Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
That is a main issue for me - you waste all caster levels and feats to shoot but still cast spells when it matters the most.

Beside, comparing archer that would not get second attack until the lvl 11 to competent wizard with Haste and Stinking cloud (character lvl 6 vs lvl 9) is ridiculous. Low levels is exactly where difference is most prominent.
Where classic AT is CC god until he is DPS god with Glitterdust and Stinky, you get shitty archer that could not even provide crucial buffs without 3 levels delay.

You make good points.

Here’s the thing. You get second attack with Rapid at five, with 3 BAB instead of 1 with rush to AT. Courage and Bane hit +2 at level 5, Archon’s Aura comes on, and you get Bond at 4. Amiri makes a fine freebooter as you can give her cleaving finish and deadly carnage without prereqs and she can give the finger while tanks are engaging.

If first attack lands, second is +4 with debilitating. First four levels of unchained rogue are really good. I’ll admit using cantrip/fist/Bokken’s snowball wand a good bit at this point, as there aren’t really any good bows yet.

There’s a haste wand to tide you over if you need it, but I run Jub for Troll Trouble so she’s back on the bench for me after Stag Lord (she’s way better as a rogue than caster until lvl 6). By lvl 9 you’ve got your third level spells and it’s all good.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Manyshot's extra attack does not allow sneak dices so it is bow raw damage + STR which is abysmal on AT.

I tried Eldritch Scoundrel for the same thing (with Eldritch Archer splash for spell combat for rays) and even this one with medium rogue bab had problems with hitting broad side of a dragon with tons of buffs.

Anyway R4/W1/AT10 is impossible build - you need 3 caster levels and access to lvl 2 spells as AT prerequisite - which makes it R4/W3/AT10. Delaying Surprise Spells to lvl 17 is alike to shooting yourself into knee and ruining perfectly capable char.

Yeah, Scoundrel has the same problem as EA with the slow spell progression. I was fine with that because high level arcane spells (and kineticist shenanigans) make the game trivial, but that really is self-gimping.

I don’t think taking full advantage of the sneak attack mechanics/in-game bows with multiple attacks really is. The question is how viable it is. With solid play I’ve found it to be so.

Desiderius

Patron
Where classic AT is CC god until he is DPS god with Glitterdust and Stinky, you get shitty archer that could not even provide crucial buffs without 3 levels delay.
Three? Don't you mean one if you go Wizard>1x Vivi/Rogue>AT>Wizard?

That way you can use ranged touch spells for damage and spellschool focus Conjuration for most other wizardly pursuits -- summoning and, especially, CC. That way you get a mostly Full caster who can serve as the rogue skillmonkey and a shitty archer at the same time.

He said three because I’m suggesting filling out rogue levels to four to get the 3 extra BAB, debilitating, evasion, uncanny dodge, and two bonus feats (which I use on fast stealth and canny observer for quality of life reasons but min/maxers can spend on combat tricks).

You can add finesse training dueling sword for style points.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Manyshot's extra attack does not allow sneak dices so it is bow raw damage + STR which is abysmal on AT.

I tried Eldritch Scoundrel for the same thing (with Eldritch Archer splash for spell combat for rays) and even this one with medium rogue bab had problems with hitting broad side of a dragon with tons of buffs.
I had an archer for that DLC dungeon.
EA2, Vivi 2, Eldritch Soundrel 16
6d6 sneak dice + 5d6 sense vitals
hurrican bow
lots of True strike slots from vivi and EA alone plus the ES slots
3 advanced rogue talents, double debilitate (-8 AB, - 8 AC), dispelling, crippling strike
Didn't notice any problems hitting things, was easily the biggest damage dealer in the party other than the kineticist late game.

Desiderius

Patron

I had an archer for that DLC dungeon.
EA2, Vivi 2, Eldritch Soundrel 16
6d6 sneak dice + 5d6 sense vitals
hurrican bow
lots of True strike slots from vivi and EA alone plus the ES slots
3 advanced rogue talents, double debilitate (-8 AB, - 8 AC), dispelling, crippling strike
Didn't notice any problems hitting things, was easily the biggest damage dealer in the party other than the kineticist late game.

That’s a solid build. My MC for my first play through was Scoundrel/Aldori Defender/Duelist, which was solid if unspectacular. You’ve got to be double his DPS.

Why the Vivi? You don’t get DEX to damage and AC isn’t that big of a deal so the mutagen gives you net +1 to hit factoring in the lost BAB, -1 will, and -1 perception.

Seems like taking EA to four at full BAB to get Arcana and second level spells or just Fighter for a bazillion feats would be better.

Last edited:
I got through the Spider caves last night. They were much larger and more difficult than the original setup. I played the game a tiny bit after it came out (mostly to mess with character builder), and I stopped after the spider caves. I was actually pressed pretty hard to use my consumables, which were essential in making it through. That is a very rare feat for a game. The spider swarms were much harder than they were originally. My party was pretty weak to attempt the whole cave in one shot, but it was worth it. Only had to reload once, which was after initially meeting the first swarm. So far, I've had an impression that this will be a good game, but after slugging my way through that spider cave I am feeling very good about it. Not sure if Linzi will make the cut. She may be getting a level of Serpentine Sorc., in order to remain present.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Why the Vivi? You don’t get DEX to damage and AC isn’t that big of a deal so the mutagen gives you net +1 to hit factoring in the lost BAB, -1 will, and -1 perception.
Other than +1d6 sneak dice, if you take the vivi levels after reaching rogue 10 you can use the vivi combat trick for an advanced rogue talent, that's how I got 3 instead of 2. Not saying that this makes too much of a difference either way, you might just as well take 2 ES or EA levels. You've got enough feats, the bow stuff, plus shatter line of feats, no need for fighter imo.

Desiderius

Patron
Other than +1d6 sneak dice, if you take the vivi levels after reaching rogue 10 you can use the vivi combat trick for an advanced rogue talent, that's how I got 3 instead of 2. Not saying that this makes too much of a difference either way, you might just as well take 2 ES or EA levels. You've got enough feats, the bow stuff, plus shatter line of feats, no need for fighter imo.

Ah, nice. I’m biased against taking a 3/4 BAB class without getting all four, plus every min/maxxer puts vivi into everything now. Those advanced rogue talents are very nice.

Someone asked about broken bows. I’m getting them from the north narlmarches artisan. They may be gated behind repairing the Temple of the Elk, which lets you get immunity to poison on all claimed lands (depths is in north narlmarches), so I prioritize completing that. The bows were what made me want to get Octavia up to snuff to use them in the first place.

If you’re not getting the bows I can see why that would be less of a priority.

deuxhero

Arcane
Just fuck the name knowing Soul Eater fights. This fight pisses me off because they're completely immune to any non-instant spell effect that doesn't cause a condition. An enemy that can only be damaged by one character? Sure, fine, whatever. An enemy that can only be damaged by the main character is bad design (especially since the tomb locks you inside and you can't prepare for this without reloading and abusing metaknowledge), but not realizing that half the damage spells in the game just plain old won't work on them because of crappy program? Just fuck whoever made it.

First time I put myself and Linzi in the gap and stuffed the enterance with allies the souleaters couldn't pass. Linzi's died quick enough to her bow, but mine I had to kill with 51 rounds of acid splash because sirroco, acid pit, obsidian flow and all the other damage spells I had arbitrarily didn't work because the fight is programed by an idiot. After I accentally quick loaded instead of f12, I just opened bag of tricks and console killed them. I simply didn't give a fuck about that shitty fight anymore.

purpleblob

Savant
You can choose which characters will be fighting those soul eaters via dialogue choices. I wasn't too happy with that encounter either but you seem to take it to extreme.

deuxhero

Arcane
You can, but there's no way to avoid the main character fighting one. That itself is pure bullshit because you can take steps to avoid saying your name, but they don't matter because the sisters know it and shout it anyways.

Edit: I found a secret area in an text adventure in Vordaki's tomb. I mistakenly clicked the exit back to where I came from and there's no way back. Was there anything important in there? Any way to teleport to it (bag of tricks cheats included)

Last edited:

entr0py

Scholar
You can, but there's no way to avoid the main character fighting one. That itself is pure bullshit because you can take steps to avoid saying your name, but they don't matter because the sisters know it and shout it anyways.

Edit: I found a secret area in an text adventure in Vordaki's tomb. I mistakenly clicked the exit back to where I came from and there's no way back. Was there anything important in there? Any way to teleport to it (bag of tricks cheats included)

I think thats the part where you can fight a couple of pretty strong demons if you chose to remove the eyes of the statue in there. Each "eye" can be sold for 21K and the fight is quite a fun challenge.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I think thats the part where you can fight a couple of pretty strong demons if you chose to remove the eyes of the statue in there. Each "eye" can be sold for 21K and the fight is quite a fun challenge.
Or you can take the evil option and get a small permanent buff to your skills or saves, don't remember the exact details.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Or you can take the evil option and get a small permanent buff to your skills or saves, don't remember the exact details.
+2 to saves, and 5 acid resistance, I believe. You have to have used the other demon altars (sacrificing blood from one of your characters or, if you're smart, jaethal) first though.

I prefer the xp from the fight. (The rubies are a good source of cash too but it's not like cash is hard to come by.)

filpan

Scholar
I have been enjoying the game for the past 3 months, to me the best cRPG since that golden age (end of last century/beginning of current one) and I have just started the House at the end of time. And then I uninstalled the game.

deuxhero

Arcane

No, I've been there and done that area. That's on the second floor. The area I couldn't get back to was on the first.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have been enjoying the game for the past 3 months, to me the best cRPG since that golden age (end of last century/beginning of current one) and I have just started the House at the end of time. And then I uninstalled the game.
It is not nearly as bad as Deep Caverns. You people are just cucks.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have just started the House at the end of time. And then I uninstalled the game.

I cheated on my first run(bag of tricks) but on my second, i passed the BS legit. There are YT videos showing how to get the third key. But i agree. Worst dungeon by far in any game...

3D art is absolutely something they need more of. This game's bestiary is so limited.

Yep, but considering how much little budget they had, what they did with bestiary was not bad IMO. Since PfKm 1 is heavily influenced by feyfolk, imagine if PfKM story is heavily impacted by Abaddon and the "soul trade"( https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/the-planes/#TOC-Abaddon-Neutral-Evil- ) or maybe Elysium,

Desiderius

Patron
Does anyone actually think it's fun or interesting to have to cast a bunch of buffs on your entire party after every time you go to a new map or rest?
If so, do you enjoy eating paint chips?

You don’t have to. Different builds/parties require more buffs than others. Pal is widely derided but she includes in her auras things you’d otherwise need to cast like immunity to death (for hospitaler). You can also get immunity to poison in claimed lands pretty early. You can carry around scrolls for infrequently needed buffs to free up spell slots for action and cut down on just in case buffing.

If you don’t want to buff, play pal and no pets or magi tanks. Jaethal is similar with her immunities. Skills like Aldori Dueling mastery give you permashield so you never have to cast one (you can for a boss fight to up it another two if you feel like it). There is a ring that does the same thing with some DR.

It’s a trade off.

deuxhero

Arcane
In the Abandoned Keep there's a map of Numeria that seems to be unique (I totally missed the technic league camp so there may be a copy there too). It's impossible to see fully with unmodded camera due to angle and size, but some basic camera mods latter
9AED517F2258CEA333005C6682446A7EEF5F2927

Aldronard's Grave (the map has a typo) is a rundown keep that's only populated by travellers just stopping by (meaning very minor and not a threat or worth putting on a map of this detail), only mentioned in the Iron Gods AP (it's not mentioned in the country's setting book). The AP doesn't give a map of its location but says it's "Located on the west bank of the Sellen River directly across from Scrapwall". Notice it's pretty far off from that location here, which seems to be an intentional choice. An odd level of detail for something so minor. With this and the heavy references to Numeria beyond what was in the original AP, I really see it indicating they want to do Iron Gods as their next game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom