Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Üstad

Arcane
Most of tactical depth lies between match making your team, based on position and their abilities to make things that works. And understanding enemies composition of certain dungeon and bringing the right team. Most character usually at least has 2 working "build" depending on position and with 4 slot and 16 classes it is fun finding stuff that works.

Game is also insanely moddable and you can find gazzilion of high quality well designed mods on the workshops including new classes, dungeon, and bosses.

The game is not really deep, deep. But it is a fun one regardless.

Of course the game has negatives. On normal difficulty (Darkest) it is a bit grindy, but the catch is that the game has high amount of lethal RNG. If you lose your good team on a run then you grind from 0. But the easy difficulty (Radiant) essentially just speed the game up economically and exp wise and thus alleviate the grind. Most people agree that if you just looking to relax and enjoy what the game has to offer playing in Radiant is good.

Overall you can easily get your money worth of having 30 - 40 hours of entertainment. Just don't expect the game to have 600 hours of content like Celerity and then complain that it is utter shit.
I thought there is not positioning in the game. What is Celerity btw, never heard of it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought there is not positioning in the game. What is Celerity btw, never heard of it.

The game works on 2D axis of left and right. Every character has 8 abilities but you can only bring 4 to the dungeon (bar some special class). Depending if character is in front (right) middle or back (left) they can use different abilities. E.g. Crusader can be a frontliner who smack people or backliner semi support that reposition the team and use healing (health and morale). And yes repositioning is a big part of the game. A lot of your and enemy skills can pull/push people from back to front and vice versa. Some classes even make it core part of their kit (Jester).

Celerity is the namesake of this thread. A guy who basically play Darkest Dungeon for 600+ hours, have full understanding of the meta, and say the game is shit because he completely breaks the game down to its molecule by playing 600 hours and saying it is too simple. The game is simply not designed to be that kind of deep deep.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Oh hai gaiz I'm going to drop into this thread about this game but I am not going to read it. Not even a couple of pages.

Game any good? Post soon plz

Üstad

Arcane
Celerity is the namesake of this thread. A guy who basically play Darkest Dungeon for 600+ hours, have full understanding of the meta, and say the game is shit because he completely breaks the game down to its molecule by playing 600 hours and saying it is too simple. The game is simply not designed to be that kind of deep deep.
Lol, 'dexian autism on roids. Any RPG is trivial if you put 600 hours into it.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Lol, 'dexian autism on roids. Any RPG is trivial if you put 600 hours into it.
Generally, sure. But there are exceptions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is this game really good? I keep seeing people on codex praising this game but combat seems like from a pokemon game, with grind and no tactical depth.

It’s a very superficial but strangely satisfying game. I had fun with it for 20 hours. I have no idea how anyone can play it for more, it’s too simple and phone-game-like to be worth that

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yeah, by the time you're able to clear the DD, you should be growing pretty tired of it.
More recent complain would be that the dev make absolutely SURE that you are a slave to RNG to some degree, nerfing the shit out of any abuse possible. For a game that's not that tactically deep, it's not really a path you should take.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For a game that's not that tactically deep, it's not really a path you should take.

I think the reverse logic was used. Because it is very simple you kind of have to leave things up to the RNG, otherwise even mediocre players would auto-succeed on every run and the game would lose all tension

Jason Liang

Arcane
Darkest Dungeon is sufficiently difficult to be a satisfying experience. Sure, the game is structured so that anyone will eventually beat it, but figuring out how to speedrun or beat the game in minimal game days provides an entirely higher challenge.

manifest

Educated
Darkest Dungeon is sufficiently difficult to be a satisfying experience. Sure, the game is structured so that anyone will eventually beat it, but figuring out how to speedrun or beat the game in minimal game days provides an entirely higher challenge.
What is the alternative to meatgrindering your conscripts into the dungeon until you score a win? I didn't make it that far.

Sarathiour

Cipher
For a game that's not that tactically deep, it's not really a path you should take.

I think the reverse logic was used. Because it is very simple you kind of have to leave things up to the RNG, otherwise even mediocre players would auto-succeed on every run and the game would lose all tension

Idk, those were specific composition I was talking about, if you run a classical team you could still get wrecked by rng. Also there is an easy mod now so what's even the point ?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What is the alternative to meatgrindering your conscripts into the dungeon until you score a win? I didn't make it that far.

If you play well you literally only lose people to whack RNG once in a blue moon

manifest

Educated
Felt like might as well just let them die if they catch an early affliction, "don't get an affliction" doesn't really address that.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Meh, most afflication aren't that bad, and you can fix the bad one by rerolling them trough book spam and such, and two curio directly cure them.

Of course, you can also pay cold hard cash later on.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Felt like might as well just let them die if they catch an early affliction, "don't get an affliction" doesn't really address that.

You know you can cure quirks right? Effective DD is all about getting good base heroes and locking the correct quirks (negative as well as positive. Mid- and lategame you'll get shitty traits at intervals anyway. It doesn't matter as long as the ones you want are locked.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar

Oh hai gaiz I'm going to drop into this thread about this game but I am not going to read it. Not even a couple of pages.

Pretty damn good, i don't get the hate it gets on codex. DD's fun, but the early game's rough.

Poseidon00

Arcane

Waiting until you get lucky with a good trait, and paying money to lock it down, until you have a full set of buffs that work well for your playstyle. Items too, of course. I would pump Dodge and damage bonuses on my Crusader, for example. That unit is one of my personal favorites because it's never a bad choice and works in any slot but the last, and can jump out of it if put there.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Pretty damn good, i don't get the hate it gets on codex. DD's fun, but the early game's rough.

My braz bro, I was mocking the autistic lazy Turk. Please don't spoil it by being helpful and nice.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't understand if you're talking about actual afflictions or just negative quirks.

Afflictions just go away once you reduce the stress level and shouldn't really be a problem after you learn what compositions work best. Even without a jester, you need to go in with really weird groups to regularly go over 100 stress.

Negative quirks aren't that bad most of the times and you can just cure the ones that really gimp a character.

I was a bit interested in that big honkin boobers mod for DD but not enough to buy the expansions to play it. Especially since my biggest complaint with DD is the campaign's way too long and the pacing's too slow even on light mode and there's no guarantee that overhaul will rejigger it.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
What? No huge tiddies on the front?

There are some other Overhauls if those kind as well for DD I guess :lol:

Far too many for a game of this type, but I digress. Thing is the old Black Reliquary mods had big tiddies on the front. The modders got into a fight with some commentators over it because have a huge booba woman on the front sent an entirely different kind of message about what the mod was suppose to be, not that I ever bothered trying BR, it just seemed like another no fun allowed mod.

I was a bit interested in that big honkin boobers mod for DD but not enough to buy the expansions to play it. Especially since my biggest complaint with DD is the campaign's way too long and the pacing's too slow even on light mode and there's no guarantee that overhaul will rejigger it.

I felt the same way until I installed mods that sped up movement, combat, score tallies, and turned off the retarded camera zoom during fights (which made it faster as well). The vanilla game has no respect for the player's time at all.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
And if you really don't want to grind, the various inventory mod (increasing slot from 16 to 18, increase stack size etc) would probably help a lot too with the grind on money side.

DD1 is rather crude on technical side but that means it is extremely moddable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom