Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

laclongquan

Arcane
For some reason I reinstalled Neverwinter Nights 2 and decided to go through the OC before going to MoTB so I could learn how to play a spellcaster this time instead of another fighter/red dragon disciple. I still absolutely love how must customization this game has, but man do I hate dealing with this engine.

Some dont like the Keep mechanics, but even so, you can at least sell/buy your stuffs to Keep's merchants at 100% price. It's like you can pawn your stuffs there to have money do something else, and if you change your mind you can buy them back with no loss.

Onionguy

Educated
Playing No One Lives Forever for the first time. Every time I play an older game like this, it feels like I'm coming up for fresh air from under the water. The controls are quick and responsive, there are no too long cutscenes, animations are not overdone. Feels good. Game is enjoyable, I like the 1970s Bond style and atmosphere.

I am also playing it for the first time, seems good and I love the theme and writing. I am right now in that Germany mission. One thing that annoys me is that stealth works only half the time, since AI is a bit oversensitive, or maybe I am doing something wrong. It is also obvious that the game was made with sneaking in mind. Shooting everything once an alarm goes off is not nearly as fun in Nolf.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Silent Hill 1

Love this game, people always say SH2 is the best but 1 is my favourite. The plot has so much depth and ambiguity as to what is really happening.

I tried Atom. I felt it was unrealistic your character wasnt raped or abducted once knocked out, especially as a woman. Rape and enslavement are two major concerns in lawless areas.

So it completely fails as an: "Average day in Russia" life simulator?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing No One Lives Forever for the first time. Every time I play an older game like this, it feels like I'm coming up for fresh air from under the water. The controls are quick and responsive, there are no too long cutscenes, animations are not overdone. Feels good. Game is enjoyable, I like the 1970s Bond style and atmosphere.

I am also playing it for the first time, seems good and I love the theme and writing. I am right now in that Germany mission. One thing that annoys me is that stealth works only half the time, since AI is a bit oversensitive, or maybe I am doing something wrong. It is also obvious that the game was made with sneaking in mind. Shooting everything once an alarm goes off is not nearly as fun in Nolf.
I have the exact same experience. Sometimes guards notice me from quite far during sneaking, or hear my footstep although I'm moving very carefully. I also don't like getting caught, so I savescum a lot if I mess up something.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I have completed Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield and Half-Life in the past 2 days.

On Raven Shield, I think it could have been excellent instead of just good if it had better AI both friendly and enemy and better level design. The game has some seriously abysmal missions in it, arguably any mission with hostages is shit due to how twitchy the AI is with shooting them but the three missions that stand out are Falcon Hour which showcases the worst in the AI, Shattered Glass which is an abysmal forced stealth mission that just isn't fun to play and Whisper Blade which showcases both the poor AI and the poor level design. If you decide to play RvS, consider skipping these missions by using the "completemission" cheat in console, you will enjoy the game far more. The team AI is also pretty wonky and has some really weird behaviours. It often fails at opening and clearing, especially if grenades are added to the mix where it has the tendency to flash other teammates and their speed at opening and moving into position is also very slow.
Oh, the game also has a tendency to crash on modern PCs every so often, usually when you go back into planning mode or when you finish the mission. Other than that, it runs fine. No graphical glitches and has native 1080p on the Steam version.

On Half-Life, it was pretty good but still pretty severely overrated. This was my first playthrough of the game ever and it took me 9 hours according to Steam counter. I don't have many issues with it, but I will say that enemies felt really bullet spongey. I played it on the hardest difficulty as per usual with pre-Y2K FPS since these games weren't designed with highly accurate modern mice in mind but the game still didn't feel particularly hard at the end of the day, just annoying more than anything. Human enemies could survive a point blank shotgun double shot and around 30 SMG shots and those flying fucks with projectile attacks in Xen took over 4 shotgun shots to kill.
The game kept resetting my FOV back to 90 from 120 every time I booted it up. I can't really play a game with movement as fast as it is (especially when I bunnyhop as often as I do) at 90 FOV. Had I played the game over a longer period instead of just 3 sessions, it would have been a lot more annoying.
I also encountered a bug in Lambda Core, where the water in the reactor didn't rise high enough to climb the ladder which confused me for a long while and forced me to load a save and redo the area again.

Onionguy

Educated
[/QUOTE]I have the exact same experience. Sometimes guards notice me from quite far during sneaking, or hear my footstep although I'm moving very carefully. I also don't like getting caught, so I savescum a lot if I mess up something.[/QUOTE]

I've tried ghosting, but I don't think it is a viable option. Pistol with silencer is probably the only way to go. In fact, most of the time when I got caught the blame was on me rather then game itself. The problem is that, unlike in Thief games where having enough skill allows you to remain undetected for the length of the whole level, here certain situation are borderline impossible. But then, I've read that later on you get ''super silent spy crossbow'' which makes things slightly more predictable.

Freddie

Savant

I have the exact same experience. Sometimes guards notice me from quite far during sneaking, or hear my footstep although I'm moving very carefully. I also don't like getting caught, so I savescum a lot if I mess up something.
Absolutely loved the game, but it is a bit tricky to get feel for the AI indeed. Sometimes it's good to use coin etc. equipment and gadgets and most importantly know when to go fast for knock out from behind for example, and when to be slow, when there is lot of things to use as cover for example.

Kaethar

Educated
Monster Hunter World, first time I'm playing a game from this series, really like it but I hope the end game isn't too grindy.

the_shadow

Arcane
Played a few games in the past month since I've had quite a bit of free time.

Might and Magic 8: DotD - Maybe it's because I've only recently played MoM 7 and am familiar with the game mechanics, but I really enjoyed this one. I'd read that it's unbalanced because you can recruit dragons (um, yeah), and have a priest of light and dark in the same party (yes again). But even though it is unbalanced in favour of the player... so what? It's still a very enjoyable game. :5/5:

Disciples 3: Renaissance - I tried to like this one since I'm a big fan of Disciples 1 and 2, but man they really messed up here. They tried to make it more like a HoMM game with a tactical battle map and strategy map buffs. The problem is that it becomes a very poor man's HoMM, while losing the charm of the early games. In Disciples 1 and 2 battles were over quickly, but in D3 they take ages due to HP bloat and having to navigate the tactical map. :2/5:

Tales of Maj' Eyal - I'm not new to this game, but I play it in bursts when I feel like a roguelike. I *finally* managed to defeat the Master, but never made it to the Far East because I took on the Crypt boss without realizing you should clear out the coffins first :negative:. ToME is always a :5/5: game.

Darkest Dungeon - Just started this one. I was warned away from it by several Codex veterans, which made me more intrigued. So far I'm... really enjoying it. I've read that certain character classes were horridly underpowered, but things have been balanced in the meantime. The entire concept of the game is pretty clever, using your hires as expendable flunkies to clean up your ancestors mistakes. It really makes you feel like douchebag when you lose an entire expedition or they crumble due to stress. :5/5: so far, although I haven't tackled Veteran dungeons yet so my ranking may change.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Played a few games in the past month since I've had quite a bit of free time.

Disciples 3: Renaissance - I tried to like this one since I'm a big fan of Disciples 1 and 2, but man they really messed up here. They tried to make it more like a HoMM game with a tactical battle map and strategy map buffs. The problem is that it becomes a very poor man's HoMM, while losing the charm of the early games. In Disciples 1 and 2 battles were over quickly, but in D3 they take ages due to HP bloat and having to navigate the tactical map. :2/5:

Version to play these days is apparently Disciples 3: Reincarnation which is base game + expansion and overall tweaked systems and structure.

So what changed

The most obvious change was in regards to movement across the maps. In D:SL and DII parties could travel anywhere on the map restricted only by mountains, this included the ability to travel over water (with the water bound party being represented by a boat) at a significant move penalty. In Renaissance / Resurrection this was not the case, movement was heavily restricted, parties were only allowed to travel along designated paths and at no point could they move across water. In Reincarnation this is completely reverted, parties are no longer restricted to a path and they can once again move across water. This change alone is a prime example of why these changes could not be simply pushed out as a patch because it fundamentally changes the flow and strategy of the game, and as such the maps were updated to accommodate these changes.

Something I forgot to mention regarding travel over water in D:SL and II is that various party leaders came with the ability "flying" which allowed them to negate movement penalties from moving over various terrains which allowed them to travel over water much faster than other units. The drawback of this was that they did not gain benefits of moving across advantageous terrain such as paths. The return to this travel format in Reincarnation has resulted in:
No flying heroes. Makes sense, since the heroes weren't changed from Ren/Res, and you can only embark on water at specific points. - (Azaghal)

The next change was in regards to combat. Anyone who has played D:SL or II knows that combat took place on a static 2x3 grid meaning parties were restricted to 6 units, 5 normal + 1 party leader. In Ren / Res, combat was changed to a hex grid system allowing for much greater freedom and tactical gameplay. Whether or not you liked it was a personal preference, but simply put it was just a different way of doing things. To accommodate the new combat set up various other things were changed, ranging from unit statistics, party sizes and character progression. The numerical values in Ren / Res were extremely inflated compared to older games, health values for example ranged into several thousand where in previous games they rarely surpassed a few hundred and that was only for very highly leveled units. The addition of combat runes, and a larger party size of 8 (7 normal units + 1 leader) means it's understandable why these values were chosen but the impact it had on the games was profound, often times making battles drag out longer than they really needed to. In Reincarnation various changes were made to combat to address this. Unit stats are toned down to modest values and the size of the combat arenas have been reduced meaning that combat now sits as a kind of middle ground between the old 2x6 static grid and the large hex arenas.

To fit with this party size has also been reduced, the maximum leadership nodes have been reduced to 2, meaning a party can have 5 (normal) + 1 (leader). A new mechanic has been added that allows a leader to hold units "in reserve", up to a maximum of 4, units that do not engage in combat but can be swapped out anywhere on the map

Character progression took a drastic change in moving from II to III, normal units evolved much the same, purchasing upgrade buildings at your capital allowed them to transform into an improved unit once they had gained enough experience. Party leaders however gained the stat distribution (5 points per level) and a final fantasy 12 style talent grid (2 points per level) that gave them access to addition stat boosts, addition skills or the coveted leadership abilities to increase party size. What changed in Reincarnation is that every unit now has a similar system, so that means every normal unit now has their own simplistic skill grid as well as stat distribution. They are still restricted by the old rules governing their evolution but the added flexibility in how you want to use these units can make a big difference, especially considering the more modest values. The various tiles that appear on these grids also have been updated, as mentioned before, leadership has been reduced, but other tiles such as "Reserve" have been added.

One thing I wasn't aware of so thanks for the replies: units now need to gain three levels before evolving. They gain levels faster, in return. What this means is that units don't receive as huge a spike in powers when evolving, but gain power more gradually -(Azaghal)

A very important feature that was removed from D:SL and II was the usefulness of thieves. These units were integral to the game due to their unique abilities such as stealing items from enemy parties or stores, poisoning enemy parties without engaging in combat, or to the guild leader "hero type", inciting riots in towns or stealing spells etc. In Ren / Res all of these abilities were removed rendering the thief as just another party leader, except it required you to build a capital upgrade before you could purchase them, in short, they were a complete waste of gold and stone. With the changes made to the talent grids in Reincarnation the thief takes a small step back to his former self, regaining the ability to poison parties on the overmap and the ability to steal items from enemy parties.

Other things that have changed, the overworld spells / runes have been adjusted to have more modest values, plus they appear to be much more in line with previous installments "thematically".
The spells in Ren / Res were rather homogeneous across the various races, not identical but not amazingly diverse.

"Energy" is now also required to use runes in combat, a system that was not present in any previous game. (I can not comment on the addition or changes made to the runes specifically since I have not checked at the time of writing this).
Energy limits the use of potions too , not just runes. The implication is that potions are much weaker for combat purposes. For instance, you usually won't have enough energy to use more than one revive potion per battle -(Azaghal)

Veteran heroes can be rehired for free from the start. You no longer have to wait until you have enough gold to recruit him/her, by which point that hero is underleveled and useless. This actually means that you can "main" a hired hero and let the unique hero tag along. -(Azaghal)

Moved from the unsure section where I had mentioned that ruins in D:SL and II were a hire risk, high reward encounter providing good items or resources upon victory. These were changed in Ren / Res to a low risk, low reward, repeatable every 10 turns affair severely limiting their overall worth.
Ruins are a mix of the D2 and Ren/Res system. Most are easy and repeatable with crappy rewards, but some are very hard and drop unique loot on first victory. Still, as noted above, you can peek at units in a ruin before engaging, which removes the risk/reward flavor from them - (Azaghal)

Other misc changes include a few new enemies, changes to items/ new items etc.

New voice actors for the intros, noteworthy because I know some people hated the old voice actors.

What has not changed.

The story. As I mentioned I haven't played the game extensively yet so it's possible that a few side quests have been updated / removed / added but for the most part the main over arching story is the same as Renaissance / Resurrection. To that end you are still expected to use the faction hero (Lambert etc) throughout the campaigns.

Player controlled units. Aside from stat values it appears that most (all?) upgrade trees are untouched. Aside from potential mercenary camps there's no new units to order around.

edit: Initiative functions as it did in Disciples III: Resurrection. For those unaware, the changes made to initiative between Renaissance and Resurrection were pretty unforgiving. In all games up to Renaissance initiative was pretty simple, units attacking in order from highest to lowest. In Resurrection, after every units turn the value of the lowest initiative unit alive in combat was subtracted from their initiative allowing high initiative units to potentially get multiple hits in per turn. It was pretty unintuitive and incredibly harsh, especially on base undead units since they are typically very slow. Once you understood the mechanic it wasn't so bad.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Currently playing Robin Hood The legend of Sherwood.
Really great game. Brings back memories.
Shame it gets incredibly repetitive. Quit my most recent playthrough around after halfway, because the knocking out got too tedious.
Can't disagree with this point. For me it's one of those games that i like to return occasionally, only to get a reminder later why i never finished it in the first place.

RapineDel

Augur
Played through Police Quest 1 through to 3 recently. Might play 4 down the track sometime but not expecting great things so it's on the back burner right now.

Police Quest 1 - I played the remake of 1 and I enjoyed how they managed to incorporate police procedure into an interesting story that starts to take off after you finish up some mundane traffic duty, however the driving is inexcusably bad, particular looking back on it after 2 & 3. Considering this was a remake it's hard to see how they managed to make it the worst for this out of the 3. Also the two poker games towards the end feel like filler and while you can skip them I don't feel they should've been included. Overall I think it's the weakest of the Walls trilogy though it has some good moments and builds up quite well.

Police Quest 2 - This game is a classic and is undoubtedly the best of the 3 and one of the better Sierra games I've played. It plays to the series real strengths which is an interesting cop story with minimal police procedure (I think it's just overdone to the point of boredom in 1 and 3). It also has hilarious game over screens, the story builds up to feeling almost like a cop movie from the 80s, all the way to the two terrorists on the plane with the bomb. This game just got the balance right and to top it off, they got rid of the tedious driving which really improved things. My main critisism would be the gun range parts of the game which are a bit of a pain having to constantly move the target, adjust the gun etc.

Police Quest 3 - It's a good game but it feels like a step back compared to 2, I got the feeling Walls wasn't the best designer and was far too interested in prioritising correct procedure over an interesting point and click adventure, the fun game over messages are gone and replaced with images of Walls telling you point blank that you've got it wrong, the driving is back and while not as tedious as in the remake of 1, it's still incredibly boring and an Overworld map with driving restricted to the freeway section would've been far better. The story is similar to in 1 where it picks up after some traffic duty and I did enjoy it although I think the mole could've been a bit less repetitive and had more to do with the story.

Overall this is a solid enough trilogy with PQ2 probably being a tier below the best Sierra titles like KQ6, GK1 etc. but they were good for what they are, now on to finish the SQ and QFG games I haven't played.

Dux

Arcane
HOCUS POCUS

Hocus my pocus. This is a harrowing and whimsical tale of betrayal, triumph, mind-shattering twists, spine-splintering turns and type 2 diabetes. Everything you would expect and more from an early 90's PC platformer. You star as the apprentice wizard boy wonder Hocus Pocus aka Üter from The Simpsons in his days before being bludgeoned by angry Civil War recreationists. You traverse 36 adequately detailed 2D levels of such wonder that would make your fucking head spin. Many obstacles lie in your path which you have to overcome in order to be declared Jedi Master and be granted a seat in the council. Eskimos, skeletons, baby Satans, spiders and much more will try to stop you but your innate 2d6 lightning bolts can easily lacerate and sear the flesh of these cretins. The point of the game is to gather a certain number of opaque crystals in each level in order to advance to the next stage. You also want to collect all of the precious gems and the Nazi gold. Sometimes you happen upon apathetic elder wizardly mentors who don't give a shit if you live or die. They drop hints and probably smell like medicine and urine. You also jump like on you're on the goddamn moon.

Basically the game is a stark metaphor of grabbing life by the pussy and never letting go.

EQeiysx.png

:4/5:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed the Dragon Slayer campaign from HoMM3: Armageddon's Blade.

A marked incline over the main campaign, and I liked how it used time limits and encouraged you to use under utilized skills and units. For example Golems are very useful in the Faerie Dragons scenario due to their very high magic resistance, and skills like Intelligence and Mysticism are very useful in the last scenario where there are no magic guild or magic wells. Checking out refugee camps weekly was actually a good idea in some of the maps to see if you could recruit anything that's faster than Dragons. Otherwise you lost initiative in nearly all big fights, and I found myself constantly choosing Defense instead of Attack from Arenas and Schools of War.

I made a big mistake in choosing Diplomacy for Dracon. In all the four scenarios I had two stacks joining, and they didn't even demand money so would probably have joined anyway.
You start with Pathfinding, Wisdom and Sorcery and I ended up with this character:
aRPSJhj.jpg

Of course, Earth Magic and Logistics is a must when aiming for as good score as possible, due to the increased mobility. I hoped to get Tactics, but that never happened. If replaying I think would choose Intelligence and Mysticism to make more of an Archmage character. Resistance would be quite useful against the Faerie Dragons, and Leadership would be more useful than Luck, since Enchanters are not Tower troops. Fire Magic would also be very useful with Expert Berserk. I never got Fly or Dimension Door in any of my magic guild, so I didn't miss Air Magic.
As for Diplomacy I could just as well have taken Eagle Eye...

Anyway, I wonder if Dracon is supposed to become the slayer of Mutare from the Dragon's Blood and Chash of Dragons campaigns? In CoD you don't kill her, but it's said she was killed later, and the end movie of the DS campaign definitely gave me the feeling that Dracon has some undefined unfinished business left.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Currently playing Robin Hood The legend of Sherwood.
Really great game. Brings back memories.
Shame it gets incredibly repetitive. Quit my most recent playthrough around after halfway, because the knocking out got too tedious.
I understand your point of view but you're not forced to knock out all the time, you can also kill. Another option would be to use Will Scarlet with his slingshot to KO enemies from a distance or Stutely with his nets which can immobilize 4-5 enemies or just send Little John in to fight and KO as he uses a staff which is non lethal.

This all speeds up the gameplay instead of coming from behind or using distractions and then knocking out the enemy, although that's my preferred way of doing things since I'm obsessed with stealth games and a ghost playstyle if possible.

And yes it is repetitive from this angle but then again, Desperados, Shadow Tactics and possibly Commandos (haven't played this series yet), Chicago 1930 are all like this because the gameplay loop is the same, instead of knocking out you kill, before or after using a distraction.

Machocruz

Arcane
Bought Dying Light during Steam winter sale. I played a "demo" of the game before, and liked the parkour/platforming and graphics were decent since I play mostly rogue-likes, simulation/sandbox, and old classics on PC these days. This game may go on the short list of AAA popamoles (redundant?) worth a damn. It's just fun to jump, climb, and fuck with zombies and fight the occasional living. There is some tension when night time comes due to patrols of special zombies (until you figure out that their sight range isn't that great and there are ways you can navigate the map to almost completely circumvent the patrols).

The death system is kind of aggravating. What happens is if you die you get sent to the last nearest safe spot with your equips/items in whatever state there were in when you died It's like a Demon's Souls thing, but your weapons degrade a lot faster and have a set number of repairs you can do to them, and consumable resources are far more scarce since they are based on crafting from random items in containers. A frustrating situation is having a story objective that has a crowd of zombies around it, using your last one or two crowd control items (because you didn't spend enough time scavenging, or spent a lot of time and got bad loot RNG), dying because you got put into a grab loop by the 4 new zombies that came around the corner, then respawning with no more of those items. There is no manual saving.

Overall though, Techland has found a very satisfying formula. I've seen videos of some later content, and there looks like some immersive-sim qualities in the game as well. Can't wait for the Avellone written sequel now.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
bit of a ramble because I've been up since yesterday morning tbh

Finishing up the mass effect trilogy again after playing it a few years back, ME3 is a lot better than I remember and ME2 is a lot worse. Hate me if you want, but I actually like ME3. By the time I finished the main story of 2 and was doing the DLC I just wanted it to be over because the combat was so mind numbing. Hide behind cover, wait until enemy pokes head out, shoot them, repeat. Hide behind one cover(on insanity) in ME3 for more than a few seconds and you get flanked, or get overrun by melee rushing you, or get cluster grenades thrown at you. Doing lots of damage involves correctly managing your squadmates to set up tech/biotic combo explosions. Have to actually use crowd control powers to avoid being overrun.

And despite ME3 having the best combat, it actually has the largest portions of noncombat sections. Another flaw of ME2 was the nonstop boring wave after wave combat full of enemies that acted exactly identical except they had different meshes & textures. ME3 I found myself revisiting citadel constantly, lots of NPCs to interact with various stories/missions to pick up, etc., After each mission you get a handful of emails to read, new intercepted shadow broker information to read, shops typically stock new items, new specter terminal information to read, often new people at the citadel to check for. Quite a few non-combat missions just to break up the gameplay loop as well. ME3 citadel feels alive like the ME1 citadel did(arguably moreso with all the NPCs interacting with each other,) ME2 citadel just felt wrong. ME2 is full of absolutely shit game design decisions from the bad minigames to stripping it of basically all RPG mechanics to a vehicle that blows up in 2 hits.

ME3 companions interact a lot more during missions than the previous two games and have more to say. It's also the first entry to actually hammer home the point that you can't save everyone. Honestly, the worst parts of it seems to be when it tries to resolve garbage from ME2. ME2's base story could almost entirely be stripped from the series plotwise and not much would change. Additionally, ME2 destroyed Liara's character by turning her into a completely different person, if I had to guess Liara became a pet character for one of the writers with how hard she's constantly pushed. ME2 was a fucking mess.

Both ME2 and ME3 have shit controls by default. I'm tired of playing games where you have one button that does everything depending on context because console players eat paste. What's that? You wanted to run towards the cover and get behind it? Okay, lets vault over it right into the line of sight of a bunch of snipers. And the only fucking way to fix this is to manually edit the game files to separate it.
But at least ME3's interface was designed to be used with a mouse and keyboard unlike ME2.

ME3 gets more hate than it deserves, it's actually pretty good. Pleasantly surprised after the let down that was ME2 because I remembered it being a lot better.

Prime Junta

The entire ME series is just overall bad, one huge missed opportunity after another. Mind-numbingly derivative and repetitive, and everything looks like a mall or a bombed-out parking garage. Apparently the entire galaxy only contains one typeface.

That said, ME3 is the least bad of the bunch, not counting the ending ofc. It has some downright great bits, the Tuchanka arc for example, that elevated the whole Krogan/Salarian thing to another level.

redsky

Novice
Playing Star traders : frontiers. Great game and best dev team i ever saw. i wish i have time for Vigilantes and This is the police 2.

Zenith

Arbiter
vbj29Bj.png

Continuing my Silent Hill replay.
SH2 has a functional PC port, but sound- and graphics-wise it has drawbacks compared to PS2 version. A lot of these have been fixed by fans, but some remain. Most notably, PS2 has low-res and hacky but nonetheless soft shadows, whereas PC only has Doom3-like aliased cutouts.
The port works, and hopefully - with fan efforts - in another decade it will be on par with the original. But for now the PS2 version is still better. With PS2 there's less choice in emulation, but it mostly works out of the box.
PC version, with fixes:
no soft shadows
different fog
some audio problems, including no post-process (reverb etc)
PCSX2, OpenGL/DirectX software:
original internal res only
excessive camera clipping distance (e.g. the very first cutscene)
PCSX2, OpenGL/DirectX hardware:
shadow res tied to render res, higher res = uglier shadows
occasional z-fighting (manhole covers at the start, decals on walls etc)
latest stable version has problems with FMVs, fixed in dev builds

In all versions the noise filter isn't designed to look good at resolutions above 480p. On PC the option to turn noise off is available right away, has to be unlocked on PS2.
Overall running PS2 version via PCSX2 OpenGL at 2x internal resolution seems to strike a good balance.

A note on controls. SH1 only had tank controls (with KB being the definite superior choice for those). In SH2 there's an option for directional controls, though for some stupid reason only the PC port has the option for analog walk/run switching. The game makes use of pressure-sensitive attack button. It's possible to bind a "half-press" to keyboard, but it's kinda finicky. The game is playable just fine without ever using light attacks, but it's a thing to keep in mind. Another thing is that on hard difficuty the boat section requires you to actually "row" like an idiot, instead of just pressing forward. Without two analog sticks I'm not sure this is even possible (at least on PS2 version, don't know about PC).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Deus Ex
I didn't play it last year, so might as well kick off 2019 right.
Here is a funny screenshot:
And here is all the shit I intend to play within the next few months that I have pre-installed on my PC. I'll chew through a couple of these in just a few days, I hope to clear half of this by the end of the month. I am already about half done with Deus Ex.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Steadily making my way through Jagged Alliance 2. Is there a mod that allows more savegame slots?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Done with Deus Ex. Chose the merge ending, which I haven't done before. It's good to have played it properly on realistic difficulty without mods. It reminded me of why I didn't like GMDX too much either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom