Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
What? The entire story behind both Baldur's Gate I and II hinge on either:
A. The antagonist being a Bhaalspawn and thus having delusions of attaining godhood. (Sarevok)
B. The antagonist craving a Bhaalspawn's soul, thus opening a gate to god-like powers. (Irenicus)
baldursgatedarkallianceii_bc-1000x665w.jpg

Baldur's Gate is 50% Bhaalspawn and 50% Hervé Caen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More than a decade later, the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games will finally become what Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was to Fallout 3. :shittydog:

BTW it would be cool if WotC hired some studio to port those games to PC. inXile's Bard's Tale action-RPG used the same engine and was on PC so it should be possible.

Swigen

Arbiter
Dark Alliance 2 on 360 has unplayable lag. Also, Bard’s Tale: Re-snarkLed edition on Vita does as well and it’s apparent within minutes of playtime. Everyone who released those gaems in the state they’re in is a fucking piece of shit and deserves to burn in hell.

:argh:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Why are they trolling?
Game is 100% Sahuagin Priest slaughter fest, with each and every one wearing an undroppable cloak of mirroring with updated VFX provided by the POE effects artists.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tbh I wouldn't mind a BG3 shitting all over the post-ToB lore established by the novels & campaigns.
Give the wiki page a read over if you're unfamiliar: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Abdel_Adrian

Ironically, WotC has adopted a very mish-mash approach to what is "canon". As I've mentioned before, the Minsc present within comics which are currently released is the one from the games, not from the novels. Coran also recognizes Minsc, which is impossible in light of the novels, since the two never met.
I'm having a growing suspicion that the whole Abdel Adrian fiasco was somehow pushed by Greenwood himself, who sought to give closure to a plot thread which he didn't particularly enjoy (the Bhaalspawn).
IMO the novels should be thrown away and disregarded. The entire concept of a novelization of an open-ended non-linear game is pants on head retarded.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Auraculum seems a little over-concerned about the storyline and lore of the Baldur's Gate games. I think most of us here just want an official D&D CRPG that isn't shovelware for the first time in a decade. That it's called Baldur's Gate is of secondary importance.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker was close enough for me. Otherwise calling anything BG3 and not continuing the Bhaalspawn saga by casting resurrection on all party members, or carrying on from the end of BG2 is just manipulation and IP rape.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, the whole "3" part is suspect. I hope it's simply to cash in on the name, and not to imply some kind of continuation. Since Bhaal has indeed returned in 5E, they might do something with that, like you are a new batch of Bhaalspawn or you are his agent (that's gonna be cool). I know we won't be able to avoid Minsc, so I hope it's a cameo or something, and not a full-fledged companion.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, the whole "3" part is suspect. I hope it's simply to cash in on the name, and not to imply some kind of continuation. Since Bhaal has indeed returned in 5E, they might do something like that, like you are a new batch of Bhaalspawn or you are his agent (that's gonna be cool). I know we won't be able to avoid Minsc, so I hope it's a cameo or something, and not a full-fledged companion.
IIRC, Minsc actually got petrified and accidentally became a statue for a long time. So if it's a game set in the future Minsc is fair game.

which I suppose brings up the question of "gee, why didn't Abdel ever think of trying to figure out what happened to Minsc?"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, the whole "3" part is suspect. I hope it's simply to cash in on the name, and not to imply some kind of continuation. Since Bhaal has indeed returned in 5E, they might do something like that, like you are a new batch of Bhaalspawn or you are his agent (that's gonna be cool). I know we won't be able to avoid Minsc, so I hope it's a cameo or something, and not a full-fledged companion.

Reminds me of when Eidos Montreal were developing their crappy Thief game back in 2013, and there were some people on the forum who were upset it wasn't a real sequel with the same character as the original trilogy but instead more of a reimagining. They thought that made the game a "cash grab". And I was like, "Are you guys nuts? You don't want them touching the original setting, trust me!"

It seems obvious in retrospect but there really were people who were upset about this. Yes, when you make a sequel this many years apart from the originals, when the developers are entirely different people, it is better for them to be playing in a different sandbox. If only so you can safely file the game away if it turns out bad.

I thought they had resurrected Minsc by cloning him from samples of his hamster's frozen blood, recovered after his death two hundred years prior to the current timel….. wait, must have gotten that mixed up with another Franchise™.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I wish story would go as follows.
10 000 years after Irencus you fall in some decrepit dungeon and see stone statue. After casting stone to flesh, man speaks: My name is Minsc and this is Boo. Thank you for depetrifying me.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Man they could totally do a thing where Boo is ACTUALLY a giant space hamster, that's only miniature because of an evil curse, and you can gradually restore him to his true size and power! That would be so epic! (and funny xd)

Codex Year of the Donut

Reminds me of when Eidos Montreal were developing their crappy Thief game back in 2013, and there were some people on the forum who were upset it wasn't a real sequel with the same character as the original trilogy but instead more of a reimagining. They thought that made the game a "cash grab". And I was like, "Are you guys nuts? You don't want them touching the original setting, trust me!"

It seems obvious in retrospect but there really were people who were upset about this. Yes, when you make a sequel this many years apart from the originals, when the developers are entirely different people, it is better for them to be playing in a different sandbox. If only so you can safely file the game away if it turns out bad.
Except there's existing post-ToB lore that needs to be erased. If Larian are the ones willing to pick up that eraser then more power to them, but this is something that needs corrected.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark Alliance 2 on 360 has unplayable lag. Also, Bard’s Tale: Re-snarkLed edition on Vita does as well and it’s apparent within minutes of playtime. Everyone who released those gaems in the state they’re in is a fucking piece of shit and deserves to burn in hell.

:argh:

They should definitely make a remake of the Dark Alliance Dualogy and launch it as a multiplatform title.

frajaq

Erudite
If they add Minsc just let me have the choice of getting rid of him permanently in the first interactions

Efe

Erudite
"Are you guys nuts? You don't want them touching the original setting, trust me!"
why even have the name "baldur's gate" if its not part of that story?
i'm sure those people complaining about thief franchise thought this way too, if it had no relation to the series then change the bloody name. Why not start an original series, ie Bazaar of Amn. Dragons of Cormyr etc instead of leeching off a successful series without having anything in common?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Are you guys nuts? You don't want them touching the original setting, trust me!"
why even have the name "baldur's gate" if its not part of that story?
i'm sure those people complaining about thief franchise thought this way too, if it had no relation to the series then change the bloody name. Why not start an original series, ie Bazaar of Amn. Dragons of Cormyr etc instead of leeching off a successful series without having anything in common?

Shit, we have to tell him. There’s this thing. I believe it’s called... money. People exchange it for goods and/or services. It’s generally considered quite desirable! For some crazy reason Larian believes they’ll make more of this so-called money by “leeching off a successful franchise.” Crazy, right?

purpleblob

Savant
Yes, the whole "3" part is suspect. I hope it's simply to cash in on the name, and not to imply some kind of continuation. Since Bhaal has indeed returned in 5E, they might do something with that, like you are a new batch of Bhaalspawn or you are his agent (that's gonna be cool). I know we won't be able to avoid Minsc, so I hope it's a cameo or something, and not a full-fledged companion.

Yeah, that's my beef with this silly teaser. Don't fucking call it BG"3" make it BG:whateverjustnot3. Larian's popularity is enough for marketing, adding BG"3" is just dirty milking business.

Efe

Erudite
well theres also this thing called fan expectationg and customer backlash
imagine going to your favorite coffee shop, placing and order and being served some garbage (say, starbucks) under your favorite brand name.
crazy right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom