Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Right after the dream sequence the game tells you to press a button to bring up the help screen and you should definitely pay attention to everything it says. :M

Vatnik Wumao
HKch0gn.jpg

Nothing to see here, folks.

Later on my trusty hound also developed an addiction to cigs (or was it whiskey?) if I'm not mistaken.

thesecret1

Arcane
Can't say I enjoyed this. Combat is awful, but rare enough that it doesn't become a majort bother, but the real problem is with the writing (where the meat of the game is). First you get some random paper which means you can say the main plot goodbye for a long while, while you do what's essentially side quests to proceed. You are met by stuff from Lovecraft's works that's by and large copy pasted (there's taking stuff from the setting, and there's slavishly copying it. Terrible Old Man was particularly unimaginative - the only significant change from the original was leaving out all the racism, as the original story is basically Lovecraft bitching about the damn immigrant scum), the dialogues aren't memorable in any way, and really, I felt more like I was in a Lovecraft themepark than in an RPG. Couldn't force myself to finish the game, cannot recommend it

Silva

Arcane
Can't say I enjoyed this. Combat is awful, but rare enough that it doesn't become a majort bother, but the real problem is with the writing (where the meat of the game is). First you get some random paper which means you can say the main plot goodbye for a long while, while you do what's essentially side quests to proceed. You are met by stuff from Lovecraft's works that's by and large copy pasted (there's taking stuff from the setting, and there's slavishly copying it. Terrible Old Man was particularly unimaginative - the only significant change from the original was leaving out all the racism, as the original story is basically Lovecraft bitching about the damn immigrant scum), the dialogues aren't memorable in any way, and really, I felt more like I was in a Lovecraft themepark than in an RPG. Couldn't force myself to finish the game, cannot recommend it
Yeah, the Lovecraft theme-park point is valid. I've found the game actually begins to diminish this feeling and rise on it's own shoulders precisely by its end (with the cult and hospital parts), which is a shame.

In the end, the game succeeds or fails by it's C&C and how much each player values it. Again, it reminds me of Arcanum - a strong premise with a strong C&C, but actual setting and writing that's nothing to write home about.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The theme park setup wouldn't be too bad if there was a more reasonable explanation for why all these monsters are turning up.

Say, for example, if the Mi-Go came to Arkham to harvest the strange rocks in Blasted Street. Ghouls turn up because there are tons of corpses and the dholes (no doubt that's what the tremors indicate) drove them from their underground lair.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
What part of the combat was awful, it has pretty good combat in my experience

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It controls badly and isn't challenging at all. The combat feats are essentially traps. The AI is also nonexistent.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
It controls badly and isn't challenging at all. The combat feats are essentially traps. The AI is also nonexistent.
Good doesn't always mean challenging, if we are talking mechanically I think it's pretty sound, also I think there is some challenging combat in the game, if you try to fight the cultists in front of the theatre for example

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For all the criticism about the combat, it's light years better than Arcanum and Planescape.
One could argue that it'd be more tolerable if there was an option to significantly increase animation speed (in addition to their plans of dealing with combat looting).

Silva

Arcane
For all the criticism about the combat, it's light years better than Arcanum and Planescape.
One could argue that it'd be more tolerable if there was an option to significantly increase animation speed (in addition to their plans of dealing with combat looting).
Agree, but see: with the speed-up patch Stygian becomes okayish. Arcanum combat is mediocre no matter how many fan patches are made, and PS:T doesn't even enter the discussion. Ergo, Stygian has the better combat of the three.

Mediocre TB combat never jives with me. TB is one of those things that should either be masterfully implemented, or not at all, lest it becomes a sickening slog-fest of frustration. I hate how slow everything always moves in indie-TBs, it really does bother me. I'd take terrible (and believe me they are terrible) Arcanum and PST RT combat any time over dumb TB.

thesecret1

Arcane
Mediocre TB combat never jives with me. TB is one of those things that should either be masterfully implemented, or not at all, lest it becomes a sickening slog-fest of frustration. I hate how slow everything always moves in indie-TBs, it really does bother me. I'd take terrible (and believe me they are terrible) Arcanum and PST RT combat any time over dumb TB.
I agree. With RT, boring combat is at least done with quickly, but with TB, you got to waste so much time going through the motions.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I delivered the parts to Stanley. Do I have to fight the Migo? Is it part of the main quest? At first I chose to go with it and the game ended so I guess that's one of the endings.

Edit: well, it flies off after you do enough damage. Don't think it can be killed.

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yes the game is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Of course it marks 60 FPS on my meter since I have a decent PC (well a decent GPU), but still it's slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
God that Sleeper fight is such shit.
That soldier going berserk (despite getting every perk to reduce the chance of berserking) and shooting me in the back, MC panicking and critically hitting Outsider with the shovel then running in a group of enemies. I know about the panic immunity opium but I have to use it before the Sleeper casts the spell and I don't know when he plans to do it. If I try to use it after the spell was cast, it fails or it says that only half the effects were applied. If I apply it in the beginning I get to go 2 or 3 turns without worry but after that it's back to panic mode.
Also lol at when trying to do stuff while panicked, the most hilarious things happen: dropping your weapon, stumbling and falling, trying to fist the enemy or one of the party members etc.
Outside of characters not responding during combat for no reason or AI freezes during its turn you better hope you have occultism or some kind of combat option selected because you will need it.
Trying to dig it out (I wanted to see what happens) is an exercise in frustration, just use Spit of Azai and be done with it. It doesn't have much HP, 2 casts are enough.
Also another thing, if you rush your characters in that enclosure where the Sleeper and his minions are and if you kill the guys around it, the new enemies that spawn won't do anything, they just stay where they spawn, making the fight much more manageable.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I had really high hopes for this game after trying out the demo. It's a damn shame it ended up being pretty much incomplete, ending at a pretty arbitrary point with no real conclusion. It also hurts the gameplay hard since a lot of game mechanics were clearly designed with a longer game in mind. All in all it's okay, but could have been so much more. I seriously doubt we will ever get more of it. Releasing a half-assed product with the hopes of releasing another one in the future to complement it rarely ends well. It will most likely fade into obscurity soon.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, are there any other patches to be released any time soon?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom