Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Neerasrc

Learned
It is impossible to logically produce TPS / FPS games in 3.5 years. (At AAA level 350 people are not enough) Because the game (bg3) is really big. We are not talking about a 15-hour experience. Developed with divinity 2 gambyro game engine. (TPS) Developed with divinity engine like bg3, dos2.

Guess: (straight logic) We will encounter a game with isometric (perhaps diablo 3-4 visual / animation quality) and AAA cinema dialogue scenes. There was a button in the settings section of Dos2 that zoomed the camera angle. (for dialogues) It could probably be an improved version as well. That's why detailed character modeling is important. Of course, these are estimates.

If you want have some fun. 4K captures:

Some crops:

cHD2Edz.jpg

Out first look at writing of BG3.

Most likely drawing concept art in Photoshop.

This looks like a level editor. You can see terrain "chunk" on bottom of the right monitor. This doesn't necessarily imply gameplay perspective imo.

ZNhbkKo.jpg

UI? Journal?

All that finger bones, all that details. Yeah, this won't be isometric-only.

Seems like source code of the level editor, something related to tiling.

And this is the most interesting thing to me:

W8IXEbD.jpg

It seems like they've developed their own visual scripting system like Unreal's Blueprint. Actually you can see that they call theirs Blueprint too. Since this kind of system is mostly for high-level gameplay things, you can read interesting things on text... Few things I could make out and think relevant:

Turn_CurrentAngle
Climbing Systems
AreWeaponStowed
SpellLongDuration

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
RPG Codex - Where bitter 30 year old virgins despair over modern games not fulfilling the gaming experiences they had when they were 15.

Excessive nostalgia is clinically defined as a mental disease, seek help.
30 year olds?! Baldurs Gate was released 22 years ago. I doubt many 8 year olds played it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Guess: (straight logic) We will encounter a game with isometric (perhaps diablo 3-4 visual / animation quality) and AAA cinema dialogue scenes. There was a button in the settings section of Dos2 that zoomed the camera angle. (for dialogues) It could probably be an improved version as well. That's why detailed character modeling is important. Of course, these are estimates.

If you're gonna make the environments/models good enough for zoomed in cutscenes and cinematics, why wouldn't they be good enough to walk around exploring in third-person? I guess you could say "they can limit what gets that kind of detail," but I think that would create a graphics disparity in general.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
30 year olds?! Baldurs Gate was released 22 years ago. I doubt many 8 year olds played it.
I'm 29 and that's my case. I played it when I was 10 and actually played it again several years later and was probably 15.
There's little chance that my case is what the op had in mind but I just like to chime in with unnecessary counter-arguments.

Harthwain

Magister
RPG Codex - Where bitter 30 year old virgins despair over modern games not fulfilling the gaming experiences they had when they were 15.

Some math:
  • Baldur's Gate 1 released in 1998, to be played at the age of 15 means one had to be born in 1983. 2020 - 1983 = 37.
  • Baldur's Gate 2 relased in 2000, to be played at the age of 15 means one had to be born in 1985. 2020 - 1985 = 35.

Neerasrc

Learned

If you're gonna make the environments/models good enough for zoomed in cutscenes and cinematics, why wouldn't they be good enough to walk around exploring in third-person? I guess you could say "they can limit what gets that kind of detail," but I think that would create a graphics disparity in general.

Yes, there will be an improvement in the graphic sense. We already knew that. (Transfers from Poland ..) Anyway, only 4 days left anyway -)

zerotol

Arcane
Patron

Reading this again is creepy because i was 15 when it was released. Stop stalking me man.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Some math:
  • Baldur's Gate 1 released in 1998, to be played at the age of 15 means one had to be born in 1983. 2020 - 1983 = 37.
  • Baldur's Gate 2 relased in 2000, to be played at the age of 15 means one had to be born in 1985. 2020 - 1985 = 35.
Now do the math for the enhanced editions. I'm sure some people first played BG with those.

Harthwain

Magister
Now do the math for the enhanced editions. I'm sure some people first played BG with those.
He was taking about "bitter 30 year old virgins despairing over modern games not fulfilling the gaming experiences they had when they were 15". Enhanced editions would be closer to 20 than 30:

2012 - 15 = 1997. 2020 - 1997 = 23 (+1 for Steam version).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was pretty picky when I was 15 tbh. I'd say I'm more forgiving now, I guess the overall decline does that to one's standards. And if wanting quality makes me a despairing virgin, bring on the doom metal and incel forums.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Yes, there will be an improvement in the graphic sense.

Will it? Because if it's cartoony like Divinity that already kills it for me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, there will be an improvement in the graphic sense. We already knew that. (Transfers from Poland ..) Anyway, only 4 days left anyway -)

My point was more that if the graphics are good enough for in-engine cutscenes and dialog moments, they're good enough to walk around in third-person through. If that's the case, why wouldn't you have a third-person exploration mode? It would dramatically raise your potential sales.

Neerasrc

Learned

Yes, there will be an improvement in the graphic sense.

Will it? Because if it's cartoony like Divinity that already kills it for me.

It depends on how successful the people from the cd projekt red team are. (Divinity engine core improvements) We will see this 4 days later, but it is certain that we will see a better and darker tone in dos2. I still have hope. It could be something at The Temple of Elemental Evil level. (I'm still optimistic) :)

Neerasrc

Learned

My point was more that if the graphics are good enough for in-engine cutscenes and dialog moments, they're good enough to walk around in third-person through. If that's the case, why wouldn't you have a third-person exploration mode? It would dramatically raise your potential sales.

The possibility of "might and magic legacy" style has been discussed before here -) A lot of theory can be produced, but there is no need, because there is very little time left. Let's wait and see.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Speak for yourself, I was out there playing it without knowing any English. Brute-forcing my way through the game not knowing what the objectives were.

"You must gather your cats before venturing forth..."
"Heya, it's me, Mr Bigglesworth the Third"
"Your foster father, famous imp Xourexexaxix, raised you in the library fortress of Sourcekeep on the shores of Frying-Pan coast..."

Yeah, can't wait.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The possibility of "might and magic legacy" style has been discussed before here -) A lot of theory can be produced, but there is no need, because there is very little time left. Let's wait and see.

I more mean Dragon Age: Origins style, which is what I expect, but yes... we'll see soon.

Neerasrc

Learned

I more mean Dragon Age: Origins style, which is what I expect, but yes... we'll see soon.

If a gameplay like "DAO" comes out, we will have to wait too long. The size of the game is obvious. About 100 hours of experience (bg3) The number of employees for an AAA level game is already low. (350) No publisher support. (they will publish themselves) Larian has no big budget anyway. Hasbro (wotc) has to send money to Larian. Otherwise, the project will be canceled. (Maybe kickstarter can solve this problem) In summary, it becomes a very problematic process. I don't think Larian will take this risk.

jf8350143

Liturgist
From Larian's perspective, they've had good experiences with Early Access - D:OS 1 & 2. So why shouldn't they continue?

I agree. But D:OS was imo more mechanically / gameplay driven than BG3 (muh story and characters) will be. Did anyone care about story spoilers for D:OS?
D:OS2 EA was only the starter island, I doubt BG3 will be different.
you guys cry about literally everything
I don't have a problem with early access, but D:OS 2 is a poor example.

The starter island is almost one third of the game, and easily the best part.

It gives you false ideas about the game's overall quality and length, and spoils the best content of the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If a gameplay like "DAO" comes out, we will have to wait too long. The size of the game is obvious. About 100 hours of experience (bg3) The number of employees for an AAA level game is already low. (350) No publisher support. (they will publish themselves) Larian has no big budget anyway. Hasbro (wotc) has to send money to Larian. Otherwise, the project will be canceled. (Maybe kickstarter can solve this problem) In summary, it becomes a very problematic process. I don't think Larian will take this risk.

I don't think DA:O would require that much investment today. They doubled their staff from Divinity 2 I believe, which was already 3D, so they're not doing the same thing surely. I dunno, we'll see, not saying you're wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom