Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
When is it coming out:
1) Available for purchase
Now, if you donate $30+ towards development, or spend $30+ on my patreon.

2) Available for playing
Most likely around 2030 if I keep doing it part-time. 2025 if I drop my day job and somehow manage to make a living with my patreon or crowdfund it, find a publisher, etc. A demo coming out most likely to patrons in a year or so.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Kickstarter need to allow your country, that would save the day. I think a lot of people would pay for this.

Andhaira

Arcane
Rhuantavan Looks sweet. However are enemies going to be static figures that remain in the same place until you happen to come across them? I know that's how it was in BaK & BaA & it was my biggest peeve about those games, but considering the tools available even to an indie dev today perhaps you can figure out something better; animated enemies that can move across the map and come across you rather than the other way around.

By the way what was your opinion about Betrayal at Antara? I feel it was terribly underappreciated; I enjoyed it and was engrossed by the story. It was buggy true but definitely not unplayable. Only problem was compatibility; never found a way to run it later on in the 2000s.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Rhuantavan Looks sweet. However are enemies going to be static figures that remain in the same place until you happen to come across them? I know that's how it was in BaK & BaA & it was my biggest peeve about those games, but considering the tools available even to an indie dev today perhaps you can figure out something better; animated enemies that can move across the map and come across you rather than the other way around.

Well, I did take photos for producing walking animations, so I bet I can somehow improve what BaK (&BiA) did. :)

The plan is it to have the enemies move across the world, but still limit them to a certain area (like they have a lair nearby, or they are camping, or laying an ambush, etc), so I can control where encounters happen. This is something I plan on having implemented very soon, as it’s on my immediate to-do list.

By the way what was your opinion about Betrayal at Antara? I feel it was terribly underappreciated; I enjoyed it and was engrossed by the story. It was buggy true but definitely not unplayable. Only problem was compatibility; never found a way to run it later on in the 2000s.

I don’t really have much praise for that game, in fact I really don’t have anything nice to say about it.

It feels (and probably is) rushed both in world-building and gameplay. The writing is amateurish, the voice acting is bad, combat encounters are too frequent and trashy, the color scheme... brown.

I really tried to like it, have installed it on several occasions, forced myself to play it through, but couldn’t get past the 10 hr mark or so. Dunno, I’ll stop here. :)

P.S. You should have the GOG version running in no time.

garren

Arcane
Patron
The plan is it to have the enemies move across the world, but still limit them to a certain area (like they have a lair nearby, or they are camping, or laying an ambush, etc), so I can control where encounters happen. This is something I plan on having implemented very soon, as it’s on my immediate to-do list.
How do ambushes work? Is there any chance to notice them yourself instead of being invisible in a fixed location and the party has a dice roll to notice them (depending on stats of course)? Can ambush areas move around? Can one enemy group move normally on a map and maybe become an ambushing party at a certain point according to a schedule? Do they camp at night so you can ambush them? Sorry it's a lot of questions :D

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
How do ambushes work? Is there any chance to notice them yourself instead of being invisible in a fixed location and the party has a dice roll to notice them (depending on stats of course)? Can ambush areas move around? Can one enemy group move normally on a map and maybe become an ambushing party at a certain point according to a schedule? Do they camp at night so you can ambush them? Sorry it's a lot of questions :D

I actually have 0 lines of code for ambushing in yet, but design-wise, all enemy encounters are pre-defined, ambushes included. Of course if your scout/stealth skills are high enough, you might be able to notice the enemy, and not get surprised. Heck, having a message pop up, where you can decide if you want to ambush the ambushers, or avoid them altogether might be a thing I could implement simply enough. Enemies will not likely travel on the map, as I prefer having complete control on the ideal locations to stage combats. If they do camp at night, so you can ambush them? Well, that sounds like a good idea, so why not?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Will there be alternative methods of raising skills, apart from usage? Like a hidden master's hut, or paid training?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Will there be alternative methods of raising skills, apart from usage? Like a hidden master's hut, or paid training?

But of course. Trainers, books, etc.

What if the ambushers notice you trying to ambush them, would they ambush you again then ?

I'd prefer to not have an infinite loop, if possible. ;) So, you either get ambushed, or you ambush them, right?

This is the most beautiful computer graphics I ever seen.

:love:

Hey Rhuantavan how's the trailer creation going? ;)

Hey! How do you... oh. :obviously:

Trailer-wise, I've fought with Unity's Cinemachine thingie today, and won the fight. So, I am hastily assembling something together to be presentable to the panel of judges accepting indie game entries to the SGC conference.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Kickstarter need to allow your country, that would save the day. I think a lot of people would pay for this.

Nah, if they ever do that kickstarter would be flooded by 3rd world scammers. Bad enough that some of them could already run with the money because they had US citizenship, like those AirBnB dudes.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
These screens are new, no?

Could be! :D

I really like the look of the game but that river turning at a straight angle....

Yeah, that's a... that's a unique phenomena found only on this world. It is caused by gods not taking their time when shaping the world. It is especially prominent with rivers.

EDIT: Also, that's content already overshadowing the graphics.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom