Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPGs other than Arcanum feature 'fate points'?

Codex Year of the Donut
FatePointMenu.jpg

I assume it was inspired by Fudge points(or similar? I've never bothered to look into it)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I assume it was inspired by Fudge points(or similar? I've never bothered to look into it)

Fate points (under varying names in different systems) are a staple of pen and paper in general.

There aren't many RPGs out there using fate points, but Frayed Knights uses them in the best way by far. Two other examples I can think of are Torment Numanuma (terrible implementation because they're lifted straight from pnp Numenera, and that is one shit heap of a system), and arguably Battletech (obviously not RPG, but the speshul abilities you can activate through morale are fate points in every way other than name).

Also, I think Arcanum's fate points are terribly ill-considered, because you get them very rarely and they never regenerate, so why the fuck would you ever consider using them instead of, I dunno, hogging them all for the final boss? Especially with save scumming around.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I only got 1 fate point and I never used it. Kerghan was easy enough to beat without it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also, I think Arcanum's fate points are terribly ill-considered, because you get them very rarely and they never regenerate, so why the fuck would you ever consider using them instead of, I dunno, hogging them all for the final boss? Especially with save scumming around.
The Arcanum rolls are such that savescumming might never help you. Generally u either have 4 out of 5 points in skill or gg

Fate Points allow doing what you never could have done (solving quests without companions for example, like opening iron clan box) or greatly increase speed at which some builds develop (stealing very good guns).

There is no critical for persuasion so there is no point saving them for Kerghan or anyone.

Codex Year of the Donut
Because not everyone savescums

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

then have fun trying to decide where to spend your 1 fate point in a game that takes 40 or whatever hours to finish

spoiler, you're never going to spend it

Codex Year of the Donut

then have fun trying to decide where to spend your 1 fate point in a game that takes 40 or whatever hours to finish

there's 27 possible fate points.

Citizen

why the fuck would you ever consider using them instead of, I dunno, hogging them all for the final boss? Especially with save scumming around.

I use them to pickpocket TOP GUNZ for my firearms characters, because I don't like savescumming

Egosphere

Arcane
why the fuck would you ever consider using them instead of, I dunno, hogging them all for the final boss? Especially with save scumming around.

I use them to pickpocket TOP GUNZ for my firearms characters, because I don't like savescumming
There's also the sword of Baltar on Lianna, if you decide to go south first before visiting Tarant

Insert Title Here
As mentioned they are a pnp thing and also common in board games, I have played a lot of Talisman and fate can make or break you in that game. One thing I like about Talisman that might be cool in video game rpgs is how you start out with a number of fate points based on your class/race (well, in Talisman you start with a character card such as "Troll" or "Thief") and so it could offer more customization, i.e. in considering your character's luck or equivalent, the fate points you get could be another factor to think about.

Cael

Arcane

there's 27 possible fate points.
There is actually an unlimited supply of fate points if you are willing to forgo completing a quest for a while. You can only have 100 of them at any one time, but that itself should be plenty.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I can understand Roxor's point about people not wanting to use them because save scumming exists, but as I said before, designing systems around save scumming is just stupid. It's a waste of time and possibly of good ideas, just to claim you have a game system immune to save scumming.

And yeah, in Arcanum they definitely help you do things you couldn't do even if you save scummed, so they're hardly "terribly ill-considered".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yep. Barring the p. ugly graphics and webcomic humour (personally I didn't find it that bad, it has a few funny moments), it's all things considered a solid blobber.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

But you don't mind metagaming to know where to go to steal TOP GUNZ at the beginning of the game?
I may be misremembering, but can't you look at NPC inventories through the pickpocket interface without passing any checks?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom