ramblings.

-There's some bugs/glitches I've hit that really make me hope they get fixed soon. Right now it seems there are some broken scripts if you do a quest in the wrong order which totally fucks things up when it comes to completing them. There are other ones I've encountered like crashes and such, but nothing that completely kills my progress. Though I'm not in Chapter 4 so that likely could change.

-The writing is... surprising. When I first began I thought this would be way too "ideal high fantasy" where you're pretty much shoehorned into being a good guy that gets a few chances to be a cunt along the way. If this game does feel rather overly safe and relaxed or reads like a Paladin's power fantasy then I highly recommend sticking through it because you eventually start to get much more interesting narratives to frame your character with. While by no means perfect (and really, with the myriad of options one could think of in any given dialogue it's an impossible task to satisfy) the alignment choices when speaking to an NPC are quite cool. What begins as a rather by-the-books story becomes much more muddled as you go on once you acquire your barony especially. Even some of the "good" choices aren't necessarily good. It feels like they want you to kind of react in a way that paints you as having more grey to your actions. I've seen some Lawful Good actions that come off as Chaotic Evil such as wanting to purge all perceived villains like a kobold camp while at the same time, a Neutral Evil option may seem much more sensible. I like this because it lets you tackle, say, a Paladin as less of an infallible pillar of glory and heroism and take on more villainous tones at times. What seems good to one side, can be evil to another. It's all about perspective.

-One thing I think this game does right is how your character feels like your own. Simply put, not since the Renaissance RPG days have I felt this prolonged surge of fun and excitement while playing a CRPG. I've tried a lot of them in the past seven years and completed a fair share, but they all failed to have me care much about what I was doing. Maybe it's my love for AD&D 2e/3.5 that I grew up with, but that character creator made me stuck on the screen for at least two hours. This ties in with the dialogue above, but it's great that I actually want to see my character succeed and how he will play out both in the narrative and gameplay. Better yet, this also means replayability is high for this game since there are some classes and combinations I'm genuinely interested in trying for the first time.

-Another thing I quite enjoy and I will make it no secret: I love low level D&D. To me, low level D&D is when you feel every victory is earned and you have to be a bit more clever in your application. Better yet, I love when a more grounded campaign is present to go along with it. I couldn't get drawn into games like POE or D:OS2 because the story was simply this "chosen one, save the world" shit. In fact, I don't understand why so many people are all about it. Like in D:OS2 for instance, you can actually kill a big ice dragon in the very beginning island about three hours or so in on your first playthrough. What the Hell is that? I enjoy that Kingmaker frames your first major threat as a highly organized gang of bandits and cutthroats lead by some barbaric and ruthless motherfucker. You don't need to start a level 1 off telling them they're special and unique and will one day suplex C'thulu into the Statue of Liberty. All you need for a good hook is often something simple and to the point. Outside of some truly fucked random enemy encounters (likely due to me wandering into areas I shouldn't be near) I appreciate the gradual ascension through the monster manual. Every now and then you may face off against something truly daunting and challenging and will wreck your shit and that's good.

-So far Kingmaker is my favourite RPG of the year (tied with Kingdom Come Deliverance, actually) and it is easily my favourite of the "Kickstarter era" CRPGs. I could gush over it, but simply put this game "gets it." Maybe a lot of this has to do with blindly buying it since I actually didn't even bother keeping up with development and I thought at best this would be a merely decent but easily forgotten entry and at worse a Sword Coast Legends follow up. So being caught by surprise and thinking about this game during my work hours or down time when commuting around the city is something that very rarely happens to me these days.

The best compliment I can give this game is it feels like it's from another era. It's familiar but different. This is the sort of game that would have felt at home being released in a big square box and obscenely thick manual with probably four CDs to constantly switch between. What really keeps me in anticipation is the thought of where they could go from here. I'd love to see an IWD-style campaign emerge from this down the line.

This is the sort of RPG that makes you forget about microtransactions, loot boxes, dialogue wheels, tacked on features that serve as bloat than additions, and all other dogshit of modern game design. It's pretty good so far.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What do I do after finishing the darven and hellknight quest? Just keep passing time in kingdom management?
Ye, wait until Linzi gives you letter. You get months of free time and rest. I managed to level my Military to X and gain all 10 council members. You also want to claim far eastern lands.

what is really stopping me from going out of the dungeon and resting each time then going back in?
many dungeons lock entrances behind you.

For all their bugs,the games were finishable and rarely there was a broken quest. The nu games are all beta trash. I dream of the day where i see a polished game.
I actually yet to run into any game breaking bugs. There are some bugged quests and probably a lot of bugs I don't notice but I still follow the main plot.

Also, some of the things people claim to be bugs actually aren't. For example, tomb in Act IV is not supposed to show until you do some things, it is more of bad logic than bugs.

I feel like I might get destroyed though, since the key Chapter V crisis just hit me and I am getting shitton of DC30 cards which I might not be able to handle until I resolve it.

Last edited:

-

If you finish the troll fortress and kill the kobold shaman before going to the fjord and helping the gnomes tartucio/kobold shaman will come back to life to give one last scripted taunt even though he you killed him.

gestalt11

Arbiter

The same thing that stopped you from resting endlessly to heal all your damage in Fallout. You’re on a timer. Really a series of timers. It’s the most elegant solution to the problem of rest spamming.

Nonsense. Bloodlines would crash every two minutes on release. Arcanum wouldn’t display for me until the first or second patch. These games were literally unplayable for many people when they came out—as in you couldn’t play them.

Kingmaker is unfinished and desperately needs polish, but I’m not hearing any complaints that it just doesn’t run or doesn’t display.

No way I played both those games on release. I even have the disks for both still. This game is radically more buggy although perhaps more stable for some than VtMB which had real issues with using Source engine when it came out. I never had stability issues with VtMB and the various clans and features and quests mostly all worked. Same with Arcanum. In PK many classes are flat out broken in key features, I can name 4 different classes right off the top of my bug with major or even crippling bugs. There are multiple quests that either stop progress or in some cases completely fuck up your game. There have been multiple very bad interface issues. Certain encounters seem to be inherently just plain numerically wrong from a Pathfinder standpoint. That Owlbear encounter is clearly at least CR 16 (they have 18 BAB, an 18HD magical beast is at least CR13 and they have huge stat buffs) no matter what difficulty settings its on. Someone went through the difficulty code with a decompiler and the math in it is completely fucky where two factors mutlply together to cause a gigantic spike in both stats and their effects causing one change to add like 6 to stats instead of 2.

This game is currently in a Closed Beta stage and needs 2 months of hands on testing and bugfixing at the very least.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm actually so dumb. I just realized how to Prebuff before fight and now the game is actually so easy with cleric crusader.
first thing I do when entering a map is apply buffs
delay poison communal
heroism
bless
see invisibility communal

etc.,
my bard can keep haste up for half an hour inbetween rests now so I pretty much keep that up all the time too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom