Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Viata

Arcane
The analogy with Wallmart/Tesco doesn't makes sense because you guys are ignoring drm. If you include it, then you have:
Whenever you buy something from Wallmart/Tesco, you can only try that thing on Wallmart/Tesco. So, if you want to drink that milk, you have to go inside Tesco and then drink it. Now, when you have many things from Wallmart, have to leave it and go to Tesco just to drink that milk is quite annoying.
Before someone says you are not really leaving your house because of launcher, do remember it's not my fault you guys decided to use stupid analogy.
Now, think about reviews. You are at Wallmart and decide to ask someone if that new milk brand you just saw is good, they are going to tell you what they think. That is good, because you don't know if it's worth to buy a new brand or not. Now you are at Tesco and decide to ask someone if the new milk brand is good, no one is going to tell you anything and you have to LEAVE tesco to have information about something that is selling at Tesco. This is quite stupid, imo.

RapineDel

Augur
so a 4A Games Developer has apparently responded to people with his thoughts, while it's unfair to say he speaks for the entire team, he comes across as a total moron and frankly I'm happy to ignore the studio if they go down the path he's talking about.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1780513643852520184/

"
Google Translate:

I watched the bubbling. Impressions are twofold. On the one hand, the withdrawal from the stim is ambiguous, so no one has done so sharply (as far as I can tell). This is new, which could cause rejection. Yes, and such a move pulls the need to install an epic launcher, which could cause some inconvenience to the players, and therefore cause discontent.

On the other hand, the reaction of a certain category of players (onli torrents and all that) is hardly adequate. It seems that people did not want to play, just waited for a reason to pour out their bile. That is, it turns out that we (the developers) for years have been hard and painful, with losses, trying to do something special, but a certain category of players believes that our work is not worth even a couple of minutes to install the launcher. Naturally, it is their life and their right, but then what do they care about the Metro? Obviously, it is not interesting to them. I can only say that they were not our players either, they are not interested in our work, which means that, for example, the opinion of such people is not interesting for me either. What is the point for me personally (and not only) to listen to their opinion?

But! Consider the situation deeper. Someone says that they say they crap Exodus and the previous games in the series, it will make the world better, they will put greedy developers in their place. To this I can answer that in a pinch, if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC. Better or worse, decide for yourself. I personally feel sorry for the loyal fans, yes. But my assessment of the work done personally by me and my friends and colleagues will not change this. I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about.

And further. Despite the fact that during the development I went through each level of each game, hell knows how many times, it is interesting for me to play Metro. I went through the previous parts completely and more than once, and now I am going to go through the whole PC version, to which we make the final touches. For me, this is already a tradition, I always re-pass the game completely before release. Allows you to evaluate the work done. What is it for me? I remember the words of the Prof, which I have heard more than once, both from myself and on the Internet - the game must be made for myself, so that you like it first. And only schA begin to understand this fully - no clever man can shake me about the value of the work that we have done. And there will always be disgruntled."

TLDR: If you don't care about our game enough to install a launcher, we don't like you. If our game sells poorly on PC (despite the shamble with Epic) maybe we'll move to console only from now on.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm losing track....
Why do people hate Walmart again?

It is supposed to be point about common company people don't give a shit about and has no fanboys.
If choice of buying Metro was between buying it from Wallmart rather than Tesco and you would say you won't buy it because you love Tesco people would look at you like a retard.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am more shocked that it even had 90% rating. 70-80% is what i could give it playing first game (though i dropped it 3/4)
That means 90% people who reviewed the game like it, not that the game's quality earned 90% rating.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC

... if he's that concerned with sales then why the fuck did they limit the number of platforms that the game's releasing on?

If that's the hill they choose to die on then so be it. These guys carry the legacy of GSC. They're Russian Ukraine, if there's any region knows that piracy can only beaten by service's quality then that would be them. What a god damn daft response from a developer who's supposed to know better.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, according to the dev the only people complaining wouldn't buy Metro in the first place and wasn't true fans... alright man. Keep digging.

That last statement. Haha, he can fuck right off.

passerby

Arcane
so a 4A Games Developer has apparently responded to people with his thoughts, while it's unfair to say he speaks for the entire team, he comes across as a total moron and frankly I'm happy to ignore the studio if they go down the path he's talking about.

[...] On the other hand, the reaction of a certain category of players (onli torrents and all that) is hardly adequate. It seems that people did not want to play, just waited for a reason to pour out their bile. That is, it turns out that we (the developers) for years have been hard and painful, with losses, trying to do something special, but a certain category of players believes that our work is not worth even a couple of minutes to install the launcher. Naturally, it is their life and their right, but then what do they care about the Metro? Obviously, it is not interesting to them. I can only say that they were not our players either, they are not interested in our work, which means that, for example, the opinion of such people is not interesting for me either. What is the point for me personally (and not only) to listen to their opinion? [...]

Actually he is spot on and you are the best example. Somehow the game is worth 50$ and 10h+ of your life, but a few minutes to create an account and install a launcher is a dealbreaker ? Nope, it's a dealbreaker only if you didn't care in the first place, GTFO.

You're all forgetting that it's the greedy 30% cut on Steam the reason we have to deal with all the launchers in the first place. If it was like 15% no publisher would bother with their own exclusive PC platform.
You seriously believe that what any digital store provides is worth half of what game dev/publisher gets ?

For me personally Metro games are in the 15$ for GOTY 2 years later category and while I'd prefer Steam, I'll buy on Epic if needed, if I'll be in the mood for it at some point.

passerby

Arcane
So, according to the dev the only people complaining wouldn't buy Metro in the first place and wasn't true fans... alright man. Keep digging.

That last statement. Haha, he can fuck right off.

Nope, he said people who claim they'll now pirate, instead of buying only because of Epic wouldn't buy anyway. The last statement... that was retarded and unnecessary, true.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC

... if he's that concerned with sales then why the fuck did they limit the number of platforms that the game's releasing on?
Obviously they were confident the majority of fans would buy the game nevertheless and they would even get more profit thanks to the lower cut. If the game was released both in steam and epic store, most people would choose the steam version anyway, meaning less profit than when the game is available through epic store only. But perhaps they were *too* confident about their game to make players go for it to epic store.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
If the cut was the reason, why the game is not being released on itch.io or discord?
:retarded: god I miss ratings already...

Of course because, these represent 1-2% of potential user base and are not established and reliable enough partners for an AAA publisher.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Actually he is spot on and you are the best example. Somehow the game is worth 50$ and 10h+ of your life, but a few minutes to create an account and install a launcher is a dealbreaker ? Nope, it's a dealbreaker only if you didn't care in the first place, GTFO.
Yeah, having to install a launcher must be why people are boycotting this.

I was mildly interested in this, but I'll pass for now. If it turns out good, I'll surely pick it up once it lands on GOG and I can get it DRM-free. It's nice to be able to choose.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron

You're all forgetting that it's the greedy 30% cut on Steam the reason we have to deal with all the launchers in the first place. If it was like 15% no publisher would bother with their own exclusive PC platform.
You seriously believe that what any digital store provides is worth half of what game dev/publisher gets ?

For me personally Metro games are in the 15$ for GOTY 2 years later category and while I'd prefer Steam, I'll buy on Epic if needed, if I'll be in the mood for it at some point.

Getting real tired of fuckwits like you undermining the issue with the same tired argument: "Durr all you have to do is install another launcher, takes like two minutes of your time, stop being entitled!"
Maybe people don't want to deal with the Epic Launcher because the company behind it is trying to force itself onto the market with predatory practices like coaxing publishers into an exclusivity deal through slightly better revenue cuts, which forces consumers who want to play said game to install a featureless piece of shit software that offers none of the advantages any of the alternatives have. Not to mention the fact it's hardly hidden knowledge at this point that Epic are shady as all fuck due to the backing they receive from Tencent.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey guise, nice gem here:
4A Games developer: If Metro Exodus does not sell on the PC, the next Metro will not come out for it
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/4a-g...t-metro-will-not-come-out-for-it/#more-122360
Last month, Deep Silver announced that Metro Exodus will be a timed-exclusive title on Epic’s digital store for the PC. Obviously, this frustrated a number of PC gamers – with some review bombing both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light on Steam – and on Gameru’s forum, a 4A Games developer has expressed his feelings toward this whole situation.

This 4A Games developer with the nickname “scynet” admitted that it was a sudden decision to announce the timed-exclusive deal with Epic Games only one month prior to the game’s release and that it could cause some inconvenience to players. Scynet also claimed that those that decide to pirate the game would have done so, regardless of this timed-exclusive deal, and those are not the players that the developers target.

However, the developer went one step further and stated that if all PC gamers boycott Metro Exodus then the next Metro game (if there is one mind you) will not come out on the PC. Now I’m pretty sure that the developer was exaggerating here but it begs the question; how many PC sales can guarantee the continuation of the Metro franchise on the PC?

Of course, this is the opinion of only one developer and not of the entire studio or the publisher, however it shows how nervous some of 4A Games’ developers actually are. And, to be honest, we all know that the publisher actually makes the final decision. If the publisher wants to release a game on the PC, the developers will either have to develop it or let another team handle that version.

Scynet also stated that 4A Games is currently putting the final touches to the PC version of Metro Exodus, which is currently scheduled for a February 15th release!

We are only true fans if we take on the ass, those guise love consumers so much... I actually recommend people to not buy this shit because dickheads like this don't deserve any money. The guy is so retarded, I liked Metro 2033 and Last Light, they aren't good games but I liked the setting, bought both but I will pirate the shit out of this. He thinking the Call of Duty clones he makes are enough for me to take Epic's bullshit and that I should be glad to take their half assed FPS games as a gift from God or otherwise he won't enlighten us PC gamers with his majesty is so fucking ludicrous.

What is next for Epic, have developers threatening to not release games on the PC if it isn't on the Epic Store? I'm loving such consumer friendly competition we are having here guise.

passerby

Arcane
Getting real tired of fuckwits like you undermining the issue with the same tired argument: "Durr all you have to do is install another launcher, takes like two minutes of your time, stop being entitled!"
Maybe people don't want to deal with the Epic Launcher because the company behind it is trying to force itself onto the market with predatory practices like coaxing publishers into an exclusivity deal through slightly better revenue cuts, which forces consumers who want to play said game to install a featureless piece of shit software that offers none of the advantages any of the alternatives have. Not to mention the fact it's hardly hidden knowledge at this point that Epic are shady as all fuck due to the backing they receive from Tencent.

My post was about gamers that claim, that it's justified to pirate a game, because publisher don't want to be ripped off by Steam.

And by the way, I wrote in this thread already, that instead of exlusivity better tactic would be to just sell on Steam at 18% higher price, it would be a bad PR for Steam and good for Epic, the opposite of what is happening now.

RapineDel

Augur

[...] On the other hand, the reaction of a certain category of players (onli torrents and all that) is hardly adequate. It seems that people did not want to play, just waited for a reason to pour out their bile. That is, it turns out that we (the developers) for years have been hard and painful, with losses, trying to do something special, but a certain category of players believes that our work is not worth even a couple of minutes to install the launcher. Naturally, it is their life and their right, but then what do they care about the Metro? Obviously, it is not interesting to them. I can only say that they were not our players either, they are not interested in our work, which means that, for example, the opinion of such people is not interesting for me either. What is the point for me personally (and not only) to listen to their opinion? [...]

You moron. I've been interested in this game ever since it looked like the closest thing to Stalker we'll likely ever get and so have a lot of others.

I couldn't give a toss about the launcher part, what I do care about is giving money to Epic. They've put Metro Exodus in a horrible place where if it succeeds, every third party publisher will be scrambling to put their games on their own launcher while if it fails, Deep Silver will probably go back to the dark days of PC gaming in the 2000s and blame "pirates".

If this greedy 30% is such an issue, why has it taken 10 years for anyone to try and compete? (GOG are going for a slightly different market and DRM free will never be accepted by the giant publishers so I don't include them).

If Epic really gave a toss about the developers they wouldn't have gone about it in this way, they would've ensured there platform was actually quality before throwing money around. Their misguided approach to this, was that they'd condition a bunch of people into eagerly awaiting the game before pulling the rug out from under them, knowing if they announced it was an exclusive at announcement (or months ago) people would've just skipped it.

Sure, there's going to be Steam fanboys out there, it's no different to Sony fanboys who won't touch anything not on the PlayStation but the majority of people aren't angry out of loyalty to Steam, they're angry due to how awful Epic Games are. The store sounded intriguing when first announced but in a matter of months they've ensured their store is the most despised platform in gaming and I can't see them turning it around. The great thing about access to pirating is it forces good service, something Epic lacks.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So one of the devs said that if "PC gamers boycott Metro Exodus then future Metro games won't come out on PC anymore". Perfectly okay with me. I'm not giving the chinks at Tencent my information or any money.

Fortnite might be hot shit right now and making a lot of money for Epi.....I mean Tencent. But no empire lasts forever and eventually something better will come along and Fortnite will eventually die. And there goes all Epic's money and devs with their exclusive Epic Store games will be fucked.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom