Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Gott Strafe England: Let's play Steam And Iron

What version of the North Sea Campaign shall I play

• I want the real war! (1914-1918)

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • I want to get wrecked by the RN! (1916-1917)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I like halfway measures! (1916-1918)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let rock and roll from Starboard to Port! (Arena of Steel)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Andnjord

Arcane
THE THIRD BATTLE OF DOGGER BANK
(Part ONE)

SMS_Konig_illustration.jpg

Admiralty's Hospital

11403.jpg
Urgh.......

15522.jpg
Tell me Dayyalu, how bad is it?

15322.jpg
Grosseadmiral, I'm afraid it's really bad...

O5taNLY.png
Tell me more :bounce:

15322.jpg
A shell splinter hit his groin, mangling everything on the way...We amputated what was left, but the infection had already spread too far...I'm afraid there nothing left for medicine to do...

O5taNLY.png
:smug: Excellent.

17185.jpg
The smell, it's *bleeeurgh* too much.

O5taNLY.png
Get out you, you're ruining my moment of triumph!

15522.jpg
Her Varhan-Murza, I think it would be better if you left us. This is not a place for foreign observer.

17185.jpg
Why did you have to place that hospital on a ship, *hoc* goddamn sailors…

22873.jpg
If I may, I would like to perform the last rites for this brave soul.

15522.jpg
Kapetan Baud, please go ahead.

22873.jpg
Blue, green, grey, white or black; smooth ruffled or mountainous, that ocean of the soul is not silent.

22873.jpg
The soul is more ancient that the mountain, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of time.

22873.jpg
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may lie. Ft’aghn.

15522.jpg
That was…refreshing my dear Baud…

O5taNLY.png
Too good for that punk *spit*

15322.jpg
Sire, he is trying to speak!

15522.jpg
What is it Herr Zool, tell us!

O5taNLY.png
Yes, tell me where your bonaz is?

11403.jpg
Urrrk….give…me….

O5taNLY.png
What do you want, powah? Hookers? Coke?

11403.jpg
the….key….aaargh…..*croak*:deadtroll:

O5taNLY.png
Farking useless!

15522.jpg
Kalin, I you’ll do me the favour to behave with a little more…dignity. After allowing the British fleet to escape last week you’d do better to lie low.

O5taNLY.png
My fault? It was getting dark, we was running out of fuel!

15522.jpg
Spare me your excuses, just make sure it doesn’t happen again. Or you might lose more that your bonus…

O5taNLY.png
Some day, I’ll get you too…

yYW8gbE.png

FASbtap.png
i6Z2aLY.png

NspyZfL.png

Yeah, on the 19th of march we brushed past the whole of the British Fleet and somehow missed each other twice. Totally was Kalin’s fault and not mine, totally. Good news though, we’re only outnumbered by four Dreadnoughts types (BCs included) at this point. In total we have sunk five BCs and two BBs, if we hadn’t we’d be outnumbered by 11. Next fight we can probably push a lot more than we previously did. The Brits keep on getting reinforcements, but our Konig-class are just about finished and ready for battle.

14/05/1915

For our next sortie we have all the Konig-class BBs out, bringing us to a total of
17BBs, 4 BCs, 15 CLs and about 60+ DDs.

Since no one claimed one of the new ship I’ve reassigned you as follows:
-Dayyalu stays on the Konig-Albert which has become the Grosseadmiral flagship
-Azira will lead his squadron from the SMS Konig joined by Baud (simply because he’s gotten the least amount of screen-time so far.
-Comte will be on-board the SMS Kronprinz
Those are our best ships, use them well!

Aboard SMS Konig Albert, 14/05/1915, 8:20

15522.jpg
…so you see Kapetan, if our spies are correct we have a real chance of winning in a straight up fight!

15322.jpg
Maybe you’re right…maybe we can take them on…maybe we have a chance of winning this war…Oh, who am I kidding, we’re doomed, fottuti, tutti fottuti!

17185.jpg
Morning gentlemen! What a delightful and refreshing morning breeze! Not a cloud in the sky, no sir!

15322.jpg
Morning Herr Varza…

15522.jpg
Something’s not right…

15322.jpg
I’ve got it, how come you’re not puking your entrails all over the deck?

17185.jpg
kwells-kids-anti-motion-sickness-pills.jpg
:D

15322.jpg
Fascinating, where did you get such…

:xSHIP SIGHTED ON STARBOARD! !

kDa2rqX.png

CVEqeLi.png

15522.jpg
Full speed ahead, I want them dead, I want their families dead and I want their goldfishes dead!

17185.jpg
Woah dude, their pets too? That’s becoming a bit extreme, getting personal now?

15322.jpg
Signore, we are separated from the BSC, we’d be rushing in blind…

15522.jpg
Where is Kalin anyways, his job is to scout ahead for us! KALIN GIVE ME BACK MY BATTLE-CRUISERS!

SMS Konig

2337.jpg
General chase? We’re running after a bunch of battle-cruisers with the High Fleet while our scouts are out of position? Totally gonna end well, I’m sure.

22873.jpg
Will the hunter become the prey? So predictable…

2337.jpg
Geez, you’re a fun one, aren’t you? Pah, pass me a drink, will you?

22873.jpg
My ship is dry, admiral Azira.

2337.jpg
…your…ship…is….dry?

22873.jpg
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, I do not wish to deprive my crew of its experience through the false bliss of alchohol.

2337.jpg
This is gonna be a long day….

22873.jpg
Could I interest you in some sermons from our lord and saviour Cthullu instead?

oS2pAjt.png

EAbhbDY.png

z8VGwNC.png

BCS, 30 nautical miles west of the action

O5taNLY.png
Fuuuuuuck fasta, FASTA! Boss-guy is gonna be sooooo pissed!

17257.jpg
Reiteration with added smugness: it was always unlikely that that merchant ship ‘be filled with hot bitches waiting for some action’

O5taNLY.png
It was a Norwegian steamer, I had to try! One year in Germany will make anyone desparate!

17257.jpg
Cruel retort: Not as desperate as getting a bonus taken away

O5taNLY.png
FUUUUUUCK! !

P2EMy5V.png

TijzN0E.png

xOzYtWw.png

O5taNLY.png
Surprise sex muthafuckas!

RJkx2RE.png

Not pictured for our young prude audience, one Invincible-class BC slows down and has the whole of the High Seas Fleet passing over it while her three friends help Kalin relieve his sexual frustration (totally wasn't me forgetting t screenshot it)

CYJqtIs.png

15322.jpg
That went…surprisingly well….

15522.jpg
Are you doubting the talents of our fleet?

17185.jpg
How could…*beeeuaargh* the anglos stand up to us?

15322.jpg
Oh, you’re back to normal I see. Finocchio...

17185.jpg
High speed chase… *hic*… too much for… *blaaaaaargh* …for me

15522.jpg
Well you’re lucky, we’re going to go back to cruise speed now, gather the fleet together and get ready to head for port.

15322.jpg
But signore the Grand Fleet…I can’t believe they left their brethren alone. They must be out there, somewhere…

------------------------------------------

O5taNLY.png
Weeee wuz kaaaaangz…my friends…

17257.jpg
Admiral, this entity considers it most unwise to let our guard down so quickly.

O5taNLY.png
Aaaaand weeeee’ll keep on fightan’ till the end.

17257.jpg
….this entity is starting to regret your good health…

O5taNLY.png
Weeeeee wuz kaaaangz. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WUZ ….

:xALAAAAAARM

349DLP7.png

O5taNLY.png
Oh shit…

17257.jpg
Unamused rebuttal: told you, bitch.

SJMr1uo.png

O5taNLY.png
RUN!

GL8qTvR.png

O5taNLY.png
RUUUUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

Will Kalin regret not painting his ships red? Will the High Sea Fleet fight its anglo opponent to the death or run away like a newfag upon sight of GD? Find out next time!
Until next time gentletrannies :salute:

yeye

Augur
I'm volunteering, preferably for the BCS but I'll leave that up to the Grossadmiral.

Andnjord

Arcane
THE THIRD BATTLE OF DOGGER BANK

Part Deux

15522.jpg
Oooof, it’s been a while…where were we again?

O5taNLY.png
I’VE GOT THE WHOLE FOOKIN LIMEY FLEET AFTER MY ASS, THAT’S WHERE WE ARE! !

SJMr1uo.png

15522.jpg
Ooh…right…

17257.jpg
Coming up hot: shopkeepers of the world delivery.

HMKa14v.png

15522.jpg
The battle line is ready to receive them and cross their T, they’re gonna fall for it again!

15322.jpg
Amirale, we can’t keep on fighting them at long range, we’ve used too much ammo against the Battle-cruisers. We need to engage them *gasp* closer

XuKXBXP.png

This is the Agincourt, a monster turret-farm of a ship. Luckily its turrets are getting knocked out at a fast pace.

N7LdL9L.png

Due to the way the British line turned when encountering us, we have our oldest ships leading the battle line rather than our Konig. Not ideal as I would like to have the better ships engaging the leading English division but nevertheless acceptable for now as it is going to take them quite a long time to deploy properly.

mL0hZnI.png

O5taNLY.png
Puff puff, drive the engines FASTA, we gunna cut them off from the front and envelop those limeys

EHkLWxS.png

O5taNLY.png
We’re here we gunna cut them off, we….oh shit…

yLRoUHj.png

British safety precautions, never again.

B2aK7el.png

BLAAAM! KABOOM! BLAAMO!

17185.jpg
Hot damn, that was one hell of a beating we just took!

15522.jpg
Gnnn….She can take it…and we’re giving them more than we’re taking.

17185.jpg
I like you admiral, my mom always used to say that it is better to give than to receive :D

15322.jpg
sigh…

And just as we’re getting into a generalized slugging out match, line vs line, muzzle vs muzzle, a rain squall falls over the ocean, half of the enemy fleet disappearing from view.

SA1sI9U.png

15322.jpg
Signore, this situation is terribly dangerous. Surely we cannot risk closing in, we risk blundering into bad positions and getting ambushed by their destroyers. And the ammo situation of the BCS is critically low, Kalin wasted too much ammo finishing off the British Battle-cruisers.

15522.jpg
NEIN!. No more retreating, no more fleeing! This is the moment we’ve been waiting for all along! We will chase them all the way to Scapa Flow if need be but I will not let them get away!

17185.jpg
So we’re *hic* gonna fight it out in this *hoc* rough sea? *beeeaaurgh*

15522.jpg
Signal to the fleet: general chase gotten himmel!

amLFFBm.png

Visibility is dropping rapidly, to about 11 000 yards from 19 000. We really lose sight of them for a brief 10-15 minutes.

Z4iJi4y.png

O5taNLY.png
Fack, almost no dakka left!

C5xOYrr.png

17257.jpg
Intelligent proposal: Sir, the British won’t know we are low on ammunition and they are trying to disengage. If we keep on pressuring them we will drive them towards the rest of the fleet. It is risky though, our armour will not protect us at close ranges

O5taNLY.png
Shut up ya fool! I got a bonaz winner idea instead. We’ll drive close to them, pretend to drive-by shootan them! Then they’ll be forced to withdraw on the main boyz, tacticool like! Risk-free too!

17257.jpg
…sigh…

Z4iJi4y.png

2337.jpg
They must be close, drive at them!

memJvC6.png

15522.jpg
Signal to the fleet: our northern flank will keep going north. We will turn east and envelop them. To all squadron, the time for independent action in the face of the enemy has now arrived. We will fight them in melee, give them a taste of their own Nelsonian tactics.

15322.jpg
gasp. But…we’re not even sure where they are…we’re dividing our fleet…and you’re trusting our squadrons for individual action…

15522.jpg
If you dare question my orders again, I’ll have you assigned as Herr Varza personal cleaner.

17185.jpg
*hic* For real? ::D

rmBk9dW.png

Brace yourselves boys, we’re going in

North Flank, BCS:

I9TQtTh.png

O5taNLY.png
Shit, that’s too many of them, pull out!

17257.jpg
Lucrative proposal: keeping a significant portion of the enemy fleet engaged while our main body deals with the rest would be a sure way to obtain a significant bonus sir.

O5taNLY.png
Fine, keep at them, attack attack attack! !

Middle

11529.jpg
This is rear admiral Yeye reporting, we are engaging a significant part of the enemy fleet in front of us. Requesting reinforcements.

XvVJ7mS.png

15522.jpg
Who’s that Yeye guy again?

15322.jpg
Signore, he is the commander of the Nassau-class squadron, aboard the Posen.

15522.jpg
Did I put him there? Damn, can’t remember anymore. Plot a course for an interception of their southern flank, we’ll get them from the rear.

xsg3UhW.png

2337.jpg
Focus fire on the Erin! She’s fallen out of line, we’ve got her!

22873.jpg
To the abyss her brave sailors will belong.

2337.jpg
Somebody pleeeease get me a drink!

cUHUuqQ.png

15522.jpg
Send out the destroyers, we’re picking off their stragglers one by one! See Dayallu, I told you that we’d get them.

15322.jpg
It’s not over yet sir, the main body of their fleet is still unaccounted for.

XFeXrLe.png

M23GmVn.png

Our destroyers happily put torpedoes into the Erin, Agincourt and Iron Duke who were already struggling due to repeated heavy hits from our Battleships. But suddenly…

Eq0q2a2.png

2337.jpg
Oh for the love of god…Signal to the Admiral: we have found the main enemy fleet….

Y45ZetR.png

2337.jpg
Damn you Andnjord, you’ve sent us to our deaths! Pull out, pull out!

NQQR6L5.png

15522.jpg
We need to cover the retreat of Azira, his squadron can't fight the whole British fleet. And where is Yeye and his squadron!

18HTrh6.png

14228.jpg
Rudder jammed! We’re circling right in front of the whole British fleet! Somebody saaaave me!

Jd0LRz4.png

Not pictured: Comte is charged by a DD flotilla but the timely arrival of the Nassau class chases them away before they put torps into him.

0HUdyHO.png

15522.jpg
The moment of crisis has passed. Our position is excellent. We’ve got them hemmed in between us and the Battle-cruiser. Any straggler will be picked on by the Nassau and Heligoland. Steady as she goes and we’ll let our superior gunnery take its toll.

8pvQGpF.png

The situation at this point: The Battle-cruisers in the North even though they are critically short on ammunition are keeping them from running away. The Konig and Kaisers are now in line slugging it out against the British at close range

w32zENn.png

Between them are the Nassau and Heligoland who are following on and finishing off any stragglers with the help of the Destroyers.

blpTwg9.png

H873B0a.png

67Swr7I.png

We are taking damage ourselves, but unlike the British our retreat path is safe. Nevertheless we eventually have to accept that we can’t continue fighting without starting to take losses as our ships are taking more and more damage, our ammo stocks are getting really low and our forces are getting fatigued (thus fighting less effectively) and we disengage shortly before nightfall.

dknrxUO.png

4xbMo48.png

Victory! Glorious victory!

Post battle analysis to come tomorrow as it's getting stupidly late but I wanted to push this out. See you next time Captains!

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
So this was a massive victory. The British battle cruiser fleet is now fully at the bottom of the sea (short of one old BC, HMS Indefatigable) and we fought the Grand Fleet straight on and came out ahead. The battle can be divided into 4 phases:

1. The BC pursuit: Catching all their Battle Cruisers isolated was a tremendous coup, how the AI managed to get its fleet split up so badly is anyone's guess, but it allowed us to take our time and finish them off at leisure, leaving no survivors. In hindsight I should have been more conservative with the BCS ammo, letting the DDs get in earlier and torp them of death earlier. Had I conserved more we probably could have done a lot more damage in the later phases as the BCS spent a long time just waving a big red flag at the enemy without actually shooting.

2. The crossing the T: A textbook execution of the maneuver, it allowed us to effectively neutralize a full squadron early into the battle thanks to the Colossus blowing up and the others rendered combat-ineffective due to accumulated damage. The big decision was whether to turn the line West or East. By turning East I could have had a more favourable wind (resulting in better gun accuracy due to the ships having their own smoke smoke blown away from their targets) and a better deployed battle line (with the better ships in the front rather than in the rear). But it would have allowed the British to either get their whole line engaged earlier or worse to disengage all-together.

3. The general chase: Keeping the BCS continuously engaged was a big risk as they couldn't fire back and at the ranges they were being shot at their armor was effectively non-existent. Luckily between the British poor accuracy and the rough sea reducing accuracy even further they avoided any serious damage. Blundering the Konig squadron into the British fleet was pretty bad and when the Kronprinz started circling out of control in front of them I really thought she was a goner. Luckily the older BBs arrived in time the chase off the DDs (which the Brits really did not have enough of them, I mean we were fielding twice as many as them!) and unlike what the Warspite did at Jutland the enemy fleet was moving away from her rather than towards.

It's during this phase that we managed to inflict the most damage, the final positioning of the fleets, with the BCS in the North, the Super Dreadnoughts in the South and the older BBs on their tail meant that any British ship that slowed down and fell out of line was quickly gobbled up by swarms of DDs. While it is true that the BCS wasn't causing any more damage, their presence prevented the enemy from disengaging North which would have saved their cripples.

4. The final slugging out: This phase actually wasn't going in our favour anymore., our BCs north were out of ammo, the Super-Dreadnoughts were rapidly accumulating damage while engaging fresh British ships and the older BBs weren't in position to effectively engage anything serious but the stragglers (too slow to reposition). Had I stuck around longer I really feel like we would have started taking losses among our better ships without being able to inflict enough damage on their line to the point that they would have fallen out and died.

Andnjord

Arcane
Decision Time!

So, for those who have kept track of the score, we now have 21 capital ships (BBs and BCs combined) with wich we engaged 24 British capital ships. Since we sunk 10 of them, they should now be down to 14, even counting reinforcements (which the Brits don't get that many of in 1915) we should be ahead of them. And guess what the victory conditions are? That's right, 2 000 000 VP difference AND more operational capital ships than they have!

Thus, after a few months of repair...

G8lZwES.png

Men! It's voting time:
A. Continue the Campaign! We need to see every single British ship at the bottom of the Sea!
B. Let's end this now! We would just be slogging out a couple more easy battle to a foregone conclusion and our brave captains deserve their medals and bonuses (yeah, right)! It is high time to start the RTW2 succession campaign! Aircraft Carriers, Fast Battleships, Radars oh my!

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
End it here. The rest is going to be a slug. I like games which know how to end it early.

Andnjord

Arcane
In case it wasn't obvious from the options, B was of course my favorite. Thank you trannies and gentlemen for your support.

I'll write an epilogue and some post-campaign thoughts at some point later, in the meantime:
B

I BOUGHT THE GODDAMN THING AND IT FEELS PROPER THAT YOU MAKE THE THREAD BECAUSE I AM LAZY
SIGNOR SI’. SIGNORE!

Andnjord

Arcane
The last fight was damn good! :bro:
Thanks, it was a blast to play it, actually had to do the second half on a different day since it was just so long. That's also why I was glad to be able to end it there, that way I could finish on a big climactic battle rather than after a boring cruiser action.

vazha

Arcane
Hey my momma never said anything of that sort! Closest thing she said was I should give more attention to not so good looking but smart girls so that they would help me with homework lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom