Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Perhaps those are the last Couch-based gaming devices, doesn't mean they're not gonna work on Augmented Reality or Holographic-based gaming devices as the next big thing. Who knows?

Spec improvements will not halt during PS5 era, and aliasing fully dissapears only on 8k, after 8k the eye does not see a difference, so ps6 will be a 8k native console and will be the last one as we know it.

Sitting away a couple of meters from a TV makes the distinction from 4K to FullHD hard. But I see why hardware vendors gotta keep making money.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
convince people that PC gaming is the most expensive option

Technicaly they are right, you will buy a ps5 for 500$ and for next 7 years you don't have to upgrade, now build a PC in 2020 with PS5 specs and you will go way over 500$

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Technicaly they are right, you will buy a ps5 for 500$ and for next 7 years you don't have to upgrade, now build a PC in 2020 with PS5 specs and you will go way over 500$

No. They are wrong.

You will buy a PS5 for 500 $
For the next 7 years, if you want to be able to play online, you will pay a subscription fee. I'll generously say it's 60 $ per year. It is an incredibly basic feature that should be free anywhere, but is not on consoles.
In the end you have spent, 950 $ on a piece of equipment that is outdated. Without counting the games.

And THEN there is the price of the games, which is around 80€ in France for a new game, and only 10 less online. That is ridiculous. In the meantime, the various competing stores on PC, Humble Bundle, and let's not even mention piracy if you are fucking broke drove the PC games prices very low. And let's not even talk about the retrocompatibility or superior catalogue.

Console gaming is expensive as fuck.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Some people have been saying consoles are doomed for 10 years, just like others have said PC gaming is doomed. People love being chicken little and warning you massive change is coming soon, but change is a slow motherfucker that takes a lot of time. I'd guess Stadia and shit like it will take over eventually, but it's gonna take a while for a variety of reasons.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Yep and I regularly get good movies here for less than $5 off iTunes (even cheaper because I buy discounted iTunes cards). Sure new releases cost more ($20-25) but most things more than a couple of years old can be had dirt cheap if you wait for a sale. You can also download them to a HD/NAS if you're worried about the biggest company in the world shutting down anytime soon.

I mostly only buy what I love so it's not a huge deal for me to pay a little more for quality sometimes, and you can get discs super cheap too in the right sale. I'm getting Alien on 4k disc next week and it's $14.99, around $5 more than the iTunes stream. The quality difference is worth $5 to me, but if it's not to others that's their decision to make.
I'm also waiting for Alien. I was surprised to see it selling for so little. 20 dollars for a 4K disc isn't much, though. I think the 5 dollar bargain bins at Wallmart and Best Buy have skewed people's perceptions of how much a movie must cost.

sullynathan

Arcane
And THEN there is the price of the games, which is around 80€ in France for a new game, and only 10 less online. That is ridiculous. In the meantime, the various competing stores on PC, Humble Bundle, and let's not even mention piracy if you are fucking broke drove the PC games prices very low. And let's not even talk about the retrocompatibility or superior catalogue.
European prices. Games are $60 in America here. Physical media might be dead on pc but still exists on console. A quick Google search shows you how low you can buy games on consoles.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll believe the specs people are assuming when I see them. No way they launch over $500, and no way the sky-high shit people are thinking comes in under that.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
some developer on twitter leaking stuff

8x Zen2 cores is roughly 4x faster than 8x Jaguar. Roughly 2x IPC and roughly 2x clocks (conservative 3.2 GHz estimate). Also 8x faster for AVX workloads (Jag was 0.5 rate AVX, Zen2 is 2.0 rate) such as ISPC and Unity Burst.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Physical media might be dead on pc but still exists on console. A quick Google search shows you how low you can buy games on consoles

Yea on consoles you actualy own the game, because you plop in the disc and play, something which does not exist on PC anymore.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
X0erPfi.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yea on consoles you actualy own the game, because you plop in the disc and play, something which does not exist on PC anymore.

Unfortunately this is mostly irrelevant, due to not only the patch and DLC thing mentioned above, but also the fact the discs are coded to only work on certain hardware. At the end of the day every PC game ever made is out there "DRM free" as well, if needed, and doesn't require ancient hardware to function.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Hopefully said developers will give Sony a wide berth from now on, and move on to platforms that welcome them with open arms; so basically all of them except Playstation.
PS4 has only had one worthwhile exclusive for its entire lifespan, here's hoping that will be a nice, round zero in PS5's case.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War, Uncharted, Spiderman...possibly Days Gone soon.

They're worthwhile in the sense that they attract consumers yes. How much they matter will depend on the person though. Only Bloodborne really makes me wish for a PC version honestly.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All PS exclusives are one step above in quality compared to multiplatform games in general in one aspect or another.
There never was a 'crap' PS exclusive per se.

Doktor Best

Arcane

No. They are wrong.

You will buy a PS5 for 500 $
For the next 7 years, if you want to be able to play online, you will pay a subscription fee. I'll generously say it's 60 $ per year. It is an incredibly basic feature that should be free anywhere, but is not on consoles.
In the end you have spent, 950 $ on a piece of equipment that is outdated. Without counting the games.

Console gaming is expensive as fuck.

1) There are also digital stores on consoles with sales
2) you forgot to mention that those online subscriptions come with free games to play.
3) people who dont play extensively will maybe play 3-4 games a year, which means they still spend less money than on a gaming pc.
5) 80 bucks is only for absolute fringe cases. I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 on release day for 51€

I personally prefer pc simply because the console provides too little variety and lacks the games i enjoy the most, but neglecting the appeal of consoles by exaggerating cost points always seemed a bit dishonest to me.

sullynathan

Arcane
That's a very good point. This generation, the biggest games are free to play multiplayer games: Forknife, Apex legends, path of exile, etc.

Both PSN and Nintendo Switch online allow you to play these games online without paying the multiplayer price. If you are the average gamer that plays the most popular games, you don't need to constantly pay to play these games.

PSN Regularly has sales, all the time now and there are other online stores that do sell game download codes just like PC. It's not as much or as frequent, but it does exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom