Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

asterix

Educated
Huh, seems the reviews are finally appearing! I wonder what the consensus is?

Reviews said:
"Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a breath of fresh air in a fairly stale RPG landscape."

"This is as comfortingly paint-by-numbers as computer role-playing games get [...]"

"It takes some seriously bold risks [...]"

"[...]ultimately plays it too safe [...]"

"I also really enjoyed the ‘formations’ menu which allowed me to arrange the layout of my companions like I would in the pause menu of a FIFA game."

I see.

I actually really like that shit. Official Pathfinder art itself looks pretty terrible, but I do appreciate my murderhobos completely covered in weapons and quivers and bows and backpacks and bedrolls.

All the potions and scrolls you have equipped are also displayed on your character models. I like it too. In the first few days there'd been a lot of threads on Steam forums complaining about their fighters looking like backpackers. Someone might have started a petition to get backpacks removed. Dude had priorities.

load times on my SSD are actually a bit longer than those of PoE2 on the same SSD.

Can't even imagine the pain of having to play this game on an HDD.

I'm playing this on HDD and loading times are actually quicker than POE2. The only time I notice the lag is in-between kingdom screens. I'm playing on Windows booted up on Mac though, so maybe it's more borked up on the actual Windows machine. Haven't even come across any quest-breaking bugs yet either, 'cause I'm still muddling in chapter 2. Sometimes it pays off being slow af. :positive:

Codex Year of the Donut
HDD or SSD shouldn't impact load times too much, it's just bottlenecked on computations. Watch the resource usage of the process during loading screens, it barely does any disk reads at all. The only way it can be fixed is either they manage to multithread it(it's currently one using 1 thread to do all the loading work) or optimize it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Shout-out from the master himself:

Fuck me Gaider has nerve to complain about others writing, after all squeeing, retarded, adolescent shit hes spewed out.

And pot called kettle black he did.

Gaider said:
Also, it took me until I hit level 4 to realize I needed to manually go to the spell page in order to set memorized spells for casters who needed it. I kept wondering, "why doesn't my cleric ever get more spells?"
What in the everliving hells? Did he expect to just be assigned spells? I get that it's a bit of an issue that the game never tells you that you have to do this, and never tells you how to access the spellbook, but for fucks sake, Gaider, you had to do this in all the IE games. The fact that you point this out as a genuine flaw citing an example involving yourself, presumably a D&D and IE veteran, just reeks of bullshit. It means he's either functionally retarded, or trying to shit on the game by fabricating scenarios.

Also, shitty romance lines? Yeah, the game's got them, but I don't think Gaider of all people should criticize that. This is tantamount to tactically nuking a glass-house arcology.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
GOTTA GO FAST
clNFwHW.png

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It's not too shabby. You can do a fair chunk of kingdom management from the world map as long as your party is within your kingdom's boundaries. A little kingdom button shows up in the lower righthand side which if you click it it loading screens you into the kingdom management page and you can get shit done. As far as I can tell the only thing you can't do from that is the "Sit on a throne and listen to people" events. Still more loading screens than really feels necessary but at least you don't have to haul ass back to your city and load into your throne room to then load into kingdom management.
I know about this. You still need to load when adding stuff to a settlement and there is a load screen between the regular travel map and the kingdom map that you are going to hit coming and going.

Add to this the load when going to the throne room (which, again I know, is unavailable when traveling) and being forced to load the main square of your settlement every time you want to leave your throne room or go to the inn. Then another load to get back to the travel map.

[LOADING...]

hell bovine

Arcane
No way I played both those games on release. I even have the disks for both still. This game is radically more buggy although perhaps more stable for some than VtMB which had real issues with using Source engine when it came out. I never had stability issues with VtMB and the various clans and features and quests mostly all worked. Same with Arcanum.
Whether a game is more buggy for you than for others is a bit russian roulette.
VTMB (the final patched gog version) was such a crashfest for me that I managed to finish it only through the power of quicksave.

There is no doubt Pathfinder is in dire need of patches, but quest and character build bugs can at least be fixed; I don't know if there is anything that could have been done if it had the same stability issues as Bloodlines.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
WTF, on steam there are people who have already played 180 hours, how is that possible?
WTF, on steam there are people who have already played 180 hours, how is that possible?

Autism and gubbermint bux?
On a more serious note, it's entirely possible to just leave the game running for some reason or another.

Principally central heating judging by the amount of CPU overhead this game has

Mustawd

On a more serious note, it's entirely possible to just leave the game running for some reason or another.

Also, there are apps that let people
Idle their games while away in order to get trading cards. Which ofc can result in hundreds of hours of “gameplay”

They dropped the ball with romances though.
Imagine Linzi romance messing up the journal. Sidenotes in the questlog about dreamy <CHARNAME> and how she really wants your long thick human radish.
I'm just sayin'.
They also messed up the fact that you can't kill Linzi even when you have clear and present cause to do so. She's apparently "plot critical" and there's no way to get rid of her, which is frustrating, especially when they give you cause to act against her, so you can't just handwave it and pretend that she's just there, having not pissed you off, like any number of servants of the kingdom.

There's a situation during which she may steal from the Barony's treasury, and even if you're Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil or Chaotic Evil (all which could be fitting alignments for not overlooking such a thing), you can't do shit about it. Worst you can do is chew her out, which is absolute bullshit. You can't even exile her. That is kender-level stupid by the writers, and could easily have been avoided by not creating that situation to begin with.
this game really is like BG, she is imeon

Idle their games while away in order to get trading cards. Which ofc can result in hundreds of hours of “gameplay”
i just recently found out people will actually pay money for those cards steam gives you. I could not believe it, and have no idea why somebody would do that but I sold all my cards for like 9 dollars until it said I had sold so many I had to fill out some form (tax form? WTF?) and I still have like 150 cards left or something. What in the world do people do with them? They are digital.

Jinn

Arcane
i just recently found out people will actually pay money for those cards steam gives you. I could not believe it, and have no idea why somebody would do that but I sold all my cards for like 9 dollars until it said I had sold so many I had to fill out some form (tax form? WTF?) and I still have like 150 cards left or something. What in the world do people do with them? They are digital.

People are stupid as fuck and like increasing their "steam level" with badges that are created with assembled card sets. Just sit back and enjoy the free videogame money.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They dropped the ball with romances though.
Imagine Linzi romance messing up the journal. Sidenotes in the questlog about dreamy <CHARNAME> and how she really wants your long thick human radish.
I'm just sayin'.
They also messed up the fact that you can't kill Linzi even when you have clear and present cause to do so. She's apparently "plot critical" and there's no way to get rid of her, which is frustrating, especially when they give you cause to act against her, so you can't just handwave it and pretend that she's just there, having not pissed you off, like any number of servants of the kingdom.

There's a situation during which she may steal from the Barony's treasury, and even if you're Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil or Chaotic Evil (all which could be fitting alignments for not overlooking such a thing), you can't do shit about it. Worst you can do is chew her out, which is absolute bullshit. You can't even exile her. That is kender-level stupid by the writers, and could easily have been avoided by not creating that situation to begin with.
this game really is like BG, she is imeon
Bullshit. Imoen was eminently killable in BG. It was BG2 that went full retard. Also, BG1/2 did not give you a straight-up cassus belli against Imoen.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I don't know, but a friend of mine sold a DOTA2 cosmetic item recently for 1000$ so there's definitely crazy people out there

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've seen some Lawful Good actions that come off as Chaotic Evil such as wanting to purge all perceived villains like a kobold camp .[/spoiler]

:nocountryforshitposters:

Perceived? Their burrows is full of stolen loot and rotting bodies of travelers used as Spiders and bug food and they do shelter human bandits and men eating worgs if they and Mite are not evil I wonder what Evil Creatures are. But the Developers are some kind of Russian sjws it seems so aside from saddling player with not one but two stronk independent wombyn from the very start also think that allowing the Mitte Queen and Cobold Chief to steal, murder and rob outside of your barony borders is somehow Good action. They at-least know its chaotic. and did not gave me evil strike for purging them. Russian ''social justice''>western one it seems. Heck even your companions the Fedora Lady and and She hulk think you should either kill them yourself or let them kill each-other and Loli even not baiting an eye.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom