Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

the precursors

Codex Year of the Donut
is the audio supposed to be in russian?

Wesp5

Arcane
is the audio supposed to be in russian?

Yes, there never were English voice-overs. But we found rough English text already done, which I restored and improved upon in the patch! It's like a Russian version of The Outer Worlds, only with vehicles and without agendas :). And indeed the ending hints at that Deep Shadows were forced to release the game even more unfinished than Bloodlines! Sadly there are not enough tools and there is not enough content to restore the two missing endgame planets...

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
press 0 or press one of the numbers for an empty quick-access slot. i bought xenus 2 and precursors from some russian site years ago and had to justify why to my credit union i was buying something from russia. i know em in and out

Codex Year of the Donut
press 0 or press one of the numbers for an empty quick-access slot. i bought xenus 2 and precursors from some russian site years ago and had to justify why to my credit union i was buying something from russia. i know em in and out
how do I enable my flashlight? It got dark and I can't see shit, can't seem to equip it.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
how do I enable my flashlight? It got dark and I can't see shit, can't seem to equip it.

it might be f? check the keybindings in options

Codex Year of the Donut

it might be f? check the keybindings in options
Flashlight makes everything go from dark to completely white. This game is russian quality.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
welllll, it was made by a bunch of ex-GSC Game World devs; the lead software engineer who worked on Codename: Outbreak left GSC after he finished it and went on to form Deep Shadows and made a bunch of insanely ambitious and zero-budget fps-rpg games

precursors is typical ukrainian slavclunk, but it's still a good deus ex-alike

Never finished it but I remember it being a good and comfy space game. Don't remember why I didn't actually finish. I went to the jungle planet with the bird-like aliens, to the Mars-ish planet with the corp war and mech, and to some desolate planet with a forest? and abandoned buildings. Not sure what percent of the way through that is. Didn't help that the cutscenes' subtitles weren't working so I was missing out on most of the story.

I had fun, though.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
MobyGames says the devs behind this worked on gothic 4 Arcania, is that right?

I think this is a MobyGames mistake. If you go to the Arcania game pages another developer is listed! As far as I know Deep Shadows only did some puzzle adventure games after The Precursors which is a shame...

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
this came out recently. thank you wesp5 for continuing to patch some ultra-obscure deus ex clone years after it came out

No problem! I always want to continue that patch to at least get it to 2.0 ;), but Bloodlines still keeps me busy and I recently noticed that the SDK won't work under Windows 10 anymore, so I will have to look into that first. I really wish that DeepShadows would make a sequel to finish the story! The Outer Worlds clearly showed that there is a market for weird science ficition space opera FPS RPG hybrids :).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like Wesp5 fulfilled his promise and recently released version 2.0 :salute:

If anybody's interested to play this game nowadays, this is all I suggest you do

1. Install the game on Steam.

2. Download and install the Unofficial Patch v. 2.0 which fixes an enormous amount of bugs and includes translation of cutscenes to English.
Link: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-precursors-unofficial-patch/downloads/the-precursors-unofficial-patch-20

3. Download and install film grain removal and AMD flickering fix.
Link: https://www.moddb.com/games/the-precursors/addons/no-film-grain-fix

Just copy the .txt files into the game's ..\postprocess folder

i remember nothing of this game, but now it's on offer and with an inert starforce it might turn interesting, IF: i'm expecting something along the lines of parkan 2, i want to fly around, shoot stuff both on foot and on ship and to keep upgrading equipment and hardware. is it the right game, or does it use a more linear approach?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
no, it's not like parkan 2. it's more like deus ex.. or ubisoft's nufar cry, depending on who you ask

so not enough focus on space and trade? shame. then why has this been praised so much to begin with? the amount of bugs and lack of polacks doesn't seem to balance out its scope.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I got this on a whim (with the lastest 2.1 patch) and I'm enjoying the jank, but the most annoying thing is that y axis mouse movement is much faster than x - does anyone know if there's like an ini tweak for that or something?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
So this is now on sale at 65% off:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom