Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Angthoron

Arcane
Personally, "Anthem" reminds me more of "Monster Hunter," only with flying, guns, and more plot.

Wuuuuut?
MH is all about taking down these unique, big ass monsters using a variety of tools/weapons...they have their own AI, resistances, extensive movesets, etc, etc. There is huge depth and variety there, and it's very satisfying when you succeed.. making the "grind" feel worthwhile.
Anthem has...Ash Titans ( big and smaller versions), gorilla boss, Giant spider, and nothing else really. Look generic, play exactly the same, very simple to fight, have lame/cheap attacks to only prolong it ( summon swarms, fire wave, etc): fly + shoot, spam powers, rinse repeat...it's completely braindead/tedious.

The only similarity I can see is vibrant environments. Anything else... Yeah. We hunted an Anjanath for the first time evar with a friend today, that was quite a thing. Nothing I've seen about Anthem suggests anything even remotely similar.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All of these multiplayer shooter genres do tend to blend into one another after a while, don't they?

The dumb AAAs spend years cloning a particular variant of the formula, and by the time their game is out people have moved on to the next one.

Angthoron

Arcane
All of these multiplayer shooter genres do tend to blend into one another after a while, don't they?

The dumb AAAs spend years cloning a particular variant of the formula, and by the time their game is out people have moved on to the next one.
Yep. From what I gather, Anthem is basically EA's take on a UbiSoft game, more or less, except UbiSoft already did a better job with AC: O and possibly FCND. I was about to say I'm surprised it doesn't have survival elements or battle royale, but considering how long ago they started working on the project and how reportedly difficult it is to work with the engine, I actually am not surprised at all that they're essentially stuck with gaming trends that are about half a decade old.

Hellion

Arcane
52684442_1219566344865680_4538024370068520960_n.png

That was fast.

User was nabbed fit

Tried it today, and it's fucking bland. How did Bioware screw up even the story elements? Oh wait, they replaced all their staff with SJWs who couldn't write a good story even if they tried to plagiarise one.

Without even a good story to save this, it'll die a quick death. Meanwhile, EA will be like, "See, no one wants to play single player games anymore!".

Heretic

Cipher
The averadge Joe gave it a
4/10

A very thorough review, probably the best I've seen so far.

Someone wrote a summary:

Liked:
-flight, go wherever you want, best part, much praise
-spectacular, beautiful world, breathtaking at times,
-fauna and flora
-amount of details, impressive graphics
-fantastic facial animations (not of Tarsis' uninteractive npcs tho) with some issues at times
-moment to moment gameplay, great experience, addicting
-different styles of 4 javelins
-no other game that feels like anthem, unique
-attempt to give a story, points for trying

Disliked:
-loading screens
-no exciting loot, boring, avalanche of limited crap, same looking guns and abilities, same weapons over and over again,
-2 armors (3), one behind special edition
-no vinyls, no animations, javelin look the same entire game
-bad mission design for the whole game (repetitive objectives like echos, defend a point, pick up something)
-no memorable moments in the story, bad boring villain,
-no actual use of main theme "the anthem", wasted potential, instead of creative design (defying time or gravity, changing sceneries) relics just spawn enemies
-pain in the ass to play with friends
-annoying small tether between players
-lack of clarity in progression
-useless launchbay
-unacceptable that anthem didn't learn anything from games like destiny, destiny 2, warframe, division, borderlands 2, repeating mistakes, adding new mistakes
-tombs quest, destroying pacing
-bad interface
-poor enemies variance and AI
-game ends right when it starts getting interesting
-endgame: only 3 strongholds, 1st is the last story mission again, 2nd is the scars and scarr tank with shields, reusing assets, bare minimum (recycled) not good enough
-numerous audio glitches, crashes, errors,
-challenge of valor rewards (vinyls, low amount of crafting materials)
-95% of legendaries is useless or broken, everything is randomized
-crafting non existant, tied to faction loyalty
-no character stat sheet in stat based game,
-what was Bioware doing for such a long time

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
It is just not reasonable to expect good games from AAA companies in current year. They make games for share holders not gamers. The "game" needs to serve as a viable platform for "micro" (20 euros lol) transactions to haul in the whales and Chinese gamers, that is all. Profits need to triple each year, or else.

Possible and only exception, maybe CDPR.

Good games will come from indies and small studios. Mostly located in Eastern Europe, or so it seems.

Gerrard

Arcane
CuckUp cucks up, spreads false info about GGG case without checking facts, backpedals.

31JK6K5.png

>I was misled
>not that I did anything to actually check if I was being misled

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
faggot65ke5.png

Pointless carrying on i think, set fire to everything and brrrrrrrp it down with dual miniguns.

They've panic nerfed the drop rate as well like a typical scrub tier developer.

Gerrard

Arcane
^
CxKgsSF.png

PT277Ru.png

faggot65ke5.png

Pointless carrying on i think, set fire to everything and brrrrrrrp it down with dual miniguns.

They've panic nerfed the drop rate as well like a typical scrub tier developer.
Damn, how much did you play? I saw some people saying they already put in like 80+ hours, that's basically 10 hours per day.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is just not reasonable to expect good games from AAA companies in current year. They make games for share holders not gamers.

It's basically inevitable tho.

Problem is this - if you're someone like EA you have 2 option. You can make:
1. sprawling, story-focused single player games - each costs 100 million and nets you 300 million in lifetime sales, if it's reasonably successful
2. live service games that cost much less, are easier and faster to make (unless you're Bioware, wtf they were doing developing Anthem for nigh 7 years is beyond me) and they net you 300 million every fucking year

If you're a big publisher CEO and you go with the first model you probably don't stay a CEO for long. At your first board meeting everyone would ask if you're a corporate saboteur or just retarded.

As you said tho, who needs big Kwan publishers when you have amazing potato devs like CDPR, Warhorse or 4A.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What kind of idiot decided to remove this.
The slime that killed ME games and biowaste as a whole.

mass-effect-3-casey-hudson.jpg
Don't forget Mac Walters. Scribbled the me3 ending on a napkin and shoved it into the game. What a pro!
Don't insult napkin writings,one of the best literature is written on napkins. Mac Walters is far beneath napkins,most likely he saw a three colours of shit and decided this to be the ending. And to be honest here,the whole mass effect 3 was shit. I was super hyped for it,even was thinking of buying it while refreshing the torrent sites. Once i begun playing it,i was praying to end faster,it is colossal shit!
That is why i really hate those two faggots,the man behind the first two game was Drew Karpyshyn. Those two decided to lick some exect's ass and get rid of him so they could get all the laurels. I really hate such conniving pieces of shit like those two! I am really happy that he managed to fuck anthem that much,for fuck sake the game would have come out better without a biowaste director :).

DeepOcean

Arcane
One thing about the writing of this piece of garbage, it seems pretty similar to Mass Effect Andromeda from what I saw on the clips I watched on youtube, the writing suffers alot from the same shit. I noticed the writers seem to confuse character quirks with proper characterization, when I tried to play Andromeda and gave up of disgust, I remember a black guy that is a companion on there and the whole subject of an entire conversation was how that guy loved his couch, I was fucking bored out of my skull of listening to that crap, he didn't fucking shut up.

Many times dialogue devolved on characters trying to be witty all the time, I mean, ALL characters trying to be witty all the time and because many of those characters had no real personality, their witty comments and quirks felt random. Just a question, how fucking millions of people like their fucking couch on this shit planet? Why that is a fucking character "trait"? How that is fucking relevant? Are we going to watch characters taking a dump too or any other thousand meaningless shit on their lives?

Another big issue was fucking long dialogue scenes with characters talking about nothing or fighting about artificial problems, they fought over problems that didn't exist, they didn't fought over shit that was actually important and they talked shit that no fucking human or even probably aliens would say.

I mean, is that hard now to you know, do writing 101?
You make conflict:
Side A, Side B
Character A is from Side A, character B is from side B.
Why character is from side A?
Reason 1
Reason 2
Reason 3
Make most dialogue/character interaction involving reason 1, 2 and 3.
Have side A vs side B fight and player having to choose who wins to ramp up the drama.
I mean, Bioware were ever that great storytellers the media likes to paint them but we had a devolution from cookie cutter archetypes like "Mad doctor ethical issues." to fucking characters talking about how much they like their furniture. I guess that firing their oppressive cuck writers and replacing them with worse cucks and feminazis really paid off. It is go woke, go broke all over again.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
One thing about the writing of this piece of garbage, it seems pretty similar to Mass Effect Andromeda from what I saw on the clips I watched on youtube, the writing suffers alot from the same shit. I noticed the writers seem to confuse character quirks with proper characterization, when I tried to play Andromeda and gave up of disgust, I remember a black guy that is a companion on there and the whole subject of an entire conversation was how that guy loved his couch, I was fucking bored out of my skull of listening to that crap, he didn't fucking shut up.
That is because they invited anita sarkeesian to help them make those npcs,that is also the reason that there is almost no white dudes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom