Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can you have an RPG without progression?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
An RPG where your characters don't get stronger, whether by their own skills or by the acquisition of equipment... would it still be an RPG? Do you have any examples of the sort?

Note: self-imposed challenges don't count, as a racing game remains a racing game even if the player decides to drive the opposite way; if anything, one can say that the player is not actually racing.

Trashos

Arcane
It would be gay as fuck.

But even if the RPG industry is conspiring behind our backs to get rid of numbers, I do not think they have any reason to get rid of feats.

Farewell young Prince into the night

"An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire" is always my go-to example of an RPG without progression because I've never made it past character generation without crashing.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think so. Leveling up is such an intrinsic concept to what makes an RPG what it is that if you had a game with all other aspects of it being RPG-like but not that one, it just wouldn't feel like an RPG.

I know that sounds strange, but it's true.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Having no progression in RPGs is retarded. The literal core of RPGs is creating and improving a character over time. You could say it can be done without stats, but I’m not sure how far you could go with that before hitting a wall.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Many RPGs basically have no 'progression' already. Sure, the numbers go up, but only to keep up with enemy stats. If you're not making any real build decisions after character generation then it's hardly progression.

Yes. And you'd still have all the mechanical complexity of an RPG where you do get stronger, you'd just be starting maxed out. And the game would presumably be balanced around that.

Most games are usually balanced in such a way that you face stronger enemies as you progress anyways, and levelling up doesn't feel much like a power increase to begin with.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
core of rpgs is char planning. If its constant then its char creation, not planning. Hence importance of fine tuned improvements to character as story progresses.

Would you say this makes Wizardry IV not an RPG, as you don't create your character and can't really "plan" how Werdna develops?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I don't think so. Leveling up is such an intrinsic concept to what makes an RPG what it is that if you had a game with all other aspects of it being RPG-like but not that one, it just wouldn't feel like an RPG.

I know that sounds strange, but it's true.

Codex GOTY 2019 doesn't have levels.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's impossible, as it's part of what makes up the term "RPG game":

R: Rolls (random chance)
P: Progression (numbers going up)
G: Gay (homosexual romances)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
A game where you create a character with stats, skills, feats etc but never level him/her up would still be an RPG.

This is hard to argue with, but I wish you'd provide an example or two.

Disco Fucking Elysium.

What are you talking about imbecile? You level-up in DE.
Did you even play it or are you such a dedicated shill that all your posts have to be about it no matter what the discussion is about?

Oh wait...

Just a shitty fanbot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom