Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My biggest issues with Divinity games were related with their shallow RPG systems most of these should be fixed by using DnD D20.

In before E3 interview where they talk about converting the game to work with a "simpler and more inclusive RPG system" so your sister and grandma can play.

Delterius

Arcane
Have we ever battled an actual Kraken in an RPG ever? PoE1's one is pathetic.

And Shining Force 2 of course...........

20-shining_challenge_062.png

hqdefault.jpg
miss-me-banner.jpg

RegionalHobo

Scholar
do people really want more about the bhaalspawn instead of a new plot?

i'd rather have him as a easter egg or not at all, that plot is done. plot was never the strength of bg 2 anyway

if anything what survived the test of time for me was Amn as a hub

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How does that module written by James Ohlen mange to shoehorn in all the BG party members and ignore the Bhaalspawn? Not being a dick, just curious where the timeline is. I suppose it's right after BG1 and before the kidnapping?.

Delterius

Arcane
How does that module written by James Ohlen mange to shoehorn in all the BG party members and ignore the Bhaalspawn? Not being a dick, just curious where the timeline is. I suppose it's right after BG1 and before the kidnapping?.
its set during the bhaalspawn's rerolling for all 18s

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What about other fan favorites such as Neera and Rasaad? They can't leave me hanging like this.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
We'll play another bhaalspawn.
We'll venture forth making choices between the path of the lord of murder and the path of sjwism, before being canonically forced towards the latter at the end.
We'll benefit - by our godly ascension - from a demon form which will be activated via Awesome Button®.
Romances shall be of all shapes and forms. Writing shall be surprisingly good, even by Bg standards (not that hard heh), and people will still bitch about it.
Gameplay will suck major dicks because it'll try to capture something from the original games and fail at it.

I can see the future. I'm the three-eyed grog. This is a reference to a popular universe and will therefore cause immediate repulsion of the average codexer.
Told you.

I'll quote that when it's released.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why would you even want a real sequel?

By the way, BG and BG2 took place in 1368-1369. It's now 1491 in the FR. 122 years have passed, if these folks aren't elves or gnomes, they're dead.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Speaking of canonicity: if the original BG series is the Christian Orthodox Church, the EEs embody its Catholic decline, while Larian's heretical BG3 marks the Protestant disintegration before the final fall. Before you ask: Judaism is Gold Box D&D; Islam is Sword Coast Legends.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am fine with a new story arc, not a new chapter in the bhaalspawn saga.

I just want to return to the characters, the setting and have a good game

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Speaking of canonicity: if the original BG series is the Christian Orthodox Church, the EEs embody its Catholic decline, while Larian's heretical BG3 marks the Protestant disintegration before the final fall. Before you ask: Judaism is Gold Box D&D; Islam is Sword Coast Legends.
Skyrim is flatearthers' creed then.

RickOmbo

Learned
Skyrim is flatearthers' creed then.
DOS2 is Life of Brian with bad jokes then.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only grace of having Larian doing BG 3 is possibility that Mr. Living Stretch Goal Chris Avelone might be writing for the game or at least direct the general tone of it.

D:OS has decent setting destroyed with garbage humor and dialogue. Hopefully MCA directing would result in a better game.

On the other hand MCA gotta be busy slurping that EA sheckels on Star Wars game so I don't want to get my hopes up.

hell bovine

Arcane
Once again, fair ladies and not-so-fair gentlemen: the story CANNOT have anything to do with Bhaal or the Bhaalspawn, whether you believe it to be a good thing or not. Even someone as tone-deaf as WotC, and most certainly Larian, understand that suddenly trying to push Abdel Adrian as CHARNAME would be the "Last Jedi" of RPG's - turning a beloved protagonist into something no one really wants him to be - and dead, to boot. Also, telling those thousands of people "your version of the game never happened, you're wrong" is suicide from a marketing standpoint. Baldur's Gate III is 100% targeted towards old gamers.
But what if you get to play the party that gets to hunt down & kill the last Bhaalspawn-turned-giant lobster?

also, ooh, tentacles!
anims-demogorgon-animated.gif

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The more I think about it, the more I think it's a great match.
The D:OS games suffered from:
a) Weird ruleset decisions especially in D:OS 2 (armor system, initiative) - addressed by using AD&D rules, 5e or whatever
b) Terrible itemization - also addressed by the ruleset
c) Mediocre char building - the same as above

And to add to these, the FR setting is light-weight and will easily fit Larian's abilities etc
Of course the question remains if they'll go RTwP or not. I personally hope not but let's see

Fairfax

Arcane
It's set right before BG2:
It is now 1369 DR, and another faction seeks to pick up the pieces left behind by Sarevok. They are called the Zhentarim, or the Black Network—a predatory criminal organization that seeks to spread its influence throughout Faerûn, accumulating power for its own sake. While others celebrate the end of the Iron Crisis, the agents of the Black Network sense opportunity. The Zhentarim know that the Iron Throne had access to vast amounts of wealth and magic, which are now ripe for plunder. Additionally, one of the Zhentarim, a crazed necromancer named Xzar, has discovered that he is one of the Bhaalspawn—a potential heir to the Lord of Murder. Xzar now seeks to unearth the research of his dead sibling, Sarevok, with the goal of becoming a god himself.

hell bovine

Arcane
But what if you get to play the party that gets to hunt down & kill the last Bhaalspawn-turned-giant lobster?

No game company is dumb enough to make an RPG game about a story already told somewhere else. At least not Larian.
Worked for PK. They did change some story bits, apparently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom