Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do you guys not find the RTwP a hideous clusterfuck, or did you get used to't?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Real Fanboy
When is the definitive patch of this game coming out so I can do my conclusive run and be over with it? The PR guy said it was coming soon like, 3 weeks ago now?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/1...-42-beta/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-2154653

Aarik D (Community Manager) Patch will be coming next week!

Deadfire one year anniversary is on May 8th.

I know it won't happen but it would be soo cool if Katrina came back and did the anniversary video with Josh!

eXalted

Arcane
I will be playing this for the first time when that patch is released. Actually liked PoE1. Should I play Deadfire the way it is intended (RTwP) or turn-based?

It is no longer early 2000s where devs thought audiences wouldn't like turn-based mode and did weird real time games.
Which is not thanks to RPGs, of course. XCOM must be the main culprit why we have turn-based RPGs now.

Yosharian

Arcane
I would love to dive into this discussion and perhaps talk about how I think turn-based Deadfire is actually pretty neat

But I just started playing Factorio and now I've been playing it all day and I think this is my life now

Anyone got any ritalin

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Why does everyone treat RTwP like the way it's meant to be played when Josh Sawyer and other system designers have gone on record saying they prefer turn based?

They're basically admitting to people that RTwP was a mistake, and are trying to rectify it with an enhanced combat system that doesn't play like shit.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
It's not a band-aid when everything is being overhauled. Many systems were completely reworked from the ground up for turn based.

Games receive enhanced editions all the time that drastically modify the original. I'm not thinking of turn based as just another patch, but rather Pillars of Eternity II: Enhanced Edition (now without RTwP shit).

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Furthermore, there were at least a dozen major balancing patches before turn based launched. Version 4.0 is already a different game than it was on release.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They're basically admitting to people that RTwP was a mistake, and are trying to rectify it with an enhanced combat system that doesn't play like shit.
A couple of people decided to see what it would play like on a whim. Sawyer wasn't involved in the process, he had already fully checked out.

Jinn

Arcane
Having played a good 6-7 hours with turn-based on PotD, I can definitely say I prefer it to playing the RtwP, which I played for 60 hours prior. A number of people saying that it won't work because encounters weren't designed specifically for turn-based combat pretty clearly have not given it a try, because a lot of encounters have worked very well, if not better. The mechanics are easier to absorb and process, the actions you take feel more deliberate and meaningful, and you finally get to take in a lot of the cool animations for skills and magic.

It's a flawed turn-based system as it stands now, but still more fun to me than the RtwP, and I'm someone who can have fun with RtwP already. It just seems to support the systems much better than RtwP ever did.

Last edited:
The Real Fanboy

giphy.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom