Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Game is carried by its art and presentation.
And even then they couldn't be bothered to animate it properly. Or have a proper battlefield to move around on... And so on.

I guess it filled the void left by newgrounds-style flashgames or something.

the_shadow

Arcane
Not sure why so many people complain about 'grinding'.

The only thing you have to 'grind' in the game is your knowledge. DD has a very gradual learning curve. Every time you jump up a difficulty you have to learn a little bit more to progress. Gold and Resolve points are really easy to make if you don't mess up too badly, and you won't mess up too badly if you know what you're doing. 95%+ of my losses were due to ignorance and poor decisions.

You start off learning the basic mechanics (which are admittedly pretty simple) in beginner dungeons, learn how to interact with Curios (don't put that torch in the Eldritch shrine!), what to bring on short/medium/long expeditions, and what tactics work best on the bosses. Veterans dungeons are where you start to learn when to run away and abandon a mission, as well as what skills are somewhat decent.

Champion dungeons are a big increase in difficulty. At that point you need to learn what combinations of characters work best, and what skills are best for each situation. Accuracy and debuff spells become far, far more important, you learn how to judiciously make use of characters who have Guard and Mark, and how to 'dance' characters so that they can make use of powerful skills that cause shuffling. You mix and match different characters in different positions for each hub, and try different trinkets. The long Champion missions which net you an Ancestral Trinket are a further increase in difficulty.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
While checking a few old files I saw my old saves and decided to try the latest build without the DLCs and gotta say that they have made some pretty great fine tuning and upgrades to the game to have it be less grindy and easier to get into... still hate the limited party item space (which I find very unenjoyable) but I have to say I had a lot of fun
Might buy the Crimson Court and other DLC when they have a good sale

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I was enjoying this so much that I got it for my ipad and have been having some great fun on my commutes to work... by far the best addition to make the game less grindy are the upgraded heroes (which come with appropriately leveled gear and skills) so you can easily get replacements for dead heroes and on the fly parties for low level dungeons in case you forgot to kill a lower level boss before or just want to get some money or upgrades without tackling a higher level dungeon
Also great are the town events which spice things up and give some cool options like extra characters, special quests and free upgrades and materials

All in all, alongside Battle Brothers (which would be right at home on Android and IOS) this game has taken its time with fixes and changes but so far might be the modern Kickstarter game that I have spent the most playtime with and I simply love it

vazha

Arcane
Gentlemen, any of you encountered a bug when the game crashes after completing a mission? Happened to my second savegame now, making the game unplayable. I do have some mods and some people on the internets say that might be causing it, but how do i determine which one in particular?

vazha

Arcane
So I shouldn't trouble myself with the costs of this crusade? That's harsh. Help, anyone!

vazha

Arcane
Well, no, but some mods are just too damn well-made to ignore. There's one, for example, that adds a fresh japan-themed dungeon - Sunward Isles. Superbly done. Then there are class and miniboss mods, and after hiring A FUCKING CONAN and vanquishing King Baldwin miniboss with him, getting back to your vanilla leper might seem redundant. And dont even get me started about the joys of hiring Ned Stark-inspired Warden (has a trinket that gives riposte on guard!) or running a full gundpowder team (Conquistador/Picaroon / Privateer / Cannoneer or Musceteer / Reaver )

Problem is, I dont have that many mods, probably about 25 in general (people seem to have no trouble with 200 and more) and havent added any for a while and until yesterday, everything ran smoothly. Then it happened, I deleted some mods I thought could be responsible and started a new game with a heavy heart. Everything was fine until this morninh when it randomly happened again.

Plox Halp!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Didn't play Darkest Dungeons for a long time (and don't plan to do it ever again) but usually, it's easy to find the troublemakers on nexus mods.

Not sure about this one but i know some games allow modders to sell their mods on steam workshop, making the mods unavailable elsewhere, in that case, it could be a problem because steamtards feedback wouldn't be very helpful.

So, first case scenario, check nexus bug reports and discussions for each mod, you'll spot the culprit, second case, you're fucked, just stop playing that thing already.

vazha

Arcane
Since the crash occurs randomly, and based on the internet search, can happen to vanilla as well, I think the only solution would be to keep the back up savegame files. A chore, but beats losing a 100 week progress. I figure if I have a crash, I could just load the back up save couple of weeks ago. Going to check out whether it works, will report here. It's mind-boggling how many people seem to have had this problem and there's no solution anywheres.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is vanilla so, so horrible?

No, but as pointed out by vazha mods make this game much more fun while keeping stuffs fresh. There are probably 2 dozens well made class mods and they alone already make the games fresher by having much more options for your team instead of having like 2 or 3 clones of the same class later in the game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
363B508A32D87DDFFC4DA8D5138AD05D756A4AE6

vazha

Arcane
UPD: right, gave it a go. Gorgeous art, if a bit too on animu side, I prefer DD's original medievalness. Gameplay-wise things are faring far worse - absurdly OP and very gimmicky, screaming for a stunlock party. Not worth keeping until (if) they balance it. I dont mind neither gimmicky nor a bit OP, but this has gone fill overboard with both.

vazha

Arcane
Just to inform you, my unmodded savegame (the one i was keeping backup files for) broke as well. I tried to load the backup, it lets me play just fine until week 30 and then the same thing happens again. At this rate, I might soon start believing in god, fate and such things.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I had crashes after every mission once. It began after i started The Color of Madness dlc iirc.

vazha

Arcane
This was the most fun I had with a game since Battle Brothers, goddammit. Really liked the atmosphere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom