Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Old Hans

Arcane
I have never mentioned it on the Codex but one of the scariest things I have ever strongly desired to make a survival horror game about was the Heaven's Gate cult and Marshall Applewhite.

The idea that a guy could talk you into cutting your own testicles off and get you to take potassium cyanide is really, really disturbing to me.

I had a dream about it back in 2010 and always wanted to make a survival horror game about it.

that wasnt a dream. That was applewhite sending you communications from aboard the The Monastery mothership.

Fireblade

Erudite
Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Previously in the old Grimoire thread, it was established from sources such as the UPI article and a Nik Cohn book that you're originally from the Richmond VA area and born around 1964.

In front of the US House of Representatives in 1991, as part of a hearing on NEA funding, a literature professor from Virginia, Henry Taylor, told a tale about a poem written by a fourth-grader from Virginia named Cleveland Blakemore in 1972, which he uses to embarrass his graduate students.

Full text of his remarks

Is this you? The legend grows.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This professor kept Cleve's school poem ("that he wrote in 5 minutes") for 20 years, read it to his graduate university students to humiliate them and then in front of Congress. And he mentions in a footnote of his testimony that Cleve still has the copyright to the poem:

cleve.jpg

https://books.google.es/books?id=J62nHFyWMjkC&pg=PA158&dq="cleveland+blakemore"&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjgpufi89rlAhVLxIUKHbxRDvsQ6AEIMjAB#v=onepage&q="cleveland blakemore"&f=false

Unless it is a different Cleve Blakemore of a similar age and also from Virginia...

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I mean we already knew he was auteur based on his life's work of Grimoire. It shouldn't come as a surprise that he was already operating at a graduate level IQ in fourth grade.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This professor kept Cleve's school poem ("that he wrote in 5 minutes") for 20 years, read it to his graduate university students to humiliate them and then in front of Congress. And he mentions in a footnote of his testimony that Cleve still has the copyright to the poem:
How the fuck did you find this?

Fireblade

Erudite
Either this is some next level troll that I have never seen before, or this is one of the coolest things the Codex ever dug up.
Yeah, assuming this is really Cleve, which seems likely, it also seems likely that Cleve is the only Codex user to have had his excellence discussed in a Congressional hearing. Barbara Boxer, the retired senator from California (but at the time a House representative), seemed quite pleased with his poem.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleveland Mark Blakemore, can you confirm or deny being a fourth grader in Charlottesville, VA in 1972?

You guys don't know any of the back story. Just imagine me as a fourth grader like CHARLIE in FIRESTARTER being hooked up to an EEG machine in a deep underground secret facility slowly being tortured while they apply small electric shocks to my testicles to "make me say something smart." Drenched in sweat, when I relented and finally scrawled a poem on a napkin with my one free hand and Henry Taylor stepped forward and said "I'll use this in my congressional testimony, don't kill this Neanderthal yet, he may prove further useful to us," you will have a much better picture of the context the poem was written in.

"Zebras. They should have given me something harder."

holy fucking shit, what kind of idiotic autism simulator is this? in my 20 minutes long encounter i've managed only to turn the volume off, be forced to be thrown into action with a party i didn't know, go back and create three characters. "yes, the description of the skaven says they're assassins, but you can't pick that. no, i won't tell you why". i get it's due to bonus points: "here, have three rolls but if you want more you must recreate from scratch". shit balls, even zangband gets how retarded this is and gives you an autoroller for maximum approximation without too much extreme minmaxing.
no info on stats, skills, barely on races, it asks me to pick spells by knowing only their names. and if i recall correctly, no manual. and i got the mouse bug on top of all this.
i should have known all the enthusiasm was sarcastic. i am disappoint.

still, while you addressed a very minor inconvenience, all the retardness stands tall, high and mighty, towering but ignoring 30 years of technological progress. while it might be fun to drive a ford t for a mile or two, it's not sign of great intelligence shouting at the world after that trip "the ford t is the fastest, safest and most comfortable car in the world".

Butter

Arcane
Patron
still, while you addressed a very minor inconvenience, all the retardness stands tall, high and mighty, towering but ignoring 30 years of technological progress. while it might be fun to drive a ford t for a mile or two, it's not sign of great intelligence shouting at the world after that trip "the ford t is the fastest, safest and most comfortable car in the world".
This is a retarded comparison. Grimoire is more like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_German, where a modern-day filmmaker deliberately made something that looked anachronistic. Film-making technology has improved since the 1940s, but it's largely a matter of taste whether you prefer old films to new ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom