Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Child of Malkav

Erudite
And doing 'Board errands' for main quest nets you a free navkey to Monarch - letting you complete Phineas' request - so net gain of 200k EXP and 10k+ bits over a few talking and a single kill quest.

Congratulations you hit level 15 (cap is 30) without killing any more than 10 dudes tops under 1 hour.

Where does one find those "board errands" ? I've explored Groundbreaker and haven't found those, did I miss them?
Think he's referring to the quests in Byzantium, as there are quite a few.

Deleted Member 16721

Mod the AR damage type to electricity (or plasma if you want). Note also that most bots are weak to electricity and most critters are weak to plasma.

Damage type is already plasma, isn't it? Red balls shoot out of it. I noticed it's decent against armored automechanicals but not entirely ideal, but you can take down an armored sentry bot in less than a full clip at least. With the AR it was taking clip after clip, I needed to mod damage type to electricity apparently.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I felt ambivalent about the Board first, in terms of good and evil. I thought that was the moral grey area and layers of subtexts and motivations that made choosing sides a rather complex decision until Obisidan removed all doubt and threw in two particular quests in their path.

One being to exterminate Emerald Vale residents/dissidents taking a page out of Spacer's Choice insurance claim plot on the geothermal plant; hacked automechanicals. The other one being almost a throwaway mission dealing with early retirement in Byzantine.

The early retirement quest is so weird. I expected being able to confront someone about it, talk to someone about it - eventhough it was super obvious and telegraphed, it seemed like one of the most important "discoveries" in the game, but nothing at all came of it. So bizzare. Lack of dev time I guess.

JDR13

Arcane

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Playing as a diplomatic thief (basically sneak, hacking, lock picking, persuasion) with Felix and Parvati (for their bonuses) while doing a no kill/no detection run is....... actually fun. Level design really shines in some places and many if not all quests can be solved using one of the dialogue skills. Although I'm missing out on xp by not doing quests which require killing. But still, quite fun after the boredom of the first playthrough.

Codex Year of the Donut
Playing as a diplomatic thief (basically sneak, hacking, lock picking, persuasion) with Felix and Parvati (for their bonuses) while doing a no kill/no detection run is....... actually fun. Level design really shines in some places and many if not all quests can be solved using one of the dialogue skills. Although I'm missing out on xp by not doing quests which require killing. But still, quite fun after the boredom of the first playthrough.
Most of the quests are actually pretty well designed(not to be confused with well written)
The game almost feels bipolar with how it switches from good content to shit content so fast.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's the transcript: https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...nteractive-software-inc-ttwo-q2-2020-ear.aspx

On October 25, Private Division launched The Outer Worlds for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, The Outer Worlds marks the reunion of Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, the original creators of Fallout, who have introduced an entirely new single player sci-fi RPG experience, a critical and commercial success, The Outer Worlds is exceeding our expectations and reviews have been outstanding, with GameSpot giving the game 9 out of 10, Game Informer 9.25 out of 10, and EGM a perfect 5 out of 5. In early 2020, The Outer Worlds will be released for Nintendo Switch.

The Outer Worlds expected to earn more than Borderlands 3 in Q3 2020:

Now I will review the highlights of our fiscal 2020 financial outlook, starting with the third quarter. We project net bookings to range from $860 million to $910 million. Tthe largest contributor to net bookings are expected to be NBA 2K20, Grand Theft Auto Online, and Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online, The Outer Worlds, Borderlands 3, and the WWE 2K-series. We project recurrent consumer spending to grow by approximately 5%. This growth is affected by the difficult comparison due to the allocation from the Red Dead Redemption 2 premium editions last year. Growth is expected to be driven by Grand Theft Auto Online, Red Dead Online, excluding last year's allocation and NBA 2K.

But not for the full fiscal year:

Turning to our outlook for the full fiscal year, we are raising our operating outlook as a result of our better-than-expected second quarter operating results and improved net bookings outlook for the balance of the year. We now expect net bookings to range from $2.75 billion to $2.85 billion, up from our prior outlook of $2.6 billion to $2.7 billion. The increase beyond the second quarter beat is driven primarily by improved expectations for Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V and Borderlands 3, partially offset by the move of Karbel Space Program 2 into fiscal 2021.

The largest contributor to net bookings are expected to be NBA 2K, Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V, Borderlands 3, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online, The Outer Worlds, Sid Meier's Civilization VI, and the WWE 2K-series. We expect the net bookings breakdown from our label to be roughly 60% 2K, 30% Rockstar Games, and 10% Private Division, Social Point and other. And we forecast our geographic net bookings split to be about 60% United States and 40% international.

Eric Handler -- MKM Partners -- Analyst

Good evening and thank you for the questions. Two quick things. First, with Outer Worlds, I believe you said it was track -- it was selling ahead of expectations. Wonder if you might be able to put some actual numbers to that, if you don't mind?

Strauss Zelnick -- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Hey Eric. It's Strauss. On Outer Worlds, we're not releasing any specific numbers yet, it's outperforming our expectations handily, got amazing reviews we're super excited about it, but it's very, very early. So as we learn more, we will disclose more.

Deleted Member 16721

Just visited Scylla. Cool place. They really outdid themselves with the graphics and environment art. Found a science weapon, do I need to show it to a scientist?

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Scylla is the best looking one, true. That skybox.

39452721.26_image.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find it interesting that Tim Cain would say this:

"This is the form of a game I love to play," he says. "It's not necessarily open world, because we get tighter control over what kind of narrative we tell. Hub and spoke, is what a lot of people call it. First-person gives us a cool immersion.

That sentence: "First-person gives us a cool immersion." One could interpret that as Tim saying: First-person is just for the "coolness" - it's not crucial or critical to my vision of the game.

If The Outer Worlds is a successor to both New Vegas and games like Mass Effect, perhaps Tim sees it as more of the latter?

Quillon

Arcane

"This is the form of a game I love to play," he says. "It's not necessarily open world, because we get tighter control over what kind of narrative we tell. Hub and spoke, is what a lot of people call it. First-person gives us a cool immersion.

That sentence: "First-person gives us a cool immersion." One could interpret that as Tim saying: First-person is just for the "coolness" - it's not crucial or critical to my vision of the game.

If The Outer Worlds is a successor to both New Vegas and games like Mass Effect, perhaps Tim sees it as more of the latter?

And he doesn't seem to think NPC schedules' worth implementing/finds it annoying cos shops are closed at certain times :P

https://youtu.be/6CrX9B3HQAw?t=2733

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

If the next game is more like Mass effect and less New Vegas how the world works would be much better. Just like the worst part of both of New Vegas and now TOW was exploration and the open world. If smaller hub based world like Mass effect means the best part of this game can be done even better , reactivity, CnC and companions, i'm all in for it.

Hot Coldman

Educated

If the next game is more like Mass effect and less New Vegas how the world works would be much better. Just like the worst part of both of New Vegas and now TOW was exploration and the open world. If smaller hub based world like Mass effect means the best part of this game can be done even better , reactivity, CnC and companions, i'm all in for it.

You have faith in another Obsidian computer RPG, say, TOW2, when their goal is to appeal to "normys" ? ,-)

LudensCogitet

Learned
Except for the Codex, all I'm really seeing is praise for TOW. Not only that, the praise they are giving it is exactly what I would want TOW to be. If I wasn't playing it myself I would be even more excited for it than I was before release.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, because the game just doesn't seem to be the good things people are saying it is.

Every quest seems like equally generic dialogue choices, a shootout, and a fetch away from completion. No skill / perk / attribute / equipment choice seems to make a difference. The writing is flat. My character has no compelling reason to do anything.

Yet people are saying the opposite.

Baffling.

Trashos

Arcane
Why would people complain the board is "too evil" in this game? Aren't siding with them suppose to be the evil path? Feels like complain a star war game to not have morally grey sith lords.

I don't know if they are too evil, but was it supposed to be about good vs evil?

Take Underrail's Protectorate vs Free Drones factions. Who are the good and who are the evil? You are allowed to judge, but the game doesn't judge them for you.

The current board is clearly evil, there is no denying that it's the purpose of Obsidian to show them in that way. The place where you can make your own judge here is whether the board's rule can work or not, when you change the current ones into some better and more capable people.

Well, that answers your initial question, then. Some people are complaining that the Board is too evil, because they wanted them more grey than that. While I haven't played TOW, Obsidian games often have grey factions against less grey ones, and they confuse people.

Hot Coldman

Educated
Except for the Codex, all I'm really seeing is praise for TOW. Not only that, the praise they are giving it is exactly what I would want TOW to be. If I wasn't playing it myself I would be even more excited for it than I was before release.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, because the game just doesn't seem to be the good things people are saying it is.

Every quest seems like equally generic dialogue choices, a shootout, and a fetch away from completion. No skill / perk / attribute / equipment choice seems to make a difference. The writing is flat. My character has no compelling reason to do anything.

Yet people are saying the opposite.

Baffling.

Look, this game appeals to people who aren't enthusiastic about RPGs, tabletop or computer. There's your anwer

Deleted Member 16721

You guys are the ones taking crazy pills. The game is awesome. Maybe you just secretly hate successful devs and people enjoying RPGs. You probably also hate RPGs if you don't like this game. Grow up. Adapt or be left in the dust. You're all too rigid. Weirdos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom