Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, though my understanding is that Water Shield is not really worse then an actual shield. Not sure about the details though.
its better, its 2 + half your class level.
I would go with that plus armor feats as a kineticist to make a better everything than knight kineticist. The advantage of the knight is that it comes online like 5 levels earlier.
With normal kineticist you also need to pay the feat tax in form of Point Blank Shot+Precise Shot. Isn't melee only for Kinetic Knight?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Did anyone try this mod, it seems interesting and fixes one of the problems we complained about in the game: https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/68
This mod adds a simple progression of rewards for increasing the ranks of your kingdom's Military, Stability, Divine and Arcane stats.

Military and Stability ranks grant basic magical weapons and armor, whereas Divine and Arcane grant their respective scrolls and wands.

For example, at rank 6 military you'll have access to +1, +2 and +3 weapons of (almost) every kind, as well as +1 corrosive weapons of almost every kind. At rank 6 stability, you'll have access to +3 armors and shields. At rank 6 arcane/divine, you'll have access to sixth level spell scrolls of that type, as well as third level wands.

The affected vendors are Verdel (your capital's smith) for weapons and armor, and Arsinoe/Jhod Kavken for scrolls and wands.

The idea behind the mod is to indirectly increase the viability of some underdeveloped character paths.

The Use Magic Device skill now has a real purpose, the Scroll Savant wizard archetype as well as the wizard class itself are significantly improved, the Magus wand-related arcana are now more relevant, Armor-wearing tanks are slightly better, and you won't ever specialize in a particular weapon type only to later find that almost none exist in the game.

Low tier scrolls and wands are abundant and higher level ones are exponentially more rare. You will, however, gain at least two copies of every spell in the game up to spell level 8, so long as you advance your Kingdom's studies enough.

Caveats: Not all weapons are available at all enchantment levels, and most wands start with fewer than 50 charges. This is in an effort to prevent any sort of save issues. As a result, you can freely add and remove this mod without worrying about anything - but the items already added to vendors will remain there until you buy them.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, though my understanding is that Water Shield is not really worse then an actual shield. Not sure about the details though.
I would go with that plus armor feats as a kineticist to make a better everything than knight kineticist. The advantage of the knight is that it comes online like 5 levels earlier.
With normal kineticist you also need to pay the feat tax in form of Point Blank Shot+Precise Shot. Isn't melee only for Kinetic Knight?

Nope, though standard Kineticist needs a few levels to absorb the burn cost and freely use the kinetic blade. But he can do this around level 5 I think, way before iterative attacks become a thing.
In Kingmaker the Knight is missing his best tool: the Whip. On the other hand the Devs made Blade Whirlwind exclusive to the Knight and that is a nice, spammable, fairly early aoe attack.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well seeing how going unarmored with a monk dip is the best defense in Kingmaker, I'd entirely skip the armor.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hmm not that happy with new companion Kineticist at lvl 6.
Water sister cannot heal without getting burn on her so that means she is very limited with how often she can heal. Probably not worth for 99% of the fights (and outside of fights it is never worth using). Her Grease like ability also always costs Burn if you want it to last longer than 1 round making it pretty bad. Her ranged attack is a physical attack so it is not a ranged touch and she does not hit as often as one wants. The water shield spell is pretty weak at low levels, does not replace a good shield but lets her have 2 free hands so she can keep using Gather Power. Her best ability so far is Torrent of Water that is basically a Lightning-like AoE attack that she can keep using every round with no burn cost.. Empowered. So 3d6+9*1.5, reflex for half.
Fire sister has a nice fire ranged touch attack but no defensive or cc options. Her fire attack does much less direct damage and she has a Burning Hands-like AoE version (so low AoE). Her version of Kineticist cannot easily exchange burn for bonuses to attack and damage.
Both got bad feats at lvl 5 instead of useful things like Weapon Focus (kinetic blast) or some other.
Together they are more useful as you can switch them at will and can mix the skills they max out (although both start with max Stealth and got low skill points per level). But you need to equip each of them separately.

As far as Kineticist class goes, Valerie as Kinetic Knight is so far the most useful and fun version.

Lhynn

Arcane
Water has an ice blast that is energy, meaning touch attack. You should use that when prompted to pick.

Water in general is amazing, but considering knight can use armor and shield the water armor/shield arent that useful, unless you pick a shield for the other magical effects disregarding the bonus to AC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well the companion already comes with picked non magical attack that does not do ranged touch attack.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, use water as a healbot and fire as your main dps, thats what i recommend.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, use water as a healbot and fire as your main dps, thats what i recommend.
You cannot use water as healbot, didn't you read what I wrote?! Using healing skill costs 1 burn every time. You cannot reduce it to 0 burn, just like you cannot reduce Slick that lasts longer than 1 round to 0 burn.

Lhynn

Arcane
Who gives a shit, she has 7+ good heals there. Its a lot of hp, plus she can take care of ability damage too.

Youll be using her sister for fighting anyway. She can recover burn after every fight, meaning ability spam. And she has some reliable dps.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Who gives a shit, she has 7+ good heals there. Its a lot of hp, plus she can take care of ability damage too.

Youll be using her sister for fighting anyway. She can recover burn after every fight, meaning ability spam. And she has some reliable dps.
Nah, I was planning to use only one of them with my Paladin MC. And her sister can only recover used up burn 3 times per rest.
And with Tristan in the party, I don't need another main healer. I was hoping she would be a secondary one but my paladin can be that. Trading her ability to be useful part of the party for some healing is not worth it. You get spammed with potions and scrolls anyways if you really need some extra healing.

Also how is a random water kineticist good when these abilities are limited, normal characters cannot be switched out for another full HP character once you use up all their abilities :D

Last edited:

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
S2gM1Gm.jpg

i kind of doubt it.

Incendax

Augur
The DLC character pisses me off mechanically. They swap when low on health, and you can’t get the other sister back until the next day. Fuck that. They have good Con AND non-lethal damage as a buffer, so they almost never die, but I’m stuck using the other sister for the rest of the day. I started beating up a sister each day to eliminate the swap.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Heh, Earth Kinetic Knight is a very nice tank. Lots of DR, bonus to AC from familiar and free trip with every hit.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, good for you. Out of curiosity, what is the CMB on those trips?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, good for you. Out of curiosity, what is the CMB on those trips?
at lvl 7 I got 5 bab+6 con +4 from two "free" trip feats. Then when you add bless, prayer, bard song it goes up. You can also enlarge that person but it is not worth it since you don't get Con bonus and you lose 1 attack that nullifies +1 bonus from size.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Heh, a new bug I found. When you spend burn to empower the shield that water sister uses and then switch her to fire sister and back to water sister, the burn is still there but the empowered shield is back to its base stats.

Hevnknekt

Educated
I don't have any games to play now, so I'm considering giving PK a try. Those companions are such a turn-off though, seems like they've been carefully designed by SJWs who want to cover all their bases. The only ones who seem potentially decent at first glance are Harrim, Jubilost, and Jaethal.

1) Is the game itself as shitty as the companion selection seems (in terms of PC storylines etc.)?
2) I read that you can roll your own companions. Is that possible from the get-go, or only later on?
3) Is playing with only 2 companions a viable challenge?

I couldn't stand most of the companions from DA:O either (basically only liked Dog, Sten, and Loghaine), but was still able to enjoy that game, so perhaps the same will go for PK.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I read that you can roll your own companions. Is that possible from the get-go, or only later on?
Not from the get-go but quite early. And it's better to hire them as early as possible because they become very expensive later on. First level hireling is 500 gold but second level one is 2000 (at least so it used to be).

Making a full custom party for 2500 gold is a great investment because story companions do suck. Their stats and class choices are predictably suboptimal and what's worse they're just a bunch of cardboard cutouts - I mean they're Player's Handbook example material down to stupid names like Amiri, Linzi and Harrim.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Making a full custom party for 2500 gold is a great investment because story companions do suck. Their stats and class choices are predictably suboptimal and what's worse they're just a bunch of cardboard cutouts - I mean they're Player's Handbook example material down to stupid names like Amiri, Linzi and Harrim.
What a weird thing to complain about. What names do you prefer? Edgy McEdgelord, Lord Harlfurton the 14th, Jingleberry Lopsicle, Bob, ... ?

And yes, their stats are suboptimal from a munchkin perspective, and probably rather impossible to do the hardest difficulty with, but nobody should do that anyway, given that normal already features ridiculous attack/defence bonuses on some enemies, forcing you into laughable buff-orgies.
The companions are ok stat-wise.
If someone really wanted to play on hardest difficulties, then maybe custom ones would be needed.

A bigger problem is IMO the low number of companions and that some are met rather late in the game. There's just not much variance. Your only good tank is Valerie - or you are a tank yourself. If you are not a tank and don't want Valerie around for RP reasons, you're fucked. In that case, you NEED a custom companion and should really get it ASAP as their prices increase ridiculously the higher your own level is.

Thane Solus

Arcane
i think you have to pay the ranger in the INN 2000 gold, and then you can recruit new people with 500 each, for lvl 1 or scaled to your level, for more money. The developers, really want you to play with their epic writted party of waymen and trannies. Its not SJW GAYS! Just like in Battletech main pilot wasn't a tranny... Keep giving money to these hacks, i am sure it will turn out well.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i think you have to pay the ranger in the INN 2000 gold, and then you can recruit new people with 500 each, for lvl 1 or scaled to your level, for more money. The developers, really want you to play with their epic writted party of waymen and trannies. Its not SJW GAYS! Just like in Battletech main pilot wasn't a tranny... Keep giving money to these hacks, i am sure it will turn out well.
I think if you tried really hard you could stuff even more lies in your post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom