Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

SlamDunk

Arcane
It's a hell of a disconnect murdering someone in their sleep, and then moments later watch Henry being charmingly awkward.
Simple explanation: you are roleplaying a psychopathic Henry.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Smejki was the game originally written in Czech and then translated to English, or was it written in English and then translated to Czech?

I wonder what came first - Henry or Jindrich.
Kinda both? Depends on whether you look at it from the standpoint of idea/design-conception or as a production process.
All the designers are Czech and write in Czech. We have an in-house translator John Comer, who translated pretty much everything. He's lived here for over 20 years and speaks Czech fluently.
Since he's a full member of the team (since alphas) we can easily hammer out any perceived discrepancies or ambiguities between the 2 languages very quickly and efficiently.
So, the game was written in Czech but the English translation was being created with very short delay and was under continual maintenance the entire time.
Also, all the designers/writers have very solid English and many times, even though we were writing the quests in Czech, we were taking the eventual ENG translation into consideration.
English was also then used as the primary source for other translations which started way later when almost all texts were already finalized.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
We have an in-house translator John Comer, who translated pretty much everything. He's lived here for over 20 years and speaks Czech fluently.

Guard this dude like a Pope. Pay him with Ukrainian hookers and golden cocaine if you have to. What he does is high quality and I know fist hand there are a number of companies on the Czech market that would kill a litter of puppies for someone like that.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw just an interesting tidbit - in the span of the last month Warhorse posted job openings for producers, quest designers and level designers. Either it's just standard team expansion OR they're finally getting ready for a full production of KCD2 (a bit late methinks) OR they're taking on a brand new project.

They also explicitly say their next game will be AAA. Probably nothing too much to read into this, it's just interesting that this is the first time I'm hearing them say this, IIRC they never mentioned it in relation to KCD.

Shinji

Savant
So I was doing the counterfeit money quest and managed to take down the "mystery knight" and get some documents to deliver to some dude.
While I'm in the area, I decide to explore the area around Skalitz, which I never did up to this point. So I find some bandits in a camp, kill them all and get their loot.
Then I find this mine near the camp, decide to get inside to see if there's more loot, cutscene triggers, find this dude which I'm supposed to arrest (?), persuade him to go to jail and apparently I somehow skipped most of this quest?

:what:

Is it worth to do it the "right way"?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:yeah:

Nice work, mate.
You beat the game's linearity.
That quest had many possibilities, and stumbling upon them by accident is just one of them.

The knight you had to chase at the coal burner camp could've escaped. And you could work with him to investigate it further after meeting him in Sasau.
Otherwise, it leads to the same place actually and teaming up with the knight will result in a confrontation in the mines where the knight wants to take the suspect with him.
If you cannot persuade him, Henry will have to kill the knight.

Likewise, if the game asks you to find someone in the main quest, he will always be at the same place.
So in future replays, you don't need to ask around and just go straight to the location.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Perhaps a similar historically based game but not part of of KCD's "series" because of unrelated plot?
Kingdom Come: Hussite Wars might arrive earlier than expected. :M

71f116a7-5f91-4303-81d7-399d0b89b7e1..jpg

the_surrender_of_the_city_of_rosenberg_in_hussite_war-large.jpg

Deadass

Savant
All the designers are Czech and write in Czech. We have an in-house translator John Coomer, who translated pretty much everything. He's lived here for over 20 years and speaks Czech fluently.
Since he's a full member of the team (since alphas) we can easily hammer out any perceived discrepancies or ambiguities between the 2 languages very quickly and efficiently.

blessed

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is there a way to spawn missing NPC?

I'm doing a rock and hard place sidequest. Matthew arrived at the quarry, but Fritz is nowhere to be seen. After stealing a sack of groshens directly from Talmberg, i've got map markers for Matthew and Fritz to give them their share, and Fritz' marker shows that he's somewhere between quarry and inn. Apparently he fell underground, cuz his horse is at the marked place.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Tried ratting them out to Robard, then went to the inn. Surprise - there are only two hanging corpses (Matthew and Andrew) :)
Sneaky bastard Fritz.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I've stopped my first playthrough precisely because of a bug in "a rock and a hard place" sidequest, thinking that i may stumble upon another bug later on and it will ruin my run.

Two years later and that quest is still somewhat buggy!
:outrage:

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I've stopped my first playthrough precisely because of a bug in "a rock and a hard place" sidequest, thinking that i may stumble upon another bug later on and it will ruin my run.

Two years later and that quest is still somewhat buggy!
:outrage:
Easiest way to complete it is just to rob the money before it gets transported to the quarry.

I just wish there was a way to give those two idiots a proper slap in the face and stop behaving like morons.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Easiest way to complete it is just to rob the money before it gets transported to the quarry.
that's what i did. Matthew was the only one who appeared near the quarry, while Fritz got lost somewhere.

I just wish there was a way to give those two idiots a proper slap in the face and stop behaving like morons.
there is an option to hire them for Pribyslavitz if you own "From the ashes" dlc.

Basshead

Educated
I sure hope they are working on a sequel to Kingdom Come. In spite of some annoyances with quests and bugs here and there, I thoroughly enjoyed the added realism and challenge the game provided. Honestly on paper it sounded much more unforgiving than it ended up being. I’m eager to see where the story goes and would love to see another game in this style, just more refined and maybe even letting us go to Prague! Although I think Prague even at that time might be too much for the budget and level of detail as the first game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It kinda bugs me that almost every activity in the game is illegal and there is no benefit in declining those activities. Now, i don't have issues with "missing on content", but you can't even snitch on those thieves. And each of those illegal activities become worse and worse as you progress (just like Matthew and Fritz questline, except you can actually snitch on them).

A whore asks you to steal something:
- "one guy slept with me and then refused to pay, steal his money" - ok, i guess it's a right thing to do;
- "i gave my shawl to some woman in exchange for food, but now i want my shawl back" - well that's kinda sketchy but eh - free experience;
- "steal my ex-husband's dagger and a key so i could take my revenge and gut them like pigs" - alright that's enough, i'm calling the police.

Peshek asks you to steal something:
- "steal dead dude's ring! - ok, it's not like he's going to miss it;
- "steal a land deed" - ok, why would i care, i don't even know that guy;
- "steal sir Hanush's illustrated book" - i won't steal from my liege, i'm calling the police!

Alex wants you to bag some game:
- "oh, help your poor skalitz friends, we're starving, bring us some hare meat" - i'm on my way;
- "local merchant wants some boar meat" - dunno why am i poaching for some merchant but ok;
- "would you kindly bag us some fine venison, now chop chop henry boy" - that's it, i'm calling the police!

hired hand from Sasau:
- "steal an amulet from herbalist" - ok
- "steal a shawl from some girl" - ok
- "steal a tinderbox from a draper so i could burn a farmhouse and blame him" - wtf are you for real

Yes, I know you didn't ask for it on this post but I remember you asked for this somewhere else, anyways: https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/106

Mod that unlocks cryengine console commands and you can spawn NPCs, among many other things. I haven't used it so I don't know anything about it, but the Posts (comments) section on the mod page is informative.

There's a list of working console commands in the mod page.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, the lack of alternative routes in quests feels a bit restricting. But i guess it was a budget issue, though i'd *really* *really* *really* prefer if instead of making a seamless open world with 80% being made of emptiness and "interesting places", they'd use the early Fallout approach of abstracting away the uninteresting stuff between the major locations in a worldmap with random encounters (you do get that thing when fast traveling anyway). That would probably leave some budget for spending time on making a few alternative quest routes (or maybe not, i don't know how many different hats people at Warhorse wore).

What feels even more restricting and bothers me a lot, though, is the lack of free saves. I know i already mentioned this, but combined with how buggy the game seems to be and the cumbersome combat (i never liked when games try to pretend pressing more keys or moving the mouse in some way has any resemblance in what you'd do in real life to perform the same actions on screen - the only time that worked for me was in Frictional Games' games and that was because it was the only time when that mouse movement actually *does* feel very similar to what you'd do), it is a recipe for disaster.

Example that just happened: i went to ask Theresa out for a walk (the game saves at that point), then went though the interactive cutscene for that walk (as a sidenote, it looks like NPCs aren't susceptible to the same stamina rules like Henry is), then since i had spent a ton of money on fixing my armor i decided to pick some herbs (that looks to be one of the safest ways to raise money, though not much) and i spend a bit of time doing that, then i thought to try and hunt for some game for a quest, so i try to fast travel towards Rovna because it is closest to woods and the other fast travel points (at least those i have discovered) are in cities that take some time to walk outside of (i *really* dislike walking around unnecessarily, especially when nothing happens). A random encounter with "some armed peasants, what could they want?" which i try to avoid because chances are what they want is to annoy me with the game's cumbersome combat, but i fail, so cumbersome combat it is. Except it isn't because one of the peasants had a spear that he wasn't afraid to use, so i attempted to turn around and flee but as i turned around a dog that was with them attacks me which sends the camera into a fast endless spin, pushes me downside towards "something" (the camera was spinning, i couldn't see), then i get stuck and die because of a combo of camera spin and fast attacks. So, i reload and guess what, the last saved game was right before i asked Theresa. Ragequit right there.

So how would free saving solve any of the above? Well, it wouldn't, but i tend to quicksave after every unpleasant part of a game (and before any potentially unpleasant part, based on experience with previous unpleasant parts when playing that or similar games) so if something happens i wont have to play through that part again. I don't mind jank, i don't mind bugs and i can have fun with a game despite its cumbersome combat (assuming i can avoid or find a way to overpower the enemies so that it doesn't last long), but when the game forces me to go through all that through a decision that it has been shown again and again at the past that creates annoyances, i have a hard time ignoring other issues too.

Which is a shame because the game has a lot of positives and does things i really like. I'll continue playing it because of those, but i have a feeling i'll eventually drop it because all the negatives it has grinds my patience away (negatives that are largely centered around wasting time doing things that would look neat the first couple of times and tiring the next 10000+ times or around being cumbersome for the sake of being cumbersome - not just in combat). It is a game i want to like (...especially after spending the money to buy the Royal edition :-P), but every time i manage to get into the flow and get immersed, something happens that takes me out of it.

Anyway, i hope i'll get used to those issues. Rant over :-P.

(it may sound i am just complaining and don't like the game because i focus on the negatives, but i *do* enjoy the game - it is because of that the negatives stick out to me as much as they do)

There is a free saving mod on the Nexus.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It kinda bugs me that almost every activity in the game is illegal and there is no benefit in declining those activities. Now, i don't have issues with "missing on content", but you can't even snitch on those thieves. And each of those illegal activities become worse and worse as you progress (just like Matthew and Fritz questline, except you can actually snitch on them).

A whore asks you to steal something:
- "one guy slept with me and then refused to pay, steal his money" - ok, i guess it's a right thing to do;
- "i gave my shawl to some woman in exchange for food, but now i want my shawl back" - well that's kinda sketchy but eh - free experience;
- "steal my ex-husband's dagger and a key so i could take my revenge and gut them like pigs" - alright that's enough, i'm calling the police.

Peshek asks you to steal something:
- "steal dead dude's ring! - ok, it's not like he's going to miss it;
- "steal a land deed" - ok, why would i care, i don't even know that guy;
- "steal sir Hanush's illustrated book" - i won't steal from my liege, i'm calling the police!

Alex wants you to bag some game:
- "oh, help your poor skalitz friends, we're starving, bring us some hare meat" - i'm on my way;
- "local merchant wants some boar meat" - dunno why am i poaching for some merchant but ok;
- "would you kindly bag us some fine venison, now chop chop henry boy" - that's it, i'm calling the police!

hired hand from Sasau:
- "steal an amulet from herbalist" - ok
- "steal a shawl from some girl" - ok
- "steal a tinderbox from a draper so i could burn a farmhouse and blame him" - wtf are you for real

Satan tests Henry constantly.

Saying that, thieving is a lot of fun in KCD.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This is what i'm getting:

Except worst actually. At 100 FPS it's all choppy.

Yes, that is what happens when the game's FPS is not synced with the display refresh rate.

Example: if you want perfect smoothness and none of that camera stutter then you need to have the fps always match the Hz, i.e. in a 60Hz display be able to run the game at 60FPS, and obviously lock it to 60fps, preferably via vsync but you can also use RTSS's scanline sync if you want less buffering (albeit with higher GPU usage).

This is also what gsync/freesync monitors do, btw, except they do it dynamically. A gsync/freesync monitor dynamically changes the display Hz to always be in lockstep with the game FPS, so if the game FPS is one second at 39fps, the gsync display will be at 39 Hz, and if the game fps goes up to 52fps, then it will keep pace and change the Hz to 52Hz, and thus it will ALWAYS be synchronized and that way the player never sees any stuttering.

TLDR: your game fps needs to be the same as your display Hz, easiest way to achieve this is using normal vsync, though there are other ways, such as fast sync, and RTSS's scanline syncing. Remember also that you can use nvidia/amd "Half Refresh" option, so you can do this at 120Hz and game at 60FPS, or change the display Hz to 100 Hz, and game smoothly at 50FPS.

I use a custom refresh rate for every single game, I launch games via batch file scripts, so for example if I need to play a very demanding game that I know I cannot maintain 60fps in then I launch that game at 1080p 50Hz, and enable RTSS scanline sync to syncrhonize the fps to 50fps, and achieve perfect camera smoothness and never see a stutter, barring no performance drops.

EDIT/PS: Ever wondered why console games always feel smooth even though they are 30fps? Simple, they are 30fps but vsynced to "Half Refresh" mode, and most living room TV sets are 60Hz, so it works out perfectly. 30fps/60Hz.

On PC we have the advantage that we can pick and choose whatever FPS lock and whatever refresh rate we want, so we can do crazy things like launch a game at 50Hz and sync it to 50fps and have perfect smoothness. Consoles have to use 30fps and half-refresh method, even if theoretically the game could average 40 or 50fps, they can't sync to that, so it has to be 30fps for them as that is the half of 60hz.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lyric Suite i have the same issue with microstuttering too, i think it only happens after i disabled vsync but i'd rather have microstuttering than the additional input lag vsync adds.

You are correct, the stutter only began when you disabled VSYNC. Luckily there is a solution for you and me, as I also dislike the additional buffering of vsync, and that is using NVIDIA Fast Sync method (it's not actual vsync, it eliminates screen tearing but it doesn't "sync" so no fps capping occurs), then download RTSS (comes with MSI Afterburner) and add the game .exe to RTSS list, select the game, and then enter the number '1' in the Scanline Sync option, like so:

scanlinesync.png

The NVIDIA Fast Sync will eliminate the screen tearing, and the RTSS scanline sync will sync the game fps to the display refresh rate and eliminate the camera/game stuttering without introducing the typical vsync buffer lag. The downside is that scanline syncing consumes more GPU power and usage than regular vsync, but it shouldn't be a big enough difference to be noticeable, but you should know that it does in case this matters to you.

EDIT / PS: RTSS scanline sync also allows using it at "half refresh", simply click once on the actual words of the option, i.e. click on where it says 'scanline sync', and it will change to the next mode. The half-refresh S-sync mode is the one that ends in x/2.

Very, very useful. RTSS is literally the single most important gaming program for me, the only one I find indispensable. Once you get addicted to the perfect smoothness of scanline synced FPS to display Hz, there is no going back. I refuse to even play something that isn't perfectly smooth now.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Yes, I know you didn't ask for it on this post but I remember you asked for this somewhere else, anyways: https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/106

Mod that unlocks cryengine console commands and you can spawn NPCs, among many other things. I haven't used it so I don't know anything about it, but the Posts (comments) section on the mod page is informative.

There's a list of working console commands in the mod page.
yep, i did that.
after i used spawn command, real Fritz showed up too. So now there are two Fritzes in my game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom