Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
That's not what the article says. Technically, Google translates it fine, but the meaning in German is different. It means that potentially it won't be isometric for the first time in the franchise.

The more I get the feeling this is the mandatory of Wizards of the coast to reach wider audience.

Maybe they'll go for Dragon Age Inquisition with improved combat.

And what about 5e rules of d&d? Is there a way to at least partially implement rules of party based tabletop game into 3d person action game? I don't think devs knows answer on this question either, because implementing d&d rules wasn't in their plans anyway. If I wrong in my assumptions -good, but now things look really weird.

Probably they don't know because it's not finished yet.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It says that despite the fact that there will be some kind of beta test or early access the combat system is not up for debate. Again that suggest that there isn't a choice.
Shouldn't that be the other way around, like "Obwohl es keine Abstimmung für das Kampfsystem gibt, soll Baldur's Gate eine Art von Betatest durchlaufen"? Even though there's no vote for the combat system, there should be a beta test. At least it makes more sense to me. I get the meaning of the original sentence, but it implies that a beta test necessarily requires a vote for the combat system and that this is an exception.

First BG3 gameplay trailer in 3 months:

The camera slowly pans over Faerun, gorgeously rendered in glorious 3D. In the distance, you see the worn down towers of Candlekeep against the blue background of the Sea of Swords. Beautiful music elates your nostalgic feelings, and the camera slowly moves toward the dear old library keep. A familiar narrator begins to talk about your foster father, Mr. Bigglesworth, when suddenly, they are interrupted by a giant passing shadow, as a massive dragon flies overhead, with two swords on its back. Your character yells Fus-Doh-Meow, promptly shoots an arrow through the dragon's knee, and rolls away from danger. This immediately prompts a full QTE sequence, as the flying dragon and you engage in rock-paper-scissors mini-game of insults and exchange of youtube cat videos. Suddenly, you must make a grave choice, with unclear consequences that will only be revealed much later in the game, knowing only that whatever decision you go with, the game will still enter battle royale mode within fifteen minutes. The background music becomes much more somber, and you see a parting shot of Sarevok, with a bowl on his head, his face livid with tears, because becoming the Lord of Cats was not what he expected. Baldur's Gate III, coming in 2020.

Dodo1610

Arcane
It says that despite the fact that there will be some kind of beta test or early access the combat system is not up for debate. Again that suggest that there isn't a choice.
Shouldn't that be the other way around, like "Obwohl es keine Abstimmung für das Kampfsystem gibt, soll Baldur's Gate eine Art von Betatest durchlaufen"? Even though there's no vote for the combat system, there should be a beta test. At least it makes more sense to me. I get the meaning of the original sentence, but it implies that a beta test necessarily requires a vote for the combat system and that this is an exception.

We both mean the same thing but your translation is closer to the text.
Again it confirms the early access, they will listen to critique but no matter what the combat won't be changed.

Dodo1610

Arcane
neither classical RTWP or turn-based but something different.

Called it :smug:

Just to be absolutley clear it's not said in the artcle. There is still a chnace it will be either RTWP or turn based but I personally think that it will be something different. He thinks once people see the combat people will like it which means to me that it is something different.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The interview basically says "fuck you ("you" is implying those who want RTwP or TB), you won't be happy either way, so we'll make the combat system however we want to". It doesn't say what "however we want to" means, though.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The interview basically says "fuck you ("you" is implying those who want RTwP or TB), you won't be happy either way, so we'll make the combat system however we want to". It doesn't say what "however we want to" means, though.

Thanks, yes that's what I meant.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I love how they hint that we are the problem and we are being unreasonable.

Yeah, he is pretty convinced that he found the ultimate new way to implement DND into a video game which will be unlike everything we have seen before. And anyone who wants Baldurs Gate 3 to play like BG 2 is simply wrong because he hasn't seen the Baldurs Gate 3 gameplay.

norolim

Arcane
Well, it all sounds rather gloomy. If the combat has anything to do with some fucking cards, I'm not even touching this turd with a 10 foot pole.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The classic, there will alwaaaaays beeee... some people, who do not liiiiiiiike, anything we do. So were goooooiiing to make... a total shit out of it all.

Fuck the haters!

If anyone actually reads that article let us know what exactly he said about "isometric" poV.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
First screenshot!

1.jpg

Dodo1610

Arcane
he is pretty convinced that he found the ultimate new way to implement DND into a video game which will be unlike everything we have seen before.

I've seen that movie before!
I love how they hint that we are the problem and we are being unreasonable.
It will be great fun if it crashes and burns.

Do you really think he cares about the few hundred thousand people that want Baldurs Gate 3 to play like the predecessors.No he does not, he is making a game for the Original Sin 2 audience, people that don't even realise that the combat system as a whole is bad? BG3 will outsell DOS 2 with the additional new DND players even if not a single BG fan will buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom