Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Playing the role of another character in a fantasy world, having stats or an inventory system, are not what makes a game an RPG and lots of people here don't understand what an RPG is - if a game has removed real player agency to focus the player on exploration (adventure) and combat (action) by utilizing quest markers and quest directives (Witcher 3, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3), it's by-definition an Action-Adventure and not an RPG. The 'role-play' in RPG refers to unique player input playing an essential role in shaping the game narrative, and not to the player pretending they're another character (which would mean that Duke 3D and most games are RPGs).

Obviously, going that way, MMO are the only real RPG where pedophiles can roleplay as children to have virtual sex with other pedophiles roleplaying as children.

Lemming42

Arcane
The 'role-play' in RPG refers to unique player input playing an essential role in shaping the game narrative.

But then Wizardry isn't an RPG.

Also I'm not sure why you singled Skyrim and Oblivion out but not Morrowind, because the player doesn't really have any agency over the main plot of Morrowind or Arena either.

You also can't really shape the narrative of, say, Deus Ex. You always end up going from point A to point B, but you can take a couple of different paths to point B.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Too much bait to be actually believable and trigger someone
I hope this statement is also meant to trigger. In case it wasn't: BG2 and especially BG1 are average or "ok" games. That's true but also is triggering some people. Ergo the original poster made an excellent job.
Thinking that someone would consider saying that BG1 and BG2 are not memorable - "too much bait" is proof that there is something wrong with this country forum.
The above was not meant to trigger.

BG3 will be the best Baldur's Gate game because it will be closer to the original system it's based on - aka turn-based. Instead of being the rtwp abominations in a D&D game.
That was meant to trigger.
BG1 and BG2 are so "not memorable" that they are still discussed today after more than 20 years (and they probably will still be discussed 20 years from now)

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Too much bait to be actually believable and trigger someone
I hope this statement is also meant to trigger. In case it wasn't: BG2 and especially BG1 are average or "ok" games. That's true but also is triggering some people. Ergo the original poster made an excellent job.
Thinking that someone would consider saying that BG1 and BG2 are not memorable - "too much bait" is proof that there is something wrong with this country forum.
The above was not meant to trigger.

BG3 will be the best Baldur's Gate game because it will be closer to the original system it's based on - aka turn-based. Instead of being the rtwp abominations in a D&D game.
That was meant to trigger.
BG1 and BG2 are so "not memorable" that they are still discussed today after more than 20 years (and they probably will still be discussed 20 years from now)
So it was serious. Oh my...

Discussed by who? On the codex we discuss all kind of CRPGs. The great, the good and the terrible. Here BGs, especially BG1 isn't held in very great esteem. And certainly not to the point that saying that they aren't that good is "too much bait to be believable". This thread says: "Trigger the codex..." not: "Trigger some mysterious people somewhere". If anything this wouldn't trigger anyone here because people here are already accustomed to negative opinions on BG games, especially BG1. Even if many likes those games. If instead of BGs you'd put Fallout 1 then yes, you perhaps might have a point.

Also, if you want to sperge on the meaning of word "memorable" then Oblivion is very "memorable" on the codex, i assure you. I guess calling Oblivion "not memorable" would be too much bait as well. Who would have thought.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I prefer more a silent protagonist than a speaking one that is constantly saying dumb shit, making him/her unlikeable.

I do think in narrative focused games like Half-Life 2 it's a little weird your character never says a word. I guess you're supposed to talk for them in a sense, in your head, but I don't think it works for me personally. In gameplay focused stuff like Quake or Amid Evil it obviously doesn't matter though, it depends on the narrative heft. Also none of this for me has anything to do with RPGs, which should always have zero voice acting for the PC so you can have way more reactive dialog options.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
The 'role-play' in RPG refers to unique player input playing an essential role in shaping the game narrative.

But then Wizardry isn't an RPG.

Also I'm not sure why you singled Skyrim and Oblivion out but not Morrowind, because the player doesn't really have any agency over the main plot of Morrowind or Arena either.

You also can't really shape the narrative of, say, Deus Ex. You always end up going from point A to point B, but you can take a couple of different paths to point B.

I haven't played Wizardry, but the rule is pretty solid. Action-Adventure games have been marketed as RPGs for ages because it works. People get lured by the idea of playing something more sophisticated and multi-dimensional.

I specified Bethesda's Oblivion-onward game because Bethesda first started using quest markers and spelling everything out with quest directives with Oblivion. Morrowind still presents the player with information and often leaves it up to them to figure out what to do with it.

I think of Deus Ex as a hybrid, and more of an action game. It's categorizes as Action on Steam (not that the Steam store is reliable for that stuff). Games don't have to be full-fledged RPGs to be enticing, and I think that Witcher 3 and the Assassin's Creed games are examples of how expansive and rich the Action-Adventure genre can be. Heck, I think Assassin's Creed games have become a lot more shit since Ubisoft decided to change their gameplay to feature a range of generic token RPG elements (though Unity and Syndicate were shit, too).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Found something that seemed to rile a lot of people, so here it goes

Homeschooling should be made illegal everywhere in the world, not just some countries

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Why are there so many casuals here?
That's the nature of RPGs these days. What to know what I'm talking about? Take Disco Elysium for example. It's a phenomenal RPG - but people bitch about it non-stop. Nobody ever said an RPG requires "awesome combat" to be good. Disco Elysium is like Wizardry 7 without combat - so many layers and options. No two play-through are the same, and I've played it 4 times already!

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Every RPG needs a story mode to make sure an average Codexer can play it without going through the trouble of looking up the most overpowered build.

Actually, screw that -- every RPG needs a 'Romance Mode' where everything is removed except for the most essential part of every classic™ RPG.

Vatnik Wumao
It's simply not efficient. Either have a RT system akin to DoW II or have it be TB.

With RTwP you either get easy encounters in which you end up just speeding it up and waiting for the combat to play out by itself OR you waste time in harder encounters by waiting for cooldowns and/or current actions to end, pause the game and then issue the next actions within your party's character rotations.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Any game made before '96 is trash due to technical limitations.
Grognards who like them are nostalgia blinded faggots.
1996-2003 is the golden era of not only CRPGs, but PC games in general.
That said PF:KM is better than Baldur's Gate 1&2.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
But this is unironically true.
I know. So is the fact that PF:KM is better than Baldur's Gate.
In fact, I honestly think Baldur's Gate is the worst of the IE games.
It's an absolute fucking slog. Movement speed is atrocious, and the pathfinding is even worse.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BG3 can't be shit because the IP is so pretigious. Even if it comes out, and it's garbage, they can just patch it to goodness like they did with DOW3. Story is irrelevant: as long as it has great AAA voice acting (like what-her-name from GOT in DOW3) and awesome graphics - big tiddies also don't matter either - the romances will be incredible by default.

Vatnik Wumao
BG3 can't be shit because the IP is so pretigious. Even if it comes out, and it's garbage, they can just patch it to goodness like they did with DOW3. Story is irrelevant: as long as it has great AAA voice acting (like what-her-name from GOT in DOW3) and awesome graphics - big tiddies also don't matter either - the romances will be incredible by default.
iu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom