Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by conan_edw, Feb 13, 2018.

1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    you know what normal people in non-gamedev industries refer to "crunch" as?
    work

• Funny x 7
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • No x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    games would be done 6 months earlier if devs halved the time they spend on twitter :P

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Crichton Prophet

Crichton
    I purchased this a couple sales back but only started playing recently. I would guess that I'm about halfway through (currently supposed to be tracking down some members of a horse-mutilating conspiracy) and I'm consistently impressed with the hard work that went into it. It has a very Rockstar feel with the detailed world and some nice "cinematic" writing and voice acting (even if it is bloated with pomposity). They put enough work into all these characters that I was willing to keep going through what seemed like 10 hours of following NPCs around from cutscene to cutscene (Sir Hanush is a particular favorite).

I wish had equally nice things to say about the gameplay; I've never been a big fan of minigames and combat is a total clusterfuck during all these encounters with 3-5 enemies. I think the game would be vastly improved if it would just let you take a few buddies along a la Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Rise of the Argonauts, etc. Two small groups clashing would work out a lot better than one guy kiting the stupid NPCs into manageable portions.

^ Top  
  4. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    [​IMG]

But seriously - if you enjoy the game so far, it's even better for you ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Do you actually believe that?

^ Top  
  6. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Dunno, hard to say. I just remember some leaked info describing muh inhuman treatment in Bioware that basically boiled down to a bunch of millennials complaining about having to take orders from the managers and getting only an hour lunch break.

My guess is all this talk about crunch and terrible working conditions is a mix of your standard soulless corpo BS and brainwashed millennials rolling out of their college safe spaces straight into the realities of life.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Well I'm obviously working under the real definition of crunch, ie. working ridiculously long hours for extended periods of time (12+ hour work days). What rusty said is incredibly stupid.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    go get a job somewhere else
    nobody wants to hear people complain about their job, you aren't being forced to work it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Look at this man with his sharp edges, bravely attacking the dozens of invisible posters in this thread who were whining about work

He's gotta be careful or he might damage the hentai posters lining his bedroom wall

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Inspectah Savant

Inspectah
    Fun fact: film industry during production (the actual filming part) avarages 12 hours 6 days a week

^ Top  
  11. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    And film crews are very well paid, on time, and can get royalties from the product they're making, they sign up for those work hours. The production of a movie will last only ~2.5 months precisely because it's so expensive. Not to mention that actors, directors, producers and all these other people are fucking millionaires, which further reinforces the fact that they get very well rewarded for the work they put in.

Videogame crutch lasts longer, no one is getting any royalties for it, they're lucky if they get paid for the work they did, workers didn't sign up for those working hours and they often get penalized for not working extra hours they should have no obligation to work. Maybe if they did, Chris Avellone would still be writing games instead of whoring himself out on twitter.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    ^ Top  
  12. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Do you have crying rooms?
    On another note, lockpicking should have an alternative solution. Try alchemy acid recipe maybe?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    ^ Top  
  13. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    IF it's true that people are forced to work 12+ hour days 6 days in the week for months on end than that is genuinely fucking awful, no two ways about it. That's some 1800s early capitalism shit. P. sure it's also hilariously illegal everywhere in Yurop.

I regret so much I didn't try lockpicking with the controller, seeing as people are crying about it so much.
    I can only say that I played the whole game on Hardcore with ALL the negative perks, including Shakes and Numbskull, with K&B and never ever I thought lockpicking was remotely a problem.

^ Top  
  14. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    maybe ability to smash the chest. Every item except quest items will be transformed into junk.

^ Top  
  15. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Yeah quiet option - lockpicking/alchemy
    Not so quiet - bash

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    I mean, no one is forced. Slavery was abandoned some time back.

^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    It's illegal to say "you gotta work 12 hour days, 6 days a week or you're out". In other words if you fire someone for refusing to work longer than 40 hours a week you can get sued.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    "Forced" doesn't imply physical force. For example, an employer that is aware that changing jobs or finding a new one would be an extreme inconvenient or very difficult for employee X, because that employee is dependent on the wage he makes to support his ill mother or family member, who is getting their treatment at a nearby hospital. All it needs to be harassment is for the employee to say "either you do extra hours or we're penalizing you in X manner".

In this case no one is literally forcing anyone to do anything, but the powers at play are so in favor of the employer that, for all intents and purposes, the employee is being forced.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ArtB Cipher Patron

ArtB
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The "just go find another job lol" argument also doesn't work if the entire industry uses the same crazy practices - and that seems to be the case. And vidya is different from most other industries, where a job is mostly just a job, in that individual developers (or a lot of them) appear to genuinely care about the games they're making, which is an emotional attachment studios are more than happy to exploit. What's a 12-hour work day when you're living the dream, eh?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    It isn't, and besides, that still doesn't change that nobody is owed anything by anyone by default. If anyone doesn't like a job - for whatever reason - they should find better one or start their own.
    Jaffe just talked about this, why the industry is not going to unionize and why many devs don't want it to either

• That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ArtB Cipher Patron

ArtB
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Really? How many studios (especially mid to large ones) don't crunch like crazy? Honest question, I've no idea.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    I haven't done or seen any formal research, but I have seen developers from Ubi and EA post about lack of crunch. Now obviously this can still vary project to project, morons with no coherent vision who made Anthem had to crunch since they didn't even know what they were making. Epic in pre-fortnite days was also reportedly not big on crunch, but recently there was a report on polygon about them crunching out fortnite updates.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    The biggest publishers are usually the ones who have the best employment conditions, and that includes low crunch. There's a reason they manage to retain so much of their staff despite only making complete shit games. Complaints of crunch usually dont come from ubisoft or EA though, IIRC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Warhorse just posted they're hiring a producer for "a project unique not only within the Czech Republic".

Hm, isn't it too late to start a full production on the KCD sequel? Two years of pre-production would be too much even for Bioware. Plus a KCD sequel wouldn't be exactly unique anymore.

I choose to believe they're gearing up for a second game. Maybe the Stargate-themed RPG Vavra occasionally yaps about as his next dream project?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. bat_boro Arcane

bat_boro
    Where's the posting? I don't see it on the website or linkedin?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.