Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
IF it's true that people are forced to work 12+ hour days 6 days in the week for months on end than that is genuinely fucking awful,

I mean, no one is forced. Slavery was abandoned some time back.
It's illegal to say "you gotta work 12 hour days, 6 days a week or you're out". In other words if you fire someone for refusing to work longer than 40 hours a week you can get sued.

Sentinel

Arcane
IF it's true that people are forced to work 12+ hour days 6 days in the week for months on end than that is genuinely fucking awful,

"Forced" doesn't imply physical force. For example, an employer that is aware that changing jobs or finding a new one would be an extreme inconvenient or very difficult for employee X, because that employee is dependent on the wage he makes to support his ill mother or family member, who is getting their treatment at a nearby hospital. All it needs to be harassment is for the employee to say "either you do extra hours or we're penalizing you in X manner".

In this case no one is literally forcing anyone to do anything, but the powers at play are so in favor of the employer that, for all intents and purposes, the employee is being forced.

Got bored and left

"Forced" doesn't imply physical force. For example, an employer that is aware that changing jobs or finding a new one would be an extreme inconvenient or very difficult for employee X, because that employee is dependent on the wage he makes to support his ill mother or family member, who is getting their treatment at a nearby hospital. All it needs to be harassment is for the employee to say "either you do extra hours or we're penalizing you in X manner".

In this case no one is literally forcing anyone to do anything, but the powers at play are so in favor of the employer that, for all intents and purposes, the employee is being forced.

The "just go find another job lol" argument also doesn't work if the entire industry uses the same crazy practices - and that seems to be the case. And vidya is different from most other industries, where a job is mostly just a job, in that individual developers (or a lot of them) appear to genuinely care about the games they're making, which is an emotional attachment studios are more than happy to exploit. What's a 12-hour work day when you're living the dream, eh?

Paul_cz

Arcane
that seems to be the case.
It isn't, and besides, that still doesn't change that nobody is owed anything by anyone by default. If anyone doesn't like a job - for whatever reason - they should find better one or start their own.
What's a 12-hour work day when you're living the dream, eh?

Jaffe just talked about this, why the industry is not going to unionize and why many devs don't want it to either

Got bored and left

that seems to be the case.
It isn't, and besides, that still doesn't change that nobody is owed anything by anyone by default. If anyone doesn't like a job - for whatever reason - they should find better one or start their own.

Really? How many studios (especially mid to large ones) don't crunch like crazy? Honest question, I've no idea.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Really? How many studios (especially mid to large ones) don't crunch like crazy? Honest question, I've no idea.
I haven't done or seen any formal research, but I have seen developers from Ubi and EA post about lack of crunch. Now obviously this can still vary project to project, morons with no coherent vision who made Anthem had to crunch since they didn't even know what they were making. Epic in pre-fortnite days was also reportedly not big on crunch, but recently there was a report on polygon about them crunching out fortnite updates.

Sentinel

Arcane
I haven't done or seen any formal research, but I have seen developers from Ubi and EA post about lack of crunch. Now obviously this can still vary project to project, morons with no coherent vision who made Anthem had to crunch since they didn't even know what they were making. Epic in pre-fortnite days was also reportedly not big on crunch, but recently there was a report on polygon about them crunching out fortnite updates.
The biggest publishers are usually the ones who have the best employment conditions, and that includes low crunch. There's a reason they manage to retain so much of their staff despite only making complete shit games. Complaints of crunch usually dont come from ubisoft or EA though, IIRC.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Warhorse just posted they're hiring a producer for "a project unique not only within the Czech Republic".

Hm, isn't it too late to start a full production on the KCD sequel? Two years of pre-production would be too much even for Bioware. Plus a KCD sequel wouldn't be exactly unique anymore.

I choose to believe they're gearing up for a second game. Maybe the Stargate-themed RPG Vavra occasionally yaps about as his next dream project?

bat_boro

Arcane
Warhorse just posted they're hiring a producer for "a project unique not only within the Czech Republic".

Hm, isn't it too late to start a full production on the KCD sequel? Two years of pre-production would be too much even for Bioware. Plus a KCD sequel wouldn't be exactly unique anymore.

I choose to believe they're gearing up for a second game. Maybe the Stargate-themed RPG Vavra occasionally yaps about as his next dream project?

Where's the posting? I don't see it on the website or linkedin?

SlamDunk

Arcane

Where's the posting? I don't see it on the website or linkedin?
https://warhorsestudios.cz/career

Choose CZE as the language (lower left corner). It's the "Práci na projektu unikátním nejen v rámci ČR." line (I used Google Translate).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Maybe the Stargate-themed RPG Vavra occasionally yaps about as his next dream project?
Where did he yap about this? Never heard of it.

I've heard him say (2 or 3 times) that he likes the idea of a game with aliens and pyramids or some such, like the Stargate. Although it could've been before AssCreed: Origins came out. Now it wouldn't be as unique anymore.

Paul_cz

Arcane
All you cheap fucks who refuse to support incline, Sweeney paid Wingefors bunch of money so you can get Kingdom Come for free next week on EGS.

pja2qwgx1cf41.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm still waiting to upgrade before I play this because I couldn't max it out on my 980 but I guess I'll bite the bullet and install EGS

Jinn

Arcane
I hope this doesn't signal a close relationship with EPIC moving forward... An exclusive relationship, that is.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I hope this doesn't signal a close relationship with EPIC moving forward... An exclusive relationship, that is.

Who cares? Whatever gets them the most money is fine. It's annoying to see gamers sitting around with 16+gb of ram whining about running more than one store. It's not like it's some kind of hardware exclusive that keeps you from playing on your preferred platform.

Jinn

Arcane
Who cares? Whatever gets them the most money is fine. It's annoying to see gamers sitting around with 16+gb of ram whining about running more than one store. It's not like it's some kind of hardware exclusive that keeps you from playing on your preferred platform.

Saying I hope they don't go Epic exclusive = whining. Okay, dude.

It matters very little to me, except that I won't be able to play the sequel until a year after it's released. Epic goons can beta test it for me. I won't be giving any money to that platform though.

Paul_cz

Arcane
How much do you think the dev gets per free install? 10-20% of the normal retail price maybe?

My guess is that it is more like an agree upon one time sum, but I could be wrong.

I would dislike that very much too, but I think by the time any possible new Warhorse game comes out in like 2022, Epic will hopefully stop doing exclusivity deals. Then again, Fortnite will probably keep printing money for decade(s) so anything is possible.
It would be nice, if they insisit on these deals, if they at least improved their god damn client.

Kuattro

Augur

I would dislike that very much too, but I think by the time any possible new Warhorse game comes out in like 2022, Epic will hopefully stop doing exclusivity deals. Then again, Fortnite will probably keep printing money for decade(s) so anything is possible.
It would be nice, if they insisit on these deals, if they at least improved their god damn client.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, but wasn't Warhorse Studios bought by Koch? As in, the same Koch that took Epic's money with Metro's exclusivity and yanked it out from Steam a couple weeks before release, and then launched a press campaign against anyone moaning about it?

I'd very much expect an exclusivity deal with Epic if that's the case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom