Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, there's a few inventory QoL mods that also smooth things out. I think I also finally broke down and added stress heal to the Vestal's divine grace just so I'd have a bit more agency over party composition.
Crude is an understatement, now I'm reminded of how much of a pain in the ass it is to manage mods in DD. You get a tiny window listing mods and if something needs to be reordered you have to click and drag and if you have 100+ mods it becomes a nightmare. There's also a hard cap of how many overall objects the game can keep track off and it's really not that difficult to fill it up.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Crude is an understatement, now I'm reminded of how much of a pain in the ass it is to manage mods in DD. You get a tiny window listing mods and if something needs to be reordered you have to click and drag and if you have 100+ mods it becomes a nightmare. There's also a hard cap of how many overall objects the game can keep track off and it's really not that difficult to fill it up.

Look for Better Mod Menu in workshop

It fix the scrolling mod thing, require manual install of the file tho

Ended up picking up the DLC and launching Black Reliquary and it certainly seems okay but the bump in difficulty and extra fucky mechanics like the amber whatsit during combat didn't really appeal to me and the game lost a surprising amount with a different narrator and music. The narrator and music they have isn't even BAD, it's just that it was so damn good in DD1 it noticeably hurts to have the new mod stuff. So after playing a few hours of Black Reliquary I started up a fresh DD campaign and picked up a bunch of small quality of life mods and I'm having a great time. Wouldn't have expected small things like bumping the animation speeds a little would improve the experience so much but god damn it does. Knock the intro/company logo shit on the head too and I can go from desktop to DD in no time at all and it's been great for little bite-size dungeon runs as I'm doing other shit. It's strange since I still had something like 50 hours of DD played anyway and I wouldn't have thought the DLC and these mods would've gotten me playing it again so much but here we are.

Then I learned DD2's full release was coming up and I was considering picking that up since I'm feeling particularly good about DD at the moment and I see that's... A fair bit different. Sounds like short dungeon crawls are out and it's a couple of hours for a full run with the same team of heroes. Which might still be good, when I first played DD I sorta wanted something more like that rather than a long hamster wheel, but now I appreciate the hamster wheel since it's a good filler game. Starting to think I'll skip it just 'cause I'm currently having fun with the original again anyway and I'll probably be spending way too much fucking money on Diablo 4 in a month as it is.

Point of all this rambling though is thanks to Tweed and InD_ImaginE for bringing up quality of life mods, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone else that gets possessed by the urge to play DD again. Also gotta say crimson court's interesting even if it's kind of annoying, shieldbreaker inexplicably having nightmare snake ambushes is annoying but she seems obscenely good, and the flagellant was odd but he's growing on me a lot. Color out of space kinda seems like trash but I've only run it once, but if the whole thing is just "Get crystals to buy trinkets from this new crystal merchant" then meh.

CHEMS

Scholar
Ended up picking up the DLC and launching Black Reliquary and it certainly seems okay but the bump in difficulty and extra fucky mechanics like the amber whatsit during combat didn't really appeal to me and the game lost a surprising amount with a different narrator and music. The narrator and music they have isn't even BAD, it's just that it was so damn good in DD1 it noticeably hurts to have the new mod stuff. So after playing a few hours of Black Reliquary I started up a fresh DD campaign and picked up a bunch of small quality of life mods and I'm having a great time. Wouldn't have expected small things like bumping the animation speeds a little would improve the experience so much but god damn it does. Knock the intro/company logo shit on the head too and I can go from desktop to DD in no time at all and it's been great for little bite-size dungeon runs as I'm doing other shit. It's strange since I still had something like 50 hours of DD played anyway and I wouldn't have thought the DLC and these mods would've gotten me playing it again so much but here we are.

Then I learned DD2's full release was coming up and I was considering picking that up since I'm feeling particularly good about DD at the moment and I see that's... A fair bit different. Sounds like short dungeon crawls are out and it's a couple of hours for a full run with the same team of heroes. Which might still be good, when I first played DD I sorta wanted something more like that rather than a long hamster wheel, but now I appreciate the hamster wheel since it's a good filler game. Starting to think I'll skip it just 'cause I'm currently having fun with the original again anyway and I'll probably be spending way too much fucking money on Diablo 4 in a month as it is.

Point of all this rambling though is thanks to Tweed and InD_ImaginE for bringing up quality of life mods, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone else that gets possessed by the urge to play DD again. Also gotta say crimson court's interesting even if it's kind of annoying, shieldbreaker inexplicably having nightmare snake ambushes is annoying but she seems obscenely good, and the flagellant was odd but he's growing on me a lot. Color out of space kinda seems like trash but I've only run it once, but if the whole thing is just "Get crystals to buy trinkets from this new crystal merchant" then meh.
I think overall Black Reliquary is amazing, but we could do without the prep round stuff. It makes even the hallway encounters a slog, taking the fun of straight foward hard hitting comps. Also they butchered Shield Breaker, my god.

I see they toned down the fanservice a bit too with the steam release. I personally don't mind it, but i heard reddit fags were bitching about it

I think overall Black Reliquary is amazing, but we could do without the prep round stuff. It makes even the hallway encounters a slog, taking the fun of straight foward hard hitting comps. Also they butchered Shield Breaker, my god.
It's definitely extremely well made but you could be right. The prep round even sorta dovetails into the "Man I'm having more fun with DD with shit sped up" side of things too. The prep round's cool in theory since it gives you a bit more reason to want/use buffs and debuffs and then it's cool there are some skills that still work well during the prep round for a bit of damage but you're right in that it makes it more of a slog. And DD in general isn't really something I think of for strategic/tactical play which also could be why I bounced off of it, they were wanting a bit more depth rather than super light short dungeon crawls.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Also gotta say crimson court's interesting even if it's kind of annoying, shieldbreaker inexplicably having nightmare snake ambushes is annoying but she seems obscenely good, and the flagellant was odd but he's growing on me a lot. Color out of space kinda seems like trash but I've only run it once, but if the whole thing is just "Get crystals to buy trinkets from this new crystal merchant" then meh.

If you dislike the CC and CoM thingie, there is mod in the Workshop called Courtyard+ and Farmstead+ that makes them to spawn normal dungeon thing as well besiedes their gimmick dungeon style. Pretty much made the game to have 2 additional dungeon to play around with their own theme,

CHEMS

Scholar
Also gotta say crimson court's interesting even if it's kind of annoying, shieldbreaker inexplicably having nightmare snake ambushes is annoying but she seems obscenely good, and the flagellant was odd but he's growing on me a lot. Color out of space kinda seems like trash but I've only run it once, but if the whole thing is just "Get crystals to buy trinkets from this new crystal merchant" then meh.

If you dislike the CC and CoM thingie, there is mod in the Workshop called Courtyard+ and Farmstead+ that makes them to spawn normal dungeon thing as well besiedes their gimmick dungeon style. Pretty much made the game to have 2 additional dungeon to play around with their own theme,
Amazing mods, a must have in anymod list. There's other dungeon mods that are worth playing, Sunward Isles is professional tier. The Mountain is nice too, but not as polished as Sunward Isles.

It's definitely extremely well made but you could be right. The prep round even sorta dovetails into the "Man I'm having more fun with DD with shit sped up" side of things too. The prep round's cool in theory since it gives you a bit more reason to want/use buffs and debuffs and then it's cool there are some skills that still work well during the prep round for a bit of damage but you're right in that it makes it more of a slog. And DD in general isn't really something I think of for strategic/tactical play which also could be why I bounced off of it, they were wanting a bit more depth rather than super light short dungeon crawls.
Yeah, it's a shame. I really like how they made their "hamlet", but the prep round just don't work for me. Balance at Exposed Exterior is a bit off too... too many multiple hitting enemies, they all hit hard, have high dodge and most inflict bleed. Not to mention the extremely long hallways

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I wouldn't really mind the prep phase if it had more depth to it. As it stands it's mostly just a debuff spamming phase. At least that's how I view it right now.

CHEMS

Scholar
The best debuff is killing an enemy unit with a crit. :smug:

The acc redution on prep round means shit too, at exposed exterior maps, the enemy has acc so damn high that they'll frequently hit you hard during the prep round.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom