Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
What's the point of wearing heavy legging? Seems like the enemy focused on head, torso, and arm most of the time.
Also, I can confirm that the high-level mace counter is fucking deadly, I got hit once by Black Peter in the tourney and it did 75% head damage and two stacks of bleed.

Shit like that explains why swords and axes get outperformed pretty hard once Henry Mace skill goes 10+
Versus low-level bandits, you can simply drink Buck's Blood and do multiple swings like crazy. Their stamina cannot cope when blocking since they cannot perfect block that often. Once their stamina bar bottoms out, they're basically dead. Hammer away like they're a nail till they're flat on the ground. Works great with Heavy Swing (+10% dmg) perk and other offensive boosting potions.

The agility-based weapons are not that great. And you can't get a counter off evasion.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Amazed this shit runs on MX150 Laptop Video Card.
People walk around without their heads until I approach. Otherwise it's OK.

YutqltW.jpg

:lol:
Hey, that's how I played the game, in a tiny viewport so as to not need to buy a better machine. :lol: Hidden bonus is that you probably won't notice the infamous graphics downgrade this way.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If the game was downgraded, i wonder how it would perform if it was made at the original quality. I have a 3900X GPU, 32GB of RAM, two SSDs (one to handle whatever windows/drivers/etc load, another just for games) and a 5700 XT *and* running the game at 1366x768 (my monitor's native resolution, i like big pixels) and i still drop at 45-50fps in some places like Rattay, even after i set Shadows (the setting that makes the biggest difference) to "high".

agris

Arcane
Patron
The game is very cpu bound and the default threading doesn’t use more than 4 cores iirc but you can change it. Also it chugged under Win7 with the spectre/meltdown OS patches.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm having a different problem, always with a 5700 XT.

It seems that the game movies very choppy even when the frame rate is high. Like, even when i get over 80 FPS there's no fluidity with the rendering. I tried googling but all i get is people talking about stuttering issues, where for some people the game freezes to up to one second but that's not what i'm getting, unless you can call it micro stuttering.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Maybe a codec issue? Never heard of this when FPS are good globally.

Are they choppy with vsync on? High FPS rendering of fixed framerate content could still result in jerkiness due to your monitor’s refresh rate.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This is what i'm getting:

Except worst actually. At 100 FPS it's all choppy.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
I have a 3900X GPU, 32GB of RAM, two SSDs (one to handle whatever windows/drivers/etc load, another just for games) and a 5700 XT *and* running the game at 1366x768 (my monitor's native resolution, i like big pixels) and i still drop at 45-50fps in some places like Rattay, even after i set Shadows (the setting that makes the biggest difference) to "high".
Honestly that is weird. Do you drop even when walking? I only drop when riding horse quickly, but when walking I can generally hold 60fps. With 2700X, 16GBRAM and RTX2080Ti, in 2880x1620 resolution with ultra/very high mix.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ah moves, not movies.

Have you explored if a certain video setting is causing this? I would leave your resolution at whatever you’re playing, drive all settings to their minimum, and raise each to max and see if you can ID what is causing your stuttering.

What’s your cpu / os? Ever log cpu utilization during play to see if it spikes periodically, ie matches the stutter you see?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nevermind. I just erased all config files and all user profiles and used steam to download freshones and now it's gone. Who know what setting was doing it.

Still, another problem seems to be this game makes my card run very hot. It's the only game where the temps go above 70 degrees (90 for junction) and the fans gets loud at 1800 RPM. Card is a Red Devil 5700 XT, using the OC bios. Guess i could try to switch to the silent bios.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly that is weird. Do you drop even when walking? I only drop when riding horse quickly, but when walking I can generally hold 60fps. With 2700X, 16GBRAM and RTX2080Ti, in 2880x1620 resolution with ultra/very high mix.

I normally have way above 60fps, it is only in the bigger cities that drops below 60. I have almost everything at ultra but lowering the settings nothing outside of shadows and shaders seemed to make much of a difference with shadows making the most. I guess the game renders the shadows in a resolution independent of the render resolution, though TBH i haven't tried to do any sort of profiling. I do not mind the slightly blurrier shadows and the only issue i've noticed is that sometimes inside houses i get a bit of flickering in some walls, but that isn't big deal.

Lyric Suite i have the same issue with microstuttering too, i think it only happens after i disabled vsync but i'd rather have microstuttering than the additional input lag vsync adds.

I finally managed to overcome my chronic cheapskateness and purchased the complete package, game plus all addons. And I'm already mighty glad I did, that's one damn fine game so far. The prologue is quite a bit long stretched, but it certainly brings you into the right mood.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I must be the only one who actually liked the long prologue. Seeing the opening credits after 3+ hours was one of my most memorable gaming XP in years.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Nevermind. I just erased all config files and all user profiles and used steam to download freshones and now it's gone. Who know what setting was doing it.

I've had the same issue, would like to see if I can emulate your success. Where are they located on the system?

thesecret1

Arcane
I didn't mind the length of the prologue as much as that it kept giving this sense of openness when it wasn't nearly done with the scripting yet. Don't let me fuck off exploring only to then go "nuh uh, you haven't seen all the cutscenes yet". And when you do let me go on my merry way, make sure you are actually DONE. I spent so many hours exploring without a goddamn horse since I figured it's some super expensive midgame purchase (since IIRC owning a horse was pretty damn expensive in the middle ages), only to then find out I missed out on the later stages of the de facto tutorial.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I've had the same issue, would like to see if I can emulate your success. Where are they located on the system?

Just the config files from the root. No idea what i changed in them that caused that issue, but it's gone now.

I must be the only one who actually liked the long prologue. Seeing the opening credits after 3+ hours was one of my most memorable gaming XP in years.
I didn't dislike it, not at all. It felt like watching a great movie. And indeed, the moment when the opening credits rolled over the screen was fantastic. I just think I wouldn't like to play through it a second time.

hexer The GOG-version has no DRM.

edit: by the way, I was really pleasantly surprised when I discovered that to get back to youknowwhere to bury youknowwho I could just do the most obvious thing and jump from a certain bridge and just run away. Most games deny me such obvious solutions and hinder me with invisible walls and force me to do quests, this game allowed me to do it. That alone makes it quite unique.

Last edited:
As much as I like the game there is one thing I don't understand: Why are there no children in this world? Their explanation was - if I remember correctly - that they didn't want players to be able to kill children. And if they created children as invincible that would be "unrealistic". Isn't it much more unrealistic to simulate a medieval society without children at all?

Codex Year of the Donut
As much as I like the game there is one thing I don't understand: Why are there no children in this world? Their explanation was - if I remember correctly - that they didn't want players to be able to kill children. And if they created children as invincible that would be "unrealistic". Isn't it much more unrealistic to simulate a medieval society without children at all?
image.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yeah I remember that vaguely. Also creating a brand new set of character meshes would be too much work for such a small team or some such (btw have ya'll noticed all NPCs within the same race in all RPGs ever are always the same height? Same reason).

Plus the engine is already barely handling the current amount of NPCs, adding like 50% more would implode the game.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Yeah I remember that vaguely. Also creating a brand new set of character meshes would be too much work for such a small team or some such (btw have ya'll noticed all NPCs within the same race in all RPGs ever are always the same height? Same reason).
nah, just scale them up.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
As much as I like the game there is one thing I don't understand: Why are there no children in this world? Their explanation was - if I remember correctly - that they didn't want players to be able to kill children.
That's the least concern. Making them invincible is an easy and quick solution. Unrealistic but fine, at first glance. After all, invincibility is in the game already, so it is a feature, and setting it to all kids would be done in matter of seconds.

The major concerns were different
a) Extra visual assets -> extra work, not enough resources
Kids are not just scaled down humans. The have different proportions. That necessitates different skeletons, and different set of animations. It would be a limited set compared to adults, but still. They would have to be colthed. Clothes scaling is already done to some degree, but again the scaling demanded by the tiny children bodies is too much. Therefore kids would need their own set of clothing items.
Not enough artists time.

b) Extra base behaviors -> extra work, not enough resources
We would simply have to devise a separate set of behavior the kids would be doing all day long. That's not just aextra content to be developed, but also maintained, tested and debugged.
Not enough scripters time.

c) Extra simulations and reactive behaviors -> unclear solutions, extra work, not enough resources
When you consider the core design principles of our game, where you can kill almost anybody, and everybody must somehow react to not just this but also a wide variety of other impulses (crime, stealth, trespass etc.), it becomes clear that some systems would have to be much wider (to consider kids), some systems would require new reaction scripts specific to kids.
What should we do with kids whose parents were killed? Should they live on their own in an empty house until the parents respawn after, what, 2 weeks?
What should a kid do when they witness a crime? Go report it? 'Of course' you might say. Conflicting design principle is that people really do carry crime info with them and they deliver it to guards. If you manage to kill the witness, the guards will never know. How do you do that when kids must be invincible? So they shouldn't report crimes? Isn't that weird? They don't care you butchering their mommy right in front of them?
There's a popular Czech phrase "past vedle pasti (pičo)" which roughly translates to "traps all around (ffs)". That's exactly what invincible kids are in terms of game desing in KCD.

d) Extra NPCs in the scene -> not enough performance
We most probably wouldn't cut the number of adults. In most places there are 2 per house anyway. If there were 2-5 kids per house (as historical realism would require), not only would we need extra beds in the houses, we would also hit the limit for max 50 NPCs in player's proximity much much faster. Rattay would be nigh impossible to make and we would probably end with New Vegas-like zoning solution. That's a hard nope.
We didn't even know this was an issue back then. We would run into this problem way way late into development. Thank God we didn't even start developing them kiddos. We would have wasted a lot of work otherwise.

e) Historical accuracy vs. game conventions and game language
This is not a massive issue but it is a philosophical one. If we wanted to be accurate (and we would) there would be more kids than civilian adults. Having 60% of your NPCs invincible and weirdly limited in reactivity would imho break immersion more than the current state where we pretend that kids are... yeah, they just left, the are... err... behind the house. They just left to go pick up strawberries... in the forest.

Some more specific context:
Let's pretend we had the resources, performance wouldn't be an issue, and we knew all the solutions. It took us a whole year to develop the dog from ground up. That's new skeleton, 1 new model with 4(?) skins, movement AI, movement animation set, idle animation set. The doggo has limited combat capabilities and thus not too many combat animations. Moreover he's invisible to NPCs so they don't react to him, and he only reacts to enemies and POI proximity. 2 extra major features - point and send at target; inclusion of doggo in inventory. 2 minor features - dialog with doggo, which required some extension to existing dialog system; K-9's underlying RPG and you ability do influence it aka dog training. Interior avoidance, teleportations, and calling are basically copied from the horse - some extra work but not too much. That's just the stuff I could think off the top of my head. Point being the dog is pretty basic. 1 year of work. Kids would be several times more complex.
Just to have some invincible extras.

Comparison to other games:
So.... it is much easier and much more safe to add kids to Witcher 3 where you can't attack civilians and they don't react to anything ever. Like, really, the guards are the only people who react to you stealing shit. Civilians are just scenery, a Potemkin village (not that I mind, it's just a different design approach).
It is extremely hard and costly to add them to a game like KCD. I mean, add them in any meaningful way.

Now, I'm not saying the current state brings me any joy or that all this, despite undeniably understandable, is some ultimate excuse for us to safe a lot of work and let us focus on more substantial aspects of the game. No. I'm pretty sad about it. I mentioned several times that, for me, kids are among the top missing features in the game. And not just for immersion's sake. It also limits the kind of stories we would love to tell. And I kinda understand people who kinda bitch about 'teh sexizm' or 'trahdyshunal famuhleee' wet dream of a game for conservatives or whatnot. It is really really nigh impossible to sell why the medieval society was the way it was when you can't show that:
- women were either kids, almost ever-pregnant young adults tending to 4+ kids, or 'old' grannies since age of 40 helping the younger generation in raising their kids
- childbirth was extremely risky with high maternal mortality
- half the kids didn't survive childhood, so death was ever-present and you had to have more kids to sustain the society (refer to previous 2 points)
- anybody could can gravely sick at any time
So, kids? Fuck yea! But damn are they costly!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom