Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Loading times are perfectly fine on my end (pick up an SSD, for fuck's sake, they're cheap these days). Now, the indelible micro-stuttering every 40 or so seconds, on the other hand…
I'm hesitating picking up an SSD because I'm not sure how they work with motherboards. My motherboard is really old, like 10ish years old, and I'm not certain it supports SSDs (if that's even a thing). So I have to replace my motherboard too if that's the case.
I doubt you have to change mobo, since both old HDD and new SSDs use the same SATA controller.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Loading times are perfectly fine on my end (pick up an SSD, for fuck's sake, they're cheap these days). Now, the indelible micro-stuttering every 40 or so seconds, on the other hand…

I have a DDR4 PCI SSD and the load times become atrocious after a while.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Loading in release version of Deadfire was actually faster on my old pc than in Deadfire with all dlcs and patches on my new one.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They said they were going to pay special attention to loading times and optimization, but I guess they gave up on that during the first DLC.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
pirates sucks
giphy.gif

Lacrymas

Arcane
The worst aspect of PoE2 is the frequent and long loading screens.

they're even worse in #1 methinks
The problem is more how frequent they are, especially when you get to Neketaka. Every little area has its own loading screen and I didn't notice a difference between how long big and small areas load. Going into the brothel in the dock district was a nightmare. All the sub-areas in Neketaka are small and basically empty, like for example the hidden hideout of the pirates, the only thing you do there is talk to the dwarf captain, so you quickly finish that area and move on. Loading screens bombard you from everywhere and the overabundance of fetch quests makes it worse. It's a combination of long loading times on non-SSDs, fetch quests that only tell you to talk to people, small areas, and every area needing to be loaded separately. That was the main reason I stopped my all-DLC run and decided I won't play it again before I get an SSD. I honestly didn't feel like this in PoE1, yes they were quite long, but somehow not so frequent maybe, I don't know.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
PoE1 didn't have that much frequent loading screens. Deadfire poured oil in the fire with additional transitions, pop-ups and more loading screens.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The worst aspect of PoE2 is the frequent and long loading screens.

they're even worse in #1 methinks
The problem is more how frequent they are, especially when you get to Neketaka. Every little area has its own loading screen and I didn't notice a difference between how long big and small areas load. Going into the brothel in the dock district was a nightmare. All the sub-areas in Neketaka are small and basically empty, like for example the hidden hideout of the pirates, the only thing you do there is talk to the dwarf captain, so you quickly finish that area and move on. Loading screens bombard you from everywhere and the overabundance of fetch quests makes it worse. It's a combination of long loading times on non-SSDs, fetch quests that only tell you to talk to people, small areas, and every area needing to be loaded separately. That was the main reason I stopped my all-DLC run and decided I won't play it again before I get an SSD. I honestly didn't feel like this in PoE1, yes they were quite long, but somehow not so frequent maybe, I don't know.

It's not that I don't agree, it's that every point you make is worse for #1 I think. Defiance bay loading gives me PTSD.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Josh and others should remember that the mass-market doesn't really give a shit about continuity or having the whole narrative. Games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 3 succeeded in an insane way, sales wise, despite 90% of their audience never playing the two games before them. They could do a PoE3 with the Watcher or without, referencing the first two games or not, and as long as the gameplay/look was a hit with mainstream gamers it wouldn't matter much either way.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Josh and others should remember they aren't developing for the mass-market, at least not the mass-market of Witcher 3 or Fallout 3.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Josh and others should remember they aren't developing for the mass-market, at least not the mass-market of Witcher 3 or Fallout 3.

I mean gameplay wise PoE and PoE2 are certainly not made for mass market.

It's just that the design philosophies was a very big miss.

And writing wise it's not even entertaining for the mass-market either. PoE 2 is so lacking in focus and has nothing to balance it out.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What is Josh Sawyer currently doing at Obsidian? He seems to be in a perpetual cycle of disappointment over PoE2. I guess hell is not only other people, but also a botched video game release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What is Josh Sawyer currently doing at Obsidian? He seems to be in a perpetual cycle of disappointment over PoE2. I guess hell is not only other people, but also a botched video game release.
Sawyer Elysium.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Only way a PoE3 gets made IMO is going mass-market and changing the gameplay dramatically, so that's what I was referencing. Story continuity won't matter in that instance.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Are Obsidian working on another game now or they are still wallowing in the lukewarm response of the Outer Worlds that everyone already forgot existed?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom