Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Prepare to be mocked.

For additional fun, state honestly why you've never played that game and if you ever plan to or not.

For me, it's Age of Decadence. I simply have no interest in its content or its subject. I also have no desire to have VD yell at me as my DM when I make decisions he doesn't approve of. I'll likely never play it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
NWN. I hate the art direction, I hate the systems, and I hate the conceit.

Wasteland 1. I can handle that kind of UI in a blobber, but I have trouble enjoying it in 3rd person / top-down.

I'm a graphics whore :(

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mask of the Betrayer would be a big one. Any post-Baldur's Gate Bioware. The Realms of Arkania series. Might and Magic 3, 7.

Edit: oh yeah, the Gothics.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My definition of classic is likely different than yours.

Disciples of Steel. I haven't even played it yet, and either octavius or Unkillable Cat told me about it and I respect the opinions of those monocled gentlemen. It's also the only game on crpgaddict's 'Highest Rated So Far' list that I haven't tried to run in Dosbox yet.

I also have played the Magic Candle and Realms of Arkania, but never finished. I plan to beat them one day.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Realms of Arkania series.
Just as the first game was coming up on my chronological play list, rumours about the Remake began. And the remake is still not on GOG, so it's kind of in limbo for me. And to make matters worse, apparantly the first remake sucks, while the rest are good.

Arcanum.
I had a more busy life back then, and what time I had for gaming was for a large part used on PB(E)M games. Also, being a combatfag the game didn't seem crucial to me.

Any "classic" from after 2006. There were no classics from 2007 to 2010 (or were there?), when I strarted my chronlogical project.

Last edited:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I've yet to play through any goldbox. Mapping dungeons is cool but I prefer to either be managing a dungeon map OR complex combat mechanics and quest clues, and not really both.

to the guy above, the second remake is also pretty crap in a lot of ways, and they never did a third. Honestly, just try the originals, or maybe skip right to 2 since 1 is quite similar but a lot worse in various ways. RoA2 and 3 are classics and extremely cool

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The Gothic series. When I downloaded it from Kazaa back in 2001-2002, before torrents even appeared, it turned out it was in German with no localization.

Anythin from Wizardry. Idk, recommend me where to start, I guess..?

Anything from Ultima. Idk, recommend me where to start, I guess..?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
For me, it's Ultima series. I hate the birds eye view perspective used in 6 & 7. Its core gameplay is also far less interesting than its fellow 1st generation cRPG Wizardry series.

Ivan

Arcane
Anything before Fallout. I hear most of the GoldBox games are all about combat and feature little to no personality traits or emphasis on writing.

Though I am very much interested in trying the King's Field series.

Lemming42

Arcane
Anything before Fallout. I hear most of the GoldBox games are all about combat and feature little to no personality traits or emphasis on writing.

Albion is a pre-Fallout RPG that you might like if you're all about stories, it's got a very heavy emphasis on reading dialogue and learning more about the setting and people in it.

Darklands and Daggerfall also both have pretty good writing and really interesting settings.

zapotec

Liturgist
Wizardry 7.

I also tried to play the Eye of the Beholder series but i got motion sickness, strangely it didn't happen with the Ravenloft titles and Menzoberranzan

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Deuce Traveler I'm not the monocled gentleman you're thinking of. The name Disciples of Steel doesn't even ring bells for me, so it can't have been me.

As for my list, it's gonna be a long one, starting with the Wizardry series in its entirety. They require a time commitment I simply cannot afford at this point in my life. I may play them one day, but don't hold your breaths.

For the same reason as above, I name Deus Ex (just the first one, don't care about the others), Age of Decadence, the first two Might & Magic games, The Temple of Elemental Evil, The Witcher series, Grimoire, all Ultima games before Ultima 7, Darklands and Dungeon Master + Chaos Strikes Back. Of all the games mentioned so far, I only feel bad about not having played Dungeon Master + CSB. The rest are not that important to me, but if I get the chance I'd give them a go. Only time will tell.

There are tons of other "well-loved" and "classic" RPGs out there that I haven't played, but in all honesty I don't give a shit about them anymore. That includes all of Bioware's catalog after Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, the Divinity games, any and all RPGs by Blizzard and Bethesda, and almost every jRPG ever made. I'm probably missing out on plenty of titles, but I'm not here in a pissing contest over them because that would imply a distinct hatred of them... which is not the case. It's not antipathy, just apathy.

flushfire

Augur
Torment. I did try once, it just felt so clunky and I wasn't aware of a high res mod at the time. Planning to try again someday.

Ultimas before 8, not a fan of the perspective. Will play someday.

Gothics, only played Risen onwards. No real reason, just never tried. Will maybe play someday.

RoA, have difficulty playing grid based crawler style games (disorientation issues) although I liked Wizardry 7 because of the nice graphics.

Darklands, wasn't aware of it when I was young, now it's too dated. Still want to try though.

AoD, not my cup of tea.

Fallout New Vegas

Any Star Wars Shit. Liked the first two movies in 1976 and 1981 or whatever when I was a little kid..but as a RPG world it sucks fucking dick, have zero interest, don't get why anybody would want to use it for a RPG..even when I was young I did not know why anyone would want to play a RPG in the starwars universe...like playing a cartoon RPG..which yes I know people played, some of my friends made me play 'Toon' the RPG and I still am mad about it

Last edited:
I've yet to play through any goldbox. Mapping dungeons is cool but I prefer to either be managing a dungeon map OR complex combat mechanics and quest clues, and not really both.

to the guy above, the second remake is also pretty crap in a lot of ways, and they never did a third. Honestly, just try the originals, or maybe skip right to 2 since 1 is quite similar but a lot worse in various ways. RoA2 and 3 are classics and extremely cool

I played all the goldbox games back in the day and finished them and never mapped anything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom