Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously now, those of you excited at this BG3 reveal, are you excited about anything other than TB 5E?
I didn't see anything that made me be disappointed apart maybe from the initiative system. Getting excited for a game is very rare anyway...
If they indeed stick as close as possible to the 5E and the char system and keep itemization interesting, it'll probably be a great game for me since I also liked the D:OS games, albeit recognizing their faults

Harthwain

Magister
Anyone has a link to their AmA?
Here:
Reminder: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1086940/announcements/detail/1692729524354679495

Baldur's Gate 3 Reddit AMA

Baldur's Gate 3 was a secret for a long while, and we were super excited to finally show it to you at PAX East. We're sure you have loads of questions, and since we're about to embark on an epic adventure together into Early Access, what better time than to sit down and talk with you guys, our party!

Early Access will be a constantly evolving development, and we're happy to have you there for the journey. Every party needs to sit down, camp, and chat. So, let's talk!

Here're all the members of the party:
  • Larian_Swen (Founder & Creative Director)
  • Larian_David (Producer)
  • Larian_NickP (Lead Systems Designer)
  • Larian_Adam (Senior Writer)
  • Larian_Jan (Writing Director)
You can meet them and talk with them at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since I don't have a reddit account, I'd be grateful if someone asks these questions in my stead -

1. Can we multiclass?
2. Are there going to be feats or are they going without that rule?
3. What's up with the weird mind flayer lore?
4. How open are the maps going to be?
5. Are there subclasses?
6. Can they provide us with an option to skip animations?
7. What are roughly going to be the system requirements?
8. Is team-initiative decided on or was that only for the demo?
9. What is the level cap?
10. Are there going to be dungeons like Durlag's Tower?
11. Can we make our own mercenaries and how do they work with the vampiric choice of whether to eat them or not?
12. Can they tone down the SFX?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ask 12 questions is very unlikely, a lot of people will gonna ask. I would try ask two questions

We will be able to speed up animations and use concurrent turns for enemies like ToEE?

And summoning will have a non P&P restriction or will be great like Bg1/Bg2?

Murk

Arcane
Yeah but no one cares about a few mods, now that crap is usually in the base game....
Fun fact: BG2 is literally the only BioWare game that attempts to cuckold the player.

Haer'Dalis and Aerie will start dating each other if the male protagonist hasn't proceeded deep in Aerie's romance route. Haer'Dalis' interference can lead to a love triangle.

Tangentially, don't forget Keldorn's intended end for his side-quest too.

Not only does he get cucked, but you also lose the character as a result if you go through the "good" cuck ending where he sucks up to his wife.

Layers of cuckoldry.

Not sure if Gaider's fault but probably. Also, I didn't realize he came out as gay. Maybe that's why Warden wouldn't stop harassing him here, some weird tsundere love/hate relationship they had.

I might be misremembering but wasn't it explicitly spelled out that he didn't have sex with her?

I don't remember 100% about that, I do remember Edwin literally calls him a cuck though.

I'm replaying BG 2 now, so I can do the side quest and see. I'm finishing up Windspear Hills -- can do the cult of the unseeing eye next.

Elex

Arbiter
I didn't see anything that made me be disappointed apart maybe from the initiative system. Getting excited for a game is very rare anyway...
If they indeed stick as close as possible to the 5E and the char system and keep itemization interesting, it'll probably be a great game for me since I also liked the D:OS games, albeit recognizing their faults
initiative fuck up
short rest fuck up
bonus action fuck up
reaction fuck up

these 4 stuff even if small can fuck up the entire 5e balance (in 5e is all about action economy more than in other D&D versions).

Shadenuat

Arcane
He also role-played as her on the forums one time.
Something new to find out every day... I really missed out a lot in the times when I was unable to read English...:(
This is any who ever played characters knows: most attractive women are written by men. Attractive men for women are often done by women, although that depends. On the other hand, women written by women are only attractive when done by women with really high self esteem. Which even makes men played by women fall for them.

...yeah it's super awkward.

It also creates the rpg rule 1 of internet: if woman character is attractive to you, probably dude plays it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Lukas Kristjanson is to blame for the lack of Haer'Dalis and Valygar romances. Kristjanson was supposed to write all the gals and Gaider was supposed to write all the guys, but Lukas got tangled up with an overscoped, buggy Jaheira and Gaider ended up inheriting Aerie and Viconia and neglecting the other two for lack of time.

Hmm, so irresistible Viconia that many, many boys around here have a hard on for was actually written by a gay man?
:philosoraptor:
Same thing could be said about Morrigan, you know.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
initiative fuck up
short rest fuck up
bonus action fuck up
reaction fuck up

these 4 stuff even if small can fuck up the entire 5e balance (in 5e is all about action economy more than in other D&D versions).

Agree
Don't see a reason why that would provide anything else but an extra button to press between fights?
What is the fuckup here? (Honestly don't know)
That was slightly simplified but it's not gone afaik -though I admit I'm not much into 5E-

jackofshadows

Magister
Lukas Kristjanson is to blame for the lack of Haer'Dalis and Valygar romances. Kristjanson was supposed to write all the gals and Gaider was supposed to write all the guys, but Lukas got tangled up with an overscoped, buggy Jaheira and Gaider ended up inheriting Aerie and Viconia and neglecting the other two for lack of time.

Hmm, so irresistible Viconia that many, many boys around here have a hard on for was actually written by a gay man?
So what? It doesn't change her character even a bit. It's not like Beamdog's inane tranny/bi/whatever new crammed characters written for sake of their inclusiveness alone. So, um, I'll certainly keep my hard on.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Same thing could be said about Morrigan, you know.
Viconia > Morrigan
On the serious note though, Vica is from older and more respected game ang had a good chances to become first RPG love for the whole generation of the boys.

Thunar

Educated
initiative fuck up
short rest fuck up
bonus action fuck up
reaction fuck up

Did they really fuck bonus actions up? I was under the impression that the only thing they did was to allow players to use a potion during their bonus round.

As for reactions, I thought all they did was to simplify them. You can't just remove them as too many spells and abbiliites rely on those. What they said is that the 5e rules for reactions were too open ended for a computer game, which is true, you can literally react to anything. They'll probably add a couple of options of "freeform" reactions if necessary but it's nearly impossible to remove them altogether.

Their decision to remove short rests is strange, though they could implement something different instead. Abbilities that restore after X amount of successful encounters/ennemies killed (possibly based on CR) could work even better than short rests. Recovering a hit dice in a similar way would also be very interesting. I hope that they understand that restricting resting and tight ressources is a core part of what makes DnD fun.

My point here is that most of these fuckups are based on a single line in a single interview with very little context. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that action economy is a core part of 5e and WotC seems to be very conservative with the changes they allow Larian to make (they didn't even allow alignements to take a greater place)

User0001

Savant
So, is anyone else disappointed this isn't RTwP? I don't think anyone's discussed RTwP vs. TB in this thread.

Seriously now, those of you excited at this BG3 reveal, are you excited about anything other than TB 5E? I'd made my peace with it being TB (Larian, WotC, fucking Stadia, of course it was going to be TB) and I was still potentially interested as long as it gave off Baldur's Gate vibes, but I didn't get any out of that presentation. UI, dialog, perspective, team initiative, no alignment, all minor things on their own but they add up. I don't hate what I'm seeing, but it's not doing anything for me either.

True world-reactivity through a massive amount of skill checks that make you able to totally avoid combat (confirmed), seeking treasures and secrets, interesting puzzles, good implementation of traps, interesting sneaking mechanics, massive spell viability both in and out of combat.

A true role-playing experience.

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
Nobody ever accused Gaider of not being able to write a decent romance aimed at straight guys, he was in fact pretty good at writing one archetype in particular. Of course, his newfound sjw audience wasn't happy that gays were writing for straights and vice versa and when Gaider dared to make the suggestion that was perfectly okay, well, you reap what you sow.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since I don't have a reddit account, I'd be grateful if someone asks these questions in my stead -

1. Can we multiclass?
yes

2. Are there going to be feats or are they going without that rule?
without

3. What's up with the weird mind flayer lore?
everything is S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

4. How open are the maps going to be?
like Wasteland 2, as in corridor maps with theme park flavour
definitely not like BG1

5. Are there subclasses?
of course

6. Can they provide us with an option to skip animations?
yes

7. What are roughly going to be the system requirements?
get a job, buy a console and stop asking these kind of @#($! questions

8. Is team-initiative decided on or was that only for the demo?
everything is subject to change

9. What is the level cap?
low enough to reach it mid game so that completionists would be butthurt

10. Are there going to be dungeons like Durlag's Tower?
buy the ADDon aka DLC

11. Can we make our own mercenaries and how do they work with the vampiric choice of whether to eat them or not?
no and you're degenerate

12. Can they tone down the SFX?
no.

Swen owned me one so I forwarded them directly to him

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
True world-reactivity through a massive amount of skill checks that make you able to totally avoid combat (confirmed)

The true faggots are the ones that play a game and choose to avoid any type of combat because they want to "roleplay" a... pacifist.
This is distilled unequivocal indisputable faggotery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom