Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That looks pretty good.

Venser

Erudite

Some Blade Runner ripoff, coming to kickstarter mid to late summer this year. Looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane

+ Easier to Setup and Use
+ Slightly higher resolution and better Optics
- No True Blacks due to no OLED
- Sound absolutely shit
- No hardware IPD
- Might have some tracking problems in very specific situations or games

tl;dr near the end is basically that despite the somewhat higher resolution and better optics it's worse than the OG Rift

Also lulz:

Venser

Erudite
In terms of display and clarity, Reverb seems to be the best VR headset by far.

Through the lenses shot:

twdSLdh.png

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Never heard of it but clarity is better. I would be worried about getting something other than the Rift though because of Valve's dominance. They will have some amazing games that will be Rift only, I assume. But I haven't got VR yet because I don't like the sound of seeing the edges of the screen, screendoor effecet, sickness, and no good VR games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I have never heard of that VR headset in the post before mine. But the person said it is clearer looking and I think the photo proves that to be true. So I said "clarity is better" because when it looks a bit low rez when it is so close to your eye, that is a bad thing. So clarity, is better.

I may buy it for that, but my point was, would you really buy a headset that is not backed by Valve? I would be worried about getting something other than the Rift though because of Valve's dominance. They will have some amazing games that will be Rift only, I assume. But I haven't got VR yet because I don't like the sound of seeing the edges of the screen, screendoor effecet, sickness, and no good VR games.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have never heard of that VR headset in the post before mine. But the person said it is clearer looking and I think the photo proves that to be true. So I said "clarity is better" because when it looks a bit low rez when it is so close to your eye, that is a bad thing. So clarity, is better.

I may buy it for that, but my point was, would you really buy a headset that is not backed by Valve? I would be worried about getting something other than the Rift though because of Valve's dominance. They will have some amazing games that will be Rift only, I assume. But I haven't got VR yet because I don't like the sound of seeing the edges of the screen, screendoor effecet, sickness, and no good VR games.

I imagine he's saying 'what?' because you appear to be be thinking that Valve own the Rift, which is completely bonkers. Valve partnered with HTC to launch the Vive, but now they're bringing out their own headset called the Index which is going to be eye-wateringly expensive. Facebook own Oculus and it's headsets, the latest of which is called the Rift S and is out later this month.

Regarding the Reverb, there's a plugin that makes all the Windows VR headsets work with Steam VR so you wouldn't have to worry on that score. From what I read, the Windows VR controllers are the worst things about the headsets but I have no experience with them myself.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Looks alright. Checked these devs channel, they've released a few VR titles already. Happy to see the market supports such a studio. Maybe VR isn't the new 3D TV after all.
Had fun with Budget Cuts last weekend, and this weekend I'll play that Sony game where you are a water spirit helping a mouse adventurer or something? I didn't see much gameplay, don't want to spoil it. I want more of these games, the current tech and devs seem to be good at them. The loosely narrative driven solo adventures.

Dexter

Arcane
Looks alright. Checked these devs channel, they've released a few VR titles already. Happy to see the market supports such a studio.
They also just announced a "Walking Dead" VR game licensed by AMC, although there's no Gameplay yet:

Had fun with Budget Cuts last weekend, and this weekend I'll play that Sony game where you are a water spirit helping a mouse adventurer or something? I didn't see much gameplay, don't want to spoil it.
Ghost Giant? Or do you mean Moss? That's not a SNOY game though.

vr-nogaemssikgp.jpg

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Reveb has been recalled

4m96qoylu6y21.jpg

(source: amazon)

Yeah, just read about this. It's a mura issue apparently, which also affected the Rift a bit. Basically some of the pixels can produce odd looking patterns due to variations in light and colour, really noticeable on blacks in particular. Massive fuckup from HP though to let it get to this stage, someone's going to get a boot up the arse.

Venser

Erudite
E1ukCXf.png

Finished Blood & Truth last night. The shooting and reloading mechanics are great and the game will make you feel like John Wick. Interaction with objects feels natural, as well as lockpicking, crawling through vents or hanging from monkey bars. Unfortunately there's no full locomotion and you can only move by picking predefined spots on the map and there is no backtracking. I often wished to explore some area in sight but the game didn't allow me. There's some freedom with choosing your own route and you can often strafe left and right. The running speed is way too slow, I imagine it's because some people get motion sick in VR. The game is pretty long and well paced with cutscenes and quieter moments to break the constant action. The story is meh, the dialogue is fine and well acted and I was invested in the characters. At some points during the stealth missions the game didn't let me progress unless I killed guards even tho I could've easily sneak past them. The enemy AI is really dumb too, they don't react when you take out their friends that are standing like 2 meters away with a silencer. Actually they don't really seem to react to noise either. The devs could've done some cool things like let us throw objects to distract enemies which would work great with move controllers. After beating the game all missions unlock so you can easily replay the ones you liked or showcase them to friends. There are also some challenges you can play through and the devs already said they will be adding more as well as the new game plus difficulty.

8/10

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom